IGNORED

HQ Player

24 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I always closedown applications properly before shutting down.Dac is not configured as a zone in Roon and it is not set as windows default Audio device.Hit Play blue line goes back and forth across screen for a decade secs then stops but music will not play.

Please enable log file from HQPlayer settings, restart HQPlayer and then attempt playback and email me the log file. You can find HQPlayer.log from %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer folder. Likely reason is that the DAC is not accessible, either due to some other process keeping it reserved or something else...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

17 hours ago, Miska said:

I've asked Jesus of Sonore a while ago if they could add it. I cannot change the microRendu OS, so it needs to be done by Sonore.

If there are two NAAs with the same name, they will get confused to each other and end up with all kinds of random misbehavior...

Thanks, I'll follow up with Sonore.  What are some examples of the random problems from having two NAAs with the same name?  I don't think I noticed any such problem, but I want to know in case it helps with troubleshooting in general.

5 hours ago, Altabay said:

Thanks, I'll follow up with Sonore.  What are some examples of the random problems from having two NAAs with the same name?  I don't think I noticed any such problem, but I want to know in case it helps with troubleshooting in general.

That your DAC is not found... If NAA's (A) has name "default" just like (B), HQPlayer may try to use DAC (X) from (A) while it is in reality connected to (B). So the two NAA's and the DACs under both become completely confused, depending on who's response arrives first and who's last.

So the results are just like any other addressing conflict (IP, DNS, etc).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

@Miska I've been playing around with poly-sinc-xtr PCM -> DSD128.  My 3770 is capable of doing it right now at about 50% utilization without Cuda support.  I do have an old Titan in my box as I wait for my 1080ti step up to return,  when I enable Cuda the music starts pulsing in and out at a regular 2 sec interval.  This only happens with poly-sinc-xtr.  Any idea what's going on here?

I'm hoping it's related to my old Titan card and will go away with the 1080ti as I also have a SOTM SMS200 coming so I can hopefully do DSD256 with it in NAA mode.  Stupid McIntosh drivers.  I'll definately need Cuda working properly to pull poly-sync-xtr DSD256 off.

Thanks,

Jeff

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

2 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

@Miska I've been playing around with poly-sinc-xtr PCM -> DSD128.  My 3770 is capable of doing it right now at about 50% utilization without Cuda support.  I do have an old Titan in my box as I wait for my 1080ti step up to return,  when I enable Cuda the music starts pulsing in and out at a regular 2 sec interval.  This only happens with poly-sinc-xtr.  Any idea what's going on here?

I'm hoping it's related to my old Titan card and will go away with the 1080ti as I also have a SOTM SMS200 coming so I can hopefully do DSD256 with it in NAA mode.  Stupid McIntosh drivers.  I'll definately need Cuda working properly to pull poly-sync-xtr DSD256 off.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, I have an i7-3770s cpu running on a Server R2 pc.  I am able to do PCM>>DSD256 using any of the xtr filters.  Ttypically my cpu load is 35-50% without Cuda.  Curious, just what are your experiences?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

7 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Jeff, I have an i7-3770s cpu running on a Server R2 pc.  I am able to do PCM>>DSD256 using any of the xtr filters.  Ttypically my cpu load is 35-50% without Cuda.  Curious, just what are your experiences?

Hmmm, odd that I'm seeing close to 50% doing DSD128 I would have thought DSD256 would be heavier.  Do you talking the 2s versions?

By experience do you mean how it sounds?  If so, I judge everything by the amount of toe/finger tapping I do.  The more toe/finger tapping I do the more I like the filter.  Both were tapping pretty hard last night. :x

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

4 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Hmmm, odd that I'm seeing close to 50% doing DSD128 I would have thought DSD256 would be heavier.  Do you talking the 2s versions?

By experience do you mean how it sounds?  If so, I judge everything by the amount of toe/finger tapping I do.  The more toe/finger tapping I do the more I like the filter.  Both were tapping pretty hard last night. :x

Sorry what I meant is that it sounds like you are not able to do DSD256 with your pc? I was curious because it seems we have the same CPU.  I just tested again and using the non -2s xtr filter my cpu is 40-55%.  Did you select Multicore DSP in settings?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

4 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Sorry what I meant is that it sounds like you are not able to do DSD256 with your pc? I was curious because it seems we have the same CPU.  I just tested again and using the non -2s xtr filter my cpu is 40-55%.  Did you select Multicore DSP in settings?

