IGNORED

HQ Player

I have a 2.8MHz / 5.1 channels dsf file and need to down mix to stereo.

I tried to enable the pipeline option as Miska showed in the manual, but no sound.

I'm using HQP 3.14.b5 in OSX and NAA 3.4.0.

Have you disabled "Direct SDM" and checked that you have volume turned to -3 dBFS or other suitable value?

What is your output resolution? You'll need quite a bit of CPU power to do down-mix of DSD to DSD output, possibly with upsampling.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Is it possible HQPlayer cuda offload support for balancing load on multi-GPU PC ?

From technical point of view yes, but I have not yet implemented the load balancing. It has some tricky aspects such as asymmetric GPU configurations when all the GPUs are not the same model and have different performance, etc.

At the moment it just picks the GPU "best suited" for the task and uses it together with CPU.

Is there a good reason why HQP does not release ALSA when the "stop" button is selected? Every other media player that has the capability to bypass Pulse Audio has this ability (gmusicbrowers, guayadeque, deadbeef and Media Center 22). I am wondering why HQP does not.

It is to avoid other applications/processes from stealing the audio device. So that there wouldn't be failures when you try to start playback from HQPlayer. Quite many applications fail at that point, which I find annoying. I prefer to fail early at startup if there's any problem, not when I've already prepared for playback.

Pulse Audio is piece of junk best uninstalled completely from the system... :)

Have you disabled "Direct SDM" and checked that you have volume turned to -3 dBFS or other suitable value?

What is your output resolution? You'll need quite a bit of CPU power to do down-mix of DSD to DSD output, possibly with upsampling.

Hi Miska,

Direct DSM is disabled and vol max is to -3db

About output resolution, I just want to keep 2,8MHz, no upsampling

My CPU is I5-3210M @ 2.5GHz

When I press play, simply nothing happens.

Thanks for your time

Massimo

Miska, my computer is maxing out its CPU load (and I hear audible clicks) when I try to play a native DSD256 file. If I downsample to DSD128 or DSD64, there is a loud hiss that goes with the music.

I have an i7-6700 and I am running 8 channels of convolution. This is why the CPU load is so high. I have turned off as many services as I can to keep the computer running. Task Manager shows that HQP is using 99% of CPU.

I currently am using the poli-sync-2s and DSD7 filters. My questions:

1. What settings do I need to reduce the CPU load?

2. How do I get rid of the hiss when downsampling?

It is already supported through drag-and-drop. I don't see much point in adding a separate menu selection and file open dialog for it. Or is there a specific use case?

I think it would be better to keep the HQP program window fully opened, also need drag and drop making sure you have grabbed the first file, also how would this work with some remote device ? also drag-drop seems does not always work on Win Server in core mode.. my audio files are wav with no meta data so the library management results in an unusable mess....

Miska, my computer is maxing out its CPU load (and I hear audible clicks) when I try to play a native DSD256 file. If I downsample to DSD128 or DSD64, there is a loud hiss that goes with the music.

I have an i7-6700 and I am running 8 channels of convolution. This is why the CPU load is so high. I have turned off as many services as I can to keep the computer running. Task Manager shows that HQP is using 99% of CPU.

I currently am using the poli-sync-2s and DSD7 filters. My questions:

1. What settings do I need to reduce the CPU load?

2. How do I get rid of the hiss when downsampling?

With 8ch calculation you're pushing the boundaries of your system. :)

99% of CPU means you're maxim out! Not good.

Perhaps you can use AO to optimize your PC resources a bit.

Have you enabled Pipeline SDM? You should.

You can try enabling DirectSDM. In this way you stop delta-sigma elaboration for DSD content, but convolution is still possible.

If it works, you will have convolution at native DSD resolution (64, 128, 256) and still retain convolution -> DSD256 for PCM.

The hiss is probably due to your system hitting its limit.

Hi Miska,

I wanna be able to upsample PCM 96khz to DSD512. Are you planning on taking advantage of the virtual cores of the i7 CPU on HQ Player in the future? Or should I get an i5 for my CA server (because I don't see the point of having an i7 if the software can't use the virtual cores) ?

Thanks for clearing that for me,

Dorian

Every once in a while when switching to a new track, HQPlayer hisses like crazy. I actually have to restart HQP to make the hissing stop. It only happens when I upsample PCM to higher rate PCM. Any ideas why this may be happening?

I'm using Roon integration and the microRendu is in NAA mode. DAC is a Chord Mojo.

You're not alone.

The same thing happens to me with a microRendu as NAA/Chord Mojo combination.

To me, the Mojo sounds best when fed 705,600 PCM (from 44.1/88.2/176.4 and DSD sources) and 768,000 PCM (from 48/96/192 sources). So I have Auto rate family checked.

But sometimes when switching to a new track (usually it's a 192 track that causes the problem), I get the hissing/white noise/static sound.

I still have the same issue if I uncheck Auto rate family and upsample everything to 768 (instead of 705.6 for some things and 768 for others).

