IGNORED

HQ Player

I try to add my library by using "Add tree" function and have the following problem:

-If I select the Z: drive (path is Music (\\READYNAS-PRO6) (Z:)), nothing happens, my library is not loaded in HQPlayer

-If I select the music share via Network-->READYNAS-PRO6-->Music (path is Music (\\READYNAS-PRO6)), HQPlayer starts to load the library.

So, my question is why it does not work when I select the mapped network drive?

Probably because Microsoft considers mapped network drives as old way and don't support extended file names on mapped network drives, but does on local drives. And HQPlayer doesn't know which drives are local and which are mapped. It is generally better to stick to network paths (\\server\share -style) instead.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

.. Keep eye on the "Limited" counter in HQPlayer main window, it should always stay 0.

Miska,

What does the Limited counter mean?

I've never understood the function it performs.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Miska,

What does the Limited counter mean?

I've never understood the function it performs.

It shows when a resultant DSD file is too hot and exceeds the standard, causing clipping. This can occur when out of spec SACD rips get extracted, or more likely when high sample rate PCM gets upsampled to DSD. That's why Jussi always recommends -3db as max volume setting.

You select SDM output and appropriate bitrate 5644800 (or 6144000 if your DAC supports it also) in the main window. And you set DoP as SDM pack in Settings dialog.

18476d1431170560-hq-player-pcdtodsd_withoutdirectsdm.png

No matter if your music track is PCM or DSD, always DSD128 will be output (unless you use DirectDSD in another dialog DSDIFF/DSF settings).

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
It shows when a resultant DSD file is too hot and exceeds the standard, causing clipping. This can occur when out of spec SACD rips get extracted, or more likely when high sample rate PCM gets upsampled to DSD. That's why Jussi always recommends -3db as max volume setting.

So since I only do PCM up sampling, I can ignore Jussi's recommendations ?

So since I only do PCM up sampling, I can ignore Jussi's recommendations ?

No...

HQPlayer is always monitoring the output, be it PCM or DSD for cases when output sample would exceed 0 dBFS. When such is detected, the soft-knee limiter adjustment is triggered. "Limited" indicates how many times the limiter adjustment has been triggered.

Let's say the source is RedBook format and doesn't contain clipping, but it has been incorrectly normalized (very typical) so that highest sample value reaches 0 dBFS level. Such are usually at a short term transient positions. However, given the low sampling rate, the actual highest sample position is rarely aligned with the actual transient peak position. Thus higher the upsampling ratio and thus more there are new samples, more likely it becomes that the calculated new sample values actually become much more closely aligned with the actual signal peak position and thus get higher sample values than the highest was in the original source data. Since especially with PCM you cannot go over 0 dBFS (with DSD you could temporarily go to +3.15 dB (1)) you either get the transient peaks clipped off (happens with many DAC chips (2)) or you need to do something about it (HQPlayer's soft limiter).

Another case which is also very typical is that the source PCM data contains already clipped signal. The upsampling function will try to partially recover the peak and go over the flat top of the clipped peak.

By setting volume in HQPlayer to -3 dBFS you leave some headroom for the upsampling to operate so that it doesn't immediately hit the "digital roof". And you don't get things enforced the hard way. HQPlayer's limiter has been designed to be "almost inaudible", so you may not notice when things go the hard way. But the counter and recommendation is there for avoiding that and telling you when actions have been taken.

1) Many DAC chips compensate for the DSD -6 dB relative level to make PCM and DSD sound equal volume, but this practically means that there is no headroom for going over DSD 0 dB level.

2) Wolfson DAC chips have a special configuration option for -2 dBFS digital gain for the same reason.

You also have volume in HQPlayer turned up too high because you get limiting. Make sure you don't turn it higher than -2 dBFS with -3 dBFS being recommended setting. Keep eye on the "Limited" counter in HQPlayer main window, it should always stay 0.

Thanks Miska. I must have a problem understanding what is relevant for me with only PCM and a 24/192 DAC in stereo. And the MicroRendu.