My issue with DSD256 is unrelated to HQPlayer and is related to a crappy driver.  My usage of 50% is regular poly-sinc-xtr to DSD128.

Still hope @Miska might be able to to enlighten me to why audio pulses in and out when I enable Cuda.

9 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

My issue with DSD256 is unrelated to HQPlayer and is related to a crappy driver.  My usage of 50% is regular poly-sinc-xtr to DSD128.

Still hope @Miska might be able to to enlighten me to why audio pulses in and out when I enable Cuda.

I see...my point is why enable Cuda if it seems the CPU can handle DSD256 without it?

Other components:

1 minute ago, tboooe said:

I see...my point is why enable Cuda if it seems the CPU can handle DSD256 without it?

I guess time will tell when I get the SMS-200.

3 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I guess time will tell when I get the SMS-200.

I apologize if I am missing something here but adding an NAA shouldnt change anything in terms of CPU load.

Other components:

11 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Good question. 

Some of HQplayer users (mainly in Taiwan) think HQplayer CUDA offload's can yield better SQ  because of its double precision even with CPU is powerful enough alone. So that might be one of the reasons.

To be honest, I think they are obsessed with Tesla card for high double-precision floating point and claiming significantly SQ improvement by using it for HQplayer. 

I've tried it on my friend's setting (he has GTX Titan Black and 6700K), but no such thing for my ears.

Miska also told me that same calculation are performed either in GPU or in CPU and the SQ results should be mathematically exactly the same.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

1 minute ago, louisxiawei said:

Good question. 

Some of HQplayer users (mainly in Taiwan) think HQplayer CUDA offload's can yield better SQ  because of its double precision even with CPU is powerful enough alone. So that might be one of the reasons.

To be honest, I think they are obsessed with Tesla card for high double-precision floating point and claiming significantly SQ improvement by using it for HQplayer. 

I've tried it on my friend's setting (he has GTX Titan Black and 6700K), but no such thing for my ears.

Miska also told me that same calculation are performed either in GPU or in CPU and the SQ results should be mathematically exactly the same.

Thank you for the reply.  To me, I think adding a GPU only increases potential electrical noise and is not worth the trouble.  I personally prefer a fanless system using only the CPU.  I understand there may be scenarios where a GPU is actually required but doing PCM >> DSD512, a high powered CPU is enough, at least for me, even with my super old i7-3770s.

Other components:

8 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I apologize if I am missing something here but adding an NAA shouldnt change anything in terms of CPU load.

Because without it I don't have DSD256.  My DAC's windows drivers cause HQPlayer to hang and create near speaker damaging pops on start and stop of playback when doing native DSD256.

2 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Thank you for the reply.  To me, I think adding a GPU only increases potential electrical noise and is not worth the trouble.  I personally prefer a fanless system using only the CPU.  I understand there may be scenarios where a GPU is actually required but doing PCM >> DSD512, a high powered CPU is enough, at least for me, even with my super old i7-3770s.

Which is why some use a NAA to get that noisy powerful HQPlayer box away from the audio equipment.

1 minute ago, Dr Tone said:

Because without it I don't have DSD256.  My DAC's windows drivers cause HQPlayer to hang and create near speaker damaging pops on start and stop of playback when doing native DSD256.

ahhhhh....I see.  Please excuse me if you have already thought about this but what about testing using the HQP NAA running on another PC loaded with Linux?  Or buy a cheap Raspberry to try? That way you can verify that your CPU can handle DSD256 without issue (I believe it can).  BTW, good choice on the SMS-200.  I am going to get the Ultra version once it comes out.

Other components:

12 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Exactly, When upsampling PCM to DSD512 using heaviest filter and modulator, CPU load is very high. By using CUDA offload, the computer can do more tasks.

Other than that, CPU like i7 7700K is powerful enough alone for HQplayer's highest setting.

