IGNORED

HQ Player

20 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

No, the standard with Audirvana, iTunes, JRiver and another ones players is play/pause!

But iTunes and such don't make a difference between pause and stop (you have only play/pause button)... The way I see it is that pause is pretty rarely used functionality with HQPlayer.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

20 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

OK Miska! 👍 BTW, pause is the most used function by me in HQPlayer.

I can make it pause too, instead of stop, but I'd like to hear which of the two operations people consider more useful.

Since for example filter selections and such cannot be changed in paused state, only in stopped state.

A short return of experience on the Mac Mini M1.

I noticed that it was helpful for me to relocate Roon on my NAS, and to dedicate the M1 to HQPlayer. 

As I have quite heavy convolution, I noticed that this was helping the fluidity of the experience ; now DSD 256 with ASDM7EC is easy, even from 96k or DSD 128 files.

The only remaining problem for me is 192k files upsampled to DSD 256 with EC modulators.

24 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

The only remaining problem for me is 192k files upsampled to DSD 256 with EC modulators.

That is problem of the filter choice, modulators won't make a difference to that since they operate at the output rate.

You can resolve this by selecting some lighter filter for Nx rates. If you now have for example poly-sinc-ext2 (won't work), you can instead select something like poly-sinc-lp-2s or poly-sinc-xtr-lp-2s.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Does CUDA offload of the filter become active? Have you tried something like sinc-L to DSD256 with/without CUDA offload?

Seems like it's only Sinc-M that has that behavior  with cpu usage being a bit lower, and consistent without CUDA, the the offloading of the filter is active as compute usage goes up.

1 minute ago, Yviena said:

Seems like it's only Sinc-M that has that behavior  with cpu usage being a bit lower, and consistent without CUDA, the the offloading of the filter is active as compute usage goes up.

HQPlayer shows the offload status on status bar when you start playback...

With sinc-M too it depends a lot what is your output rate, how powerful CPU you have, the model of GPU you have...

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Since it cannot do PCM natively and is best to run it at DSD, DAC Bits or dither options are not relevant. I would get started with DSD256 using ASDM5EC.

Trying to understand my own self-generated questions, the reason that I would utilize ASDM5EC vs ASDM7EC would be beneficial in what way? 

Just now, OzarkMtn said:

Trying to understand my own self-generated questions, the reason that I would utilize ASDM5EC vs ASDM7EC would be beneficial in what way? 

Since Sabre based DACs tend to have low order reconstruction filters, ASDM5EC provides gentler noise profile for such to work with. And the EC variant makes up otherwise for the gap to the higher order modulator.

47 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'd rather call it design decisions.

Quickly, I know you have better..., as the end user what does this mean for me, I know so much is subjective, do I benefit? Do you as the Developer find this beneficial or a hindrance?

If, make that when😉, making future DAC purchases, would like to have a better understanding .

I know the Oppo DAC may be somewhat limited compared to current offerings, bought it right after it was introduced.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, OzarkMtn said:

Quickly, I know you have better..., as the end user what does this mean for me, I know so much is subjective, do I benefit? Do you as the Developer find this beneficial or a hindrance?

If, make that when😉, making future DAC purchases, would like to have a better understanding .

I know the Oppo DAC may be somewhat limited compared to current offerings, bought it right after it was introduced.

It kind of poses some limitations on best choices.

For future choices, I think number one is to find a DAC that can operate just as such, pure D/A converter without performing additional DSP. There are now more choices on this area than there was when Oppo Sonica was brought to the market.

But don't worry about it too much. Just get started with ASDM5EC if possible and you can try ASDM7EC for comparison. But my recommendation with Sabre DACs at DSD256 is to go with ASDM5EC instead.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

It kind of poses some limitations on best choices.

For future choices, I think number one is to find a DAC that can operate just as such, pure D/A converter without performing additional DSP. There are now more choices on this area than there was when Oppo Sonica was brought to the market.

But don't worry about it too much. Just get started with ASDM5EC if possible and you can try ASDM7EC for comparison. But my recommendation with Sabre DACs at DSD256 is to go with ASDM5EC instead.

Jussi,

Thanks for your time and a peak under the hood.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Many DACs, like Holo Spring 1 may seem to play 48k-base DSD, but actually play it at wrong speed, using 44.1k-base clock. Which means that for example HQPlayer would convert to 12.288M, but DAC would actually play it at 11.2896M rate - thus too slow. Most DACs though either just go mute (Marantz), or play it plain wrong (Mytek Brooklyn).

I use a Matrix X-Sabre pro which I had thought does support 48k, I have the box checked and playback seems appropriate speed. Is this an audible defect and if so, is the fix just to uncheck the 48k check box?

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

12 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

I use a Matrix X-Sabre pro which I had thought does support 48k, I have the box checked and playback seems appropriate speed. Is this an audible defect and if so, is the fix just to uncheck the 48k check box?

I have the Oppo Sonica DAC that employees ESS chips. I have the 48k box checked along with Adaptive Rate box checked (not grayed) and everything plays at correct speed. 

1 hour ago, LoryWiv said:

If it works correctly, it is fine. Usually ASIO drivers on Windows didn't even expose 48k rates, so it was limited that way. But on other OS like macOS and Linux there are no such driver level limitations and thus it exposed the DAC limitations when used.

Fix is to uncheck the box (default state), which removes 48k multiples from the rate table even if DAC advertises those rates (because of PCM side support). USB Audio Class is limited in a way that it cannot have separate sample rate set for PCM and DSD.

P.S. I never understood why a DAC wouldn't select correct clock for DSD, since it is already doing for PCM anyway... Pretty much needs some additional code to be constrained that way!

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Why? There shouldn't be reason to frequently open it.

For example the dialog wouldn't be able to show all current audio devices without stopping.

Is there another way to change the filter/shaper then? That's what I'd be using it for... And it's annoying that the music stops while I pick a different filter to play with...

I am amazed at the amount of creativity being applied to building various configurations to maximize the combined use of Tidal/Qobuz/Roon/HQPlayer in ways that provide upsampled, reclocked, noise isolated, clean digital input to the DAC.  But I'm wondering whether there is any degree of agreement as to an optimal layout of the various pieces, recognizing that the answer may well differ for different price points.  Two such possible layouts are pictured below, but I'd love to hear opinions on not just which of these two is better, but on whether there is a layout that truly gets the best out of HQPlayer in a Tidal/Qobuz/Roon environment?

image.thumb.png.0f38d84b5be9a6250c0a6becab8243a5.png

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

On 2/21/2021 at 12:37 PM, semente said:

Have you tried turning off “Adaptive output rate”?

I have not, I thought it was meant for players that support both rate families

15 hours ago, Miska said:

Many DACs, like Holo Spring 1 may seem to play 48k-base DSD, but actually play it at wrong speed, using 44.1k-base clock. Which means that for example HQPlayer would convert to 12.288M, but DAC would actually play it at 11.2896M rate - thus too slow. Most DACs though either just go mute (Marantz), or play it plain wrong (Mytek Brooklyn).

so @Miska, if I switch from 44.1 to 48k when running sinc-L on the V1 holo spring should it work?  It just stops for me.  I do not have 48k family rate box checked.