IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, bobflood said:

If I remember correctly, you did need to use Jussi's custom NAA image to make it work on the Rendu. That is going to be a bridge too far for a lot of folks as it requires burning a new card for the Rendu.

I am pretty sure that Sonore advertises NAA support with all of their xRendu products. You can install the NAA package on various flavors of Linux and it just works(tm)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I have not yet reflashing my MAY and getting a NAA with an Intel USB.

Is it really worth the trouble to play PCM at 1.536 MHz on the May or is it the novelty of getting highest number possible instead of "just" doing DSD256 ADSM7EC?

18 minutes ago, Rune said:

Is it really worth the trouble to play PCM at 1.536 MHz on the May or is it the novelty of getting highest number possible instead of "just" doing DSD256 ADSM7EC?

In my opinion there's no point in doing "just" PCM at 1.5M. But instead go with DSD256 and ASDM7EC modulator. 256x oversampling ratio instead of just 32x.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 hours ago, camott said:

Ok thanks for clarifying. I have been testing an M1 and yes gauss-xla up to 768 is ok but 1.536 basically requires 2x cpu per core and it looks like it just doesn't have quite enough power to avoid dropouts. But this is just with null output benchmarks so far as I am in a different location right now, and I haven't tested against an NAA endpoint + DAC.

Try 1.5M gauss-xla with "Adaptive output rate" checked and report back. 

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 6.43.52 PM.png

3 hours ago, ted_b said:

Keep in mind the Denafrips at 32fs is different than the Holo's requirements.  The May needs an Intel USB chip, Denafrips doesn't.  Not sure this is an obstacle with things like the Rendus or not.

I never got my Denafrips work at 32x rates, while I've got Holo working.

So it is not so straightforward, both now have by default leave 32x rates and DSD1024 disabled for the same reason (exceeds UAC2 specs).

9 hours ago, bobflood said:

1.536 is not supported by Mac OS as a direct connection. You need to use a NAA with Intel USB for it to work.

Well, to be exact, I've got it working just fine. But you need to limit DAC Bits to 16 (not a problem at all with noise-shapers).

This assuming the USB firmware supports also 16-bit transport formats. But at least my Spring 3 does.

23 hours ago, jdubs said:

Miska, I'm still trying to get my input / output setup working reliably in HQPlayer.  I've switched the input side (Motu M4) to use ASIO and the output side (Gustard X16) to use Wasapi.

# 2021/07/26 19:45:04 WASAPI output clWinEngine::Execute: IAudioRenderClient::GetBuffer(): Reached the end of the file.

Any thoughts?  Do I need to play with the buffer settings within HQplayer and / or the hardware directly?  

Please do not post log files on this thread, it causes a lot of unnecessary noise pollution to the thread. This kind of stuff is better handled over email.

Looks like the WASAPI driver craps out for some reason.

16 hours ago, timeslip said:

I apologize if this was asked, but I did a quick search and couldn't seem to find an answer.  I purchased a Mac Mini M1, and I am using HQP 4.12.2 and usb connected to a Holo May running firmware 3012.  It worked fine on the Windows 10 version at 1.536mhz, but it seems to be having problems on the Mac Mini M1.  I get distortion above 705kHz.  

Is there a setting that I have set wrong?

Try setting DAC Bits in HQPlayer to 16...

8 minutes ago, shahed99 said:

Try 1.5M gauss-xla with "Adaptive output rate" checked and report back. 

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 6.43.52 PM.png

Yes my tests were certainly with adaptive output rate. eg. 44.1 -> 1.411.  I have discussed it in detail in this thread ... 

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

Well, to be exact, I've got it working just fine. But you need to limit DAC Bits to 16 (not a problem at all with noise-shapers).

That's very interesting. Is this only with the M1 chipset or also with other Intel based Macs? Is there a reason why it doesn't work above 16 bits??

1 hour ago, Miska said:

This assuming the USB firmware supports also 16-bit transport formats. But at least my Spring 3 does.

Whoa!  Changing the DAC bits from 20 -> 16 works with 1.536 with sinc-m.  Not enough power on Mac Mini M1 for sinc-L.  I am no expert at HQP settings.  How big of a difference from 16 -> 20?

I also tried DSD256 / ADSM7EC, but noticed the volume is significantly lower.

32 minutes ago, timeslip said:

Whoa!  Changing the DAC bits from 20 -> 16 works with 1.536 with sinc-m.  Not enough power on Mac Mini M1 for sinc-L.  I am no expert at HQP settings.  How big of a difference from 16 -> 20?

I also tried DSD256 / ADSM7EC, but noticed the volume is significantly lower.

What happens with 17, 18, 19 bits?? :)

1 hour ago, camott said:

That's very interesting. Is this only with the M1 chipset or also with other Intel based Macs? Is there a reason why it doesn't work above 16 bits??

Because above 16-bit at such rates it exceeds USB specifications and very few chipsets and OS allow going outside of the specification.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

Because above 16-bit at such rates it exceeds USB specifications and very few chipsets and OS allow going outside of the specification.

And people wonder why USB became a standard protocol for high-res audio .... ugh.

34 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Need a DAC with Ethernet input and NAA running on the DAC. Bypass USB. 

That would require a board in the DAC that would have to function as a computer to convert the incoming Ethernet data stream to something a converter array could use like I2S. The most likely output of that board would be a data bus like USB (the Universal Data Bus) so I am not sure one could avoid these issues without engineering a special board just for this application. The most likely way it would be done is to use a suitable board and have it output to a I2S converter through its USB internal header. All of this requires drivers and standards and all the issues we now see. I would love to see how it is actually done on those few DACs that have direct Ethernet inputs.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Did some quick USB spec searching and I don't understand what specification limit is being hit at say 16 bits * 1536 kps * 2 channels = 48 mbps? Even USB 2.0 supports up to 480mbps does it not?

40 minutes ago, camott said:

Did some quick USB spec searching and I don't understand what specification limit is being hit at say 16 bits * 1536 kps * 2 channels = 48 mbps? Even USB 2.0 supports up to 480mbps does it not?

You need to read the USB Audio Class specification in combination with the base USB specification.

52 minutes ago, bobflood said:

That would require a board in the DAC that would have to function as a computer to convert the incoming Ethernet data stream to something a converter array could use like I2S.

The most basic such is RPi4 + HifiBerry DAC board. Combined with my  NAA image it is network attached DAC without involving any USB.

The most likely way it would be done is to use a suitable board and have it output to a I2S converter through its USB internal header. All of this requires drivers and standards and all the issues we now see. I would love to see how it is actually done on those few DACs that have direct Ethernet inputs.

There are a lot of SoC's that have at least one I2S output, many times multiple. And some even support DSD up to DSD512.

18 hours ago, steven.y said:

% networksetup -getmedia en0
Current: 1000baseT <full-duplex flow-control>
Active: 1000baseT <full-duplex flow-control>

or

% ifconfig en0
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	options=50b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_HWTAGGING,AV,CHANNEL_IO>
	...(snip)...
	media: 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>