However, since the HQplayer sampling is quite demanding for CPU load, the EMI/RFI from CPU must be quite high, I'm wondering have you ever thought about some EMI Suppression Ferrite for CPU? like the link below?

http://kgs-ind.com/products/emc/emi-absorbers/emi-ferrite-sheets-tiles-for-lower-frequncy-range/sd-series/ 

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

4 minutes ago, tboooe said:

ahhhhh....I see.  Please excuse me if you have already thought about this but what about testing using the HQP NAA running on another PC loaded with Linux?  Or buy a cheap Raspberry to try? That way you can verify that your CPU can handle DSD256 without issue (I believe it can).  BTW, good choice on the SMS-200.  I am going to get the Ultra version once it comes out.

I'm not worried about CPU, I'll upgrade if I have to.  I'll soon have the most powerful consumer Nvida GPU available and want to use it but I'm concerned about my current experience with the audio fading in and out using poly-sinc-xtr and Cuda.

22 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I'm not worried about CPU, I'll upgrade if I have to.  I'll soon have the most powerful consumer Nvida GPU available and want to use it but I'm concerned about my current experience with the audio fading in and out using poly-sinc-xtr and Cuda.

I am surprised no one is reporting on the risks associated with using CUDA. First of all let me tell you that version 3.16 with xtr-s filters have provided me with the best sound I have ever had. Period! However I did have CUDA selected for a few days...just to try it out. Well I got some horrendous noises. One time the noise was so loud it set my 2A3's on my Vinnie Rossi DHT to create a very loud high pitched whistle. So loud I shut everything down because I was convinced it might create downstream failures of my electrostatics. I firmly believed it was tube noise and potentially tube failure so I talked to Vinnie. After he straightened me out to try different sources the noise was only occurring  with pc inpu from HQPt. Then after reading others had these noises with using CUDA I deselected it and haven't had an issue for 3 days. Now maybe my GPU was not up to the task but everyone should be cautious with CUDA lest they have the same issues and suffer under 3 days of problem solving as I.

29 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

The only 'Titan' that the 1080Ti will be faster than (for HQP) is the previous generation Titan X (Maxwell).  All other older Titans, (original and Titan Black) are (much) faster.

In particular to your case, CUDA offload has CPU overhead.  There are certainly circumstances where the benefit of CUDA offload (not speaking about HQP specifically, but in general) are outweighed by the cost.  With a marginal CPU, you might be in that category.

40 minutes ago, smartin said:

The only 'Titan' that the 1080Ti will be faster than (for HQP) is the previous generation Titan X (Maxwell).  All other older Titans, (original and Titan Black) are (much) faster.

In particular to your case, CUDA offload has CPU overhead.  There are certainly circumstances where the benefit of CUDA offload (not speaking about HQP specifically, but in general) are outweighed by the cost.  With a marginal CPU, you might be in that category.

Interesting, did not know that.  I also game lightly on a 4k display so I'll use the 1080TI.  Anyone want to buy an original EVGA Titan for some serious CUDA processing? :)

1 hour ago, smartin said:

Further researching, what about the original Titan makes it better at Cuda?  It doesn't have more cores and all other specs are better on the 1080TI.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.41.41 AM.png

@Miska

Hey Miska, 

Can you please make any comment for DSD1024 playback via HQplayer?

Since the hydra z interface offers USB to I2S, and its I2S supports DSD1024 with the help of its master clock through J22 I2S port, while the DAC X-Sabre Pro also supports DSD1024 through its I2S port.

However, I also remember you mentioned that I2S is a PCM-only interface. You explained before:

DSD data is sent over three lines:

1) Data left

2) Data right

3) Bit clock

While I2S consists of:

1) Interleaved left/right data

2) Word clock (sometimes called L/R clock)

3) Bit clock

4) Master clock (optional)

Then what do you think of Hydra Z with X-Sabre Pro? If linking them together through I2S port, Does it make any sesne to upsample file to DSD1024 using HQplayer?

Hi Miska ,  what is the difference between DSD5/DSD7/ASDM7/ASDM5V2 etc..  the differences between filters are notified in the manual but not these.    i found somehow the ASDM5 softer than the ASDM7 ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

@louisxiawei

I2S is PCM only standard. But the same interface connector pins (usually HDMI connector) can be used also for DSD if driver and device follow the same unofficial standard. See here:

and also look at this spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=853411704

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500