IGNORED

HQ Player

3 hours ago, Miska said:

I just configure some -2s filter for Nx rates and that solves the problem for 192 etc. While keeping ext2 for 44.1/48k rates.

But I am able to do 96/48 to ASDM7EC without issue ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

2 hours ago, wolft said:

I run ASDM7EC/48 to 256 using polysinc ext2 with everything so far, also 24-192 on my Mac Mini M1.

20210223_165753000_iOS.png

Hmm ... I want! ... can you show your full HQP settings please?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hi @Miska

I know with Bluesound Node2i (TOSlink) feeding USBStreamer feeding HQP OS, you said input TOSlink jitter is not an issue. HQP OS has a clever way of dealing with this TOSlink jitter.

But is it the same on HQP Desktop, with same TOSlink source and USBStreamer connected to macOS?

Is jitter from a jittery TOSlink source managed the same on HQP Desktop and HQP OS?

Or does macOS get in the way of how you can manage incoming jitter, compared to HQP OS?

25 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

But is it the same on HQP Desktop, with same TOSlink source and USBStreamer connected to macOS?

Is jitter from a jittery TOSlink source managed the same on HQP Desktop and HQP OS?

It is handled same way always, not depending on the OS or HQPlayer product.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

HQPlayer Embedded: gapless issues

1. Lumïn app, Bubbleupnpserver, MinimServer: gapless doesn’t work
  2. MConnect, Minimserver: gapless doesn't work
  3. Audirvana, HQplayerd: gapless doesn't work
  4. Euphony, HQPlayerd: gapless doesn't work

... very different situations and gapless is not working .... something in HQPlayer Embedded is not working as it should, isn't it?

Stefano

My audio system

17 hours ago, Miska said:

It is handled same way always, not depending on the OS or HQPlayer product.

I guess the miniDSP USBStreamer itself plays the biggest part in removing jitter, since it is the part converting from jittery TOSlink to USB and providing clock to mac/PC ?

3 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

I guess the miniDSP USBStreamer itself plays the biggest part in removing jitter, since it is the part converting from jittery TOSlink to USB and providing clock to mac/PC ?

Yes, it has some PLL inside to reconstruct the clock. Also RME products like ADI-2 and HDSPe AIO have their special PLL clock recovery.

But Toslink itself is not technically as bad as sometimes people believe, if the source is not bad. And you get natural optical isolation with it.

10 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:
  1. Audirvana, HQplayerd: gapless doesn't work

For me, this is certainly gapless. (Audirvana running on macOS, content from local Thunderbolt HDD)

10 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

MConnect, Minimserver: gapless doesn't work

Never tried this with MinimServer, but with Tidal it is gapless for me most of the time.

something in HQPlayer Embedded is not working as it should, isn't it?

You are getting music playback with all those? Then certainly things are working as it should.

Gapless is optional extra with UPnP, never promised anywhere that gapless would always work.

2 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

But for me it is not ....

Fine, cannot do much about that...

2 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Does Tidal use MinimServer ? .... I’m talking about local library ... it is quite annoying comparing apples and oranges ....

No of course not. I'm not using MinimServer either.

I always play local library natively with HQPlayer, no UPnP involved. With HQPlayer's own library. Either using HQPlayer Client or HQPDcontrol app.

I use UPnP only for Tidal.

Hi @Miska

When reading the Ayre Whitepaper below, which HQP filter comes closest to their idea of ideal transient response?

poly-sinc-mqa-mp ?

It appears poly-sinc-short-mp has longer post-ringing than poly-sinc-mqa-mp and Ayre's idea of ideal is min phase + fewer post ringing cycles.

Granted, there's no info about roll-off frequency and stop-band attenuation but if it's only 1 cycle post-ringing...

https://www.ayre.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

image.png.acaf3af7999e637013f86286bc52a96b.png

1 hour ago, asdf1000 said:

When reading the Ayre Whitepaper below, which HQP filter comes closest to their idea of ideal transient response?

poly-sinc-mqa-mp ?

It appears poly-sinc-short-mp has longer post-ringing than poly-sinc-mqa-mp and Ayre's idea of ideal is min phase + fewer post ringing cycles.

Maybe yes, or minringFIR-mp. Although none of the minimum-phase are as short as Ayre's. polynomial-2 is even shorter, but linear phase.

