IGNORED

HQ Player

3 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

One more thing, as your previous post mentioned: you use HQplayer upsampled to DSD256 sent it to Ygg.

I doubt whether you use the correct HQplayer setup for your Ygg. It doesn't make any sense to me. Ygg doesn't support DSD for god's sake.

There are two DSP settings in HQplayer. PCM and SDM. For Ygg as multi-bit ladder dac, I have no idea why you use SDM one instead of PCM DSP in the HQplayer.

louis, you or the forum software made it seem as if I said something I didn't.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 minutes ago, Jud said:

louis, you or the forum software made it seem as if I said something I didn't.

Nah, this reply is not off-topic. It's quite related to HQplayer's setting for certain dac. I doubted @DSD256 a while ago for using SDM dsp in HQ for his Ygg.

Other than that, I agree with your previous comment. Everyone is free to like what they want. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

15 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

Nah, this reply is not off-topic. It's quite related to HQplayer's setting for certain dac. I doubted @DSD256 a while ago for using SDM dsp in HQ for his Ygg.

Other than that, I agree with your previous comment. Everyone is free to like what they want. 

louis - See who appears to be quoted saying there is better software for Yggy in one of your comments a little while ago.  It isn't who actually said what you are quoting.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

louis - See who appears to be quoted saying there is better software for Yggy in one of your comments a little while ago.  It isn't who actually said what you are quoting.

omg, I quoted the wrong post. My apology to you. I meant to quote DSD256. :$

Still need to get used to the new CA user interface. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

1 minute ago, louisxiawei said:

omg, I quoted the wrong post. My apology to you. I meant to quote DSD256. :$

Still need to get used to the new CA user interface. 

NP, we're all getting accustomed to the differences.

9 hours ago, DSD256 said:

Thanks for finally commenting on topic.

You think the measurements are accurate? A quick googling brought me to different measurements,

which obtained for example significantly better jitter measurements than John Atkinson. http://superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-yggdrasil-stereophile-review-measurements.3762/

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-yggdrasil-measurements.413/

Of course, all reviews are subjective, yours, mine. There is no objectivity here. 

Some reviewers, on the other hand, want to give their reviews some sort of objectivity by taking measurements.

By the way, John Atkinson comes to significantly worse measurements when measuring other DACs (MSB Analog DAC, NAD's M51), but then evaluates them significantly better and finds the measurements still optimal.

JA:  "a pleasure to measure such a good performing product ... so well thought out and so well engineered" and "almost beyond reproach. Color me impressed." "NAD's M51 Direct Digital DAC offers measured performance that is almost beyond reproach. Color me impressed." Further reading: http://superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-yggdrasil-stereophile-review-measurements.3762/

So i give a s... on those measurements. What counts is how it sounds. According to the exellent measurements, the RME ADI-2 Pro must be the worlds best Dac.  

Miska:"The reasons why R2R ladders cannot be very precise are purely based on physics an manufacturing tolerances.  I've explained the behaviors here on this site multiple times and not going to repeat the same over and over again."

Mike Moffat, however, comes with the Yggdrasil diametrically to another result. Miska, so your truth is not THE truth, but your opinion and that's fine. You can always repeat it, but it remains always your opinion, not more. 

Regarding the combination Yggy and HQplayer, I also think that there is better sounding software esspecialy for the Yggy. Probably lies the real strength of the HQplayer, in the ability to curb the sharpness of the delta-sigma DACs design. Ich

To me Audirvana sound much better with the Yggy. With the delta-sigma DACs i have had, to me HQplayer sounded best.

In conclusion, I am in no way to lift the Yggdrasil into the light. There are lots of great good-sounding DAC's.

My main criticism remains:

Miska:"Those multi-bit ladders don't achieve the price/performance of delta-sigma DACs though. And even best ones don't come close to best delta-sigma DACs in terms of performance."

This statement is nonsense.

If I proceed in the sense of a metacritic, the probability is very high that a product is really good at many positive reviews. If i look at different reviews, multibit DAC's are always on the top of the game.

Yes certainly measurements are usually accurate and objective. The measurements in those links don't look much better. Saying that some other gear doesn't perform too well either doesn't make make it any better. Measurements don't mean something sounds good, but they show if there are problems to be addressed. So as  I've said, I pre-filter things first based on measurement to make sure that there are no obvious problems. Then I can go to the how something sounds area...

ADI-2 Pro certainly performs very well and extremely well for the price. But so do many others too. I have also said ADI-2 Pro sounds very good to me, but you need to pay attention how it is configured so that it is running in Direct DSD mode at DSD256.

I'm not going to argue about how something sounds to you, I have no way of arguing about that. I cannot say that something else sounds better to you.

I ignore JA's end comments and draw my own conclusions from the measurement results.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I ignore JA's end comments and draw my own conclusions from the measurement results.

He said the Meridian MQA DAC measurements he published were "superb."

@Miska,

I'm test driving a McIntosh C47 which is suppose to do DSD256.

Specifications:

1 (accepts PCM signals up to 32-bit/384kHz; supports DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 plus DXD 352.8kHz and DXD 384kHz)

Anyway, I can't get HQPlayer to be stable at all with non DOP delivered DSD when fed from Roon.  It will play a track DSD64 converted to DSD256 using poly-sinc.  Try to change a track to something that is 44.1 being converted to DSD256 I get a loud pop and playback dies.  At which point HQPlayer is dead in the water  won't play anything even the previous DSD64 that just worked fine.

