IGNORED

HQ Player

@Miska

With regards to convolution filters;

I used the UMIK mic in REW to measure my system response at the default sample rate of 48kHz.

I have had correction filters created for me at multiple rates.

Do I insert the 48KHz mono wav. file into the convolution engine or a file that has been upsampled to 384kHz?

I am playing files back at 705./768kHz.

Thanks

G

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

47 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

@Miska

With regards to convolution filters;

I used the UMIK mic in REW to measure my system response at the default sample rate of 48kHz.

I have had correction filters created for me at multiple rates.

Do I insert the 48KHz mono wav. file into the convolution engine or a file that has been upsampled to 384kHz?

I am playing files back at 705./768kHz.

When you create correction filters with REW, just export the EQ settings as .txt file and use it for HQPlayer's matrix setup. Instead of using convolution engine. Much simpler and lighter to process, and completely sampling rate agnostic.

Never convert convolution filter rates yourself, it will just spoil the functionality. If you've created convolution filters at 48 kHz, then just use those and use HQPlayer's "Expand HF" feature.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi @Miska quick question. I apologize if it has been asked before, I search but was not able to find anything relevant. My computer case has an LCD display that I can display all kinds of info including text. Is there is a way to query HQPlayer Desktop (Windows not Linux) for the current playing song via a send message or post message api call or from the command line? I've a program that can control the LCD and I want to be able to display the current playing song. 

I appreciate it, thank you!

3 hours ago, rouge sphinx said:

Hi @Miska quick question. I apologize if it has been asked before, I search but was not able to find anything relevant. My computer case has an LCD display that I can display all kinds of info including text. Is there is a way to query HQPlayer Desktop (Windows not Linux) for the current playing song via a send message or post message api call or from the command line? I've a program that can control the LCD and I want to be able to display the current playing song. 

I appreciate it, thank you!

Check out the hqp-control2 command line utility included with all HQPlayer Desktop versions. You can get the info you want and many other things. If you want, source code for that utility is also available on my website.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Check out the hqp-control2 command line utility included with all HQPlayer Desktop versions. You can get the info you want and many other things. If you want, source code for that utility is also available on my website.

Miska, is it possible to use that command line utility to tell HQP desktop to scan the library?

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Miska, is it possible to use that command line utility to tell HQP desktop to scan the library?

No, not at the moment. It is not very straightforward, because library scanning procedure depends on the product (Desktop vs Embedded) etc. You would need to specify locally valid absolute path to scan and how to perform the scan.

Thanks Miska hqp-control2 is exactly what I need but I can't seem to figure out which switch will return the current playing song. I tried searching for the source code in your website but can't find it. When you've moment could you please let me know where I can locate the source code, thanks!

Thanks @bibo01 yes but unfortunately I don't get the current song, just stats:

C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop>hqp-control2.exe localhost --status
status: 2 72/136 1:20 -6.000000 0/0 1:21/7:42 {n} (1005804)
status: 2 72/136 1:20 -6.000000 0/0 1:21/7:42 {n} (1005804)

C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop>hqp-control2.exe localhost --get-status
status: 2 72/136 2:27 -6.000000 0/0 2:28/7:42 {n} (1005804)

C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop>hqp-control2.exe localhost --get-display
display: 0

I tried mostly all the switches and none return the current song title but I'll continue looking, thanks.

2 hours ago, rouge sphinx said:

I tried mostly all the switches and none return the current song title but I'll continue looking, thanks.

Status message has metadata sub-element, and also passed through by the API but it is not printed out.

But you also get track number and you can retrieve current playlist and match it against the playlist.

@Miska

I am looking very forward to explore the new loudness feature! This could be a killer feature!!

I've read the manual but to be honest I am a bit lost how to set up the loudness compensation the way I like to work.

But first and foremost: what kind of curve did you built in? Do you maybe have a graphical representation of the curve?

I know different loudness compensation curves but your 200Hz and 8kHz points leave me a bit puzzled ... are these suppsoed to be low and high shelfs? What's the bandwidth of the respective filters?

Of course I don't want to say anything of this is wrong - not at all! - I just don't understand the settings and the choosen curve points ...

Many thanks in advance!

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

1 hour ago, copy_of_a said:

But first and foremost: what kind of curve did you built in?

