IGNORED

New Manhattan Dac from Mytek

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the info. Now I understand. But this option do not really turn the Manhatan II into a transport ;-) and I guess that if we implement this option board, then it will not be possible to also use the Phono optional board ?

on another subjet, for those who have already heard the Manattan ( I or II), how will you qualify it's sound signature ?

Indeed, I have a BHSE amp + Stax SR009 headphone that is VERY relealling but also some time too analytical to the point that it can be fatiguing. Therefore I am looking for a DAC that will be very precise & detailled BUT also on the warm side to warm-up a little the Sound signature of the Stax009.

I've lived with a Manhattan I for about a year and would call it very detailed and neutral. I don't think it is going to provide warmth, but in no way would I call it bright or harsh.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

In addition to SQ differences between I and II, would also be interested in knowing whether the 5V supply from source to Manhattan II can be defeated, e.g., by VBus Isolator, etc.

I am able to do this with my Manhattan I with a PC-based server but a friend with a Brooklyn on a Mac-based server cannot. Would like to know if this is a difference in the implementation of the USB protocol(?) in the two DACs...or is an issue with PC vs Mac?

I shouldn't imagine so with the Pro ESS chip. I assume like my Brooklyn it needs the 5V. Not that hard to add a cleaner 5v. Mod or something I have like the IFI I DEFENDER with a port incorporated. I have a little regulated 5 v battery supply feeding it. The defender has a ground loop blocker. ISO Clean tech from thier other kit.

Not 100% sure with the ESS Pro... A quick email to Mytek may answer that...

Good luck

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I shouldn't imagine so with the Pro ESS chip. I assume like my Brooklyn it needs the 5V. Not that hard to add a cleaner 5v. Mod or something I have like the IFI I DEFENDER with a port incorporated. I have a little regulated 5 v battery supply feeding it. The defender has a ground loop blocker. ISO Clean tech from thier other kit.

Not 100% sure with the ESS Pro... A quick email to Mytek may answer that...

Good luck

Dave

I do not understand "I shouldn't imagine so with the Pro ESS chip".

My Manhattan I on PC system does NOT require 5V from source for handshake, etc. Want to know if Man II will allow defeating 5V since I am not interested in powered USB cables or other dongles. Numerous written as well as phone inquiries to Mytek since the upgrade was announced have not yielded an answer to date.

Would also be interested in knowing if capability to defeat 5V (with Man I and other DACs) is a function of how the USB protocol is implemented or is a function of the OS, i.e., PC vs iOS, in use for the source.

Ah I see , apologies big guy. I thought it was ESS CHIPS not how mytek use them or IOS.

I was told the Brooklyn can't use the VBUS.

Thank you for the information.?

Thanks, Middy.

I have a friend with Bklyn who cannot defeat the 5V, at least with his Mac laptop.

I can with the Man I and PC.

Sorry about repeating myself but is there something about the USB part of the DAC design (maybe not needing a driver for Bklyn or Man II)...or is it an OS issue?

Not being able to defeat the 5V is NOT a stopper to my doing upgrade to Man II but SQ with upgrade would have to be a pretty significant step change for me to do so particularly since not needing a driver or having MQA are NOT motivation for me personally.

Thanks, Middy.

I have a friend with Bklyn who cannot defeat the 5V, at least with his Mac laptop.

I can with the Man I and PC.

Sorry about repeating myself but is there something about the USB part of the DAC design (maybe not needing a driver for Bklyn or Man II)...or is it an OS issue?

Not being able to defeat the 5V is NOT a stopper to my doing upgrade to Man II but SQ with upgrade would have to be a pretty significant step change for me to do so particularly since not needing a driver or having MQA are NOT motivation for me personally.

Talked to Mytek. I misspoke re the need for a driver, i.e., a driver is still required for PC but NOT iOS systems. I was told that the USB interface has been redesigned for the Man II. In addition the analog preamp has be totally redesigned and is now an "audiophile" caliber preamp.

Now all we need is a review(s) by those who have compared the Man I to Man II.

Anyone find a Brooklyn v Manhattan I comparison? I couldn't find one?

