IGNORED

HQ Player

22 minutes ago, dminches said:

It is actually important since every since upgraded to NAA 3.5 my microRendu doesn't not show up unless I reboot it.  I am not sure what's going on but I am finding both 3.5 and 3.16 unstable.  Either way, I reinstalled 3.15 since 3.16 won't run.

In normal use you don't need that dialog at all. It is only to change name of the NAA which is not supported by microRendu anyway. So it is not really much of use with microRendu.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I'm just about to buy a licence for HQPlayer but need to decide to which platform. I downloaded the trial version two weeks ago to my Macbook Pro (i5/8GB) and used it both on MacOS and Windows 10 (bootcamp) with a Humminboard as NAA. I'm not sure if I hear much or any difference between HQPlayer running on Mac or Windows (and in this case the hardware being identical). Has anyone experimented or is there some common agreement as to which one sounds better? I searched this forum but couldn't find related posts, maybe used wrong keywords. 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

19 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

If I restart HQPlayer it will play the 44.1 converted to DSD256 track fine and then create a pop and crap out when playing the DSD64 track that worked fine previously.  Same end result dead HQPlayer until restarted or reconfigured.

Me: "I think you can't mix DSD files and red book CD in the same HQPlayer tracklist."

11 hours ago, Miska said:

You can, this has been changed quite a while ago. Works fine with standalone HQPlayer or through Roon.

You may experience stops still during playlist if there are conflicts between requested settings and the source format resulting in impossible playback request.

Thanks for the correction, I guess I last checked on 3.13 and just avoided this afterwards. So possibly Dr Tone is using an old version or has a conflict between settings and source format? Does HQPlayer stop gracefully if it's asked to initialise in an 'impossible' settings v source format scenario? 'Pops' can be bad news for loudspeakers :( so it would be nice to get to the bottom of this.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

1 hour ago, blue2 said:

Me: "I think you can't mix DSD files and red book CD in the same HQPlayer tracklist."

Thanks for the correction, I guess I last checked on 3.13 and just avoided this afterwards. So possibly Dr Tone is using an old version or has a conflict between settings and source format? Does HQPlayer stop gracefully if it's asked to initialise in an 'impossible' settings v source format scenario? 'Pops' can be bad news for loudspeakers :( so it would be nice to get to the bottom of this.

3.13 already had the capability to be flexible with source formats. Yes, it stops just the same way as you would click stop-button. Pops are usually due to DAC/driver problems...

Hi Miska, I have the following problem.
I have a dual pc system, where the NAA is a Gygabyte 2807 with WS2012R2 and AO, while the pc server is an i7-3770k with 16 gb ram and Nvidia GeForce 660 Ti video card.
I usually listen by upsampling all files to DSD256 at 11.2 (44.1 x 256) since my dac North Star Design Supremo (probably due to a problem with the Amanero 384 driver that has not yet been solved), if I set 48 x 256, after a few minutes of listening of a track, begins to produce severe distortion on the right channel.
I have the latest version of HQP, 3.16, and I really like the new filters xtr-2s, so I am using those.
Just because I can't use DSD256 at 12.2, I left "Auto rate family" disabled, while "CUDA offload" is enabled.

However, I have a problem that occurs only with xtr-2s filters and only with PCM files 24/192, which, with the above settings, at 11.2 are unlistenables, because there is severe stutter.
If I disable "CUDA offload" it's all okay; similarly, everything works well if I set 48 x 256 (but then there is the problem of distortion on the right channel that I have already described), or if I use other types of filters (i.e. for example poly-sinc-mp-2s).
On the server pc I also use Fidelizer Pro set to "Streamer" and "Audiophile" level, but does not depend on that, because the problem exists even if I don't use Fidelizer.

