IGNORED

New Manhattan Dac from Mytek

Thanks for this info, mav52!

Looks cool, as far as one could tell from the picture, and seems to be a modernized version of the Stereo 192-DSD DAC.

But what I want is a 6 (or even 8) channel version for a reasonable price ... (the 8x192 would theoretically fit the bill, but ...)

And I would take the Lipinski monitors (?), too ;-)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Competitors in that price bracket? & who will put their hand up to compare to these + current Mytek?? Interesting ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Thanks for this info, mav52!

Looks cool, as far as one could tell from the picture, and seems to be a modernized version of the Stereo 192-DSD DAC.

But what I want is a 6 (or even 8) channel version for a reasonable price ... (the 8x192 would theoretically fit the bill, but ...)

And I would take the Lipinski monitors (?), too ;-)

Mytek is getting into the DSD256 market to compete with exaSound and Pyramix. Interesting!

For Multichannel playback of music files, the exaSound e28 continues to be tough to beat. An 8 Channel DSD256/PCM DAC for $3,299 - significantly below the price of the new 2 Channel Mytek Manhattan DAC ($4,995) or three of them for Multichannel playback.

See Ted B's review of the e28 on CA at Computer Audiophile - exaSound E28 Multichannel USB DAC Review

ouch, pricey indeed. unsure of the look, I like it?, but then a little too, Disco?

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Well, it will be interesting to see what USB implementation they are using. Did they stick with what is in the 192DSD, which needs MAC drivers (no official Linux drivers) and was a bit problematic? Or have they gone for driverless for MAC and Linux? I'm guessing driverless, hope I'm right. It would be nice if they made it Linux compatible.

The other aspect I'm wondering about is what they've done with the volume/pre-amp section. The DSD 192 has a good "audiophile" preamp section, but it's only competitive with preamps in say the $1000-$2000 range, acc'd to the few comparisons I've made. Does the Manhattan really have a preamp section that would let one give up on a preamp suitable for this level of component, without sonic penalty?

As far as appearance, I wasn't impressed. But it's probably one of those designs you have to see in person before you can really decide if you like it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hmm, the price is .... HiFi jewelry ;-)

@firedog:

If you take a closer look at the pictures at the product site, you will notice a well known look of the back of the unit, looking identical to the Stereo 192-DSD DAC.

So I think it will be based on the same USB and Firewire implementation as the 192-DSD.

But time will tell ...

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Noticed this on another site. Any one have any facts on this new DAC from Mytek. The Mytek website, I just can't seem to get the darn site to come up. This thing has a milled faceplate

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12461[/ATTACH]

It looks really ugly (and expensive) compared to units like Auralic

fmak

I couldn't get the site to come up in Chrome, I did in IE and firefox

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

If it sounds like a 4K DAC and is format "future proof" (for a while, anyway), then it is worth it. I know what a 3K DAC sounds like so it's going to have to be a real step forward to justify the extra 1K. I like the look (not as much as my Auralic but I appreciate what they have done with it).

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Looks really nice, but there appears to be a little copyright infringement going on on the back panel. Hope that doesn't carry over to the final production model.

woodyallenmanhattan.jpg

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Looks really nice, but there appears to be a little copyright infringement going on on the back panel. Hope that doesn't carry over to the final production model.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12584[/ATTACH]

--David

Who knows - maybe Mytek has a licensing deal with Woody or the City?!

Wondering what it sounds like? Are available. Hoping one of the gear junkies on CA...I spend too much on my G.A.S. (guitar acquisition syndrome), to step up at this point (2 new amps and cabs and a deposit on a $6k hand built guitar in last couple of months).

Mytek is offering a special introductory price of $3,995 for the first 50 units. I'm sure some Mytek owners/fans will sign up for that pre-order pricing. Mytek iFi DSD

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12584[/ATTACH]

--David

Apart from the copyright issue with the letter design, it's kind of insensitive to use one with the twin towers.

Claude

Mytek is offering a special introductory price of $3,995 for the first 50 units. I'm sure some Mytek owners/fans will sign up for that pre-order pricing. Mytek iFi DSD

Well, it would be nice if they actually gave out some real information about the DAC before asking people to pay $4-5K for it.

Well, it would be nice if they actually gave out some real information about the DAC before asking people to pay $4-5K for it.

And the march of progress continues. I guess I haven't been in the audiophile game very long but it is stunning to see how fast the manufacturers are raising prices on their new products. The new PS Audio is $6k, 2x the cost of what was the current product only 3 years ago? The Mytek 192 was $1600 and released how long ago? I understand there is a big cost in developing new technology, but at this rate everyone will offer a $10k dac in 3-4 years.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

And the march of progress continues. I guess I haven't been in the audiophile game very long but it is stunning to see how fast the manufacturers are raising prices on their new products. The new PS Audio is $6k, 2x the cost of what was the current product only 3 years ago? The Mytek 192 was $1600 and released how long ago? I understand there is a big cost in developing new technology, but at this rate everyone will offer a $10k dac in 3-4 years.

build it and they will buy it, I guess it is the new slogan of these DAC makers

The Truth Is Out There

Too Disco? I was going to say "Edgy"....

Hmm, I have seen it at the show and must say the display was Disco Deluxe - too bright, annoying, flashing, fast moving animations ...

If this cannot be dimmed and put on static information display then it will be inacceptable to many people.

I do not know how a company can change from a well accepted "industrial/professionnel" design like the current DAC to this Kirmes-Disco design...

Just my 2 cts ...

But there is a concurrent trend of high quality, inexpensive DACs like the new ifiDSD.

Too much bling for my tastes- I think they would have been better off leaving the case alone and charging a grand less.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz