IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, dctom said:

Don't seem to be able to drag and drop files into HQP server play list.

Also have been unable to export library after scanning in HQP 

Server screen crashes when I browse the client library list.

Sounds like the server side is not working correctly. Can you email me a log file?

What happens when you try to export the library?

For any crashes I would usually need to be able to reproduce the crash in order to fix it. Otherwise it is very hard to figure out where it is crashing.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 minutes ago, dctom said:

I am not sure of how to get a log file?

At the bottom of the Settings panel, you can click on Log File. This will create a log file which is located in the main HQP directory.

So, if the Log File already checked in Settings, you have a log file already that you can send to Miska (info@signalyst dot com).

If not, check the box then restart HQP and work the steps that are causing the problem.

@Miska Just curious but is there actually any benefit to 40 bit/240db performance of ext2/xtr compared to -192db performance of poly-sinc, and if so in what situations would it be audible?

I think I remember you saying somewhere that it would help high-rate modulators but unsure if this applies to DSD256.

6 hours ago, Yviena said:

@Miska Just curious but is there actually any benefit to 40 bit/240db performance of ext2/xtr compared to -192db performance of poly-sinc, and if so in what situations would it be audible?

I think I remember you saying somewhere that it would help high-rate modulators but unsure if this applies to DSD256.

Technically it is potentially beneficial from DSD128 up and more so from DSD256 up. 192 dB comes from 32-bit PCM output resolution. While higher figures apply for SDM outputs, or noise-shaped high-rate PCM. This is still quite theoretical digital domain thing since from analog perspective either is extremely low level. But stop-band attenuation defines the ultimate boundary of reconstruction accuracy, so it should be anyway beyond DAC analog domain resolution.

So I would say audible differences are not solely due to the stop-band attenuation, but partially about shape and steepness of the roll-off, which in turn defines many other properties. Because all of the things are mathematically interlinked.

ext2 vs xtr is actually quite interesting comparison, because the filter lengths are not much different, nor stop-band attenuation either. Differences are elsewhere. But due to the differences, source content matters to some extent, because ext2 is strictly apodizing while xtr is not. Some older material like early Pink Floyd DSOTM and Meddle RedBook releases (not the recent remasters!) don't need apodizing function and there you can try for differences that are not due to that aspect.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Technically it is potentially beneficial from DSD128 up and more so from DSD256 up. 192 dB comes from 32-bit PCM output resolution. While higher figures apply for SDM outputs, or noise-shaped high-rate PCM. This is still quite theoretical digital domain thing since from analog perspective either is extremely low level. But stop-band attenuation defines the ultimate boundary of reconstruction accuracy, so it should be anyway beyond DAC analog domain resolution.

So I would say audible differences are not solely due to the stop-band attenuation, but partially about shape and steepness of the roll-off, which in turn defines many other properties. Because all of the things are mathematically interlinked.

ext2 vs xtr is actually quite interesting comparison, because the filter lengths are not much different, nor stop-band attenuation either. Differences are elsewhere. But due to the differences, source content matters to some extent, because ext2 is strictly apodizing while xtr is not. Some older material like early Pink Floyd DSOTM and Meddle RedBook releases (not the recent remasters!) don't need apodizing function and there you can try for differences that are not due to that aspect.

Hmm I see, can there be different strengths of apodizing between various filters, and if I may ask, what made you change  your listening preference to ext2?

5 hours ago, Yviena said:

Hmm I see, can there be different strengths of apodizing between various filters, and if I may ask, what made you change  your listening preference to ext2?

probably the same reason why i stay with Polysinc Lp  , i like the sound of it 😉

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes there can, it is not black and white thing. ext2 just sounds so good to my ears...

Hmm I see, what do you find ext2 does better on than your previous favourite polysinc-lp?

I tried to compare between those two but it's kind of hard to do it quickly enough, I wonder if it is feasible to make the filters switchable on the fly, I like the sound of both ext2, and poly-sinc-lp though I think poly-sinc-lp sometimes has faster transients.

58 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

so you would not agree that you have bested it with the new long lp ?

btw, how do they differ ?

Not to my ears, but it is just my personal preference. Someone else probably has different opinion.

poly-sinc-short, poly-sinc and poly-sinc-long form a group of filters with short, medium and long impulse response, and correspondingly steeper roll-off. Otherwise they are same. poly-sinc-ext2 and poly-sinc-xtr are also different in many other ways. poly-sinc-long is length-wise between poly-sinc and poly-sinc-ext2/xtr. ext2 and xtr are length- and attenuation-wise very similar to each other, but otherwise different.

15 hours ago, Miska said:

Would there be a case for thinking that xtr, being non-apodising, might be more appropriate for hi-res files, or is this irrelevant?

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

Would there be a case for thinking that xtr, being non-apodising, might be more appropriate for hi-res files, or is this irrelevant?

For hires (44.1k and 48k never counts as hires), it doesn't make as much difference because content is not heavily hitting the Nyquist frequency all the time. For 88.2/96k content it still happens at times, but drastically less for 176.4/192k content (so apo function doesn't have much meaning at highest resolutions).

15 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Hi Miska.Solved problem of having to hit play twice to start music.Changed network adapter setting from network adapter ipv6 to just network adapter and works properly now.Any ideas why ?

I don't know, IPv4 and IPv6 should behave the same way... I cannot think of why it would be different.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:39 PM, Miska said:

I don't know, IPv4 and IPv6 should behave the same way... I cannot think of why it would be different.

Didnt fix.Worked properly for about a hour now back to hitting play twice.When watching task bar when hit play cpu speed and memory go way up then cpu goes all the way to 1 % memory goes back to normal but doesnt play to second press

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Didnt fix.Worked properly for about a hour now back to hitting play twice.When watching task bar when hit play cpu speed and memory go way up then cpu goes all the way to 1 % memory goes back to normal but doesnt play to second press

DAC fell out? Are you sure you don't have the same DAC enabled as a zone in Roon too?

9 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Jussi,

I have had the two press problem for a long time as well but never reported it as it is not a major problem. 

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

I have had the two press problem for a long time as well but never reported it as it is not a major problem. 

I have not seen such myself yet. But I suspect in most cases when such has happened, DAC has disappeared when HQPlayer is using it (IOW, when HQPlayer is running).

But OTOH, I always power DAC up first before HQPlayer. Holo Spring's USB interface is active also in standby mode, and the EVGA NuAudio card cannot be even powered down separately from the computer.

49 minutes ago, markjock3 said:

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered but hoping I could get a quick answer without wading through all there posts.

I have a license for HQPlayer 3, do I need a new license for desktop 4? I have tried registering with my current license and nothing happens.

thanks 

Look WebShopUpgrade discount coupon codes available for existing customers of HQPlayer Desktop 3. 😉

4 hours ago, Miska said:

I have not seen such myself yet. But I suspect in most cases when such has happened, DAC has disappeared when HQPlayer is using it (IOW, when HQPlayer is running).

But OTOH, I always power DAC up first before HQPlayer. Holo Spring's USB interface is active also in standby mode, and the EVGA NuAudio card cannot be even powered down separately from the computer.

Should naa device be powered on at all times ? Or should I turn on in order of dac,naa,then HQPlayer PC .

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Should naa device be powered on at all times ? Or should I turn on in order of dac,naa,then HQPlayer PC .

You can power up either in that order, or leave NAA running. When HQPlayer is closed, it releases the audio device behind NAA and returns NAA into idle state waiting for connections.