And I wish I could use HQPlayer without a PC or Headless, or just had available the main controls in Roon menu. Which is the filters/dither I guess.

Is it not as simple as I chose 2 channels. Channel offset = 0. (What ever that is), SDM Pack (What ever that is) none. Do not check 2 wire. (What ever that is), set DAC bits at 24, set sample rate 192000, since this is my DAC limitations.

More or less forget everything else, except volume as you suggest, and then only try Filter and Dither under PCM defaults ? Is it not as simple as that ?

On the main page, as a Roon user, the only thing relevant for me is to check allow network control ?

Martix, Tools, is nothing for me ? Only those few under settings as described.

So even there are many settings available, should they not be made unavailable when SDM is set to none ?

Maybe HQPlayer should be made simplere with a only PCM option ?

Maybe you can add some * in the user manual where only relevant for DSD (or PCM).

Where can I find information or a user manual for HQPlayer embedded. I have no idea what it is. Can it do the same as HQPlayer ? Is there a matrix showing the difference somewhere ?

In teori, could you not just add your DAC by a drop down list, and some settings would be adjust according to that ?

(Which I understand will cause a maintainance problem).

Still I think Roon was actually thinking in those directions when MQA was discussed as a possible SW implementation. Cause you needed to know which DAC you where dealing with in order to add the correct filters/settings. And USB is a two way communication protocol, but not all DAC's tell who they are.

Of cause that left out all SPDIF interfaces as an automatic recognition. So you still needed a list of DAC's.

You select SDM output and appropriate bitrate 5644800 (or 6144000 if your DAC supports it also) in the main window. And you set DoP as SDM pack in Settings dialog.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28594[/ATTACH]

No matter if your music track is PCM or DSD, always DSD128 will be output (unless you use DirectDSD in another dialog DSDIFF/DSF settings).

Thanks, that worked exactly as you described. I had been trying to get DSD64 and DSD128 to play at their native rates with DirectDSD but have DSD256 play at DSD128 by setting Bitrate (/Limit) to 5644800 but DSD256 would never play that way. I thought my way should have worked too.

And I wish I could use HQPlayer without a PC or Headless, or just had available the main controls in Roon menu. Which is the filters/dither I guess.

Does Roon have such controls these days? Last time I used it there was just display for the active settings, but no controls.

Is it not as simple as I chose 2 channels. Channel offset = 0. (What ever that is), SDM Pack (What ever that is) none. Do not check 2 wire. (What ever that is), set DAC bits at 24, set sample rate 192000, since this is my DAC limitations.

Sounds correct.

More or less forget everything else, except volume as you suggest, and then only try Filter and Dither under PCM defaults ? Is it not as simple as that ?

On the main page, as a Roon user, the only thing relevant for me is to check allow network control ?

Primarily you can try filter and dither settings in the main window, and once you want to set something as default, go to settings-dialog and set the ones you want as default ones.

Martix, Tools, is nothing for me ? Only those few under settings as described.

So even there are many settings available, should they not be made unavailable when SDM is set to none ?

Practically everything is available for both PCM and DSD and there are lot of possible combinations. PCM->PCM, PCM->DSD, DSD->DSD and DSD->PCM. Some cases have some specific settings, but those are grouped as such.

Maybe HQPlayer should be made simplere with a only PCM option ?

It doesn't really become any simpler that way. Some people ask more configuration options, some people less. I try to choose some path between the two.

Maybe you can add some * in the user manual where only relevant for DSD (or PCM).

It would just make it look messy without helping much...

Where can I find information or a user manual for HQPlayer embedded. I have no idea what it is. Can it do the same as HQPlayer ? Is there a matrix showing the difference somewhere ?

It is same as HQPlayer Desktop, but graphical user interface removed and replaced with a separate programmatic control interface other applications can call. If HQPlayer Desktop feels complex, you want to stay very far from HQPlayer Embedded (it has been designed for OEM use).

Still I think Roon was actually thinking in those directions when MQA was discussed as a possible SW implementation. Cause you needed to know which DAC you where dealing with in order to add the correct filters/settings.

