IGNORED

HQ Player

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

Does this happen with any 96k album or just this one?

Since most DACs don't support DSD at multiples of 48k base rate, please check that you have rate limit set to 44.1k x128, that you don't have Auto rate family enabled, and that filter you have selected supports cross-family conversion (manual includes this information).

I have other 24/96 from other sources (PlayClassics, Decca, BIS) and they play fine.

And I can confirm that rate limit is set to 44.1k x128 and that the Auto Rate Family option is disabled.

I had Qobuz set to download ALAC which I then convert to AIFF on XLD. I'm now downloading FLAC 16/44.1 to see if it works.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

39 minutes ago, Miska said:

Does this happen with any 96k album or just this one?

Since most DACs don't support DSD at multiples of 48k base rate, please check that you have rate limit set to 44.1k x128, that you don't have Auto rate family enabled, and that filter you have selected supports cross-family conversion (manual includes this information).

I've downladed the 16/44.1 files and they work fine. Considering that these recordings are at least 70 years old Redbook is fine.

Thanks.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I have been experimenting with routing amazon musichd directly into hqplayer version 4. Upsampling and using ext2 filter sounds surprisingly good. However, my set up is a little off at certain frequencies and I have always used roon's eq to adjust for that. That option is unavailable running through hqplayer directly. I am wondering if there is software that allows one to create a eq curve and save it as an IR file for use in hqplayers convolution engine. I don’t need a full room correction solution here, just a simple eq curve that could be used in hqplayer. Ideas?

thanks

30 minutes ago, Ernie said:

I have been experimenting with routing amazon musichd directly into hqplayer version 4. Upsampling and using ext2 filter sounds surprisingly good. However, my set up is a little off at certain frequencies and I have always used roon's eq to adjust for that. That option is unavailable running through hqplayer directly. I am wondering if there is software that allows one to create a eq curve and save it as an IR file for use in hqplayers convolution engine. I don’t need a full room correction solution here, just a simple eq curve that could be used in hqplayer. Ideas?

RoomEq Wizard should work for that purpose, adjusting parametric eq manually there and then exporting it's impulse response as WAV file that you can use for HQPlayer's convolution engine.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

RoomEq Wizard should work for that purpose, adjusting parametric eq manually there and then exporting it's impulse response as WAV file that you can use for HQPlayer's convolution engine.

Thanks.....I will give it a try.

10 hours ago, Ernie said:

thanks

Can you share how are you sending Amazon to HQ

TIA

1 hour ago, Bob Stern said:

REW (Room EQ Wizard) for creating impulse response for parametric EQ

Here are the instructions I created for my own use over a year ago.  Please post any corrections, since the REW user interface may have changed since then:

Prefs > EQ > Default Equaliser = Generic

Prefs > View > clear “Enable mouse wheel zoom” if using a trackpad.

Open EQ window by clicking EQ button (or Tools menu > EQ).

• Gear button: Clear “Invert Filter Responses”.  Click Gear button again to close dialog.

Open “EQ Filters” window by clicking “EQ Filters” button (top center of EQ window).

Close EQ window.

Return to “EQ Filters” window:

• Clear “Always on top”.

• Control = Manual for filter bank #1.

• Type = PK for parametric EQ.

• enter Q=1.4 for BW = 1 octave.  (0.67 for BW=2.)  http://www.rane.com/note170.html

• Alternatively, Type = HS for high-freq shelf.  dB should be negative to shelve down above specified frequency.

• Leave EQ Filters window open to assist in naming IR file afterward.

Bring the main REW window to the front by clicking it or cmd-tilde.

File menu > Export > Export filters impulse response as WAV.

Clear “Normalize Peak”.  Mono.  32-bit (integer).  Sample rate 192.

• No minus sign or other non-alphanumeric characters in filename.  Easier to save with default filename and then edit it immediately after saving.

Thank you for this...there are a couple of steps I missed, but basically the same approach has worked for me

46 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

Can you share how are you sending Amazon to HQ

TIA

Sure...I am sending amazon from a tablet to an airport express. The express is plugged into the audio in miniplug jack on a imac that is running hqplayer. I choose built in input as the backend for hqplayer version 4. 

15 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

REW (Room EQ Wizard) for creating impulse response for parametric EQ

Here are the instructions I created for my own use over a year ago.  Please post any corrections, since the REW user interface may have changed since then:

Prefs > EQ > Default Equaliser = Generic

Prefs > View > clear “Enable mouse wheel zoom” if using a trackpad.

Open EQ window by clicking EQ button (or Tools menu > EQ).

• Gear button: Clear “Invert Filter Responses”.  Click Gear button again to close dialog.

Open “EQ Filters” window by clicking “EQ Filters” button (top center of EQ window).

Close EQ window.

Return to “EQ Filters” window:

• Clear “Always on top”.

• Control = Manual for filter bank #1.

• Type = PK for parametric EQ.

• enter Q=1.4 for BW = 1 octave.  (0.67 for BW=2.)  http://www.rane.com/note170.html

• Alternatively, Type = HS for high-freq shelf.  dB should be negative to shelve down above specified frequency.

• Leave EQ Filters window open to assist in naming IR file afterward.

Bring the main REW window to the front by clicking it or cmd-tilde.

File menu > Export > Export filters impulse response as WAV.