This problem does not occur with PCM files to other resolutions (i.e. 44.1, 88.2, 96 or 176.4) nor with the DSF files, but only with PCM files to 24/192., and only with xtr-2s filters.
I also tried the method suggested in this thread:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/29996-hqplayerwin10i5-how-to-get-rid-of-dropouts/, thinking it might be a problem due to the frequency of the processor, but nothing has changed.
What can be the technical explanation?
thanks

- Pc Server: Win 10 Pro 64bit with two NICs (one dedicated to JPLAY/HQPlayer) with Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso

- NAA Pc: Gygabyte 2807 - Windows Server 2016 Virtual Core Mode with AO v. 2.20b6 and Process Lasso

- Wireworld Starlight usb 3.0 (from NAA) + iGalvanic 3.0 + Furutech GT2 USB cable + iFi iUsb Micro 3.0 + Oyaide Continental 5S Silver (to DAC) 

- dac T+A DAC 8 DSD  - preamplifier Audio Research LS22r - amplifier Mark Levinson 27.5 - loudspeakers Dynaudio Confidence C1

- Interconnets: Kimber Kable Select - Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC

- Headphones: Focal Utopia   - Headphone Amplifier: Bryston BHA-1

@Miska

There is a problem with HQPlayer latest version:

$ dpkg -l hqplayer

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold

| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend

|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)

||/ Name                                    Version                  Architecture             Description

+++-=======================================-========================-    

ii  hqplayer                   3.16.0-59                          amd64                      Signalyst HQPlayer Desktop

in Debian Stretch crashes immediately:

$ hqplayer

locale=C, country=Default, language=C

Illegal instruction

It happens with official kernel of Stretch (linux-image-4.9.0-2-amd64) and with kernel 4.10.

42 minutes ago, pocarrie said:
Hi Miska, I have the following problem.
I have a dual pc system, where the NAA is a Gygabyte 2807 with WS2012R2 and AO, while the pc server is an i7-3770k with 16 gb ram and Nvidia GeForce 660 Ti video card.
I usually listen by upsampling all files to DSD256 at 11.2 (44.1 x 256) since my dac North Star Design Supremo (probably due to a problem with the Amanero 384 driver that has not yet been solved), if I set 48 x 256, after a few minutes of listening of a track, begins to produce severe distortion on the right channel.
I have the latest version of HQP, 3.16, and I really like the new filters xtr-2s, so I am using those.
Just because I can't use DSD256 at 12.2, I left "Auto rate family" disabled, while "CUDA offload" is enabled.

However, I have a problem that occurs only with xtr-2s filters and only with PCM files 24/192, which, with the above settings, at 11.2 are unlistenables, because there is severe stutter.
If I disable "CUDA offload" it's all okay; similarly, everything works well if I set 48 x 256 (but then there is the problem of distortion on the right channel that I have already described), or if I use other types of filters (i.e. for example poly-sinc-mp-2s).
On the server pc I also use Fidelizer Pro set to "Streamer" and "Audiophile" level, but does not depend on that, because the problem exists even if I don't use Fidelizer.

This problem does not occur with PCM files to other resolutions (i.e. 44.1, 88.2, 96 or 176.4) nor with the DSF files, but only with PCM files to 24/192., and only with xtr-2s filters.
I also tried the method suggested in this thread:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/29996-hqplayerwin10i5-how-to-get-rid-of-dropouts/, thinking it might be a problem due to the frequency of the processor, but nothing has changed.
What can be the technical explanation?
thanks

I noticed very similar yesterday - I am resampling all to DSD256, using the xtr-2s filter, AMSDM7 512+s modulator, and it works well for all except 24/192 PCM.  I think it's a processor utilization thing:  upsampling 24/44, for example, CPU % runs about 60%, 24/96 goes up to around 70%, but 24/192 suddenly jumps to and pegs at 100%.

Not sure if it just hits a "knee" in processor utilization at 24/192 or if there's a bug that makes the code unstable at that rate, but thought I'd corroborate same issue here.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

15 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

I noticed very similar yesterday - I am resampling all to DSD256, using the xtr-2s filter, AMSDM7 512+s modulator, and it works well for all except 24/192 PCM.  I think it's a processor utilization thing:  upsampling 24/44, for example, CPU % runs about 60%, 24/96 goes up to around 70%, but 24/192 suddenly jumps to and pegs at 100%.

Not sure if it just hits a "knee" in processor utilization at 24/192 or if there's a bug that makes the code unstable at that rate, but thought I'd corroborate same issue here.

I don't think it's a problem of cpu load (at least, not in my case).

In fact, the problem disappears if I disable "CUDA offload", and in this case, CPU %  even significantly grows (40% vs 23%).