There already seem to be software implementations of MQA in use that don't know or care about the DAC. MQA is just yet another lossy codec with DRM aspects (to be able to decode, you need to have a device approved by them). If they go bankrupt, you won't be able to get new devices able to decode your content. It is like having your content in a vault but not having a key.

And USB is a two way communication protocol, but not all DAC's tell who they are.

And even if they do, you don't know which firmware version they have.

Miska,

it's been some time now since my initial request, may I ask if you already started with the script implementation for auto source format and samplerate grouping? Or could you provide an estimated timeline?

I'm eagerly waiting for this.

Thanks!

Consultant to Taiko Audio

Primarily you can try filter and dither settings in the main window, and once you want to set something as default, go to settings-dialog and set the ones you want as default ones.

Nope, this option is not available the way I use HQPlayer. NAA, Roon, and MicroRendu.

I have to use settings.

The only usefull setting in main window is allow network control.

Edit:

They are available when i stop playing from Roon. I guess that how it is intended to be.

They are available when i stop playing from Roon. I guess that how it is intended to be.

That's right, settings cannot be changed on the fly. Entering the settings dialog will also stop playback and in addition will also disconnect from the DAC. It is much faster and lighter weight operation to alter those settings from the main window, from stopped state.

Miska, I have a question. I am trying to implement HQPlayer as a 6 channel crossover for my speakers. I generated the filters using Acourate, and I have verified that they are working correctly by loading them into JRiver. The trouble is, these filters won't work with Acourate.

I have implemented the following settings:

- Backend: ASIO

- Device: RME Fireface USB

- Channels: 5.1

- Channel offset: 0

Using the test tone generator in "Speaker Setup", I have verified that HQPlayer has assigned the correct channel to the correct speaker driver as follows:

Left: left subwoofer

Right: right subwoofer

Center: left mid

LFE: right mid

Left back: Left highs

Right back: Right highs

I have loaded the Acourate filters into HQPlayer using these settings (note, Acourate's convention is to have channel 1, 2 = bass; channel 3, 4 = mid; channel 5, 6 = highs):

Left: Acourate filter 1

Right: Acourate filter 2

Center: Acourate filter 3

LFE: Acourate filter 4

Left back: Acourate filter 5

Right back: ACourate filter 6

The Matrix Pipeline has been left at default (1=1, 2=2, 3=3, etc).

This is the problem: NO SOUND.

If I use the matrix pipeline to swap Source ch and Mix ch, I can get "almost" the correct sound if I do this: 1=5, 2=6, 3=1, 4=2, 5=3, 6=4 ... but then the subwoofer rumbles as if it is receiving the incorrect channel.

As I said before, these filters definitely work. I tested them on JRiver.

I have also read the HQPlayer manual to see how the Matrix Pipeline works. Nothing in there.

Do you have any ideas?

Miska, I have a question. I am trying to implement HQPlayer as a 6 channel crossover for my speakers. I generated the filters using Acourate, and I have verified that they are working correctly by loading them into JRiver. The trouble is, these filters won't work with Acourate.

I have implemented the following settings:

- Backend: ASIO

- Device: RME Fireface USB

- Channels: 5.1

- Channel offset: 0

Using the test tone generator in "Speaker Setup", I have verified that HQPlayer has assigned the correct channel to the correct speaker driver as follows:

Left: left subwoofer

Right: right subwoofer

Center: left mid

LFE: right mid

Left back: Left highs

Right back: Right highs

I have loaded the Acourate filters into HQPlayer using these settings (note, Acourate's convention is to have channel 1, 2 = bass; channel 3, 4 = mid; channel 5, 6 = highs):

Left: Acourate filter 1

Right: Acourate filter 2

Center: Acourate filter 3

LFE: Acourate filter 4

Left back: Acourate filter 5

Right back: ACourate filter 6

The Matrix Pipeline has been left at default (1=1, 2=2, 3=3, etc).

This is the problem: NO SOUND.

