IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, rickca said:

Does anyone have experience with this configuration to report?

I just bought a 3600X When it was announced that X3950 would be postponed to November which probably means that it will be available next year X3900 still looks like a paper launch here Denmark.

X3600 can run ASDM5EC DSD256 but ASDM7EC DSD256 is not stable. 

I have a question regarding the naa setup with dual pc's and a straight connection between the nic of control pc and the nic of the audio pc.

When I detach the ethernet cable from the control pc (and leave the direct connection between the control(2nd nic) and audio pc, I am able to select the right NAA backend under IP4. However, as soon as I reconnect the internet cable on the first nic of the control pc, I loose the NAA backend. When I connect both machines only to the switch it does not work at all.

Any suggestions I could try?

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

2 hours ago, RubenV said:

I have a question regarding the naa setup with dual pc's and a straight connection between the nic of control pc and the nic of the audio pc.

When I detach the ethernet cable from the control pc (and leave the direct connection between the control(2nd nic) and audio pc, I am able to select the right NAA backend under IP4. However, as soon as I reconnect the internet cable on the first nic of the control pc, I loose the NAA backend. When I connect both machines only to the switch it does not work at all.

Any suggestions I could try?

I'm not sure I have good picture of your setup. You should connect both HQPlayer computer and NAA to the switch, your internet router to the switch, and disable all other network interfaces on both computers. That should work fine.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 10/2/2019 at 5:27 PM, Miska said:

It may be rather related to that conversion. Converting ALAC to FLAC or WAV instead is worth trying.

I've bougth some Naxos albums from Presto Classical last weekend.

They are downloadable as 96kHz/24bit FLAC only, which I converted to AIFF using XLD.

HQ Player 3.25.4 (rate limit 44.1k x128, Auto Rate Family disabled) will not upconvert them to DSD128 but they'll play fine at PCM384. The progress bar moves but there's only faint electronic noise.

I have looked online for issues with XLD and can't find anything and unfortunately Max no longer works with MacOS 10.13...

Do you think that there could be another possible cause besides the converter?

P.S.: one of the albums is 48/24 and doesn't work either.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I use Roon for the library management and HQPLAYER control. I’m building a new computer based on the 8086K CPU and 2080ti GPU to run the EC modulators in HQPLAYER 4. My question is, can I leave my very stable current HQPLAYER 3 set-up, PCM=> DSD512x48/EXt2/ASDM7DSD, in my current computer alone/untouched to feed my T&A DAC8 DSD dac and simply add the new 8086K/2080ti computer to Roon as a new HQPLAYER  Zone to do PCM=>DSD256/EXT2/ADSM7EC to feed my Lampizator DSD-only dac? In other words, can Roon control separate HQPLAYER 3 and HQPLAYER 4 computers as different zones simultaneously? Can I keep my HQPLAYER 3 set-up untouch and simply add HQPLAYER 4 as a new Zone in Roon?

@Miska would it be possible to have a link for downloading one of the previous versions of v3?

I only have a HQPlayerDesktop3-mac-3160.dmg.

I am almost sure that I have played upconverted to DSD128 48-family files before.

At the moment none of them work, regardless of the source (Qobuz, eClassical, PlayClassics, Presto Classical).

55 minutes ago, semente said:

@Miska would it be possible to have a link for downloading one of the previous versions of v3?

I only have a HQPlayerDesktop3-mac-3160.dmg.

I am almost sure that I have played upconverted to DSD128 48-family files before.

At the moment none of them work, regardless of the source (Qobuz, eClassical, PlayClassics, Presto Classical).

You need to contact me via email.

Which filter are you using? Because not all filters can do conversion between rate families.

1 hour ago, Carlos269 said:

In other words, can Roon control separate HQPLAYER 3 and HQPLAYER 4 computers as different zones simultaneously? Can I keep my HQPLAYER 3 set-up untouch and simply add HQPLAYER 4 as a new Zone in Roon?

Yes, that works fine. I have something like 10 different HQPlayer computers as zones in Roon. HQPlayer Desktop and Embedded. You can then easily choose which one you want to play to.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, that works fine. I have something like 10 different HQPlayer computers as zones in Roon. HQPlayer Desktop and Embedded. You can then easily choose which one you want to play to.

Thanks Jussi, that’s great. Since my Lampizator DSD DAC also supports native DSD512x48, I will be able to swap the T&A DAC8 DSD and the Lampizator DSD DAC back and forth between the HQPLAYER 3 and HQPLAYER 4 computers to check out which HQPLAYER setting configuration: DSD512x48/EXT2/ASDM7DSD or DSD256x48/EXT2/ASDM7EC, and with which DAC I like better and prefer for regular use in my reference system.

i may also revisit the EXT2 versus XTR filters. Do you still prefer or use the EXT2 as your go to or regular filter of choice as you have previously reported ? Or have you been using another filter, such as Closed Form 16M, with the EC modulators with HQPLAYER 4 Desktop?

41 minutes ago, Carlos269 said:

i may also revisit the EXT2 versus XTR filters. Do you still prefer or use the EXT2 as your go to or regular filter of choice as you have previously reported ? Or have you been using another filter, such as Closed Form 16M, with the EC modulators with HQPLAYER 4 Desktop?

I'm personally using ext2 most of the time now. Still a bit undecided if I should select something else for hires (since that's possible in v4). For the old masters (early RedBook versions) of Pink Floyd for example, such as Meddle, WYWH and DSOTM, poly-sinc-short-mp also works well. But it is so much of personal preference thing anyway.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

You need to contact me via email.

Which filter are you using? Because not all filters can do conversion between rate families.

Hi Miska,

I've just sent you an email about this.

Tried all filters and it doesn't work with any of them.

Would it help to have a look at the log?

Thanks,

Ricardo

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I'm personally using ext2 most of the time now. Still a bit undecided if I should select something else for hires (since that's possible in v4). For the old masters (early RedBook versions) of Pink Floyd for example, such as Meddle, WYWH and DSOTM, poly-sinc-short-mp also works well. But it is so much of personal preference thing anyway.

come on Jussi ! I almost praise u every time I enjoy those MCH matrixed ST and you listen to the RBs?!

56 minutes ago, Miska said:

I have relatively limited amount of material in any other format, and that includes Tidal streams...

I have a Qobuz subscription myself and understand the logics. Plus ripping, tagging etc DVDA and BR is PITA time consuming. However MCH matrixed Stereo thanks to you is another league. The thread I once launched about MCH shining in Stereo attracted disdainful comments but I still stand that there's much more sense having 3 GB of 5.1 24/96 rather than 2GB of 2.0 24/192 over 1GB of 2.0 24/96 . And the MCH Pink Floyd are extremely good : extremely worth getting and processing them. Better have 50 of you favourite albums as MCH than 500 as simple Hires. IMHO. Not only the bass/drum delineation is subjectively superior but only with MCH have I ever objectively lit the leds showing that my upper bass drivers' amplifiers are hitting half of their 200 Watts capacity... Something is going on there that more precisely designed tests could characterise over a simple difference in mastering.

I really wish there was 5.1 24/96 downloads/official format rather than 2.0 24/192...

24 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Even so, I’m intrigued to increase my understanding of what filter choices make theoretical sense for hires files if you like ext2 for 1x?

I'm very liking poly-sinc-mqa-mp. Look descripe in manual:

"Also suitable for upsampling PCM sources of 88.2 kHz or higher sampling rate, especially for highres PCM recordings of 176.4 kHz or higher sampling rate. Very short ringing."

Description for mp: "minimum phase variant, good for pop/rock/electronic". This are my mostly heard genres.

9 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I'm very liking poly-sinc-mqa-mp. Look descripe in manual:

"Also suitable for upsampling PCM sources of 88.2 kHz or higher sampling rate, especially for highres PCM recordings of 176.4 kHz or higher sampling rate. Very short ringing."

Description for mp: "minimum phase variant, good for pop/rock/electronic". This are my mostly heard genres.

mqa filter is a no brainer for me @ 192, more and more so in its lp variant ie with Blue Note remasters. @ 96  my preference depends on my mood, tracks moon phase etc....

I have not had a filter crisis for a while but I found myself making strange choices ; such as xtr mp 2s with pop rock material @ 44 or 48 and even up to 96 while I grabbed, maybe wrongly, that in theory mp suits shorter filers better and that shorter filters suit higher rates better. On the other hand not sure mp and higher rates are the best marriage....

Can someone tell me if HQP 3 can front run Audirvana as library, as per Roon ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 10/6/2019 at 2:12 PM, rickca said:

Does anyone have experience with this configuration to report?

I have a Ryzen 3800X with an ASRock Pro 570M (micro-atx) motherboard.  I can run the DSD5EC modulator without problems at DSD 128, and generally without problems at 256 (I do get occasional skipping).  I am using a Scythe Mugen Rev B cooler, with 2 cpu fans.  I like the Scythe because it is virtually silent.  It is of interest to note that the DSD 256 is much more demanding than the 128.  Using the AMD RyzenMaster software, the CPU temperature rises from 56 degrees to 80 degrees when you increase the oversampling from 128 to 256.  I have not yet investigated any of the other new high demand filters.  I am using the RME ADI DAC.

9 minutes ago, steveoat said:

the CPU temperature rises from 56 degrees to 80 degrees when you increase the oversampling from 128 to 256

I'm a bit surprised your Scythe cooler with 2 fans can't tame your temps better.  What case are you using ... do you have plenty of airflow?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

5 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'm a bit surprised your Scythe cooler with 2 fans can't tame your temps better.  What case are you using ... do you have plenty of airflow?

Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 3.1 mATX Tower.  It has 2 fans.  I bought it for its size, but I don't think it has the greatest air flow.  Will look into a better case in the future.

11 hours ago, steveoat said:

I have a Ryzen 3800X with an ASRock Pro 570M (micro-atx) motherboard.  I can run the DSD5EC modulator without problems at DSD 128, and generally without problems at 256 (I do get occasional skipping).  I am using a Scythe Mugen Rev B cooler, with 2 cpu fans.  I like the Scythe because it is virtually silent.  It is of interest to note that the DSD 256 is much more demanding than the 128.  Using the AMD RyzenMaster software, the CPU temperature rises from 56 degrees to 80 degrees when you increase the oversampling from 128 to 256.  I have not yet investigated any of the other new high demand filters.  I am using the RME ADI DAC.

You should be able to run EC7 DSD 256 without stuttering, I know I needed to mess with core affinity to make it work, and also disable core pinning via the HQplayer environment variable to make it stable.

28 minutes ago, Yviena said:

You should be able to run EC7 DSD 256 without stuttering, I know I needed to mess with core affinity to make it work, and also disable core pinning via the HQplayer environment variable to make it stable.

Can i ask, do you run HQP on windows or linux? I am running embedded. I wonder whether I can change core affinity and disable core pinning under linux easily?