IGNORED

Why Apple?

...what if you want MS Visual C++ or are accustomed to using XCode?

Then throw me off the nearest bridge! ;)

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Not sure where this thread is going but I'm having no real issues since I decided to move from FLAC to ALAC - currently listening via F2K on the Mac Mini's copy of Win2012Server - just as happy listening to the same tracks via Decibel in Mavericks. I also have - shock, horror - a slew of 256K AAC retrieved via iTunes : its quick and convenient and I dont really need to hear artists like Rihanna and Jessie J in 24/192. For those with truly massive FLAC collections (terabytes) I can understand why you might be hesitant to make the change, but I have no regrets. Any CDs I buy from this point will be ripped straight to ALAC using EAC - to my ears, it sounds identical to my FLAC rips.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

I've been using windows at work and mac at home for about 6 years. the biggest difference I can see is that to close an application in Mac, the button is up on the left. In windows, it's up on the right.

If you're not a "power user" (e.g., intent on poking around in the control panel, running commands in the console, etc.), they are very similar, as you note. My non-technical partner had literally no difficulty moving from Windows > Mac a few years back, while it took me a quite a bit longer, as I knew Windows rather intimately ;) and I kept getting lost looking for settings / tweaks I knew from Windows.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

It is so bizarre to me that we have such conversations as this thread. It has been my experience that I enjoy both Apple and Windows computers and software and transition smoothly from one to the other and back again both at home and at work and with my mobile computing.

If I were a programer or power user, I would easily add Linux based machines to the list (I've run Linux machines but struggle as I am not comfortable with command language...it would have been much easier for me back when I used to run a DOS prompt if I had gone right to Linux but instead went to Windows and OSX). I do see the value of Linux and find the lack of "bulk" make them run so fast on machines that are too weak to run current versions of Windows or OSX smoothly.

At this point, I don't see any need for "which one is better" and instead which is the right tool for the task at hand. Perhaps I am the one ecumenical computer user on the forum as I am truly happily integrated with both Apple and Windows machines.

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I never used a Mac, but I am sure that it I did, I would be as equally happy as I am using Windows. It simply was a case of being forced to quit using terminals one day and having a Windows 95 PC in front of me.

I got used to it and have stayed with Windows products since. The only motivations I have today in using Windows is that I am in first line support for problems at the office and am happy using it at home even if sometimes I find the changes from version to version not to be very intuitive.

But using XXHighEnd, JRiver and all that I need simply did not trigger the need for a change... Even if I had a lot of fun working with Unix before and all the power the scripts could allow me to use (Awk, Sed, If, Grep, etc)...

I have always thought that Unix (and Linux) were better, I still do, but I do not feel I need to quit Windows. Maybe one day I will go back to Unix (or Linux), but it's not a matter of "this one is better than that one"... They all have their plus and minus.

Alain

It is so bizarre to me that we have such conversations as this thread. It has been my experience that I enjoy both Apple and Windows computers and software and transition smoothly from one to the other and back again both at home and at work and with my mobile computing.

If I were a programer or power user, I would easily add Linux based machines to the list (I've run Linux machines but struggle as I am not comfortable with command language...it would have been much easier for me back when I used to run a DOS prompt if I had gone right to Linux but instead went to Windows and OSX). I do see the value of Linux and find the lack of "bulk" make them run so fast on machines that are too weak to run current versions of Windows or OSX smoothly.

At this point, I don't see any need for "which one is better" and instead which is the right tool for the task at hand. Perhaps I am the one ecumenical computer user on the forum as I am truly happily integrated with both Apple and Windows machines.

Best,

John

The thread was initially made so I could find out why everyone was buying macs for audio. No other reason but just out of curiosity. Being new here and not familiar with the audio side of mac I thought there could have possibly been a serious reason for it. Like possibly better sound quality or some other serious reason. That's why I made the thread to begin with.

Now that I know that Macs sound no better than PC's and vice versa, and most people just buy them for cosmetic design reasons and because they like the OS better than windows that's all I need to know. You can lock the thread. It doesn't need to deteriorate into a PC vs Mac thread. Buy what you buy. Live and let live.

Love it. wgscott, keepin' it surreal.

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Does Beck's affiliation with Scientology alter your opinion of his new album, NostrilPhase?

Tried most of Unixes, Windows and Macs, now you are telling me that Scientology is so much better... is it compatible with Octa-DSD?

Beck is a Scientologist! Oh well, nobody is perfect.

lost in that music library

Tried most of Unixes, Windows and Macs, now you are telling me that Scientology is so much better... is it compatible with Octa-DSD?

Beck is a Scientologist! Oh well, nobody is perfect.

Yeah, well I know enough not to believe that line of BS. The mac cult is bad enough....

Now that I know that Macs sound no better than PC's and vice versa, and most people just buy them for cosmetic design reasons and because they like the OS better than windows that's all I need to know. You can lock the thread. It doesn't need to deteriorate into a PC vs Mac thread. Buy what you buy. Live and let live.

The mac cult is bad enough....

Buy what you buy. Live and let live. doesn't really gel with comments about Mac and cults...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

What sounds better has lots to do with software players, DACs, etc., and everyone has his or her own opinion. You didn't really scratch the surface of that here because people didn't feel like arguing about that on top of everything else. But in one respect it parallels the Win/Mac/Linux discussion: Specifics are far more significant than generalities, i.e., to get an answer that works for you, the more specific the information you provide the better the answer you'll get.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Oh, also another question i've been wondering about is why in some of the photos a lot of you guys put your amps and other equipment directly on the floor? Is this due to cutting out vibrations. Some people also put them on granite blocks. Just a couple questions i've been wondering about for a while. Thanks.

OK, time to move on to the second question!

What sounds better has lots to do with software players, DACs, etc., and everyone has his or her own opinion. You didn't really scratch the surface of that here because people didn't feel like arguing about that on top of everything else. But in one respect it parallels the Win/Mac/Linux discussion: Specifics are far more significant than generalities, i.e., to get an answer that works for you, the more specific the information you provide the better the answer you'll get.

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have even posted it. It was obviously a stupid question. Now I realize this. I guess the quality of speakers and dac/amp make the most difference as far a sound quality. Way more of a difference than what computer someone uses.

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have even posted it. It was obviously a stupid question. Now I realize this. I guess the quality of speakers and dac/amp make the most difference as far a sound quality. Way more of a difference than what computer someone uses.

I think it does matter but mostly once you start tweaking the computer...linear power supplies, USB cards, optimization programs (that shut down unnecessary background activity in the computer), etc. It also matters when you decide how you are going to play back the files (PCM only, DSD and PCM, or DSD only).

My Windows based CAPS won't up convert PCM to x2 DSD but the new Mac Mini and the CAPS Zuma will, for example. So it depends on what you want to accomplish, the ease with which you want to accomplish it, and the flexibility to tweak all matter more than "Mac or Windows" questions.

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Hi Rchunter,

They say that there is no stupid question... You don't have to apologize, on the contrary. You were curious to know why Apple seems to have the preference and it is quite allright. You are not responsible for some answers that triggered the This vs That aspect of things...

Alain