Clear “Normalize Peak”.  Mono.  32-bit (integer).  Sample rate 192.

• No minus sign or other non-alphanumeric characters in filename.  Easier to save with default filename and then edit it immediately after saving.

Bob...I noticed that when you save the IR file you indicate a sampling rate of 192.  Is that chosen on the basis of what is going to be coming into hqp (44.1, in my case) or what is coming out after upsampling in hqp?

thanks

1 hour ago, Ernie said:

Bob...I noticed that when you save the IR file you indicate a sampling rate of 192.  Is that chosen on the basis of what is going to be coming into hqp (44.1, in my case) or what is coming out after upsampling in hqp?

Since the IR is scaled to match the source sampling rate, it is best to use as high resolution as possible for it. 352.8 or 384k being about the best option. This way it for sure covers frequency band of any musical content and for PCM sources doesn't need to be scaled up, only down.

2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

@Miska do the improvements in NAD 3.6.0 impact SQ ? even if small I would upgrade . otherwise I won't since it just works mighty fine as is ever since I booted my UP with the image on a stick

There shouldn't be any change in sound quality. Changes are functional in nature, around other operations than the actual streaming.

It gets fully functional with next releases of HQPlayer, when the HQPlayer side gets updated too.

my preferate HQP4 setting is still   PolysincLp non2S / DSD5v2 256 /DSD512   with T+A dac8dsd  , even if the Ec modulators are good too but i will wait for DSD512 to use it withe T+A ..😉

my question is with HQP3  the waiting time for Polysinc conversion was quite long  and take 99% of the CPU  , with HQP4 it's the double with only 60% of the CPU , is it normal?

(my computer is a I76700K high performance mode 4.28GHZ 16go of ram.)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

3 hours ago, juanitox said:

my preferate HQP4 setting is still   PolysincLp non2S / DSD5v2 256 /DSD512   with T+A dac8dsd  , even if the Ec modulators are good too but i will wait for DSD512 to use it withe T+A ..😉

That may be quite long wait...

3 hours ago, juanitox said:

my question is with HQP3  the waiting time for Polysinc conversion was quite long  and take 99% of the CPU  , with HQP4 it's the double with only 60% of the CPU , is it normal?

(my computer is a I76700K high performance mode 4.28GHZ 16go of ram.)

Load yes, v4 puts the work on each core, but not on the siblings. Time should be the same. I just benchmarked and with same settings both take 5 seconds for me.

2 hours ago, juanitox said:

polysinc LP  to DSD512   and  polysincLP 2s  to DSD512    should be the same in timing ?

No, -2s is quite a bit faster to initialize.

But poly-sinc-lp initialization on both v3 and v4 should take the same time. Although v4 shows virtually about half lower CPU load.

22 hours ago, Miska said:

If you use PCM to Holo Spring, you should set DAC bits to 20, otherwise you have notable amount of distortion in the output, especially at low levels. You should also set dither to at least TPDF. Leaving it at "none" means you are generating quantization distortion on purpose.

What the best PCM-settings for Denafrips Terminator: True balanced 26BIT  R2R +  6BIT DSD (32 steps FIR Filters)?

And DSD x48? It's possible and I think that's the best, but I'm not sure. 😊

30 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

What the best PCM-settings for Denafrips Terminator: True balanced 26BIT  R2R +  6BIT DSD (32 steps FIR Filters)?

And DSD x48? It's possible and I think that's the best, but I'm not sure. 😊

I would need to measure Terminator for that. Or Denafrips would need to provide measurements. Until then you can play safe and set DAC Bits to 20, likely it is not much off...

I'm planning to get Ares II for some testing. But Terminator is too expensive for my current R&D DAC buying budget.

27 minutes ago, Xoverman said:

under DAC resolution setting, what Bit depth is "Defalt" ?

It is the one reported by the driver as device resolution. To some extent it depends on particular device, backend and driver in use, how good device capability reporting it has.

For example Holo Spring 2 has sample size of 32-bit, but it reports resolution to be 24-bit. Then it depends on OS/driver whether this information finds it's way through to HQPlayer. Depending on that, HQPlayer "Default" is either 24 or 32 bits.

If your DAC is behind S/PDIF or AES/EBU which are unidirectional, HQPlayer has no way of knowing actual resolution of DAC behind such connection. For those cases it is especially important to set the resolution through DAC Bits setting. Especially for cases when the DAC is for example 16-bit, while the digital link can send 24-bit.

On 9/11/2019 at 7:50 AM, rickca said:

Please remind me, has anyone successfully run the EC modulators at DSD256 on a Ryzen 3700X or similar?  

Does anyone have experience with this configuration to report?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I started using Roon (latest release) a few times with Hqplayer 3.25.4. In the hqplayer setting I set "PCM defaults> sample rate 192 kHz" but in playback the sample rate is always 176.4 kHz Why? Am I wrong about the setting?

This is my hardware and software configuration:

Xeon E 2124G Processor; motherboard Super Micro X11SCZ-F; RAM DDR4 ECC 16 GB; SSD SAMSUNG NvMe 250 gb; ROON latest version; Windows 10 Home build 1903; Apogee Rosetta 200 + Big Ben master clock + Matrix X-SPDIF 2

hqplayer setting.JPG