IGNORED

New Manhattan Dac from Mytek

Healthy price increase.

--David

And just for a minor addition of decoding capability for MQA-encoded sources, which IIRC was never analyzed scientifically except the claim by the developer. BTW, was there any official announcement from Mytek?

I'm reading an implication that they've also changed the USB input. Maybe they've changed the Manhattan to have the same USB input as the Brooklyn? If so, fewer driver issues, and would help justify the price increase.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Mytek Introduces New Upscale Manhatten II MQA DAC | Ultra High-End Audio and Home Theater Review

Finally Mytek introduced new Manhattan 2 with option for Manhattan users to upgrade.

Do they still support Manhattan 1 by fixing El Capitan USB issue? I'm not sure as they kept quiet. :(

Now ESS is providing a beta version of ES9038pro for the high end product of Ayre. If a Manhattan II is really coming, it also should be implemented with this new ESS chip worth for upgrade, which will soon be adopted by the DAC boards of lower price within a year or so.

Now ESS is providing a beta version of ES9038pro for the high end product of Ayre. If a Manhattan II is really coming, it also should be implemented with this new ESS chip worth for upgrade, which will soon be adopted by the DAC boards of lower price within a year or so.

Well, this is a good news. Michal clearly stated to deploy 9038PRO for Manhattan II in the interview here. I'll be expecting their announcement of upgrade, with, if possible, implementation of I2S connectivity.

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone here had the opportunity of comparing the Resolution Audio Cantata with the Manhattan? just curious.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

• 1 month later...
Well, this is a good news. Michal clearly stated to deploy 9038PRO for Manhattan II in the interview here. I'll be expecting their announcement of upgrade, with, if possible, implementation of I2S connectivity.

Has anyone seen an update on the ETA of the Manhattan upgrade with the 9038Pro?

Thought I read somewhere that ESS had some sort of production issue.

Has anyone seen an update on the ETA of the Manhattan upgrade with the 9038Pro?

Thought I read somewhere that ESS had some sort of production issue.

Wondering the same thing.....Michal mentioned August, and I thought I saw somewhere online recently the Manhattan II would be available in September.

Curious about the new USB implementation........I get the occasional digital dropout via USB from a Mac mini on my Manhattan.....especially when going from PCM to DSD. Hoping the new driverless USB will remedy this.

TD

Curious about the new USB implementation........I get the occasional digital dropout via USB from a Mac mini on my Manhattan.....especially when going from PCM to DSD. Hoping the new driverless USB will remedy this.

TD

Me too! Wonder if the driverless implementation of USB in the Brooklyn may also be the reason why it cannot be connected using 3-wire cables or the VBus Isolator which defeat the 5V supply whereas I can use either/both with my Manhattan I.

I like having this capability since the potential for noise reduction from the source is important in my and others (smarter than me) opinion. Since I have am not interested in buying cables with dedicated low noise 5V power supplies, needing to need even a temporary handshake or, worse, 5V might make me reconsider the II upgrade. This is particularly true since needing a driver was not an issue with either the original 192-DSD-DAC or the Manhattan and I am not interested in MQA.

Had a chance to talk briefly to Michal at Mytek yesterday.

The latest ETA on the Manhattan II is pushed out from August to September. He said they will be using the 9038Pro chip for the upgrade but had not yet received their chip shipment due to delays at ESS end.

I also asked him why devices/cables which defeat the 5V can be used with the Manhattan but not with the Brooklyn. I mentioned that this is a capability that many users are interested in. He said he would look into the reason and get back to me but did say that it was not related to the driverless operation of the Brooklyn.

Stay tuned...

• 1 month later...
Yes, the DOP method requires a good deal of PCM bandwidth, as the DSD stream is "packaged" inside PCM. It takes a DAC capable of 384kHz PCM to playback DSD128 when packaged via DOP, and a DAC capable of 768kHz to handle DSD256. There are currently very few such DACS - as you note, the iFi Micro (and Nano, now) iDSD DACs are two of them.

I'm not entirely sure about this. My Marantz NA8005 only supports 192kHz PCM but supports DSD128 via DoP. Am I missing something?

-mike

I'm not entirely sure about this. My Marantz NA8005 only supports 192kHz PCM but supports DSD128 via DoP. Am I missing something?

-mike

The confusion is that there are sveral dacs that support steady stable PCM to, say 192k, but internally can go to a higher sample rate for purposes of DoP. So they publish 24/192k for PCM max but the chipset can do 24/352k to simply carry the DSD128 via DoP.

Spoke to Mytek NYC...looks like November is new ETA.

Also conformed that FireWire is out for II...hardware no longer in production. Nice fellow answering my call seemed bummed about the loss of FW as it is a "balanced", inherently less noise proned connection that has been broadly used by studio pros since its introduction.

Tone with Soul

Spoke to Mytek NYC...looks like November is new ETA.

Also conformed that FireWire is out for II...hardware no longer in production. Nice fellow answering my call seemed bummed about the loss of FW as it is a "balanced", inherently less noise proned connection that has been broadly used by studio pros since its introduction.

I concur re ETA...was told that release would be after RMAF in October. Lots of people are unhappy with loss of Firewire like my friend with a Brooklyn who is running a Mac music server.

On ROON community support page It is writen the following. Does anyone understand what that fellow means about the Manhattan II ? ?

" Does anybody know if there will be some sort of integrated device? Like a DAC that can accept the roon signal from the core via LAN? A bit like a DAC and a transporter rolled into one. The only one I know will be the Mytek Manhattan II."

The Manhattan II is supposed to have an optional card that will enable network functionality:

"OPTIONAL "ROON READY" NETWORK/Wi-Fi CARD: Turns the Manhattan II into network streamer with 24/192k andDSD64 maximum throughput. Compatible w/ Roon, Airplay, DLNA/UpnP, Spotify Connect, IOS, Android"

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/manhattan/

If you look at the picture on their page, there is an "Options" slot where presumably that card would be used.

Manhattan_DAC_front_back.jpg

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

The Manhattan II is supposed to have an optional card that will enable network functionality:

"OPTIONAL "ROON READY" NETWORK/Wi-Fi CARD: Turns the Manhattan II into network streamer with 24/192k andDSD64 maximum throughput. Compatible w/ Roon, Airplay, DLNA/UpnP, Spotify Connect, IOS, Android"

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/manhattan/

If you look at the picture on their page, there is an "Options" slot where presumably that card would be used.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28978[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the info. Now I understand. But this option do not really turn the Manhatan II into a transport ;-) and I guess that if we implement this option board, then it will not be possible to also use the Phono optional board ?

on another subjet, for those who have already heard the Manattan ( I or II), how will you qualify it's sound signature ?

Indeed, I have a BHSE amp + Stax SR009 headphone that is VERY relealling but also some time too analytical to the point that it can be fatiguing. Therefore I am looking for a DAC that will be very precise & detailled BUT also on the warm side to warm-up a little the Sound signature of the Stax009.

• 1 month later...