IGNORED

HQ Player

Tonight I decided to uncheck Pipeline SDM and the severe popping went away and playback is without issue. My understanding was that having Pipeline enabled meant all CPU cores were being used and was necessary for the task of up converting. Could this be a bug in HQ Player? Using Beta 5 right now.

My mini is a YFS modified quad core, 16 gig ram, SSD Drive. Their LPS as well.

What exact model it is, even better if you know the CPU model? Remember that the double "cores" due to HyperThreading doesn't count as CPU cores. All the current Mac Mini models are dual-core and thus just suffer from the Pipeline SDM.

Only quad-core Mini models were i7 models of Mid 2011 and Late 2012.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Just to let the community know that there is a new touch friendly interface to HQPlayer called Alchemy Desktop for Win 7, 8.1, 10, Server 2012 64 bit.

30 day trial available. Cost AU$12

Check it out at: Alchemy Desktop

I looking forward to someone is making an iOS app for the HQPlayer. I assume Miska don't mind if someone do ? Maybe they person making iPeng could do ? (IPeng control the Logitech Media Server).

If I understand this corectly you then only need to install HQPlayer Embedded on either a PC or NAS. Or maybe you have to use that version ?

Then, why not just add a interface for the filters in the Roon app ? As I suppose that is doable as well.

Just to let the community know that there is a new touch friendly interface to HQPlayer called Alchemy Desktop for Win 7, 8.1, 10, Server 2012 64 bit.

30 day trial available. Cost AU$12

Check it out at: Alchemy Desktop

Yes, I'm working with the developer to have him release 1.01 that does better job of library import/scans. It's a very nice concept, especially stuff like the filter map (assuming one does not mix playlists with differently mapped sample rates, otherwise first mapped setup is default for rest of playlist).

I looking forward to someone is making an iOS app for the HQPlayer. I assume Miska don't mind if someone do ? Maybe they person making iPeng could do ? (IPeng control the Logitech Media Server).

No I certainly don't mind. The control interface is public to allow all kinds of controllers.

If I understand this corectly you then only need to install HQPlayer Embedded on either a PC or NAS. Or maybe you have to use that version ?

Only HQPlayer Desktop supports the control interface used by Roon/Muso/etc.

HQPlayer Embedded uses different one and allows HQPlayer to be used as UPnP Renderer. In such use, BubbleUPnP Android-app works very well as a controller.

Then, why not just add a interface for the filters in the Roon app ? As I suppose that is doable as well.

Yes, I'm working with the developer to have him release 1.01 that does better job of library import/scans. It's a very nice concept, especially stuff like the filter map (assuming one does not mix playlists with differently mapped sample rates, otherwise first mapped setup is default for rest of playlist).

From Alchemy developer:

"The current desktop application will be ported to OSX. The desktop version (Win and OSX) will be the interface between the remote app and HQPlayer. It is necessary to provide the library browsing capabilities, ramdisk and filter switching functions, although it will run in "server" mode with no UI.

Difficult to provide a time-frame at this stage."

From Alchemy developer:

"The current desktop application will be ported to OSX. The desktop version (Win and OSX) will be the interface between the remote app and HQPlayer. It is necessary to provide the library browsing capabilities, ramdisk and filter switching functions, although it will run in "server" mode with no UI.

Difficult to provide a time-frame at this stage."

This is not a smart device interface. OSX is not iOS.

As I understand this, the only thing this SW is doing is to create a remote interface to the HQPlayer on a PC or MAC.

Or have I misunderstood ?

Miska: I believe I am using an older version of HQP (3.12 I think) anyway I want to update to the latest. However I recently had an issue on my Windows 10 pc. I lost my Start button so I had to create a new user account which solved the issue but I am wondering if that will impede my updating of HQP. Will that look like a different computer to your website which then might prevent me from updating?

This is not a smart device interface. OSX is not iOS.

As I understand this, the only thing this SW is doing is to create a remote interface to the HQPlayer on a PC or MAC.

Or have I misunderstood ?

I use it on my iPad (via RDC). Much better than drag and drop.

RDC is what I call it. But yes,. Remote Desktop client.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id714464092?mt=8

Alchemy is ONLY a GUI for HQP. It is not a player, it needs HQP. I am not preferring per se, I am using Alchemy as front end and HQP as back end (Alchemy still needs work but it is a great idea). Another front end you can use is JRIver, assuming you already own it somewhere (again, not as engine, just as GUI), and just use it to drag an drop (better than Windows explorer or finder).t

HQp plus JRIver using WOT.jpg

Alchemy is ONLY a GUI for HQP. It is not a player, it needs HQP. I am not preferring per se, I am using Alchemy as front end and HQP as back end (Alchemy still needs work but it is a great idea). Another front end you can use is JRIver, assuming you already own it somewhere (again, not as engine, just as GUI), and just use it to drag an drop (better than Windows explorer or finder).t

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28681[/ATTACH]

ted_b

Have you tried this SW with Roon and MicroRendu ?

To me it does not work at all....

Can explore more later.

Miska: I believe I am using an older version of HQP (3.12 I think) anyway I want to update to the latest. However I recently had an issue on my Windows 10 pc. I lost my Start button so I had to create a new user account which solved the issue but I am wondering if that will impede my updating of HQP. Will that look like a different computer to your website which then might prevent me from updating?

It should work just fine, because HQPlayer is installed for all users, not for any particular one. Settings and library data is per user though.

ted_b

Have you tried this SW with Roon and MicroRendu ?

To be very clear, Alchemy is ONLY for HQPlayer, period. It does not work with Roon; it is a poor man's Roon (oversimplified greatly). And yes, I use a uRendu but that is irrelevant as it is used downstream as an NAA (i.e after HQPlayer gets its files from Roon or Alchemy or drag-and-drop or HQP's own library manager-GUI, etc).

To be very clear, Alchemy is ONLY for HQPlayer, period. It does not work with Roon; it is a poor man's Roon (oversimplified greatly). And yes, I use a uRendu but that is irrelevant as it is used downstream as an NAA (i.e after HQPlayer gets its files from Roon or Alchemy or drag-and-drop or HQP's own library manager-GUI, etc).

Not sure if you are clear :)

Let me explain better. I use HQPlayer with Roon and MicroRendu. So I was trying to use Alchemy as control point for the HQPlayer with setting as NAA.

I did not in this case use the latest beta HQPlayer.

It was not possible to setup Alchemy in my case. If you are saying the Alchemy can't control HQPlayer when combined with Roon, then your explaination make sence.

I have never used HQPlayer as a stand alone media player, and i probably never will. My only reason to use HQPlayer is to be able to upsample PCM Redbook and Tidal, and test some filters.

With set up, I mean "Filter Maps", it accepted the input settings, but it was not possible to create output settings. Also I did not find the setting for NAA vs Asio etc.

If you like we can create a new thread about setting up Alchemy. Not sure if usefull. This SW seems to be in its early development.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28681[/ATTACH]

Ted - Are you saying that one can use JRiver as the GUI for HQPlayer? And, if so, then how is this done? Thanks in advance.

will there be a version for hqplayer embedded?

Ted - Are you saying that one can use JRiver as the GUI for HQPlayer? And, if so, then how is this done? Thanks in advance.

In its simplest form, just install JRiver on your HQP machine and reduce each window (Jriver and HQP) to half your screen real estate. Then use JRiver to find albums and drag them across to HQPlayer. To get even more flashy, use WindowsOnTop and do this:

What exact model it is, even better if you know the CPU model? Remember that the double "cores" due to HyperThreading doesn't count as CPU cores. All the current Mac Mini models are dual-core and thus just suffer from the Pipeline SDM.

Only quad-core Mini models were i7 models of Mid 2011 and Late 2012.

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MM61.0106.B0A

SMC Version (system): 2.8f1

Serial Number (system): C07KW01TDY3H

Hardware UUID: 8F3C5549-EED3-540D-94A7-A5089E98053C

Thanks Jussi, let me know what you think

Mike

Not the audience. HQPlayer Embedded has tons of remotes...like BubbleUPnP.

hi.

i wasn't thinking about a control point, but a simple gui interface to properly build the config file for the embedded version (instead of manually editing the file)...........not sure how much of a market but seems like a pretty simple job for someone who codes and has a gui already designed.

i wasn't thinking about a control point, but a simple gui interface to properly build the config file for the embedded version (instead of manually editing the file)...........not sure how much of a market but seems like a pretty simple job for someone who codes and has a gui already designed.

HQPlayer Desktop? There are only couple of extra options that are not part of the config generated by the desktop version.

HQPlayer Desktop? There are only couple of extra options that are not part of the config generated by the desktop version.

So if I interpret this correctly, I can use the HPPlayer desktop configuration file directly with a few additions.

Can you list those couple of extra options please?

Are these additions required for the embedded version to work properly, or just 'extras'?

It sounds like this would solve my problem by

1. stop hqplayerd

2. run desktop and change parameters as needed

3. copy config file from desktop to embedded

4. manually edit for 'extra options' if needed

5. re-start hqplayerd

(from your website)

HQPlayer Embedded will utilize most of the configuration settings done by HQPlayer Desktop. There are some additional options specified in /usr/share/doc/hqplayerd/readme.txt.gz such as option to switch to SDM output mode and to configure name for the renderer. These need to be manually changed to the configuration file.

..........I guess i'm confused by the word 'need' and whether it means that it must be manually changed if those options are to be used (but not necessary) or whether any of the options are 'needed' for embedded to work. :)

..........I guess i'm confused by the word 'need' and whether it means that it must be manually changed if those options are to be used (but not necessary) or whether any of the options are 'needed' for embedded to work. :)

If you don't specify whether you want PCM or SDM output, you'll get PCM output. So "need" depends on the particular case...

Then there's for example option to make volume setting fixed, so it'll ignore whatever the Control Point tells about volume.