Nothing really, it is up to you to define.

1 hour ago, copy_of_a said:

I know different loudness compensation curves but your 200Hz and 8kHz points leave me a bit puzzled ... are these suppsoed to be low and high shelfs? What's the bandwidth of the respective filters?

Yes, you can plot graphs with the parameters using lshelf and hshelf types on the pipeline setup and see how it looks like. The only additional thing is dynamic scaling of the specified level within the specified range.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Nothing really, it is up to you to define.

ok, I see, it's just a generic starting point - many thanks!

However, it's unclear to me how I can set the filter type (e.g. shelf or peak) and the respective bandwidth in the Parameter 1-8 fields?

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

32 minutes ago, Miska said:

You cant, it is always combination of low and high shelf. Peak doesn't make sense for loudness control.

ok, that's fine ... but I don't agree. Low and HiShelfs are the way rudimentary tone controls for loudness compensation have been implemented in the analog domain (HiFi amps) back then.

Attached graphs of 2 different useful Loudness curves (I for one am finding the red one more useful). You can't create such curves with 2 shelfs (but the red one is made with 2 peak filters).

But never mind - thanks again for adressing my questions anyway!

sorry... should have been attached to the previouss post 😐

P-Loud Mq2.jpg

P-Loud SM.jpg

12 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

ok, that's fine ... but I don't agree. Low and HiShelfs are the way rudimentary tone controls for loudness compensation have been implemented in the analog domain (HiFi amps) back then.

Attached graphs of 2 different useful Loudness curves (I for one am finding the red one more useful). You can't create such curves with 2 shelfs (but the red one is made with 2 peak filters).

But never mind - thanks again for adressing my questions anyway!

You can make such curves with the EQ, but just the gain is not scaled based on the volume control then, like it is for the loudness control.

For this kind of flexibility you would need to have scriptable DSP pipeline where you could specify mathematical formulas and such for calculating filter parameters and freely define any number of filters and their dynamic parameters. Maybe I add such at some point, but at the moment it doesn't exist.

If I'd add option to change those shelfs to peaks, next someone says that 2 filters is not enough and there needs to be 70 freely defined IIR biquads to define what they want from a loudness...

This is why I was not horribly eager to add the existing loudness functionality, but some people insisted in having such. Now I sort of regret adding it in first place.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

If I'd add option to change those shelfs to peaks, next someone says that 2 filters is not enough and there needs to be 70 freely defined IIR biquads to define what they want from a loudness...

This is why I was not horribly eager to add the existing loudness functionality, but some people insisted in having such. Now I sort of regret adding it in first place.

😂

I fully understand the dilemma!

I have (4 levels of) loudness compensation applied to my main EQ curve in IR files; it's really great that we can store those different settings as presets in the matrix section and recall them from HQPDcontrol. Of course the compensation is not scaled on the fly in conjunction with gain control, but it's very well doable to switch between the different presets by hand via remote.

So as far as I am concerned said scriptable DSP pipeline would be really convenient - but I can very well live without it. HQPlayer provides more than enough features to customize listening habits and tastes, really. All good!

@MiskaTrying out HQPlayer Embedded which came with gentooplayer. In PCM output mode, it works great, but in SDM output mode having problems with Sinc-L filter.

I am using AMD Ryzen 9 5900x CPU with 12 cores and 24 threads.  When the source material is PCM and output is SDM with Sinc-L filter, HQPlayerd is only using 2-4 Cores and is not able to keep up. See attached pic.  Logfile shows nested parallelism as 4.  

