IGNORED

HQ Player

4 minutes ago, simonklp said:

I concur with the saything that HQP 3.15.1 has a more natural sound than 3.16, although the sound of 3.16 is more smooth, i.e. less harshness.

I'm afraid not 3.15.1 but 3.15. 3.15.1 really has the problem.

I'm now a 3.16 lover. 

I set the buffer time to 100ms and re-install the fidelizer pro. So do harsheness like 3.15.1

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

21 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

I'm afraid not 3.15.1 but 3.15. 3.15.1 really has the problem.

I'm now a 3.16 lover. 

I set the buffer time to 100ms and re-install the fidelizer pro. So do harsheness like 3.15.1

Very interesting...

A little while ago I asked Miska about Fidelizer and Process Lasso (and ParkControl) and he discouraged my use of these products for it interferes with HQP.

I suspect that all the goodness to be obtained from those products are more that ever inside HQP, hence my love for 3.16 and its better than ever SQ.  But the risks of interference have risen then. 

Indeed Miska is pretty transparent on signalyst.com : "HQPlayer Desktop 3.16.0 released!
 Improved support for higher number of CPU cores (8+) and automatic configuration for multicore systems."

1 minute ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Very interesting...

A little while ago I asked Miska about Fidelizer and Process Lasso (and ParkControl) and he discouraged my use of these products for it interferes with HQP.

I suspect that all the goodness to be obtained from those products are more that ever inside HQP.  But the risks of interference have risen then. 

Good to know. Thanks for the information.

My PC's performance is on the edge. (i7 3770 + GTX 780). With the help of Fidelizer pro 7.6, i do feel that running HQplayer is more stable. However, there is no SQ improvment regaring using HQplayer + Fidelizer Pro.

Without Fidelizer pro, I can't do too much multi task when HQplayer is running for the upsampling to DSD512. Otherwise, it would cause playback stutter when open other prorgramme on my PC.

Now I can at least reply to you while listen to HQplayer's DSD512 using poly-sinc-xrt-2s filter. :D

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

4 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

Good to know. Thanks for the information.

My PC's performance is on the edge. (i7 3770 + GTX 780). With the help of Fidelizer pro 7.6, i do feel that running HQplayer is more stable. However, there is no SQ improvment regaring using HQplayer + Fidelizer Pro.

Without Fidelizer pro, I can't do too much multi task when HQplayer is running for the upsampling to DSD512. Otherwise, it would cause playback stutter when open other prorgramme on my PC.

Now I can at least reply to you while listen to HQplayer's DSD512 using poly-sinc-xrt-2s filter. :D

:D

10 minutes ago, simonklp said:

I do not use Fidelizer and Process Lazzo. I have only installed HQP with AO.

Although I also feel that 3.16 is somewhat smoother in SQ, I like 3.15 more because its sound appears to be more natural.

I think I agree with this.  3.16 does sound good but 3.15 does sound better to me too.  I think I am going to downgrade back to that version.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

52 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I think I agree with this.  3.16 does sound good but 3.15 does sound better to me too.  I think I am going to downgrade back to that version.

52 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Give it time. I had to breakin 3.16 over 2 days before it sounded great.

1 hour ago, Theobetley said:

For me 3.16.0 is a huge Improvement in sound over 3.15.1. I had actually gone to 3.14.4 because of the sound in 3.15.1. Has also been more reliable in my system. I'm using an IFI Black Label at DSD512. 

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

4 hours ago, simonklp said:

I concur with the saything that HQP 3.15.1 has a more natural sound than 3.16, although the sound of 3.16 is more smooth, i.e. less harshness.

Aren't you mixing 3.15.0 (often referred as 3.15) and 3.15.1 ?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
4 hours ago, Theobetley said:

What did you have to break in?

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

5 minutes ago, mirekti said:

What did you have to break in?

Agreed.  I was wondering the same thing.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Ahem. Coming back on topic. Miska, I will be building a new PC. The objective of my new PC is to have enough processing power to run HQPlayer, convolving 8 channels, and in DSD256. I am prepared to spend as much money as is necessary to reach my objectives ;)

I have a question for you - should I go with Broadwell-E (more CPU cores, but less pipeline speed), or Kaby Lake (cheaper, fewer cores, more pipeline speed). Essentially, does HQP prefer more cores, or more pipeline speed? 

Of course I have already factored a GTX 1080 video card into the equation. 