Granted, there's no info about roll-off frequency and stop-band attenuation but if it's only 1 cycle post-ringing...

Well, from the response plot you can see that it leaks almost throughout to 44.1k.

This a bit older measurement set, so it doesn't include the filter measurement as such, but you get idea from the IMD test.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ayre-acoustics-qb-9-usb-dac-measurements

With new HQPlayer updates rolling out pretty fast, I was curious to know what would be the expected upgrade price for HQPlayer Desktop 5?

Also, for new users who would be starting their HQPlayer Desktop journey from version 5 itself what would be the first time price for them?

Will the HQ Player 4 users get any price advantage once the 5 is released?

Thank you

My old 2012 i7 MBP just about manages upconversion of 24/96 to DSD256 poly-sinc-ext2 ASDM5 48k x256 with the fans at 2750rpm to keep the CPU (32.5% usage) temperature at 64ºC.

I’m considering a headless Mac Mini for running Desktop and have the MBP as controller.

Can I use drag-drop with HQP Client installed in the MBP controlling the Mac Mini, or would this require that I run Apple Remote Desktop?

Also is a 2018 Core i3 (i3-8100B) Mac Mini underpowered for “full” DSD256?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I recently built a digital-digital converter using an Amanero Combo384 USB streamer and some Ian Canada goods.

I am able to play Native DSD512 to it via direct connection to my PC but from the 4112 NAA Image, all I can get it to do is DSD128 via DoP. I'm assuming/guessing this is a driver issue or possibly a 384 FW issue, but my results on Windows at least are encouraging in that respect.

Any suggestions on how to enable Native DSD to at least 256 via the NAA image? NAA does pick it up as "Combo384" as the output device.

Thanks!

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

23 hours ago, Miska said:

Maybe yes, or minringFIR-mp. Although none of the minimum-phase are as short as Ayre's. polynomial-2 is even shorter, but linear phase.

Well, from the response plot you can see that it leaks almost throughout to 44.1k.

This a bit older measurement set, so it doesn't include the filter measurement as such, but you get idea from the IMD test.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ayre-acoustics-qb-9-usb-dac-measurements

For impusle response of HQP filters, which filter has the highest 'signal to noise' ratio?

With the noise in this case being the pre and post ringing and the signal being the impulse itself.

Is that relevant in any way? i.e. the amplitude of the impulse response relative to amplitude of the ringing?

When I look at the filters Archimago plotted, if I eye-ball it, sinc-M? Maybe closed-form?

image.png.acaf3af7999e637013f86286bc52a96b.png

For impusle response of HQP filters, which filter has the highest 'signal to noise' ratio?

With the noise in this case being the pre and post ringing and the signal being the impulse itself.

Is that relevant in any way? i.e. the amplitude of the impulse response relative to amplitude of the ringing?

When I look at the filters Archimago plotted, if I eye-ball it, sinc-M? Maybe closed-form?

Not sure what you are asking...

Ringing is part of the impulse response.

The one that has highest signal to noise ratio is the one that has highest stop-band attenuation. But for that you need to look at the filter in frequency domain.

Point of poly-sinc and poly-sinc-short is trying to achieve best possible balance between time and frequency domains and be as good as possible in both simultaneously (this is the hard part). So poly-sinc is like middle-ground tuned to the max. And poly-sinc-short goes from that towards shorter impulse response while still maintaining good frequency domain performance as well.

1 hour ago, toddrhodes said:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I recently built a digital-digital converter using an Amanero Combo384 USB streamer and some Ian Canada goods.

I am able to play Native DSD512 to it via direct connection to my PC but from the 4112 NAA Image, all I can get it to do is DSD128 via DoP. I'm assuming/guessing this is a driver issue or possibly a 384 FW issue, but my results on Windows at least are encouraging in that respect.

Any suggestions on how to enable Native DSD to at least 256 via the NAA image? NAA does pick it up as "Combo384" as the output device.

To do it with Linux you need to flash the Amanero with different, newer firmware. Which pretty much I guess still means it becomes broken with Windows. I think the one that ships with the Amanero Combo384 board is still the old DSD-on-Windows-only firmware.

1 hour ago, toddrhodes said:

Thanks!

There are known issues with the original Amanero firmware using Linux based sources.  There is much discussion about it in T+A DAC8DSD and threads.  There are newer versions that, I believe, work correctly up to DSD512.