I've tried  also to choose  different settings in "Multicore DSP" (blank, grey, permanently enabled) but without effects. 

I'm curious to know the technical reason that explains the fact that the problem goes away by disabling CUDA offload ...

- Pc Server: Win 10 Pro 64bit with two NICs (one dedicated to JPLAY/HQPlayer) with Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso

- NAA Pc: Gygabyte 2807 - Windows Server 2016 Virtual Core Mode with AO v. 2.20b6 and Process Lasso

- Wireworld Starlight usb 3.0 (from NAA) + iGalvanic 3.0 + Furutech GT2 USB cable + iFi iUsb Micro 3.0 + Oyaide Continental 5S Silver (to DAC) 

- dac T+A DAC 8 DSD  - preamplifier Audio Research LS22r - amplifier Mark Levinson 27.5 - loudspeakers Dynaudio Confidence C1

5 hours ago, pocarrie said:

I'm curious to know the technical reason that explains the fact that the problem goes away by disabling CUDA offload ...

How much is your GPU load? When you exceed the GPU capability, the result will be exactly the same as when you exceed CPU capabilities...

6 hours ago, bibo01 said:

@Miska

There is a problem with HQPlayer latest version:

in Debian Stretch crashes immediately:

Illegal instruction exception happens when CPU encounters an instruction it doesn't understand (support). What is the CPU in question?

Please provide "model name" and "flags" lines from "cat /proc/cpuinfo" output.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Illegal instruction exception happens when CPU encounters an instruction it doesn't understand (support). What is the CPU in question?

Please provide "model name" and "flags" lines from "cat /proc/cpuinfo" output.

This is the PC that crashes with HQPlayer Desktop:

model name      : Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5200  @ 2.50GHz
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm

It's dated, but it still does its job. With previous version of HQP (tested up to 3.13) was capable of conversion PCM to DSD128.

As far as NAD, (I get a crash with the same error), a verified on an old thin-client, a Fujitsu "Futro S550". CPU is AMD (an old Opteron, if I am not mistaken). 

This is the data for the options used to compile a dedicated Linux kernel:

# cpuinfo2cpuflags-x86
CPU_FLAGS_X86="3dnow 3dnowext mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3"

# gcc -march=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1
/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.9.3/cc1 -E -quiet -v - -march=k8-sse3 -mmmx -m3dnow -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mno-ssse3 -mno-sse4a -mcx16 -msahf -mno-movbe -mno-aes -mno-sha -mno-pclmul -mno-popcnt -mno-abm -mno-lwp -mno-fma -mno-fma4 -mno-xop -mno-bmi -mno-bmi2 -mno-tbm -mno-avx -mno-avx2 -mno-sse4.2 -mno-sse4.1 -mno-lzcnt -mno-rtm -mno-hle -mno-rdrnd -mno-f16c -mno-fsgsbase -mno-rdseed -mprfchw -mno-adx -mfxsr -mno-xsave -mno-xsaveopt -mno-avx512f -mno-avx512er -mno-avx512cd -mno-avx512pf -mno-prefetchwt1 --param l1-cache-size=64 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=512 -mtune=k8 -fstack-protector-strong

On 3/25/2017 at 6:39 PM, Miska said:

In normal use you don't need that dialog at all. It is only to change name of the NAA which is not supported by microRendu anyway. So it is not really much of use with microRendu.

How can we get microRendu to support changing the NAA name?  I have two microRendu NAAs and HQPlayer has trouble detecting both units because they are both named "default".

29 minutes ago, Altabay said:

How can we get microRendu to support changing the NAA name?  I have two microRendu NAAs and HQPlayer has trouble detecting both units because they are both named "default".

I've asked Jesus of Sonore a while ago if they could add it. I cannot change the microRendu OS, so it needs to be done by Sonore.

If there are two NAAs with the same name, they will get confused to each other and end up with all kinds of random misbehavior...

3 hours ago, bibo01 said:

This is the PC that crashes with HQPlayer Desktop:

It's dated, but it still does its job. With previous version of HQP (tested up to 3.13) was capable of conversion PCM to DSD128.

