IGNORED

HQ Player

42 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Only use 256/48 if your DAC is capable of decoding 48K bases DSD sources( most cannot). Otherwise set it to 256/44.1 and leave 48K unchecked above.

Denafrips Terminator could decoding 48K bases DSD sources. Very good sound.

@jimdukey What Energy Saver are you referring to?  System Prefs > Energy Saver?  With one possible exception, its settings only affect when the Mac goes to sleep, which is irrelevant to HQP because the Mac will not sleep while music is playing.  The only exception is there will be a checkbox for "Automatic graphics switching" if your Mac has 2 graphics chips.  If you do have that checkbox, hopefully Jussi can advise whether it affects CUDA offload.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

On 8/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, Miska said:

No, Roon Bridge is specific to Roon. Just like NAA is specific to HQPlayer.

You need to choose something that supports NAA, or just buy a suitable generic hardware to boot up your own.

So far Innuos has never expressed any interest in supporting NAA functionality.

Hi Jussi, 

I finally pulled the trigger. A Zen was my choice...

I have managed to have the Roon Core running on the Zen and HQP on my the Sonic Transporter i5. But I need to keep the uR in the equation.

So far I am getting the best sound I ever had (the 3 together). 

Is there any other solution (that supports NAA) less expensive  so I could use my uR in another system?

Tks,

Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, for example this one booted up from my NAA image:

https://up-shop.org/home/339-up-gws01w4g-memory32g-emmc-boardwo-vesa-plate.html

Thank you so much Jussi, but I'm afraid I really do not totally understand the concept. Again I am so sorry for my ignorance.

I am an old guy and I don't even now how to install an OS without a CD player! :-)  

As such, I have a couple of additional questions:

i) It seems that the the Nuc doesn't come with an OS. How can I install an OS, and which one?

ii) What is a NAA image? Is it an app?  If yes, where can I get it? I have an new embedded HQP license on my Sonic Transporter, and another one on my old Mac. 

iii) If the NAA image is an app, why can't it run in the sonic transporter that also runs the HQP server?

Thank you so much and my apologies again for these questions,

Jorge  

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Just now, soares said:

Thank you so much Jussi, but I'm afraid I really do not totally understand the concept. Again I am so sorry for my ignorance.

I am an old guy and I don't even now how to install an OS without a CD player! 🙂

As such, I have a couple of additional questions:

i) It seems that the the Nuc doesn't come with an OS. How can I install an OS, and which one?

ii) What is a NAA image? Is it an app?  If yes, where can I get it? I have an new embedded HQP license on my Sonic Transporter, and another one on my old Mac. 

iii) If the NAA image is an app, why can't it run in the sonic transporter that also runs the HQP server?

Jorge  

There's also the new ALLO Usbridge that comes preinstalled with dietpi+NAA+room bridge, I think they said they are gonna get the aluminium cases in a week, or two.

18 minutes ago, soares said:

There's a bootable NAA image that includes full custom OS and NAA functionality. It can be placed on a USB memory stick and the computer booted from that one. No other installation or configuration needed. The memory stick can be removed after the device has been booted up, it is only needed during boot time.

19 minutes ago, soares said:

It is a full custom Linux-based OS (like in Rendus too), but made for the sole purpose of running NAA and nothing else. It is variant of HQPlayer OS.

21 minutes ago, soares said:

You can connect DAC directly to a sonicTransporter if you like, you don't need to use a NAA at all unless you want to. NAA only moves part of the HQPlayer functionality to a separate network device.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

13 minutes ago, Yviena said:

There's also the new ALLO Usbridge that comes preinstalled with dietpi+NAA+room bridge, I think they said they are gonna get the aluminium cases in a week, or two.

Thank you so much. Oh this seems to be rather inspiring! A single box plug&play? Too good to be true. 

Is this the link?

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html

So, if I connect this device to my network (ethernet) and then to my Dac (USB), I will get HQP upsampling  on my STi5?

Cheers,

Jorge  

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

There's a bootable NAA image that includes full custom OS and NAA functionality. It can be placed on a USB memory stick and the computer booted from that one. No other installation or configuration needed. The memory stick can be removed after the device has been booted up, it is only needed during boot time.

It is a full custom Linux-based OS (like in Rendus too), but made for the sole purpose of running NAA and nothing else. It is variant of HQPlayer OS.

You can connect DAC directly to a sonicTransporter if you like, you don't need to use a NAA at all unless you want to. NAA only moves part of the HQPlayer functionality to a separate network device.

Thank you Jussi! 

I'll probably use an easier route, as it was pointed out by Yviena. I also see some SQ disadvantages  in connecting my STi5 to my Dac  due to USB jitter!     

In any case, where can I find a bootable NAA image to download?

Thank you,

Jorge

Thanks Jussi!

:-)

1 hour ago, soares said:

Thank you so much. Oh this seems to be rather inspiring! A single box plug&play? Too good to be true. 

Is this the link?

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html

So, if I connect this device to my network (ethernet) and then to my Dac (USB), I will get HQP upsampling  on my STi5?

Cheers,

Jorge  

Yeah there is that one, there's also the usbridge signature , atm they only sell the PCB of the signature  version as the chassis hasn't arrived yet.

If I where you I would maybe wait for the signature version as they said it will have better compatibility/performance, and even lower noise.

11 minutes ago, clang said:

I cannot find the key file so I must have accidentally deleted it. Can I get a replacement?

I'm using Desktop 4.

Just send me email from the email address you used for the order. Or some other order details. But if you have the original email, it may be there as attachment.

37 minutes ago, Yviena said:

Yeah there is that one, there's also the usbridge signature , atm they only sell the PCB of the signature  version as the chassis hasn't arrived yet.

If I where you I would maybe wait for the signature version as they said it will have better compatibility/performance, and even lower noise.

Yes, Tks. I’ll wait a little bit. In any case, as I will be using the etherregen before, I am not sure if I would need the signature... choices, choices and more choices....

Follow-up to Mac Energy Saver Question-

It only puts the screen display to sleep while listening to music.

Does it increase available power, or does it decrease it ?

I can't really hear any difference.

AV has setting to Prevent the Screen from sleeping.

Just curious. And TIA!

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 1.56.56 pm.png

14 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

Follow-up to Mac Energy Saver Question-

It only puts the screen display to sleep while listening to music.

Does it increase available power, or does it decrease it ?

I can't really hear any difference.

AV has setting to Prevent the Screen from sleeping.

Just curious. And TIA!

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 1.56.56 pm.png

It probably doesn't have much effect. But it may reduce amount of noise the computer generates, because GPU doesn't need to work. And on iMac the display can go off too.

50 minutes ago, Miska said:

[Display sleep] probably doesn't have much effect. But it may reduce amount of noise the computer generates, because GPU doesn't need to work.

I hadn’t thought of that!  It may not help, but I changed the display sleep from "never" to 1 min.  Thanks to both Jim and Miska for the idea.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Hey all, installed trial version of hqplayer4 and when I go to set it up it won’t acknowledge my exasound ASIO drivers and I can only use core audio. Anybody have any ideas why?

I’m running a Mac with an exasound e32 dac using hqplayer 3 with no issues but when I try hq4 I run into this problem.

3 hours ago, Kirbyt said:

Hey all, installed trial version of hqplayer4 and when I go to set it up it won’t acknowledge my exasound ASIO drivers and I can only use core audio. Anybody have any ideas why?

I’m running a Mac with an exasound e32 dac using hqplayer 3 with no issues but when I try hq4 I run into this problem.

If you search this thread for exaSound, you'll see that Miska confirmed that HQP version 4 is incompatible with the exaSound ASIO driver.  However, I find the sound quality of version 4, especially the new EC filters, via the Core Audio driver exceeds the sound quality of version 3 with exaSound's ASIO driver.

Hi @Miska

HQ Player 3.25 can't upconvert these 24/96 files to DSD128 for some reason but upsamples to 384kHz without any issues.

Do you have any idea of what could be causing this?

I will download one track in 16/44.1 to see if the problem persists.

Thanks,

Ricardo

P.S.: I forgot to link the album in question

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/jazz-classics-lintegrale-les-grands-classiques-du-jazz-de-sydney-bechet-a-count-basie-various-artists/3610159235078

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 hours ago, semente said:

Hi @Miska

HQ Player 3.25 can't upconvert these 24/96 files to DSD128 for some reason but upsamples to 384kHz without any issues.

Do you have any idea of what could be causing this?

I will download one track in 16/44.1 to see if the problem persists.

Thanks,

Ricardo

P.S.: I forgot to link the album in question

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/jazz-classics-lintegrale-les-grands-classiques-du-jazz-de-sydney-bechet-a-count-basie-various-artists/3610159235078

Does this happen with any 96k album or just this one?

Since most DACs don't support DSD at multiples of 48k base rate, please check that you have rate limit set to 44.1k x128, that you don't have Auto rate family enabled, and that filter you have selected supports cross-family conversion (manual includes this information).