IGNORED

HQ Player

3 hours ago, tboooe said:

Thank you for the reply.  To me, I think adding a GPU only increases potential electrical noise and is not worth the trouble.  I personally prefer a fanless system using only the CPU.  I understand there may be scenarios where a GPU is actually required but doing PCM >> DSD512, a high powered CPU is enough, at least for me, even with my super old i7-3770s.

In my opinion, the best solution would be one where you have a CPU with CUDA that does not need to be fine-tuned for low noise or with a minimal Windows config, streaming to a renderer over NAA such as a microRendu, sms200 or whathaveyou.

In this setup, do we expect electrical noise on the server side to matter at all?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

@Miska: Any chance GPU acceleration could be implemented for OpenGL as well? I have an ATI card in my mac pro... :)

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

22 hours ago, Miska said:

Please enable log file from HQPlayer settings, restart HQPlayer and then attempt playback and email me the log file. You can find HQPlayer.log from %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer folder. Likely reason is that the DAC is not accessible, either due to some other process keeping it reserved or something else...

Did a system image restore to get working.I have enabled log file for the next time it happens.Thanks

2 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

I think you meant OpenCL.

Yeap.

system pics

6 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

I'm not worried about CPU, I'll upgrade if I have to.  I'll soon have the most powerful consumer Nvida GPU available and want to use it but I'm concerned about my current experience with the audio fading in and out using poly-sinc-xtr and Cuda.

6 hours ago, smartin said:

The only 'Titan' that the 1080Ti will be faster than (for HQP) is the previous generation Titan X (Maxwell).  All other older Titans, (original and Titan Black) are (much) faster.

In particular to your case, CUDA offload has CPU overhead.  There are certainly circumstances where the benefit of CUDA offload (not speaking about HQP specifically, but in general) are outweighed by the cost.  With a marginal CPU, you might be in that category.

My GTX 1080 can do RedBook to DSD256 with poly-sinc-xtr filter  at about 50% GPU load and then CPU (6950X) is dangling around 9%.

Based on scores, the 1080Ti should be a bit faster than the Pascal-based Titan X. I have not heard any scores for Kepler running HQPlayer. Older than that is not useful for HQPlayer because they lack the needed features.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

My GTX 1080 can do RedBook to DSD256 with poly-sinc-xtr filter  at about 50% GPU load and then CPU (6950X) is dangling around 9%.

Based on scores, the 1080Ti should be a bit faster than the Pascal-based Titan X. I have not heard any scores for Kepler running HQPlayer. Older than that is not useful for HQPlayer because they lack the needed features.

Any idea why the audio cuts out and back in ever couple seconds when using poly-sinc-xtr and Cuda?  Without Cuda it's fine.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I've tried searching for this here and there, and in the manual, but not finding it documented.

If you choose 5.1 channels for playback, how does HQPlayer choose what content to send to the LFE and what to the L / R speakers?  In my receiver, I can set the cutoff at a number of levels (60, 80, 100, 120Hz, etc.), but don't see where to do this in HQPlayer.

FWIW, I'm trying to almost completely bypass the DAC / processing in my AV receiver (thought it already sounds pretty good) using HQPlayer upsampling to 24/192 PCM.  I'm "good" with setting the speaker distances and levels (simply replicating what MCACC measured), but not seeing where to set the speaker size and / or low frequency cutoff that determines what to send to the sub.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

16 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Any idea why the audio cuts out and back in ever couple seconds when using poly-sinc-xtr and Cuda?  Without Cuda it's fine.

Probably because GPU is not fast enough. If the GPU is slower than CPU then that's what happens. It of course frees CPU time, but if it does that and cannot meet the delivery deadlines while doing so you get only part of the audio.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Probably because GPU is not fast enough. If the GPU is slower than CPU then that's what happens. It of course frees CPU time, but if it does that and cannot meet the delivery deadlines while doing so you get only part of the audio.

Ok thanks should go away with 1080ti then.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

2 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

I've tried searching for this here and there, and in the manual, but not finding it documented.

If you choose 5.1 channels for playback, how does HQPlayer choose what content to send to the LFE and what to the L / R speakers?  In my receiver, I can set the cutoff at a number of levels (60, 80, 100, 120Hz, etc.), but don't see where to do this in HQPlayer.

