IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

• 2 weeks later...
Patch to fix KEF X300A issue was commited for Linux 3.11. The Aries use Linux 3.10. It will be supported when Auralic upgrade the kernel.

I'm pleased to report that my Aries running latest 2.9.2 firmware now works great with KEF X300A speakers over a direct USB connection. The Linux kernel upgrade must have made the difference.

My current streaming configuration uses MinimServer/MinimStreamer/FFMPEG to transcode redbook FLAC content to 24/88.2 to feed the Aries over 5GHz wireless then to the X300A. The sound is decent.

I'm having an issue where, around half the time I start up the Aries, it hangs indefinitely at the "ARIES STARTING..." message. When this happens, I can work around it by power cycling the PSU, and turning on the Aries once more. However, it is a bit of a nuisance...

Has anyone else had this issue, and happened to find a fix?

I'm having an issue where, around half the time I start up the Aries, it hangs indefinitely at the "ARIES STARTING..." message. When this happens, I can work around it by power cycling the PSU, and turning on the Aries once more. However, it is a bit of a nuisance...

Is the issue new with the latest firmware?

Anything else change in your configuration lately?

If nothing else I would recommend sending an email to Auralic support, at [email protected].

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I have seen this too. About once a week, or every 20-30 startups.

I haven't isolated it to anything I can reproduce.

Ive had similar problems in the past and they were related to the Aries losing network connection or not being able to connect. My issues were resolved by leaving the unit on 24x7 and turning off a nightly reboot that was happening on my router. Since then, the only times I've had to power cycle are related to power outages, which the Aries isn't a big fan of. FWIW, I leave all of my equipment on 24x7.

""ARIES STARTING..." message." Initially I thought it was related to the latest Aries firmware, though I noticed a pattern. My ISP in OZ (Telstra) was doing maintenance in the early hours of the morning, so I was losing my internet connection.

I find that the Aries prefers to be the last device turned on (after powering up the ISP modem and router). Normally I leave Aries, ISP modem, router, powered on all the time. With my ISP modem going offline due to maintenance, it upset the order.

Add to that, is Tidal seems to be broken in Australia (stuttering, pauses) did not help.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

For me, the "ARIES STARTING..." message is unrelated to the firmware version, as I've had the issue with every firmware version ever used.

I'll try futzing with my network settings, and if nothing resolves the issue, I may resort to leaving the Aries on 24/7.

Yes, just leaving it powered all of the time solved this problem completely for me.

Is there any reason not to leave it on?

On occasion I do need to power back up I no longer have any hangups.

Only time mine is powered down is if I'll be away from the house for multiple days.

Is there any reason not to leave it on?

My whole system is plugged into a PS Audio power regenerator, which I power off after a listening session. This makes it natural to turn off the Aries, along with everything else.

That said, the regenerator can designate certain outlets as being "always on," and so I'll probably do that to keep the Aries running continuously.

My whole system is plugged into a PS Audio power regenerator, which I power off after a listening session. This makes it natural to turn off the Aries, along with everything else.

That said, the regenerator can designate certain outlets as being "always on," and so I'll probably do that to keep the Aries running continuously.

Sounds like a plan.

My understanding is that it takes a couple of hours for the Aries' Femto clocks to achieve thermal stability.

Hi

I just bought a used Aries with Femto clocks and LPS. However, I am in a 240V country and the LPS is on 110V. Does anyone have detailed instructions (read idiot proof as I am totally useless in this regards) on how to convert the LPS to 240V? Step by step with pics if possible please would be much appreciated. Hopefully no soldering is needed.

Also, this may be a silly question and I don't know if it has been answered before. I am using a Macbook with Mac OS X 10.6.8 as the server. It is an older Macbook and cannot be updated OS wise. Minimserver requires a newer OS or at least the versions I can find on their website. So I guess to use an Aries, I will need a newer computer.

I am currently able to run Logitech Media Server on this Macbook. Can I continue to use Logitech Media Server and use the Aries as a bridge/ player ? If so, that would be great as it would save me having to fork out for a new computer on top of an Aries.

Thanks

Hi Mickey8811, there is an explanation by Hauser on how to change the input voltage on the power supply. Go back and read post #1694.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

Hi mickey8811, what is your e-mail? I can forward some pictures that was sent to me by Jtwrace on how to change input voltage.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

Hi mickey8811, I sent the pictures. Do you get it?

2 Ch stereo

Hi mickey8811, I have not change the input voltage on my power supply. I only wanted that information on how to do so if i ever travel overseas.

