IGNORED

New Manhattan Dac from Mytek

A test has been published in the HighFidelity Polish Magazine, by the (ex-)6 Moons collaborator Wojciech Pacula :

High Fidelity

Someone in the Head-Fi forum has received it :

Mytek Manhattan : PCM/DSD DAC-Pre With Headphone AMP - Page 3

Anyone have other news about the Manhattan ?

We listened to one at the Warsaw Show with Sveda speakers. Cant recall if it was doing Preamp duties... It was very nice, but I prefer well implemented tube Dacs for the richer sound.

We listened to one at the Warsaw Show with Sveda speakers. Cant recall if it was doing Preamp duties... It was very nice, but I prefer well implemented tube Dacs for the richer sound.

What seems interesting about this DAC (which uses by default a SABRE ES9018 chipset) is the forthcoming feature of DSD 256 upsampling (for both PCM and DSD signals, I presume), and then a simpler path for the conversion to analog (without any chipset). Anyway, that's what I understand from the following excerpt of the HighFidelity test (badly translated from Polish) :

Also under development is the addition of hardware upsampling to 256DSD that interesting "improves" the work of DAC. This improvement consists in the fact that the mode is omitted DSD DAC chipset and a large part of the digital signal processing ("interpolation filters"), and like any simplification of the track, this translates into "clean" signal.

These new features are planned as firmware upgrade at the beginning of 2015, when we will also be offering optical input for connecting SACD transport, and shortly afterwards a very good quality phono board.

This D-to-A conversion from DSD without a chipset would be similar to what is done in the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC or Lampizator ?

Better power supplies, femto clock (sound like something from Flash Gordon), fancy casework, Thunderbolts and lightning...

Anyone hear one and can give a report on this baby?

Smoother on top, with better bass articulation...

Well seem they transformed the 192 into a Nad M51......( but with dsd and a headphone jack).

This D-to-A conversion from DSD without a chipset would be similar to what is done in the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC or Lampizator ?

Dont know how they do it, but PSA does NOT do it like Lampi.

The Tube output stage is also integral to Lampi DSD and neither PSA now Mytek is tube based.

Dont know how they do it, but PSA does NOT do it like Lampi.

The Tube output stage is also integral to Lampi DSD and neither PSA now Mytek is tube based.

According to Mytek's specs for the Manhattan DAC, it uses the "ESS Sabre chipset in 8 mono to 2 stereo config" for Analog to Digital conversion. See https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/manhattan-dac/

That is different than the approach used by the PS Audio DirectStream and also different than the approach used by Lampizator.

As always, your best bet is to audition these units before purchase.

According to Mytek's specs for the Manhattan DAC, it uses the "ESS Sabre chipset in 8 mono to 2 stereo config" for Analog to Digital conversion. See https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/manhattan-dac/

Yes, that's the default behaviour of the Manhattan, by I was referring to the forthcoming "DSD256 upsampling" functionality : from the HighFidelity magazine translation, it seemed that the resulting DSD signal would be converted to analog without using the Sabre chipset.

I guess we'll have to wait till this functionnality is available (and till the Manhattan DAC is more widespread...).

• 3 weeks later...

Looking fwd to ted_b's review ... enjoyed the PSAudio DirectStream Dac review & it's ongoing discussions. Go on, hook up a bunch for another take on Mytek multi-channel ...!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

It's a shame, I never listened to better PCM, even at 16/44, with my new Big7...!

But waiting for better tubes now.

Roch

PS/ Your life is safe now, ha, ha, ha...

There is a guy in Ebay from Brazil selling great tubes at reasonable prices. Radioveio….check him out.

Perhaps like the Nagra Dac, it will have a FPGA engine for doing DSD, bypassing the sabre Dac chip.

Unlike the Nagra, it will not have a tube output stage.

AFAIK, only the PCM-to-DSD256 upsampling will be done outside the Sabre silicon, the D/A conversion is still handled by the standard ESS chip.

AFAIK, only the PCM-to-DSD256 upsampling will be done outside the Sabre silicon, the D/A conversion is still handled by the standard ESS chip.

AFAIK, yes, PCM-to-DSD256 upsampling after firmware upgrade in spring.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I do not like the concept of these DACs at all, you have to spend your money for functions you do not need:

1.)Expensive casework: I would like to do A-B with a studio version of the same DAC in a standard case.

2.)PCM to DSD upsampling: This is better done by a good software player in a computer

3.)Internal preamp: Nowhere near as good as a good external preamp.

Matt

Thanks.

Can someone speaking german sumarize the overal impression of the reviewver. Was it happy With the DAC signature ? and with the built-in headphone amp ?

Translated:

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hifistatement.net%2Ftests%2Fitem%2F1446-mytek-manhattan&edit-text=

See my comments in blue

1.)Expensive casework: I would like to do A-B with a studio version of the same DAC in a standard case.

Well, this a feature playing a very important role for almost any hifi gear. Apart from that, A-B tests (at least when blinded) are not as simple as it might seem. For instance, the German review compares the sound of the Manhattan to an acoustic memory of the 192-DAC. This is hardly possible, and the impressions he got probably stem most from the casing. In other words, I guess he would have had the same impressions if the 192-DAC had been in the same casing.

2.)PCM to DSD upsampling: This is better done by a good software player in a computer

Both of these options are nice to have and can be by-passed. I would, however, underline your last point. A dedicated preamplifier can do a very good job. To me, this is the only electronic device that can substantially and blind-test proof contribute to major sonic changes.

See my comments in blue

Originally Posted by matthias

Well, this a feature playing a very important role for almost any hifi gear. Apart from that, A-B tests (at least when blinded) are not as simple as it might seem. For instance, the German review compares the sound of the Manhattan to an acoustic memory of the 192-DAC. This is hardly possible, and the impressions he got probably stem most from the casing. In other words, I guess he would have had the same impressions if the 192-DAC had been in the same casing.

Both of these options are nice to have and can be by-passed. I would, however, underline your last point. A dedicated preamplifier can do a very good job. To me, this is the only electronic device that can substantially and blind-test proof contribute to major sonic changes.

At the time of the review the Mytek 192 was at hand, so both DACs could be compared directly.

I would estimate the additional costs of the "jewelry" case to be around USD 2000 for the end customer.

Yes, you are right that both options are nice to have and can be bypassed, but they are redundant and you have to pay for.

Matt