I have heard my Man I vs a friend's Bklyn in my system. The Bklyn with onboard SMPS is extremely good but does not have the extension at frequency extremes or detail that the Man I has. Running the Bklyn with a SBooster SOTM external linear power supply narrowed the gap between the two DACs...significantly improving the frequency extremes and adding detail. The improvement was not subtle but in our opinion still bested by the Man I.

Hopefully with CES over, reviewers will have Man IIs to audition.

Thanks BG, much appreciated.

More for interest and wonder how good the Man 1 was. Is..?

My attempts..

Sbooster 12v small boost

+ DC IPURIFIER nothing I could hear but no minus either.

Balanced isolation transformer and a DC Blocker. In only my opinion 12 -18% improvement on top of the Brooklyn With the above all in the chain.

Apart from other threads advice my basic idea was trying to make a poor man's Manhattan..... As the Manhattan 1 looks like it has great power regulation designed in.

Looking at the AG500 as a last edition with 230v sinewave out and re do AB ing tests.

Just wondering what extra you could glean from your set up. ?

Maybe less maybe more...Just something to consider?

Good luck

Dave ?

Thanks BG, much appreciated.

More for interest and wonder how good the Man 1 was. Is..?

My attempts..

Sbooster 12v small boost

+ DC IPURIFIER nothing I could hear but no minus either.

Balanced isolation transformer and a DC Blocker. In only my opinion 12 -18% improvement on top of the Brooklyn With the above all in the chain.

Apart from other threads advice my basic idea was trying to make a poor man's Manhattan..... As the Manhattan 1 looks like it has great power regulation designed in.

Looking at the AG500 as a last edition with 230v sinewave out and re do AB ing tests.

Just wondering what extra you could glean from your set up. ?

Maybe less maybe more...Just something to consider?

Good luck

Dave ?

I think having an AG500 (or similar) regenerator in the system is a good idea as I have long been an advocate of clean AC for all components but most definitely for front end, i.e., DACs, transports, preamps, etc. I have been using a PS Audio P300, long since discontinued, for many years and believe it to be one of the best tweak additions to my system. The guy with the Bklyn runs a PS Audio P3 in a similar fashion and has been pleased by the improved SQ.

IMO, the power supply tweaks bring the SQ of the Bklyn very close to the Man I with the additional benefits of a phono stage and MQA if that is important.

• 3 months later...

Given the MQA implementation in the Brooklyn and now the Manhattan II, have a question...

I understand that the MQA "algorithm" is customized for each DAC implementation, i.e., firmware, etc.

IF you are NOT playing recordings encoded for MQA, does its implementation in the DAC have any effect on the firmware even if not being used? 

I am considering the upgrade of my Man I to Man II status to take advantage of the change to the ESS9038 chipset and other improvements in the analog stage noted by Michal @ Mytek but have no interest in the MQA capability.

Have no problem with it being there, just that it be innocuous!

On 2017-05-26 at 0:09 PM, BigGuy said:

Given the MQA implementation in the Brooklyn and now the Manhattan II, have a question...

I understand that the MQA "algorithm" is customized for each DAC implementation, i.e., firmware, etc.

IF you are NOT playing recordings encoded for MQA, does its implementation in the DAC have any effect on the firmware even if not being used? 

I am considering the upgrade of my Man I to Man II status to take advantage of the change to the ESS9038 chipset and other improvements in the analog stage noted by Michal @ Mytek but have no interest in the MQA capability.

Have no problem with it being there, just that it be innocuous!

MQA can be disabled on the Brooklyn so I'm assuming it can be disabled on the Manhattan II.

mQa is dead!

11 minutes ago, lucretius said:

MQA can be disabled on the Brooklyn so I'm assuming it can be disabled on the Manhattan II.

You are probably right about that, lucretius, and as far as I am concerned a good thing.

Still not seeing any reviews of Man II and check <http://www.dailyaudiophile.com/>

every other day or so.  Maybe with all the audio shows on the schedule, demo units are in short supply?!  Guess I will keep collecting interest on that $1k.  ;-)