IGNORED

New Manhattan Dac from Mytek

One question regarding the Manhattan circuitry. They only use one ESS 9018 (which is an 8-channel DAC), hence Mytek has to split the channels of a single chip for the left and right audio channel. Wouldn't it have made more sense to incorporate two 9018s (like Accuphase does it) to keep everything completely separated? The couple of dollars for a second chip (they are actually ridiculously cheap) would not have made difference, would it?

One question regarding the Manhattan circuitry. They only use one ESS 9018 (which is an 8-channel DAC), hence Mytek has to split the channels of a single chip for the left and right audio channel. Wouldn't it have made more sense to incorporate two 9018s (like Accuphase does it) to keep everything completely separated? The couple of dollars for a second chip (they are actually ridiculously cheap) would not have made difference, would it?

Some companies with more expensive DACs do it in the same way. If Mytek buys the chip for USD 10 the end consumer will be charged with USD 100.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Agreed. So the price of the components cannot play a major role. Is it so much easier to use just one DAC? Do you save money in terms of R&D? Because frankly I cannot think of any benefit to use a single chip for two channels. Dual mono - albeit inaudible to most of us - is a hallmark of high-end. I therefore cannot really understand why Mytek did not follow the path. Maybe the Manhattan should be called Cyklops instead?

Agreed. So the price of the components cannot play a major role. Is it so much easier to use just one DAC? Do you save money in terms of R&D? Because frankly I cannot think of any benefit to use a single chip for two channels. Dual mono - albeit inaudible to most of us - is a hallmark of high-end. I therefore cannot really understand why Mytek did not follow the path. Maybe the Manhattan should be called Cyklops instead?

AFAIK, Merging is using one ES9018 for their eight channel board in the Horus/Hapi and the sound is excellent. There are a lot more factors contributing to the sonic outcome than the chips.

Matt

Absolutely, I do not think I would be able to pass a blind test comparing one channel of an ESS9018 with 16 channels (like used in Accphase's DC-901 - two ESS9018 per audio channel). Nevertheless from a high-end point of view a two chip design would feel more appropriate.

Absolutely' date=' I do not think I would be able to pass a blind test comparing one channel of an ESS9018 with 16 channels (like used in Accphase's DC-901 - two ESS9018 per audio channel). Nevertheless from a high-end point of view a two chip design would feel more appropriate.[/quote']

Maybe, I myself would be happy to get the Manhattan in a standard case without the jewelry additions for half the price.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, and I heard in an interview that the main guy at Mytek said that the case doesn't cost nearly as much as people think, and that he actually chose it because of its resonance and how the equipment sounded in it rather than the look.

I agree it looks really odd. If we could get this dac for 2k less with a simple black case I'd get it in a heartbeat. But the case may indeed not cost as much as some think and may have repercussions on the sound.

I agree it looks really odd. If we could get this dac for 2k less with a simple black case I'd get it in a heartbeat. But the case may indeed not cost as much as some think and may have repercussions on the sound.

What I hope for is that Mytek is releasing the same DAC without the jewelry case in their professional line. Professionals pay less for their equipment because they need to make money with but demand the same high quality.

Matt

On the recommended Sonoma DSD Recording and Editing Workstation it says:

Four PCI slots for 8 channel Sonoma cards

(Note not PCIe)

That seems to be how it connects to the workstation itself, and seems to be optical.

I don't see a price for the PCI card itself, but it might be available.

From that same page, they talk about the Meitner ADC:

EMM Labs (Meitner) MK IV ADC-8

and it has: ST Duplex Optical 8 Channel DSD Input

So I think it is the same protocol?

Sonoma Configurations

and for the computer they recommend, which is a SuperMicro, they talk about 4 PCI slots for use with the PCI card above.

Sonoma 32 Track DSD Recorder

So, I think that card could potentially output to the Mytek?

From their PDF Brochure on the PCI card:

The basic eight-channel Sonoma hardware

consists of a full size PCI card with

four ST fiber optic connectors, eight-channel

in/out and word clock in/out. These

optical interfaces are used to connect to

the eight-channel A/D and D/A Meitner

converters making it possible to locate a

noisy computer in another room away

from the critical listening without any

compromises in quality. Included with the

system are four 100-foot glass fiber optic

cables, which can be extended to 1,000

feet or more without any problems since

this is the real stuff, not to be confused

with plastic TOSLink. Sonoma can be supplied

with or without a PC and does not

require a lot of computer horsepower to

run since the Sonoma card bears most of

the workload.