2021/08/16 21:08:47 Offload: resampler=disabled convolution=disabled
+ 2021/08/16 21:08:47 Playback engine running
  2021/08/16 21:08:47 ALSA output set sampling rate: 22579200 (22579200)
  2021/08/16 21:08:47 Automatic output rate: 22579200
  2021/08/16 21:08:47 Rate or blocksize change triggered
  2021/08/16 21:08:47 Rate: 44100, block size: 2352, frame size: 588
  2021/08/16 21:08:47 Block size: 2352 (sample: 2)
  2021/08/16 21:08:47 Oversampling: sinc (long/low)
  2021/08/16 21:08:47 Modulator: adaptive seventh order m-bit
  2021/08/16 21:08:47 Integrator: IIR
  2021/08/16 21:09:15 Playback engine ratio: 512
  2021/08/16 21:09:15 Set volume: -3 +
  2021/08/16 21:09:15 Offload: resampler=disabled convolution=disabled
  2021/08/16 21:09:15 Initialization complete, starting audio engine
  2021/08/16 21:09:15 Teams: 1
  2021/08/16 21:09:15 Places: 1
  2021/08/16 21:09:15 Parallel threads: 24
  2021/08/16 21:09:15 Nested parallelism: 4
  2021/08/16 21:09:15 Parallel pipelines: 4
+ 2021/08/16 21:09:19 ALSA output engine starting...
  2021/08/16 21:09:19 ALSA output set hardware parameters for requested rate: 22579200
  2021/08/16 21:09:19 ALSA output channels: 2 - 2
  2021/08/16 21:09:19 ALSA output active channels: 2
  2021/08/16 21:09:19 ALSA output number of periods: 2 - 1024
  2021/08/16 21:09:19 ALSA output period times: 126 - 92880
  2021/08/16 21:09:19 ALSA output period sizes: 89 - 65536
  2021/08/16 21:09:19 ALSA output period time: 92879
  2021/08/16 21:09:19 ALSA output periods: 65536 (92) / 2
+ 2021/08/16 21:09:19 ALSA output engine started at: 22579200 (22579200)
+ 2021/08/16 21:09:19 ALSA output engine running...

I do not see options to increase the parallelism or setting pipeline_sdm in hqplayerd config page.

How can I get around this issue?

hqplayerd_dsd_sync_L.jpg

Hi, having some issues with NAA discovery by HQPlayer.  The NAA is running the latest Ropieee on a Pi 4.  HQPlayer on my main Windows Audio PC (call it PC1) is not seeing the NAA so I tried it from a couple of other Windows PC's on my home network and both can see the NAA fine.  Networking is working fine on PC1 and as an aside, Spotify running on PC1 "sees" the Raspotify daemon on that same Pi4 so there is definitely connectivity to the Pi4, but HQPlayer just can't see it.  I have other Pi4's running Ropieee on the network and HQplayer on PC1 also do not see those, whereas HQPlayer on the other PC's do see them.  I've tried adding open rules for HQPlayer on the PC1 Firewall, but that didn't fix the issue.  Anything else I can try?  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, having some issues with NAA discovery by HQPlayer.  The NAA is running the latest Ropieee on a Pi 4.  HQPlayer on my main Windows Audio PC (call it PC1) is not seeing the NAA so I tried it from a couple of other Windows PC's on my home network and both can see the NAA fine.  Networking is working fine on PC1 and as an aside, Spotify running on PC1 "sees" the Raspotify daemon on that same Pi4 so there is definitely connectivity to the Pi4, but HQPlayer just can't see it.  I have other Pi4's running Ropieee on the network and HQplayer on PC1 also do not see those, whereas HQPlayer on the other PC's do see them.  I've tried adding open rules for HQPlayer on the PC1 Firewall, but that didn't fix the issue.  Anything else I can try?  Thanks!

Check that Windows doesn't have more than one network interface active. In Control Panel go to Manage Network Interfaces, and then use the toolbar buttons to disable any extra interfaces.

21 hours ago, Cogito said:

@MiskaTrying out HQPlayer Embedded which came with gentooplayer. In PCM output mode, it works great, but in SDM output mode having problems with Sinc-L filter.

I am using AMD Ryzen 9 5900x CPU with 12 cores and 24 threads.  When the source material is PCM and output is SDM with Sinc-L filter, HQPlayerd is only using 2-4 Cores and is not able to keep up. See attached pic.  Logfile shows nested parallelism as 4.  

Which build of HQPlayer Embedded is it?

Multicore DSP set to "auto"?

I have HQPlayer 4, server and client both installed on same windows 2012 R2 server. All playlists are located locally.

1) I want to load both modules server and client on startup,

2) Load server minimized, load client in full screen,

3) Load local playlist

4) and play from where I left last time. 

Is there a list of commands that I could use?

I will really appreciate if someone did this and can share the command set with me?

Rafi