IGNORED

HQ Player

While we are at it... I’d like to be able to select sound input.

What I want to do: connect my AppleTV via optical (since Airplay is not cross platform) to my mini and then select that input in HQP. In this way everything from my mini (movies, music etc) can be channeled through my DSD only dac.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

I saw you use foobar2000 a few posts up to create a kind of wav stream. My question is: is there a way to set a HQPlayer output that creates a wav stream that can then be loaded by another instance of HQPlayer? Thanks!

I don't know. HQPlayer output is device (ASIO or WASAPI).

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
I don't know. HQPlayer output is device (ASIO or WASAPI).

The thing to do would be to use HQPlayer to resample and out to a virtual cable, into an application that can do a wav stream like you have done, and load that stream into a separate HQPlayer that would convolve the signal.

A wav stream program like that could also be used to route audio from optical in to wav stream to HQPlayer...

But I would still want to upsample before applying the convolution, not after. Would it make any difference? I'm not sure.

It would just consume more CPU power for no reason. No benefits.

Would it be a good idea to upsample to 192kHz/32 bit?

Yes, to the highest rate your DAC can take in...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Miska, I too would like to see an input to HQPlayer to allow a virtual cable to be inserted. This is the reason why: in other posts, I have said that I am using HQP to generate my crossovers. With a virtual cable, I will be able to send measurement sweeps from REW or Acourate through HQP to check if the crossovers are working as designed.

The way to do it would be to export measurement sweep to a file, play that file while recording it and import that recording into REW/Acourate for analysis.

Sorry, I meant the convolution WAV. I can do it at 44.1, 96, and with a bit of tweaking 192 kHz with DRC. And 16-32 bits.

OK, I see. It is good idea to have the convolution WAV at highest possible resolution. At least Acourate should be able to generate such with bandwidth expansion even if the measurement itself doesn't go up that high. HQPlayer can also extend the filters up, but it is better if the filter is higher resolution to begin with.

So depends on what you mean by tweaking.

Now the question is what happens if the source format on foobar playlist changes for example from 44.1/16 to 96/24. When that happens, the correct thing would be to add new stream to HQPlayer playlist and HQPlayer will then auto-proceed to that one once the current ends (connection closed). If foobar just drops the connection and expects re-connect to the same stream on format change, you can help the behavior by clicking to "repeat one" button down from the toolbar. That will play the current item in a loop.

It doesn't seem to be possible with foo_upnp. Streaming rate is fixed by configuration.

I described the solution here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/stream-hqplayer-desktop-foobar2000-29676/

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
While we are at it... I’d like to be able to select sound input.

What I want to do: connect my AppleTV via optical (since Airplay is not cross platform) to my mini and then select that input in HQP. In this way everything from my mini (movies, music etc) can be channeled through my DSD only dac.

You might use "Stream what you hear". Might have to fiddle with some virtual cables, not sure... I have VAC installed and sending audio to "Virtual Cable 1" with no cable set up and volume turned down

If you hear double noise turn the playback volume in Windows to zero. Post if you have problems.

How do you acccess the settings screen for the Linux 3.13.3 version on Ubuntu 14.04? I could not find the menu option.

If you are using the normal Ubuntu Desktop version (thus using their Unity desktop GUI), then the menu-bar is at the top of the screen, Mac-style. I am using Ubuntu Studio, so it comes with XFCE desktop and that has the menu bar within the main window.

So depends on the active theme engine...

If you are using the normal Ubuntu Desktop version (thus using their Unity desktop GUI), then the menu-bar is at the top of the screen, Mac-style. I am using Ubuntu Studio, so it comes with XFCE desktop and that has the menu bar within the main window.

So depends on the active theme engine...