(Choice of Broadwell-E vs. Kaby Lake also means that I have more TDP to deal with, which in turn will impact on the choice of case and design of the PC, so this is a very important question for me!) 

Funny that I am building a $3-4000 computer just to run your software. They should pay you a commission. 

This is a new term to me software break-in. I bet it only happen in audiophile. :-)

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

1 hour ago, Keith_W said:

Ahem. Coming back on topic. Miska, I will be building a new PC. The objective of my new PC is to have enough processing power to run HQPlayer, convolving 8 channels, and in DSD256. I am prepared to spend as much money as is necessary to reach my objectives ;)

I have a question for you - should I go with Broadwell-E (more CPU cores, but less pipeline speed), or Kaby Lake (cheaper, fewer cores, more pipeline speed). Essentially, does HQP prefer more cores, or more pipeline speed? 

(Choice of Broadwell-E vs. Kaby Lake also means that I have more TDP to deal with, which in turn will impact on the choice of case and design of the PC, so this is a very important question for me!) 

Funny that I am building a $3-4000 computer just to run your software. They should pay you a commission. 

Keith, If you are using 8 channel convolution the I am sure miska will tell you more cores but perhaps more importantly more memory channels, If cost no object intel 6950X ($1600 in US) is the king, 6900 (around $1000) or budget 6850 ($600)  all the above have 6 cores or more minimum of 15MB L3 cache and 4 channels of memory which you want to populate.  Miska uses the  6950x for his multichannel system.

2 hours ago, tboooe said:

Agreed.  I was wondering the same thing.

When you have new software it may stress different parts of your hardware (caps etc etc) in ways they have not been stressed before. Hence break in. It is not a matter of getting used to the sound. The sound changes.

2 hours ago, Keith_W said:

have a question for you - should I go with Broadwell-E (more CPU cores, but less pipeline speed), or Kaby Lake (cheaper, fewer cores, more pipeline speed). Essentially, does HQP prefer more cores, or more pipeline speed? 

Hi Keith,

This link might give you some clues: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/entry/493-building-a-new-server-for-multichannel-processing/

Even since I upgraded my microRendu to 3.5 HQPlayer cannot find the NAA unless I reboot it.  I used it last night but then powered off my DAC.  HQPlayer needed to be restarted tonight and now it can't find the mR unless I reboot it.  Did something change in the NAA 3.5 which could be causing it?  Is there a specific version of HQPlayer that I need to be running with 3.5?  Very frustrating.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

6 hours ago, bogi said:

Aren't you mixing 3.15.0 (often referred as 3.15) and 3.15.1 ?

I originally referred to the 3.15.1 which was the last version that I used to listen before upgrading to 3.16. When Louis mentioned about 3.15, I had then compared it with 3.16, and I also found it more natural sounding than 3.16. But I have not compared if there is any difference in sound between 3.15 and 3.15.1.

In short, I feel both 3.15 and 3.15.1 are of more natural sounding than 3.16.

3 hours ago, Quadman said:

Keith, If you are using 8 channel convolution the I am sure miska will tell you more cores but perhaps more importantly more memory channels, If cost no object intel 6950X ($1600 in US) is the king, 6900 (around $1000) or budget 6850 ($600)  all the above have 6 cores or more minimum of 15MB L3 cache and 4 channels of memory which you want to populate.  Miska uses the  6950x for his multichannel system.

Thank you, that is very valuable information. That 6950X you mention has 10 cores, as opposed to lesser models which have 8 cores. I think my mind has been made up ... I will go with a 6950X. 

2 hours ago, SwissBear said:

Wow, I somehow missed that blog entry! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! My build will be a bit different from Miska's, in that I require an optical drive, will be water cooling, and will be using an outboard power supply. Time to do some research ... in particular, I will need a mobo and cooling system to suit my needs. 

Miska (if you are reading this) ... can you comment on how much noise that server you built makes? If it is quiet enough I might dispense with watercooling and just go with what you put together. 

14 hours ago, DSD256 said:

You are mixing up some things. 

Miska makes comment on a DAC he does not know! Simply! And a very bad comment! An opinion is not believing..its about knowing. 

I must comment on your definition of opinion. As you can see it is not based on knowing as you believe. 

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    "I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"
    synonyms:

beliefjudgment, thought(s), (way of) thinking, mind, (point of) view, viewpointoutlookattitudestancepositionperspectivepersuasionstandpoint;

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A