Not sure if it would freak out that there is no Sonoma Workstation involved, or if it has its own self-sufficient software stack and can take input from JRiver/HQPlayer, etc.

Hi Lightminer,

Could you show me the link of the pdf file?

And as for ST Optical, I think what EMM labs uses is the same with what Mytek uses. You can see in the old vintage Mytek 8x192, a sonoma DSD module is provided that can output DSD via ST Optical, just don't know if 8x192 can output DSD256 to Manhattan if it is installed with the Sonoma DSD module.

Sonoma DSD module of 8x192:

DSD-SDIF + Sonoma Card for 8x192 ADDA

Sonoma DSD module of Manhattan:

https://mytekdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/dziurki.jpg

Special Options #2

Emm Labs/Meitner/

Playback Design Compatible

optical SACD player DSD input

Module

(available Q4 2014)

hi Lightminer,

Thanks for the link. I am now using a USB-Sonoma Optical DDC to play dsd to EMM Labs DAC. The CAT is based on WS2012, JPlay and HQPlayer. Sound is amazing and I can enjoy my DSD/PCM rip. I'm also looking forward to Manhattan equipped with the Sonoma Optical, which is believed can go up to DSD256.

hi Lightminer,

Thanks for the link. I am now using a USB-Sonoma Optical DDC to play dsd to EMM Labs DAC. The CAT is based on WS2012, JPlay and HQPlayer. Sound is amazing and I can enjoy my DSD/PCM rip. I'm also looking forward to Manhattan equipped with the Sonoma Optical, which is believed can go up to DSD256.

You purchased a USB "DDC" to play DSD files on an EMM Labs DAC. Is it capable of Multichannel DSD playback, or Stereo DSD only?

• 1 month later...

First full review of the Manhattan I've seen: Mytek Manhattan DAC | AudioStream

short version: short version: Michael Lavorgna loved it, said it was a significant upgrade in every way over the DSD 192 (which he owns) and favorably compared it to the Auralic Vega.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Wonder how this very pretty and feature-loaded unit sounds versus say the exaSound e22?

Guessing that the attention to the Manhattan's power supplies would have positive impact on performance, akin to adding a aftermarket linear power supply to the exaSound...which would bring the two in close proximity from a cost perspective.

Digging the HDPlayer PCM to HDSD conversion on my DSD192 so much that I'm curious as to what DSD256 would sound like. Based upon Mr Lavorgna's review, that every aspect of the very hip DSD192 is improved with the Manhattan, very enticing.

And it would look good in my music room!

Tone with Soul

• 4 weeks later...
I still have the Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC.

I would never again consider Mytek as my new unit after the 192 DSD.

They are slow with driver support (Weiss for example has the latest firewire driver already for a couple of months)

Mytek customer support in my opinion is not where the competition is.... not even close.

I am considering the Mytek Stereo192 ADC to go with the LampizaTor Amber DAC. LampizatOr said they would configure the Amber with XLR (or whatever I needed) with no extra charge.

My only question is has anyone used a DSD as a DAC for recording with a DAW? I use Reaper, Cubase, etc., and was contemplating going with the Lampi Amber DAC since I only need 2 channels for mastering and projects. I would still need a solid 2 channel ADC like a Mytek, Forssell, or Lavry.

Is anyone doing this type of workflow with a DAW? If so, which DAW can support the DSD?

I would also use a DSD to PCM converter like the Korg Audiogate for those who want an actual CD burned or who doesn't have a DSD player. Foster has a FREE DSD player that's downloadable. I was considering having both DSD and PCM available on my website.

Any tips would be great!

SEA

• 2 weeks later...
I'm using Mac Mini 2012.

I tried to setup both Audirvana and HQPlayer to play native DSD256 files with Manhattan but no success. Can anyone tell me how to set it on OSX? Thanks a lot.

I think that OSX and / or Apple hardware can only do 128. Others will probably clarify or you can search the forums.

So quiet for Manhattan users feedback here.

I got this DAC for a while and still tried to make it work with all players I have. However, it can do only up to DSD128 in Mac OSX.

I knew that this DAC is capable for DSD256 but I would like to know that can it be done in Mac OSX as well? Anyone successfully setup it to work? Please, please shrare.

Thank you.