IGNORED

HQ Player

5 hours ago, skipspence said:

@Miska Is there any possible to install HQP Client on a x86 OS? Guess not but asking here just for sure? Got spare Windows x86 tablet but using Win RDP to select source URI just unbearable☹️... I asked @Ales Prochazka if he could add the feature like source URI in HQPControl app but not sure if it's possible for him either?

All 32-bit OS support is fading out of all development tools. At the moment I don't have development tools installed for building such 32-bit Windows version. Linux build could be more feasible.

Is the tablet really 32-bit only?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Miska said:

All 32-bit OS support is fading out of all development tools. At the moment I don't have development tools installed for building such 32-bit Windows version. Linux build could be more feasible.

Is the tablet really 32-bit only?

Yes 32-bit (Windows 8.1) on 64-bit cpu.. I should reinstall for 64-bit if I could, but good idea anyway 😁 Thank you!

PS. Or does a 32-bit HQP 3.XX version have Client?

My windows powerhouse computer died. I have been using for years for 512 upsampling.  I'm trying to use my iMac Quad core to upsample to dsd 128 then to my older microrendu hard wired through my netgear orbi. It easily works while using the hqplayer host computer but trying to use my rendu and NAA It barely can get going. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

2 hours ago, Guf Gufler said:

My windows powerhouse computer died. I have been using for years for 512 upsampling.  I'm trying to use my iMac Quad core to upsample to dsd 128 then to my older microrendu hard wired through my netgear orbi. It easily works while using the hqplayer host computer but trying to use my rendu and NAA It barely can get going. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

FWIW: my Mac Mini M1 and ultraRendu work flawlessly with HQP (I upsample from PCM to DSD256 using ASDM7EC, poly-sinc-ext2).

15 hours ago, Zauurx said:

I wanted to test my old core i5 server as NAA with the naa-4112-x64.7z image.
After the boot, I have the pc on the network, I can ping it from the server where HQP Desktop is but HQP doesn't see it.
I wanted to test this machine instead of my Allo USBridge.

Does it have multiple network interfaces? If it does, the boot doesn't complete until all ethernet interfaces are configured through DHCP. If that's the case, you can try HQPlayer OS image instead, it will bridge all the interfaces and allow boot to complete even if all are not up.

13 hours ago, Guf Gufler said:

Rendu will have problems if network doesn't have 802.3x Flow Control functional, since it cannot deal with full gigabit speeds. Symptom for the problem are frequent longer drop-outs caused by network stalls due to massive network packet loss and subsequent re-sends.

When flow control is active, there is no packet loss because the hardware pauses traffic when network packet buffer becomes full (inside the ethernet interface hardware).

10 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

As long as we’re on this topic, can I ask what type of music you did originally expect ext2 to work best with? Relatedly, have you ever put together a list matching genres of music to filters? Or at least which filter(s) best match classical and jazz? Thanks!

My expectation was mostly for classical. But for some reason, it seems to be very good all-rounder. I have some theories why that could be the case, but it is not always easy to match subjective experiences with objective properties.

For jazz too, poly-sinc-short-mp (and poly-sinc-mp) are good, if it's a close-mic'ed production. For some productions made in clubs (Jazz at the Pawnshop) with less microphones, linear phase versions of short filters like poly-sinc-short-lp and poly-sinc-lp may be good. And for example ext2 is of course still worth trying.

I have thought about adding some genre suggestions to the filter table in the manual. But since filters have large personal preference factor due to different aspects of sound different people are sensitive to, it could be also misleading. So at least it would need to come with bold notice that "don't get stuck to these suggestions, try also other filters".

Thanks. Perhaps you could provide some broad-stroke genre/filter pairing suggestions with a sentence or two explaining the underlying rationale - e.g., what characteristics of the genre or recording methods you would expect to be enhanced by the filter, similar to how you have explained the variety of jazz recordings above.

In addition to issues of individual taste in sound, about which you are surely correct, categories of “musical genre” are broad and definitionally fuzzy at the edges. These broad categories smooth over much of the nuance of actual artistic choices by composers and performers, which can cross genre boundaries (e.g., classical works that include jazz drum sets, electric guitars, synthesizers; rock recordings that include strings or choirs).