FWIW, I'm trying to almost completely bypass the DAC / processing in my AV receiver (thought it already sounds pretty good) using HQPlayer upsampling to 24/192 PCM.  I'm "good" with setting the speaker distances and levels (simply replicating what MCACC measured), but not seeing where to set the speaker size and / or low frequency cutoff that determines what to send to the sub.

By default it sends LFE channel from the sources that have it and nothing in other cases. If you want something else or low-pass filter for the sub and high-pass for main channels, you can configure it with the matrix pipeline setup. But then you need to use something to create preferred filters. IIRC, Acourate could be able to create those filters.

55 minutes ago, Miska said:

By default it sends LFE channel from the sources that have it and nothing in other cases. If you want something else or low-pass filter for the sub and high-pass for main channels, you can configure it with the matrix pipeline setup. But then you need to use something to create preferred filters. IIRC, Acourate could be able to create those filters.

Odd - my subwoofer is definitely firing, with "Pure Direct" (i.e., passthrough, no channel mixing or anything) and pure stereo source :/  Not sure where that .1 is coming from LOL

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

4 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Odd - my subwoofer is definitely firing, with "Pure Direct" (i.e., passthrough, no channel mixing or anything) and pure stereo source :/  Not sure where that .1 is coming from LOL

What kind of audio interface do you use? Some multi-channel DAC or are you using HDMI or similar?

The old Yamaha amp I have in the storage (pre-HDMI times) was in direct mode when the display said "THROUGH" (after pressing the corresponding button), but in "Direct" mode it was doing something else and still routing audio to subwoofer channel. This became apparent, because the DSP at that time couldn't process higher rates than 96k. And when 176.4/192k was input, the amp switched itself to that "THROUGH" mode and nothing else was even available. Same thing when analog 5.1 channel input was used. Those are mysterious machines and not always clearly documented...

I have a sub in my main system, but it is just analog mix & split-out from the pre-amp.

19 hours ago, juanitox said:

Hi Miska ,  what is the difference between DSD5/DSD7/ASDM7/ASDM5V2 etc..  the differences between filters are notified in the manual but not these.    i found somehow the ASDM5 softer than the ASDM7 ?

a further question for Miska: for upsampling to dsd512 (that is my goal for immediate future), HQP already has a specific modulator  (AMSDM7 512+fs); do you plan to add an equivalent DSD modulator (i.e. DSD7 512+fs) ?
l ask you this because at the moment, listening by upsampling all to DSD256, I feel that the "ASDM" category modulators sound more smooth and warm, but I prefer "DSD" modulators, more detailed and dynamics (especially with the last xtr-2s filters).

- Pc Server: Win 10 Pro 64bit with two NICs (one dedicated to JPLAY/HQPlayer) with Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso

- NAA Pc: Gygabyte 2807 - Windows Server 2016 Virtual Core Mode with AO v. 2.20b6 and Process Lasso

- Wireworld Starlight usb 3.0 (from NAA) + iGalvanic 3.0 + Furutech GT2 USB cable + iFi iUsb Micro 3.0 + Oyaide Continental 5S Silver (to DAC) 

- dac T+A DAC 8 DSD  - preamplifier Audio Research LS22r - amplifier Mark Levinson 27.5 - loudspeakers Dynaudio Confidence C1

- Interconnets: Kimber Kable Select - Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC

- Headphones: Focal Utopia   - Headphone Amplifier: Bryston BHA-1

On 3/27/2017 at 6:07 PM, Miska said:

Please enable log file from HQPlayer settings, restart HQPlayer and then attempt playback and email me the log file. You can find HQPlayer.log from %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer folder. Likely reason is that the DAC is not accessible, either due to some other process keeping it reserved or something else...

It quit working again.How do I send you files ?

16 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

The http is that a email adress because it won't let me send or is email adress the one when you click on it ?

I sent it to [email protected] is strange run computer headless with RDP.I  plugged the computer into a monitor and controlled from there then everything worked again.Maybe RDP is screwing something up ?

9 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I sent it to [email protected] is strange run computer headless with RDP.I  plugged the computer into a monitor and controlled from there then everything worked again.Maybe RDP is screwing something up ?

I got the logs... Disable CUDA support and it will likely work again, memory allocation on the graphics card is failing...

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

So disable it then rentable ?

No, just keep it off...

What kind of graphics card do you have? If you don't know the details, this utility can display some info:

http://cuda-z.sourceforge.net

Also make sure you have the latest driver from here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us