IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

I look forward to seeing this next level Aries, I have always enjoyed the flagship model as well as the Aries Mini. And yes the investment in software and firmware has come a long, long way over the past few years.

All the best.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

According to the specs sheet listed above from Acoustic Sounds, it has USB 2.0 input for external disk. Should not be a problem using an HDD, load it up as much as you want, I may do the same thing at first since I'm not too great at understanding the networking aspect myself (only recently got a NAS and it seems to act a bit wonky sometimes). I would still like to see some reviews of this thing first before buying it as I am torn between this or just buying a Macbook Pro, which can obviously be used for a lot more, but still makes a pretty nice music server. The initial impressions I've read from Computer Audiophile seem to suggest the Lightning app is not up to par yet either, which is a pretty big concern.

[TABLE=width: 320]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 5]sms marketing[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Neither JRiver or Roon is a part of your product. The Internet radio and streaming integration are done by control software, your product can not use Internet radio or streaming without proper control software. The compare chart I upload is to compare the product but not product plus 3rd party software. I dont see any misunderstanding by describe microRendu's Internet radio and streaming service ability as: "Network endpoint only, supported features depend on compatible streaming protocol customer is going to use". If you believe microRendu should be listed with those feature supported, then I can say my $10 bluetooth headset also support everything because I can use other control software and stream to it.

When you use Airplay and Roon Ready don't you fall into the same category. You need 3rd party software just as much as I do and I have no objection to it.

I look forward to seeing this next level Aries, I have always enjoyed the flagship model as well as the Aries Mini. And yes the investment in software and firmware has come a long, long way over the past few years.

All the best.

+1

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

According to the specs sheet listed above from Acoustic Sounds, it has USB 2.0 input for external disk. Should not be a problem using an HDD, load it up as much as you want, I may do the same thing at first since I'm not too great at understanding the networking aspect myself (only recently got a NAS and it seems to act a bit wonky sometimes). I would still like to see some reviews of this thing first before buying it as I am torn between this or just buying a Macbook Pro, which can obviously be used for a lot more, but still makes a pretty nice music server. The initial impressions I've read from Computer Audiophile seem to suggest the Lightning app is not up to par yet either, which is a pretty big concern.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/auralic-aries-part-2#G4axjBH3sWabX3ir.97

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

The initial impressions I've read from Computer Audiophile seem to suggest the Lightning app is not up to par yet either, which is a pretty big concern.

I had an opportunity to use the Lightning app for quite a long time at a local dealer. I found nothing lacking in it, the app did everything that I wanted it to do. I didn't find it to be "not up to parr" with apps like MPaD or JRemote, and you at least know that the app will continue to receive support from the developer, you can't say that about MPaD or JRemote. I haven't used apps like Lumin or the Linn apps, so maybe there are better ones out there.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I had an opportunity to use the Lightning app for quite a long time at a local dealer. I found nothing lacking in it, the app did everything that I wanted it to do. I didn't find it to be "not up to parr" with apps like MPaD or JRemote, and you at least know that the app will continue to receive support from the developer, you can't say that about MPaD or JRemote. I haven't used apps like Lumin or the Linn apps, so maybe there are better ones out there.

Completely agree that the Auralic's Lightening app is no slouch and NOT at all a "good reason" not to purchase.

The nice thing about Lightning Server is it will also work with the Lumin controller app.

I preferred using Lumin as it responded more quickly after being returned to the foreground.

Lumin used to crash though if the queue contained any Tidal tracks.

Roon is my favorite of these.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I found the Lumin app easier to navigate my library with and visually more appealing than the Lightning controller. About the only Lightning feature I missed was sort by album import date.

Thanks.

I would not want to be w/o the "Recent Imports" window since I use it frequently.

Here's another question: What's the "big deal" about Aries doing NAA?

I'll assume it will allow it to be worked into a setup using HQP.

If so, why use an Aries to do that when there are many other and prob better ways?

Here's another question: What's the "big deal" about Aries doing NAA?

I'll assume it will allow it to be worked into a setup using HQP.

If so, why use an Aries to do that when there are many other and prob better ways?

Wasn't the HQ Player thing about it sounding better even at its basic mode without any upsampling?

About the only Lightning feature I missed was sort by album import date.

semi-OT but... one great feature of Roon is you can have it set import date to file/folder creation or modification date so, when I moved from Audirvana, years of import history were back :)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

This is an interesting quote, and it probably applies to HQ Player as well.

I remember I mentioned before when answered some customers' question that I do not recommend people to buy ARIES if they just want to use it as a Roon endpoint. The Roon endpoint code is provided by Roon, you can not optimize it and every manufacutere's RoonReady device are pretty much the same on software side. A RPi with good power supply and USB regeneration circuit (Regen, jitterbug) will do similar thing if they know how to set it up. ARIES is for people whom want a simple setup, one stop solution product with audiophile sound quality.
This is an interesting quote, and it probably applies to HQ Player as well.

Yes, it is.

The dual computer, microRendu, HQP setup is the ONLY one sounded better, overall, to me than my optimized Aries.

It proved to be a BEAR to make it work/keep it working, plus to do it RIGHT is WAY more expensive than an Aries.

Mr. Wang didn't say but it is also a fact that the Aries will benefit from the Regen, or even better the Wyred Recovery.

Yes, it is.

The dual computer, microRendu, HQP setup is the ONLY one sounded better, overall, to me than my optimized Aries.

It proved to be a BEAR to make it work/keep it working, plus to do it RIGHT is WAY more expensive than an Aries.

Mr. Wang didn't say but it is also a fact that the Aries will benefit from the Regen, or even better the Wyred Recovery.

Yes, I found that the new firmware, which caches to internal memory, was an improvement. When I added a W4S and an Sbooster Ultra power supply, the sound quality from Aries was really elevated to a high level.

Yes, I found that the new firmware, which caches to internal memory, was an improvement. When I added a W4S and an Sbooster Ultra power supply, the sound quality from Aries was really elevated to a high level.

Would someone please tell me what the SBooster power supply does that the stock Aries LPS doesn't? Why is it better? Not challenging anyone, just really interested in knowing. The SBooster adds about another $600 to the price of the $1700 Aries.

Would someone please tell me what the SBooster power supply does that the stock Aries LPS doesn't? Why is it better? Not challenging anyone, just really interested in knowing. The SBooster adds about another $600 to the price of the $1700 Aries.

Same just better really. There is some detail here: Audio Ramblings - The Auralic Aries and SBooster Linear Power Supply - Positive Feedback

I also have an Aries LE so I can use the Aries LPS with that and get a benefit, so that helps with the added cost.

Well I must say I'm impressed with the V4.0 beta6 Firmware, I agree that it's a big step up in SQ coming from my Aries Mini.... really pleased! So pleased that I'm going to invest in the upcoming new Aries mentioned above by Mr Wang. Has anyone seen any information as to when the new unit will be available in the UK?

awesome!

New Aries wish list:

SSD HD for internal storage

isolated usb3.0/3.1 output

faster processor

DSD 512 output (don't know why just sounds cool like my chord dave)

MQA (might as well just do this for bells and whistles)

beefier linear power supply

more refined exterior case