Instead of quitting HQPlayer, I play a 44.1 track for a few seconds and then try the high res track that caused the static. It usually works after playing the 44.1 track (for some reason).

I have this issue only with the Mojo (and not with other DACs that I have).

It is already supported through drag-and-drop. I don't see much point in adding a separate menu selection and file open dialog for it. Or is there a specific use case?

Ooops sorry Miska.

I don't know it before. It's ok then.

Drag and drop makes me hapyyyyy...

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

You're not alone.

The same thing happens to me with a microRendu as NAA/Chord Mojo combination.

Ugh

To me, the Mojo sounds best when fed 705,600 PCM (from 44.1/88.2/176.4 and DSD sources) and 768,000 PCM (from 48/96/192 sources). So I have Auto rate family checked.

Same here. Which filter do you prefer?

But sometimes when switching to a new track (usually it's a 192 track that causes the problem), I get the hissing/white noise/static sound.

I still have the same issue if I uncheck Auto rate family and upsample everything to 768 (instead of 705.6 for some things and 768 for others).

Instead of quitting HQPlayer, I play a 44.1 track for a few seconds and then try the high res track that caused the static. It usually works after playing the 44.1 track (for some reason).

I have this issue only with the Mojo (and not with other DACs that I have).

Maybe it's an issue with the Mojo not correctly detecting the incoming sample rate. Switching to 44.1 and then back must give the Mojo another chance to set the correct rate. But then again, you've said that it still does this even if you upsample everything to 768. Odd.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hi Miska,

I wanna be able to upsample PCM 96khz to DSD512. Are you planning on taking advantage of the virtual cores of the i7 CPU on HQ Player in the future? Or should I get an i5 for my CA server (because I don't see the point of having an i7 if the software can't use the virtual cores) ?

Thanks for clearing that for me,

Dorian

Those virtual cores (HyperThreading) don't add any processing capacity, only thing it really helps on is making context switching twice as efficient on large/heavy operating systems with lot of active processes/threads. So it is kind of context switch overhead reduction technology. It cannot help directly with HQPlayer type workload, but it has indirect help at the operating system level.

So you don't need to use it as a selection criteria, but instead can focus more on other CPU features/specs.

also drag-drop seems does not always work on Win Server in core mode..

Windows Server versions are not supported, so I'm not going to comment about this. Those are optimized for other types of use cases such as network throughput as a file server and SQL database performance rather than media playback. Desktop versions of Windows are optimized for multimedia use cases.

my audio files are wav with no meta data so the library management results in an unusable mess....

If your content is organized in two layer directory structure with the typical artist/album layout, use can try to use "Structure only" check box when importing the media. Then HQPlayer will use the file system structure as metadata instead.

Miska,

I frequently get the message "Failed to open audio device. Please check settings!" The only solution that I have found so far is to reboot my DAC (Yggy), microrendu, and my computer. Is there a more simple way to regain connection? I am now having the same thing happen on a second system of microrendu>mojo. Thanks,

Cass

I've been going with poly-sinc-short-mp and TPDF with the Mojo.

How about you?

My favorite so far with my Mojo is poly-sinc-mp and TPDF. So we both like minimum phase versions of poly-sync. I have not yet tried the short version. I'll try this next. Thanks!

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I have an i7 4790T. I used to use it running Ubuntu both direct to DAC and as the server in an PC/NAA. As I recall , in both cases HQP had no trouble transcoding RBCD to quad DSD.

I set it up today direct to DAC, this time running Windows 10. RBCD to Quad DSD seems out of the question now and even double DSD stutters occasionally. Pipeline SDM, polysinc 2s, max buffer all engaged.

Is this simply down to differences in load to be expected comparing the 2 operating systems?

Strange thing though is, even with quad DSD, CPU load is showing <60%, much the same as with Ubuntu.

I have an i7 4790T.

I have an i7-3770S and it runs DSD256 without an issues, though I use Server R2 not Win 10. Have you tried adjusting your DAC buffer settings?

Whats a little odd what when I had this pc connected directly to the DAC I would get static and dropouts occasionally. I had to increase the buffer. But when I introduced an NAA I could reduce the buffer to the minimum setting in my server. Seems that the high CPU usage with HQP impacts the USB output in some way?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Was full screen/touch mode for HQPlayer disabled in 3.14b5? Every time, I try to run it I get a blank screen with top left hand corner saying "Signalyst HQPlayer Desktop - registered:" and the right side having the normal option for minimize, maximize or exit. I use my iPad as remote via RDP session. It also does not work via normal RDP session from either a win10 or win8.1 system.

Was full screen/touch mode for HQPlayer disabled in 3.14b5? Every time, I try to run it I get a blank screen with top left hand corner saying "Signalyst HQPlayer Desktop - registered:" and the right side having the normal option for minimize, maximize or exit. I use my iPad as remote via RDP session. It also does not work via normal RDP session from either a win10 or win8.1 system.

Try if it happens also with new 3.14b7

Signalyst - Installing HQPlayer beta