If I restart HQPlayer it will play the 44.1 converted to DSD256 track fine and then create a pop and crap out when playing the DSD64 track that worked fine previously.  Same end result dead HQPlayer until restarted or reconfigured.

PCM: poly-sinc, NS5, 352.8

SDM: poly-sinc-2s, ASDM7, 44.1K x256

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  The following works fine for DSD128 DOP.

PCM: poly-sinc, NS5, 352.8

SDM: poly-sinc, ASDM7, 44.1K x128

Thanks,

Jeff

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

@Dr Tone what PC are you using? You might be maxing out your CPU. To check, open up task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del then choose task manager). Keep an eye on your CPU usage, then start HQP and attempt to play back that file. DSD is more demanding on computer power than PCM, especially high sample rate DSD. 

7 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

@Dr Tone what PC are you using? You might be maxing out your CPU. To check, open up task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del then choose task manager). Keep an eye on your CPU usage, then start HQP and attempt to play back that file. DSD is more demanding on computer power than PCM, especially high sample rate DSD. 

I'm running a 3770 i7 with 8GB of Ram.  I normally have a GTX1080 in the box as well but it's current being shipped back to EVGA, stepping up to a GTX1080ti.  Roon Core is on a separate machine.

Just to note that when it pops and dies on the next track it happens instantaneously.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I took Roon out of the equation and same thing using anything other than DOP doesn't work.  I also put in my older GTX Titan to use while I wait for the 1080ti to get back to me.

Is there any benefit to adjusting the buffer setting in HQP versus the USB driver settings panel?  I am getting a little bit of crackling/static sometimes so I assume adjusting the buffer will help.  I am using an NAA running in a windows PC. I am not sure if that matters in terms of the best method to adjust the buffer.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi everybody, 

I want to know something and i really need your help and your advices. 

In fact i have two DAC a ps audio nuwave older version no dsd support and a ifi nano idsd dsd support 

So to push at the Best hqplayer what could you advices to me ? 

Should i use the psaudio or the ifi nano ?

Thank you by advance. 

Regards, 

Aurelien 

2 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

One last test, I told Roon to convert everything to DSD256 and it was fine so it seems very specific to HQPlayer.

I think you can't mix DSD files and red book CD in the same HQPlayer tracklist. The only way to do that would be stop HQP at the end of the last track of one type then restart with the first track of the second set. The initialisation routine seems to looks at the first file type when you start playing but doesn't check subsequent files are the same type. Maybe others/Miska can confirm this.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

Just now, blue2 said:

I think you can't mix DSD files and red book CD in the same HQPlayer tracklist. The only way to do that would be stop HQP at the end of the last track of one type then restart with the first track of the second set. The initialisation routine seems to looks at the first file type when you start playing but doesn't check subsequent files are the same type. Maybe others/Miska can confirm this.

I do it with DSD128 over DOP.

1 hour ago, westside said:

Should i use the psaudio or the ifi nano ?

Why not to try both and then to decide? You could understand the sound difference and then you could decide what you like more according to your personal taste and preferences.

Nano's USB isolation is not the best, or otherwise said, it profits from using additional USB fixers like UpTone Regen, iUSB Nano or iUSB Micro. New iGalvanic for $299 was announced and has to be produced very soon.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
14 minutes ago, blue2 said:

I don't use Roon. You can mix tracks of any format in HQPlayer playlist mode. When format changes between playlist tracks, HQPlayer performs initialization and that can take some time - from less than a second to any longer time depending on your HQPlayer settings and computer hardware.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
2 hours ago, blue2 said:

You can, this has been changed quite a while ago. Works fine with standalone HQPlayer or through Roon.

You may experience stops still during playlist if there are conflicts between requested settings and the source format resulting in impossible playback request.

5 hours ago, tboooe said:

Is there any benefit to adjusting the buffer setting in HQP versus the USB driver settings panel?  I am getting a little bit of crackling/static sometimes so I assume adjusting the buffer will help.  I am using an NAA running in a windows PC. I am not sure if that matters in terms of the best method to adjust the buffer.

With ASIO drivers, it is preferable to leave HQPlayer buffer set to "Default" and adjust buffer from the driver's control panel. If there is no control panel, then you can try to adjust the buffer settings from HQPlayer, but some drivers won't allow this and will stick to static buffer size without any way of changing it (Amanero as an example).

With WASAPI you can adjust the buffer size from HQPlayer and for USB devices you quite frequently need to. 100 ms is good starting point.

I uninstalled 3.15 and installed 3.16.  When I go to the network naming menu the program crashes.  I can't get it to run anything.  I just crashes when I try to do anything.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

17 minutes ago, dminches said:

I uninstalled 3.15 and installed 3.16.  When I go to the network naming menu the program crashes.  I can't get it to run anything.  I just crashes when I try to do anything.

Strange, I haven't been able to reproduce the crash. But that dialog should be really rarely needed and non-critical...

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

Strange, I haven't been able to reproduce the crash. But that dialog should be really rarely needed and non-critical...

It is actually important since every since upgraded to NAA 3.5 my microRendu doesn't not show up unless I reboot it.  I am not sure what's going on but I am finding both 3.5 and 3.16 unstable.  Either way, I reinstalled 3.15 since 3.16 won't run.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific