IGNORED

HQ Player

I've been having dropout issues too after upgrading to HQP4.  There were very occasional dropouts with HQP3, but definitely more common with v4.  I didn't find anything obvious in the HQP log.  I'm running Roon and HQPlayer on the same Windows 10 machine, with files on NAS.  Playing through NAA (NUC running Miska's NAA image) over wifi connection.  Is there a way to view the logs on the NAA?

Would it be possible to add configurable buffering to HQPlayer?  I'd be willing to live with 10, 20 seconds delay if it results in more stable playback.  I'm already dealing with 7-8 seconds of wait to start the music to use the EC modulators.

11 minutes ago, Altabay said:

I've been having dropout issues too after upgrading to HQP4.  There were very occasional dropouts with HQP3, but definitely more common with v4.  I didn't find anything obvious in the HQP log.  I'm running Roon and HQPlayer on the same Windows 10 machine, with files on NAS.  Playing through NAA (NUC running Miska's NAA image) over wifi connection.  Is there a way to view the logs on the NAA?

Would it be possible to add configurable buffering to HQPlayer?  I'd be willing to live with 10, 20 seconds delay if it results in more stable playback.  I'm already dealing with 7-8 seconds of wait to start the music to use the EC modulators.

With same settings or different ones? If you are comparing v3 without EC modulators to v4 with EC modulators, it is apples to oranges comparison...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

29 minutes ago, Miska said:

With same settings or different ones? If you are comparing v3 without EC modulators to v4 with EC modulators, it is apples to oranges comparison...

Good point.  I will try with the same setting as v3.  I was using DSD512, ext2, DSDv2 with HQP3, compared to DSD128, ext2, DSD5EC with HQP4.

Do you have any thoughts on allowing longer buffering to absorb any temoirary interruptions from Roon?

10 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer v3 doesn't have that timeout, but the adverse effect is still there. So whereas v3 may have intermittent drop-outs, v4 gives up. When this problem appears, it is indicative of a problem and should get fixed properly instead of being hidden.

Can you try if the same problem appears if you play the same file directly with HQPlayer from the NAS instead of going through Roon? Another thing that would be good to check is if the problem appears when you play local content from Roon instead of playing from NAS.

In my case, Roon local file playback happens from Thunderbolt connected external HDD, and Roon is running on macOS while HQPlayer resides on some other computer. I have so far experienced issues with Roon only when source is Tidal, but not when Roon is playing from Thunderbolt HDD. If I play same content directly from Tidal server, problem doesn't appear. Only when Roon is proxying the content from Tidal to HQPlayer.

@Miska so I went back to my original configuration of running Roon on the same PC as HQP and streaming music via wifi from the NAS.  This the setup I've been running for years now without any problems.  HQP4 worked fine and I didnt have dropouts.  Seems the issue is with Roon running on my NAS.  I have posted on the Roon website to see if I can get some help.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

9 hours ago, Altabay said:

Do you have any thoughts on allowing longer buffering to absorb any temoirary interruptions from Roon?

It can be done, but I would first like to have the root cause cleared with Roon instead of brushing problems under the carpet.

2 hours ago, tboooe said:

@Miska so I went back to my original configuration of running Roon on the same PC as HQP and streaming music via wifi from the NAS.  This the setup I've been running for years now without any problems.  HQP4 worked fine and I didnt have dropouts.  Seems the issue is with Roon running on my NAS.  I have posted on the Roon website to see if I can get some help.

OK, great! It would be great to have this fixed for good.

If necessary, I can add some huge extra buffer for Roon with very relaxed timeouts. But I really think the problem shouldn't exist in first place, so better to get this cleared up with Roon first.

3 hours ago, tboooe said:

On your NAS you probably have some benchmark apps. If you use them during playback, you can see if there is a spike on CPU/Ethernet/Disk drive and what service on your NAS may create a problem... sometimes it may be due to a NAS system upgrade. I followed up a similar issue with Roon and Synology support and in the end I had to reinstall Roon.

8 hours ago, tboooe said:

I wonder if you would have this issue running HQP 4.1.01 instead of 4.1.1.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Is creating a log file CPU intensive?  Interestingly, I get stuttering when I am creating it.  Once I uncheck the box it is fine.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

34 minutes ago, dminches said:

Is creating a log file CPU intensive?  Interestingly, I get stuttering when I am creating it.  Once I uncheck the box it is fine.

Now I see to be getting stuttering even with it unchecked which likely means it has nothing to do with the log file creation.

37 minutes ago, Yviena said:

just wondering but has anyone managed to get NAA/networked audio to output system sounds like youtube/MPC-HC/other software etc, is it even possible without latency issues to send sound from windows pc to NAA > DAC?

It has about 1 - 1.5 seconds of latency. Rest depends on how much that is problem for your use cases.

For low latency networked audio you need to look for something like RAVENNA/Dante or AVB...

Have tried all versions of HQPlayer 4.Have not decided which one I will get yet.I use HQPlayer with Roon.One issue I have found with version 4 that i don't have with 3 is when intially starting or when stopping a song most of the time when i first hit play nothing will happen.Will have to hit play a 2nd time for music to start.Also a nuc with naa is also used in set up

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Just wondering what power plan windows 10 people are using with HQPlayer ? Any benefit setting to high peformance or ultimate

Ultimate Performance works best, but at least my i7-6950X needed to be set minimum High Performance in order for it to work properly. Otherwise it would stutter even with basic settings.

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Have tried all versions of HQPlayer 4.Have not decided which one I will get yet.I use HQPlayer with Roon.One issue I have found with version 4 that i don't have with 3 is when intially starting or when stopping a song most of the time when i first hit play nothing will happen.Will have to hit play a 2nd time for music to start.Also a nuc with naa is also used in set up

I reported same problem some time back and Miska said no one else had reported it. Problem was solved for me by switching from Windows Desktop to Linux embedded version. I also use Roon and naa. 

I purchased a Nvidia GeForce 2080 Super graphics card for CUDA offload but the driver does not work in Window Server 2016.

Any suggestions as to how I get around this?

13 hours ago, craighartley said:

I reported same problem some time back and Miska said no one else had reported it. Problem was solved for me by switching from Windows Desktop to Linux embedded version. I also use Roon and naa. 

Hi, I have the same issue (need to hit play twice)...I thought it was just me.  Hopefully a fix is coming!  

34 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Miska have a chance to get a msi gaming x 1080 ti at a great price.Have the 8086k CPU.Would this be a good card for cuda offload or should i wait and get a 2080 as prices are coming down ?

For me, the difference between 1080 and 2080 was so big that I got surprised. So I would wait and get a 2080 later.

I just got another 2080 card, 2080 Ti this time, quite a bit faster than basic 2080.