2 Ch stereo

Also, this may be a silly question and I don't know if it has been answered before. I am using a Macbook with Mac OS X 10.6.8 as the server. It is an older Macbook and cannot be updated OS wise. Minimserver requires a newer OS or at least the versions I can find on their website. So I guess to use an Aries, I will need a newer computer.

I am currently able to run Logitech Media Server on this Macbook. Can I continue to use Logitech Media Server and use the Aries as a bridge/ player ? If so, that would be great as it would save me having to fork out for a new computer on top of an Aries.

Hi mikey8811

You've got a couple of options if you want to use the Logitech Media Server on the Macbook with the Aries.

The first option is to run LMS as a UPnP media server for the Aries and you can therefore use the Aries as it normally is, ie, as a UPnP or OpenHome streamer. You need to make sure the UPnP/DLNA media interface plugin is installed and enabled on LMS. You should then be able to use the Aries's Lightning controller app, to access the LMS's music library as a UPnP media server, for playback to the Aries. Unfortunately, it's been a while since this plugin was updated and some have found it a bit buggy to use with their UPnP streamers. Also, you'll only be able to access LMS's music file library and not any of LMS's added component services, such as internet radio or Spotify, etc.

The alternative is to run the Aries as a Squeezebox device, by installing the excellent UPnP/DLNA bridge 3rd party plugin for LMS. So you'll be able to use any Squeezebox controller app with the Squeezebox emulated Aries. You should also be able to access LMS's added component services, so internet radio, etc, even the popular Spotify & ickStream (for TIDAL, Qobuz, Deezer, etc) plugins, as well as the normal music file library. The UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin is very well supported by its developer, so is certainly worth trying, see:

Announce: UPnPBridge = integrate UPnP/DLNA players with LMS (squeeze2upnp)

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi mikey8811

You've got a couple of options if you want to use the Logitech Media Server on the Macbook with the Aries.

Thanks John

That was really helpful. Would either method compromise the sound quality of the Aries? If so, which one more than the other?

With the latter option, would the Aries then simply be a substitute for the Squeezebox Touch I was using for a player? If so, would it also be subjected to the constant rebuffering I experienced on the Squeezebox Touch?

Thanks again.

While I am not John, who offered wonderful recommendations, my thought is either method should reward you in regards to sound quality, I don't see one as worse than the other.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Thanks

Minimserver is an excellent choice and I do not want to persuade you otherwise, but as an interim solution the Aries Lightning DS contains its own server (LightningServer).

This will give you time to consider the other excellent advice provided.

Thanks John

That was really helpful. Would either method compromise the sound quality of the Aries? If so, which one more than the other?

With the latter option, would the Aries then simply be a substitute for the Squeezebox Touch I was using for a player? If so, would it also be subjected to the constant rebuffering I experienced on the Squeezebox Touch?

Thanks again.

I certainly would not expect either method to compromise on sound quality. The UPnP media server method directly accesses the original music file data when network streaming, as the Aries would normally do anyway. The UPnPBridge/Squeeze2UPnP method does make a copy of the original music files, as it requires to buffer the data between the emulated 'Squeezebox' Aries it creates and the data being streamed by the real Aries. However, the understanding is that this buffering of data is bit perfect, unless the user has for some reason instructed the LMS transcoder to be employed and only then if the transcoder is set in a way to cause it to do otherwise.

Yes, you are correct in thinking that with the UPnPBridge, the Aries would simply be a substitute for your Squeezebox Touch. However, this does not necessarily mean you'll get any of the buffering delays you experienced with the Touch. Just make sure you are using the latest version of the Logitech Media Server on the Macbook.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks again John

I have LMS 7.7.3 . This is the latest version my Macbook can support. Does it matter?

So once I have selected the UPnPBridge and installed it, I can pretty much use iPeng to control the Aries like a Squeezebox Touch?

With the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface enabled, is it a case then of using Lightning DS to control the Aries?

I have LMS 7.7.3 . This is the latest version my Macbook can support. Does it matter?
You may be able to install one of the later versions, using the nightly releases installer:

Some Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.7

Some Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.8

Some Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.9

However, it might be best to stick with what you've got, especially if you are still using the Squeezebox Touch with it. Only try to update it if the UPnPBridge plugin can't be installed or doesn't work. Version 7.8.1 is considered stable and 7.9 is considered to be in beta stage. It might help to look at the changelog:

GitHub & BitBucket HTML Preview

So once I have selected the UPnPBridge and installed it, I can pretty much use iPeng to control the Aries like a Squeezebox Touch?

With the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface enabled, is it a case then of using Lightning DS to control the Aries?

Yes to both.

-- Jo Cox