IGNORED

New Manhattan Dac from Mytek

I hope Mytek support is better than it appears to be for those considering a $5k DAC. When I was researching DACs a month or two ago before I bought my exaSounds I send Mytek an email with some pre-sale questions about the Manhattan and never got a response. Made my decision easy.

Agreed. I had DSD192 for some time and had a question with regards to DSD128. Never get a response from them.

PowerConditioning: PS Audio UPC-200; Hdplex 300W

Server: Windows 2019-CORE+AO3+Jriver24/HQPlayer 

Source: Mytek Brooklyn Amp: Audio-GD C501, AVA Set 120

Speakers: Spendor SP2, Tannoy Saturn S10

Desktop: W10+Topping D90+Stax  SRS3100

exaSound is very responsive with pre-sale questions and support. Not to mention their constant updating and enhancing software drivers and features. That has a lot to do with their continued success in the market.

Yes, exaSound support is superb, along with Audeze the best I've experienced in audio.

I am mystified at companies that sell gear that costs $4k plus who won't respond to people wanting to buy their stuff. Most recently, a certain company who sells $4k headphone amps. Asked them "do you have the amps in stock?" Got a positive answer. Responded with some technical questions. No response. No wonder Woo Audio and Eddie Current have months-long waiting lists for their $5k amps while yours piles up on the shelves, geniuses.

I still have the Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC.

I would never again consider Mytek as my new unit after the 192 DSD.

They are slow with driver support (Weiss for example has the latest firewire driver already for a couple of months)

Mytek customer support in my opinion is not where the competition is.... not even close.

I still have the Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC.

I would never again consider Mytek as my new unit after the 192 DSD.

They are slow with driver support (Weiss for example has the latest firewire driver already for a couple of months)

Mytek customer support in my opinion is not where the competition is.... not even close.

When it comes to driver support, exaSound is the company to beat. They have QuadDSD native and ASIO drivers with Stereo and 8 Channel support - for Mac & Windows.

Not to mention very responsive customer support and a 30 day free trial on all DACs. It explains why more and more DAC shoppers are heading in their direction.

A few interesting things reported about the Manhattan in this show report. Quote:

In fact MYTEK (also based in Brooklyn) used headphones (Audeze LCD-XC) to showcase their exciting new ‘Manhattan’ DAC ($5000). It has a built-in headphone amp, analog attenuator, and headphone jack, and allows for a Firewire connection, Thunderbolt output, and plays DSD, and PCM at sky-high levels of resolution (PCM 32 bit 384). It utilizes the famous ESS Sabre chipset in a 8 mono to 2 stereo configuration. And all this at only 18lbs in weight. It also allows for an optional built-in ultra high performance MM, MC phono preamplifier board as well.

I think the price is now better explained as this appears to be attempt to be both a high-end DAC and a high-end preamp. Very interesting the ability to add a phono stage. I can see this potentially appealing to a broader range of audiophiles than I first envisioned given the price.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Very interesting the ability to add a phono stage. I can see this potentially appealing to a broader range of audiophiles than I first envisioned given the price.

For some, yes, but it's not really the best idea for most systems because you ought to have the phono stage very close to your turntable, the main reason for the popularity of separate phono stage boxes.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

A few interesting things reported about the Manhattan in this show report. Quote:

I think the price is now better explained as this appears to be attempt to be both a high-end DAC and a high-end preamp. Very interesting the ability to add a phono stage. I can see this potentially appealing to a broader range of audiophiles than I first envisioned given the price.

Mytek is also planning an optional board that will enable owners to connect the Manhattan DAC to SACD Transports from EMM Labs and Playback Design for SACD playback. That could be very interesting!

What is the Tunderbolt output for?

Here's what's listed on Mytek's site:

"Ability of converting standard digital audio inputs into computer FW/Thunderbolt input"

Not exactly sure what that means.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 3 weeks later...
Better power supplies, femto clock (sound like something from Flash Gordon), fancy casework, Thunderbolts and lightning...

Anyone hear one and can give a report on this baby?

I've heard the Manhattan DAC vs. the Stereo 192 DSD DAC at audio shows over headphones. To my ears, the Manhattan DAC sounds considerably better.

I've heard the Manhattan DAC vs. the Stereo 192 DSD DAC at audio shows over headphones. To my ears, the Manhattan DAC sounds considerably better.

So, at a minimum, the headphone amp section is improved in Manhattan.

Anyone hear one though a high resolution speaker system?

Tone with Soul

Will dsd256 run on SDIF and ST Optical on Manhattan? Anybody got a clue?

It looks like DSD256 over SDIF is indeed possible.

From the Mytek website:

- Computer Audio Inputs and Outputs: Firewire 400/800 up to PCM 192k/DSD async, USB2.0 up to 384k/DSD256, USB 1.1 up to PCM 96k, driver-less. DSD DOP256 SDIF DSD input, optional SACD optical input ***

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/manhattan-dac/

"Computer Audio Inputs and Outputs: Firewire 400/800 up to PCM 192k/DSD async, USB2.0 up to 384k/DSD256, USB 1.1 up to PCM 96k, driver-less. DSD DOP256 SDIF DSD input, optional SACD optical input ***"

Is the syntax there implying USB2.0 is driverless?;

& what's the sacd optical about?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

no, I think they are sayng usb 1.1 is driverless

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I hope there are reviewers who relate to the quality of the preamp. The preamp in the 192 DSD is good, but not top notch. If the Manhattan has both an improved DAC and preamp over the 192 DSD, then I'd consider it - it would be a bargain. But if the preamp is still only okay, then it isn't such a great deal. There are lots of very good DACs available for under $5000.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...