If I use the matrix pipeline to swap Source ch and Mix ch, I can get "almost" the correct sound if I do this: 1=5, 2=6, 3=1, 4=2, 5=3, 6=4 ... but then the subwoofer rumbles as if it is receiving the incorrect channel.

As I said before, these filters definitely work. I tested them on JRiver.

I have also read the HQPlayer manual to see how the Matrix Pipeline works. Nothing in there.

Do you have any ideas?

First, take the latest beta from here (remember to uninstall the older HQPlayer versions before installing the latest beta):

Signalyst - Installing HQPlayer beta

Then forget and disable speaker setup and convolution engine (although you can use convolution engine dialog to more easily select filter files for the first eight channels). Then go to the matrix pipeline setup dialog. I assume in this case you want to have stereo to 6-channel output. So you need to setup the matrix to copy first two channels to the four higher channels too:

1 -> 1

2 -> 2

1 -> 3

2 -> 4

1 -> 5

2 -> 6

In this case you can set gains to 0 dB since there is no mixing. The last column should show the correct filter files.

Thank you Miska, it worked with your suggested settings and without me having to download the beta :)

I have another question for you. Is it possible to use HQPlayer as an ASIO service, as in - does it have a digital input (which is not the CD drive or local drive). Is there a way to feed it an external digital signal, perhaps using a virtual ASIO driver? Would it be possible to use a virtual driver to mimic the CD drive and use that to input digital signal into HQPlayer?

Hi generic question, probably answered somewhere in thread already.

New to HQplayer, just got back into computer audio,

Is Cuda offload always recommended? Running win 10 64 bit, i7 5930k processor with dual nvidia 980ti video cards.

CUDA offload is particularly useful for heavy computation like upsampling to DSD512, multichannel, DSD upsampling with convolution...

As you own a nVidia video card already, you can make it work for you even in lighter conditions. Of course, its influence in terms of speed improvement would be only slight.

Update HQPlayer Advice - Please

-

Good day fine Individuals

-

I am about to install the Audiophile Optimizer and I want to update all my software first. I had trouble getting HQPlayer to work the first time and have not updated the software. I had trouble getting DSD to play and got help from a friend of a friend.

-

I need advice on how to update HQPlayer, please.

-

I have read the entire thread over the past years and know that this topic has been discussed but my thread search/web search could not find it.

-

I am running HQPlayer, Roon server, Tidal, Acourate Convolver, Windows 10, on a ATX LPS CAPS Pipeline. WASAPI Driver for DAC.

-

I will take pictures of settings in HQPlayer.

-

When I download the update will it over-write the current version and save my settings?

-

Will it automatically integrate all of the associated software?

-

Should I upgrade Roon or HQPlayer first?

-

Thank you very much.

Please enjoy your day,

Bill

When I download the update will it over-write the current version and save my settings?

Yes. If you use the latest beta version, however, you better uninstall the current version.

Will it automatically integrate all of the associated software?

Yes. All the previous setup with other applications will stay the same.

Should I upgrade Roon or HQPlayer first?

It does not matter.

Hi all,

My first post here. Been using Roon Server to HQ Player to mRendu. Most of my music files are AIFF that were up converted offline to Double DSD. Been up sampling to Quad DSD via HQ Player for the most part without issue aside from the Digital pop at the beginning of a track, which I attribute to my Auralic Vega Dac. This is all via a Mac Mini. If I set HQ to Dop

the pop is less severe but no DSD at quad rate capability. I recently started having the popping at a more severe and frequent rate to the point where a track is unlistenable.

Tried reboots etc to no avail. Tonight I decided to uncheck Pipeline SDM and the severe popping went away and playback is without issue. My understanding was that having Pipeline enabled meant all CPU cores were being used and was necessary for the task of up converting. Could this be a bug in HQ Player? Using Beta 5 right now.

My mini is a YFS modified quad core, 16 gig ram, SSD Drive. Their LPS as well.

Any thoughts?

On a side note I love how the system sounds. Be nice to be rid off the pops all together, have not been able to figure that one out. May sell my Vega and go for a Bryston BDA-3.

Thanks in advance.

Mike