Thanks found the menu. Had to hover the mouse over the bar at the top of the screen to see the menu. Can now successfully send tracks from the Windows controller to HQPlayer on Linux. :)

Hi everyone,

New to this thread. Just made the step from Jriver to HQPlayer with the goal to use room correction convolution in native DSD. Very happy with what I have been hearing so far. Congrats to Miska ;)

I have a question in relation to DACs. Mine is limited to DSD128, and probably down-sampling internally to 176.4 for processing. So I will contemplate changing. I have read that there are some users of Merging+Nadac DAC here. Is there a common view that this is the best DAC for making the best out of HQPlayer or are there giant killers which would be worth considering at a lower price ?

I finally have all my gear here and connected. I was not able to get the Singxer SU-1 DCC because it was delayed so I now have like 2 days left on my trial of HQPlayer.

I am very frustrated with HQPlayer. First and foremost I cannot even READ most of the settings because the text is squished together, overlapping and/or truncated. It's like way too much information is jammed in the menu and it is not being rendered and scaled properly with Windows 10.

I'm on Win 10 Pro, i7-6700K with Nvidia GTX 1070 video, 16GB RAM, Samsung SM951 SSD

I would like to change and play with the settings but I cannot even SEE them!!

I have tried both 1080p 60Hz and 2160p on my Samsung 65JS8500

My next step will be upsampling to DSD256 through the Singxer SU-1 to my Gustard X20 via IIS over HDMI which I do not know how to do yet.

I have read that there are some users of Merging+Nadac DAC here. Is there a common view that this is the best DAC for making the best out of HQPlayer or are there giant killers which would be worth considering at a lower price ?

Disclaimer: I have bought a Merging NADAC but I have not yet heard it in my system. I have been told that it will arrive next week or the week after.

The reason why I bought a NADAC was because it is the best DAC that offers 8 channels of conversion, without going to silly money. IF I had the money, I would be using an MSB Theatre 8 DAC, but that costs USD$125,000.

If you only need 2 channels of conversion, and you want to take advantage of HQPlayer's ability to upsample to DSD512, and you don't need the networked audio feature of the NADAC - there is the T+A DAC 8. I believe this sells for about $3500 - cheaper than the NADAC.

Disclaimer: I have bought a Merging NADAC but I have not yet heard it in my system. I have been told that it will arrive next week or the week after.

The reason why I bought a NADAC was because it is the best DAC that offers 8 channels of conversion, without going to silly money. IF I had the money, I would be using an MSB Theatre 8 DAC, but that costs USD$125,000.

If you only need 2 channels of conversion, and you want to take advantage of HQPlayer's ability to upsample to DSD512, and you don't need the networked audio feature of the NADAC - there is the T+A DAC 8. I believe this sells for about $3500 - cheaper than the NADAC.

Thanks Keith for the answer :)

I have read that there are some users of Merging+Nadac DAC here. Is there a common view that this is the best DAC for making the best out of HQPlayer or are there giant killers which would be worth considering at a lower price ?

Depends how many channels you need. For stereo, T+A DAC8 DSD (Windows only)...

I am very frustrated with HQPlayer. First and foremost I cannot even READ most of the settings because the text is squished together, overlapping and/or truncated. It's like way too much information is jammed in the menu and it is not being rendered and scaled properly with Windows 10.

Check that your screen scaling is set to 100% in Settings -> System -> Display.

Check that your screen scaling is set to 100% in Settings -> System -> Display.

Thanks... Because it is a 65" display, scaling was set to 225%. At 100%, things are too small to see from my listening position but at least I can see the settings enough to read them now.

My playlists have mixed FLAC and DSD files.

I want to upsample everything to DSD256.

Can HQPlayer do that and what are the settings to achieve this?

thanks

My playlists have mixed FLAC and DSD files.

I want to upsample everything to DSD256.

Can HQPlayer do that and what are the settings to achieve this?

Yes, uncheck the "Direct SDM" in DSDIFF/DSF Settings dialog. Then in main window select "SDM (DSD)" as output mode and pick up some filter and modulator. You can use either fixed output rate, or automatic (with possible family selection). Check that the rate limits in Settings dialog are set to highest rates supported by your DAC.