And of course as you say, genre categories don’t define the nature of the recording techniques and technologies that are inherent to the sound of any particular recording (like your example of the Jazz at the Pawn Shop recording versus a more typical close-mic’ed studio jazz recording).

That all said, the number of filter and options in HQPlayer is impressive (and necessary) but also intimidating to a new user. Armed with a set of underlying principles to guide them, novice users could limit the field of choices as they start exploring the options rather than risk being overwhelmed by the choices. Thanks again!

On 2/28/2021 at 4:34 PM, Miska said:

Spotify is 44.1k, so you shouldn't be doing 192k input. Because then CoreAudio is doing rate conversion from 44.1k to 192k and that is unnecessary.

No, not much simpler, either doing that from Client or from the server main window.

Thanks

4 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

Thanks. Perhaps you could provide some broad-stroke genre/filter pairing suggestions with a sentence or two explaining the underlying rationale - e.g., what characteristics of the genre or recording methods you would expect to be enhanced by the filter, similar to how you have explained the variety of jazz recordings above.

In addition to issues of individual taste in sound, about which you are surely correct, categories of “musical genre” are broad and definitionally fuzzy at the edges. These broad categories smooth over much of the nuance of actual artistic choices by composers and performers, which can cross genre boundaries (e.g., classical works that include jazz drum sets, electric guitars, synthesizers; rock recordings that include strings or choirs).

And of course as you say, genre categories don’t define the nature of the recording techniques and technologies that are inherent to the sound of any particular recording (like your example of the Jazz at the Pawn Shop recording versus a more typical close-mic’ed studio jazz recording).

That all said, the number of filter and options in HQPlayer is impressive (and necessary) but also intimidating to a new user. Armed with a set of underlying principles to guide them, novice users could limit the field of choices as they start exploring the options rather than risk being overwhelmed by the choices. Thanks again!

As long as we are talking filters, I would like to put in a plug for Closed Form Fast. I have found that for me it works the best with Jazz, which according to Mr. Roon, I listen to 77.2% of the time. I only use SDM with ASDM7EC/256 into my Holo Spring 2 KTE DAC. YMMV and I have not tried it with PCM. I have done many hours of testing and other filters occasionally sound better on some material but CFF is a good all around filter.

39 minutes ago, bobflood said:

I only use SDM with ASDM7EC/256 into my Holo Spring 2 KTE DAC. YMMV and I have not tried it with PCM.

Bob, do you mean you only use jazz DSD recordings or do you mean you only upsample to DSD, not high rate PCM?

Hi!

I am very curious to HQPlayer-Software.
I got 2 Windows-PC (i3 8100, i3 4130, both without Graficcard), a Mytek DAC and Amp&Loudspeaker/Active Monitors.
I use the i3 4130 just as Audioplayer with Foobar and Musicbee & have Audiophile Optimizer installed. This one sounds noticeably better - but it sometimes make Problems with Internetradio and more.

Now I am looking for a better solution - and found HQPlayer.

I have not tried it yet, I will wait with a trial until my new Speakers arrive.

Some questions:

- How often can I reinstall?

- On how many PCs can I install?

Maybe I have to buy new, stronger hardware, therefore I ask

My favority solution would be: One PC just playing/rendering/streaming to DAC, the other PC has the control. I would like to use Foobar as the User Interface (sometimes maybe another Software, maybe Musikbee)

Its hard for me to write in English...

Bye

Ralf, Germany

21 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I have described some tips here: Audio PC Basics: Audio PC oversampling 😉

Very good. Any more examples than Steely Dan Gaucho? BTW thanks also for the playlist. Half way through and it looks like Blackbird - Andrea Schroeder, Mettavolution (including their version of PF Echoes) - Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Sad Hunk - Bahamas are going in the shopping trolley!

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

42 minutes ago, blue2 said:

Any more examples than Steely Dan Gaucho? BTW thanks also for the playlist.

Many Thanks. I think I'll publish playlists for songs with a lot of percussion and bass.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:51 PM, Miska said:

Yes, it should be good fit for such too.

I listened a lot of older Pink Floyd when developing the poly-sinc-short filter. And I mostly poly-sinc-short-mp for such music.

The most used test track was San Tropez from Meddle-album.

poly-sinc-ext2 also works surprisingly well on that track, which I didn't originally expect from the ext2 filter.

Is there any explanation/guide to your filters ?