As far as NAD, (I get a crash with the same error), a verified on an old thin-client, a Fujitsu "Futro S550". CPU is AMD (an old Opteron, if I am not mistaken). 

This is the data for the options used to compile a dedicated Linux kernel:

In this case, the kernel doesn't matter. In first case, CPU is missing the needed minimum features (SSE 4.2)  and that's why the process exits. With Windows you can use the 32-bit binary on this particular hardware.

When it comes to networkaudiod, the 32-bit binary should work on PentiumPro level and newer hardware. With networkaudiod 32/64-bit doesn't really matter.

17 hours ago, Miska said:

How much is your GPU load? When you exceed the GPU capability, the result will be exactly the same as when you exceed CPU capabilities...

I suspect that you're right, as usual... :D

These are the specs of my Nvidia GTX 660 Ti:

58d923253c4ce_Immagine0.thumb.jpg.80ed1c9777d0cb3e676a0c884ec4dff6.jpg

This is the performance by playing a file 24/192 to DSD 256 at 11.2 with CUDA offload disabled:

58d9245b7803c_Immagine2.thumb.jpg.120fc933c62098f3dfc62fa74d29a47f.jpg 

and this is with CUDA offload enabled:

58d9242b81e8c_Immagine1.thumb.jpg.e530d69e7e74192552d3b2959e88ef37.jpg

It seems that upsampling  these files (24/192) to DSD256 without "auto rate family" is too hard job for my video card..maybe it's time to do an upgrade of my pc server...9_9

10 hours ago, Miska said:

In this case, the kernel doesn't matter. In first case, CPU is missing the needed minimum features (SSE 4.2)  and that's why the process exits. With Windows you can use the 32-bit binary on this particular hardware.

Thanks.

One can use an older version like 3.13 (I'm not sure about 3.14). However, the problem is that in up to date systems (Ubuntu 16.04 / Mint 18.x / Debian Stretch) old versions cannot be installed. Indeed, HQP versions compiled for Ubuntu 14.04 (also working on Debian 8 "Jessie") depend on "libqt5declarative5" library, which it does not exist nor installable in Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian 9 "Stretch". 

Is it possible to do anything about it (short of keeping an old OS)?

10 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

One can use an older version like 3.13 (I'm not sure about 3.14). However, the problem is that in up to date systems (Ubuntu 16.04 / Mint 18.x / Debian Stretch) old versions cannot be installed. Indeed, HQP versions compiled for Ubuntu 14.04 (also working on Debian 8 "Jessie") depend on "libqt5declarative5" library, which it does not exist nor installable in Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian 9 "Stretch". 

Is it possible to do anything about it (short of keeping an old OS)?

Easiest is to keep using 14.04 LTS for it. Canonical maintains 14.04 LTS until April 2019. I'm not sure how long Jessie will be maintained, but it is still the "current" version. Because Stretch has not yet reached release status, it is currently in feature freeze bug fixing mode for release preparation.

Running Hqplayer with Roon.Using a nuc for Naa.Constanly having this problem and can't seem to get a answer.Everything will be working fine.Come back next day Hqplayer will not work on its own or with Roon.Not changing any settings just turn off one day come back next day an it will not work ???????????? 

56 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Running Hqplayer with Roon.Using a nuc for Naa.Constanly having this problem and can't seem to get a answer.Everything will be working fine.Come back next day Hqplayer will not work on its own or with Roon.Not changing any settings just turn off one day come back next day an it will not work ???????????? 

Turn off how? Just asking...

12 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Turn of by using the shutdown option on power options.This computer is only used for Hqplayer and Roon nothing else

It may be good to quit the applications nicely before shutting down the computer. But check that on next start correct DAC is selected in HQPlayer settings. And make sure the same DAC is not configured as a zone in Roon and that it is not set as Windows default audio device.

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

It may be good to quit the applications nicely before shutting down the computer. But check that on next start correct DAC is selected in HQPlayer settings. And make sure the same DAC is not configured as a zone in Roon and that it is not set as Windows default audio device.

I always closedown applications properly before shutting down.Dac is not configured as a zone in Roon and it is not set as windows default Audio device.Hit Play blue line goes back and forth across screen for a decade secs then stops but music will not play.

11 minutes ago, Miska said: