IGNORED

HQ Player

Hoping this isn't a really stupid question (although I'm just about old enough not to be bothered anyway...). If you upsample using HQP then output to DAC at a lower resolution, do you gain from the filtering etc that went into the up sampling? Will it sound better than if left alone? There, I asked!

Hoping this isn't a really stupid question (although I'm just about old enough not to be bothered anyway...). If you upsample using HQP then output to DAC at a lower resolution, do you gain from the filtering etc that went into the up sampling? Will it sound better than if left alone? There, I asked!

What do you mean by lower resolution? Can you give an example case? What is the source resolution and what is the output resolution to the DAC in this case?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I would say this would depend on your system. HQP however offers you complete control of the upsampling/downsampling process. The filters and noise shaping offered is State of the Art. You are the best judge on how it sounds on your setup.

In terms of sound, playback with HQPlayer can make your sound smooth with less glare. Ease of listening for extended sessions.

If "left alone" you are relying on the DAC manufacturers strategy - which may not be a bad thing. It's just that you have no control over it.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

No, it should work. There are some limitations and some things are disabled on 32-bit builds, but most things should work. Since some optimizations are disabled on 32-bit buils, those are slower and thus need somewhat more CPU power for doing the same work. Is your Win7 installation on the same Mac, or is it some other computer?

Thanks Miska, yes it is a bootcamp, I had this 7 Home Basic 32 bit disc. PCM to PCM upsampling ok, DSD reading ok (very good indeed), pcm to dsd stutters.

g.

MacMini 2012 i5 2.3| 4GB |Crucial M4 64 Gb SSD |10.9.1| NorthStar Driver | Optimization Script |HiFace 1| JRiver 19 Mac | Buffalo II DAC | Mastersound 220| Rega Naos

I have all my music ripped from CD's in FLAC bit perfect format. Which filter will be the best for up-scaling the tracks in 24/192? Poly-Sinc, FFT, FIR? CPU and memory are more than sufficient in the system.

Since HQ-Player is up-scaling the tracks, do I need to buy music from HD-Tracks in higher resolution? Will it make a difference?

Anybody who can help answering these questions?

Sorry, I don't have time to make any. And my scripting skills for Windows are limited anyway. Now there's the new Power Shell from Microsoft and I've heard also bash is coming that may help. Or using something like Python.

On Unix-style systems like Linux and Mac OS X I'm better at scripting. There you can use sed or awk for extracting the necessary information from the --get-status output. Python is more universal and available for Windows too.

i was able play the playlist at startup of the computer.

Now how do I add a --Random in a script? I tried just the way I wrote but it did not work. Any advice?

Anybody who can help answering these questions?

Sorry, no one answer to these questions.

filtering, etc.: you have to listen and see what sounds best to you on your setup.

HDtracks: this is like asking is it better to buy the Redbook, 96 or 192 version of the same master. Depends.

I'm upsampling everything to either DSD or 192 with HQP and think it sounds best that way. I still think my best sounding music is the best sounding stuff recorded in hi-res PCM or DSD.

I do think using HQP takes away some of the advantage hi-res remasters have over stuff recorded for CD/LP. In other words, HQP improves the sound, but I don't think it makes hi-res irrelevant.

In the end, your best sounding recordings are going to sound the best, no matter what their format is.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

What do you mean by lower resolution? Can you give an example case? What is the source resolution and what is the output resolution to the DAC in this case?

Thanks Miska, so this is mostly curiosity but this case would be to mRendu to Mutec outputting SPDIF to an older pair of Meridian active speakers who's DAC is limited to 18 bits. So from a file streamed from a NAS to PC running HQPlayer where it is upsampled/filtered then output at playback rate 44.1/48. As I read I'm getting that this restricts the noise shaping/dither options and I'm concluding that perhaps it may but whether it's worthwhile may depend on how good the speakers are as to whether it would be appreciable. I guess I should read more and type less...Its always good to share...(main system is the above setup to Vega and on, this is just to play with older active speakers)

Thanks Miska, so this is mostly curiosity but this case would be to mRendu to Mutec outputting SPDIF to an older pair of Meridian active speakers who's DAC is limited to 18 bits. So from a file streamed from a NAS to PC running HQPlayer where it is upsampled/filtered then output at playback rate 44.1/48.

For those cases you should set "DAC Bits" in HQPlayer to said 18 bit and it is probably best to stick to TPDF or Gaussian dither.

There is still benefit in running through the poly-sinc family of filters (except not poly-sinc-hb), since they provide apodizing function. And possibly you could stick to 48k output rate always, leaving little bit of extra space for the DAC when playing 44.1k sources.

Plus HQPlayer gives you possibility to play hires and DSD sources at best resolution your speakers support (48 kHz 18-bit).

For those cases you should set "DAC Bits" in HQPlayer to said 18 bit and it is probably best to stick to TPDF or Gaussian dither.

There is still benefit in running through the poly-sinc family of filters (except not poly-sinc-hb), since they provide apodizing function. And possibly you could stick to 48k output rate always, leaving little bit of extra space for the DAC when playing 44.1k sources.

Plus HQPlayer gives you possibility to play hires and DSD sources at best resolution your speakers support (48 kHz 18-bit).

What if you have an effective resolution of 18 bits, a Rega dac according Stereophiles measurements? Is it best to keep HQplayer at 24 bit or put it on 18 bit?

Sent from my MI 2 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

What if you have an effective resolution of 18 bits, a Rega dac according Stereophiles measurements? Is it best to keep HQplayer at 24 bit or put it on 18 bit?

If you know the effective resolution, it may be better to use that instead especially when using noise shaping. Best source of information for determining the linear range would be linearity sweep test.

Next release will have more options for the output word length, so every possible value from 8 to 32 bits.

Hi,

My music library is stored on a NAS (ReadyNAS) and HDPlayer is running on my Windows 10 music server (+AO). The share containing my library is mapped on the Z: drive.

I try to add my library by using "Add tree" function and have the following problem:

-If I select the Z: drive (path is Music (\\READYNAS-PRO6) (Z:)), nothing happens, my library is not loaded in HQPlayer

-If I select the music share via Network-->READYNAS-PRO6-->Music (path is Music (\\READYNAS-PRO6)), HQPlayer starts to load the library.

So, my question is why it does not work when I select the mapped network drive?

Thank you !

(in JRiver MC, my library is the Z: drive and all is OK)

Sorry, no one answer to these questions.

filtering, etc.: you have to listen and see what sounds best to you on your setup.

HDtracks: this is like asking is it better to buy the Redbook, 96 or 192 version of the same master. Depends.

I'm upsampling everything to either DSD or 192 with HQP and think it sounds best that way. I still think my best sounding music is the best sounding stuff recorded in hi-res PCM or DSD.

I do think using HQP takes away some of the advantage hi-res remasters have over stuff recorded for CD/LP. In other words, HQP improves the sound, but I don't think it makes hi-res irrelevant.

In the end, your best sounding recordings are going to sound the best, no matter what their format is.

is there a solution to use HQplayer as a soundcard it would be nice to listen some youtube concert with hqplayer doing is DSD512 magic :)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

The newest Qnap may be powerful enough. For me only doing PCM up-sampling, the Qnap I have is good enough I guess. Still I do not know how to be able to install HQPlayer in the Container Station my Qnap. Any help / guide ?

If not headless HQPlayer is on your roadmap, how about a iDevice App ? Or even better for us Roon users, a better integration with the app, so you can change filters/settings direct from Roon. Is it doable ? On your/Roon roadmap ?

Is a Qnap (Qpkg) version more doable than a headless version ? Or does that actually mean you would have to do a headless anyway ?

I have now tried HQPlayer for 11 days. I have some problems that repeats itself all the time.

My Roon server is on my Qnap TS-453-Pro. HQP installed on a HTPC. Using the MicroRendu, with SW 2.2. All on same Linksys switch. All fixed IP, set by my IPCop firewall. I believe my network is good. Using Tidal. Local rips is present at a 2008R2. I only use iPad as control.

When using Roon and the MR, no problem. With HQP in the loop, I loose connection all the time after a while. Can be an hour. Can be more. (Roon states; Lost connection with transport or something).

Solution that seems to work is to choose Apps, HQPlayer in the Sonore meny, and the I have to press restart two times in order get the green text confirming HQPlayer has been restarted.

Then it seems to play in the Roon menu, since these small blue bars are moving, but it does not.

Then I RDT to HQPlayer, and press "Allow control from network" two times. Then I can press play in Roon.

This is oblivious a network communication issue. I have now idea if it is related to HQPlayer, Sonore, or Roon.

Or my hiFace EVO, that shows up in HQP settings.

I have enabled logfile in HQPlayer.

Today I've installed the latest beta. Time will tell if that helps.

Is there anything I could do in order to help you understand what can cause the problem ? Or is this a know issue ?

Miska

I sent you a logfile some time ago. Had time to look at it ?

I'm still losing connection. "Transport: Roon lost connection with the audio device".

Quite often. Less than 2 hours. Now I also have to open settings in HQPlayer and press save in order establish connection. That's after "restart" HQPlayer from MicroRendu.

Time to answer some of my other questions ?

My music library is stored on a NAS (ReadyNAS) and HDPlayer is running on my Windows 10 music server (+AO). The share containing my library is mapped on the Z: drive.

So, my question is why it does not work when I select the mapped network drive?

HQPlayer does not work like that. Think of it more like a CD Transport where you load your music one album (or playlist) at a time. It does not really support loading an entire library of music very well like JRiver. I use JRiver for Library Management and HQP for playback.

About your Tree not loading - one guess is that the first album is not recognized by HQP.

Try loading a few albums from the same drive.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I sent you a logfile some time ago. Had time to look at it ?

I'm still losing connection. "Transport: Roon lost connection with the audio device".

Quite often. Less than 2 hours. Now I also have to open settings in HQPlayer and press save in order establish connection. That's after "restart" HQPlayer from MicroRendu.

Something seems to go wrong and the NAA side, but based on HQPlayer log I don't know what.

You also have volume in HQPlayer turned up too high because you get limiting. Make sure you don't turn it higher than -2 dBFS with -3 dBFS being recommended setting. Keep eye on the "Limited" counter in HQPlayer main window, it should always stay 0.