IGNORED

HQ Player

Or you can boot, from USB, to Jussi's own HQP OS and have a dedicated NAA image.  Simply burn to USB via something like etcher, then boot to USB and you're done.  Most NUCs I've done that on work great.   I'm trying another NUC as we speak.  That one I've successfully installed the NAA on top of Linux Mint, but wlll try again the option with Jussi's image too.

The NAA idea is to galvanically isolate the dac, isolate the server from getting its noise to the dac (theoretically then allowing you to have a noisy server, sitting in another room).  It allows for lightweight processing (although more powerful NUCs, a slight oxymoron, seem to sound the best), dedicated processing, and in some cases allowing the dac to perform better than the server's own OS will allow  (for example, a Linux NAA NUC being served by HQPlayer on a Mac Mini and processing higher sample rates than the Mac OS can natively handle)

38 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

If your NUC is running Windows:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/windows/

If it is running Linux then go here and choose which version of linux you're using and get the right one:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/

I downloaded the networkaudio-411 and ran it, it opened a command prompt when I choose networkaudioadapter on either input or output device setting, there is nothing drop down on the device drop down menu.

25 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Or you can boot, from USB, to Jussi's own HQP OS and have a dedicated NAA image.  Simply burn to USB via something like etcher, then boot to USB and you're done.  Most NUCs I've done that on work great.   I'm trying another NUC as we speak.  That one I've successfully installed the NAA on top of Linux Mint, but wlll try again the option with Jussi's image too.

The NAA idea is to galvanically isolate the dac, isolate the server from getting its noise to the dac (theoretically then allowing you to have a noisy server, sitting in another room).  It allows for lightweight processing (although more powerful NUCs, a slight oxymoron, seem to sound the best), dedicated processing, and in some cases allowing the dac to perform better than the server's own OS will allow  (for example, a Linux NAA NUC being served by HQPlayer on a Mac Mini and processing higher sample rates than the Mac OS can natively handle)

what is Jussi's HQP OS sorry I am a newb.

I have a NUC i3 running WIN10 connected to a HOLO May DAC and an I7 Desktop with gtx 2060 super I want to use for HQPlayer. thanks for the suggestion

settings.png

2 minutes ago, Blur510 said:

I downloaded the networkaudio-411 and ran it, it opened a command prompt when I choose networkaudioadapter on either input or output device setting, there is nothing drop down on the device drop down menu.

what is Jussi's HQP OS sorry I am a newb.

I have a NUC i3 running WIN10 connected to a HOLO May DAC and an I7 Desktop with gtx 2060 super I want to use for HQPlayer. thanks for the suggestion

settings.png

Is your device connected and powered on?

No electron left behind.

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Which machine is your screenshot from? It should be the desktop machine running HQPlayer.

this is from my desktop running hqplayer.  roon core is also running on the nuc.  Thanks I will buy a raspberry pi and run the NAA image if I have to but I want to try to get this to work first. thank you so much for all the help.

6 minutes ago, Blur510 said:

this is from my desktop running hqplayer.  roon core is also running on the nuc.  Thanks I will buy a raspberry pi and run the NAA image if I have to but I want to try to get this to work first. thank you so much for all the help.

Roon Core and the NAA can NOT be on the NUC. it's one or the other. Delete Roon from the NUC and put it on the desktop.

No electron left behind.

The NUC (or wherever you have the NAA) should have the Holo ASIO driver (if Windows) loaded on it.  If using Linux (like Jussi's image) then no driver needs to be installed; Linux will take care of it.   And set dac bits to 20 on HQplayer settings (May is linear to 20 bits).  The NAA machine should have little else installed on it.

Roon core could be on your desktop, along with HQPlayer...but that is a compromise.  Roon is very talkative and HQPlayer does not like that, so your sq will increase if you find another nuc to put Roon on.  But that can be done down the road. 

On 8/6/2021 at 1:13 AM, GoldenOne said:

Is there any actual drawback to using GPU instead of CPU?

No, only if the GPU is slower than the CPU, then it can make things not work (CPU ends up waiting for GPU to complete it's work).

If you have a fast GPU, you can move part of the work off the CPU. This can help the CPU reach higher turbo clocks because fewer cores are under heavy load.

On 8/6/2021 at 1:13 AM, GoldenOne said:

Will the actual resulting data output differ in any manner?

No...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 hours ago, Blur510 said:

Is there a tutorial on how to set up roon and hqplayer?  I want to use my NUC > DAC as my endpoint.  I have a Desktop that I want to use as a  rooncore and Hqplayer.  I can play music on my NUC > DAC, but no HQPlayer upsampling.  I can play music on my desktop (Roon + HQPlayer. thank you

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/hqplayer

1 hour ago, Miska said:

No, only if the GPU is slower than the CPU, then it can make things not work (CPU ends up waiting for GPU to complete it's work).

If you have a fast GPU, you can move part of the work off the CPU. This can help the CPU reach higher turbo clocks because fewer cores are under heavy load.

No...

Thanks. 

I wasn't sure if floating point precision or something would mean that the result would be different. 

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

18 hours ago, MemoryPlayer said:

Do you upsample to DSD256 with NS5?

Because my HQPlayer doesn't upsample to DSD256 with NS5, if your do, I'd like to know how...

No. Yours is working as intended.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 8/8/2021 at 5:20 PM, GoldenOne said:

I wasn't sure if floating point precision or something would mean that the result would be different. 

Both cases use same IEEE 64-bit floating point for the applicable processing parts. Theoretically there could be minor rounding differences in some places due to slightly varying algorithm implementations (one way or the other, not straightforward which one would be more precise). But given the possible output resolutions to the DAC, those are not applicable to real output data, even less so in analog output signal from the DAC.

13 hours ago, Failed Engineer said:

Is there an advised baseline config for Rockna DACs?  HQPlayer running on Mac mini M1 to Zen Stream NAA (and maybe ultrarendu) to Wavelight.

I'd start with the same as for Holo Audio. Until there are linearity measurements it is hard to come up with other numbers.

34 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'd start with the same as for Holo Audio. Until there are linearity measurements it is hard to come up with other numbers.

I've actually got a wavedream signature coming in soon so should be able to get some info on that. 

Atomicbob posted wavelight measurements here: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/rockna-wavelight-technical-measurements.11095/

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

11 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

I've actually got a wavedream signature coming in soon so should be able to get some info on that. 

Atomicbob posted wavelight measurements here: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/rockna-wavelight-technical-measurements.11095/

Those look like linear to about 17-bit. So safest to get started with "DAC Bits" set to 16 or 17.

Then the linearization settings would be better confirmed through measurements. I use 1 kHz sine at -120 dBFS for that purpose.