IGNORED

HQ Player

19 hours ago, Miska said:

Something there that makes you run out of RAM? Although that usually just freezes Windows. Some memory or power issue is another possibility. Or a driver issue, I had similar issue once when Windows update changed the Windows graphics stack, and Intel graphics driver wasn't automatically updated. Resulted in strange crashes.

Generally, applications shouldn't be able to crash the OS, no matter what. So this is either power, or low level OS issue. Typical consequence from voltage rail sag due to power consumption spike is system reboot.

And the diagnosis was right !

Congratulations !! @Miska 😉 and best wishes for a successful convalescence ! 
After trying to restore the OS, I had the same problem.
Same thing with a usb key running winPE.
I decided to rewire my server with its internal HDPlex Nano AC-DC + HDPlex DC-ATX power supply, replacing the large external HDPlex 400 ATX power supply.
Well... no more problems. 
In fact, when I put my nose over the ATX linear 400w case, the smell was a little suspicious, even though everything seemed to be working... a component at the end of its life?

Anyway, here's what it looks like  :

spacer.png

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

Is it possible to create a very slow (e.g. 3dB/octave) high-pass filter on the Matrix (not that Matrix 😁)?

Edit: if I understand correctly the syntax should be for example iir:type=hp;f=80;q=1 but what's the tilt of Q=1?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 hour ago, semente said:

Is it possible to create a very slow (e.g. 3dB/octave) high-pass filter on the Matrix (not that Matrix 😁)?

Edit: if I understand correctly the syntax should be for example iir:type=hp;f=80;q=1 but what's the tilt of Q=1?

no. HP and LP filters are fixed 12dB/octave. "Q" defines the resonance (not "tilt"), not the steepness of the filters.

You could create a Dirac Impulse and apply a 3dB/octave HP with a dedicated Equalizer and add that to your existing EQ set in the matrix.

BTW: a HP filter at 80Hz with 3dB/octave slope would affect the whole spectrum 20Hz - 20kHz.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

5 hours ago, Kalpesh said:

though I seem the only one at this stage of development, my appreciation of AHM7EC5L @1024 with the MAy

not really 😉

I experience the same sound improvement!

4 hours ago, Apollo said:

a lot of us are waiting on Embedded 5.3 to be able to try it out.

It is already available. 

2 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

no. HP and LP filters are fixed 12dB/octave. "Q" defines the resonance (not "tilt"), not the steepness of the filters.

You could create a Dirac Impulse and apply a 3dB/octave HP with a dedicated Equalizer and add that to your existing EQ set in the matrix.

BTW: a HP filter at 80Hz with 3dB/octave slope would affect the whole spectrum 20Hz - 20kHz.

If Q doesn't affect the tilt why/how is it used in a HP or LP?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

The difference is some 10 - 20 dB. (in practice, the "passband" noise floor is anyway way below what is possible in analog domain

What about the AHM7EC5L modulator? After all, we are talking about DSD1024. Nevertheless, digital volume control is not recommended due to the low SNR. 

How critical is hybrid volume control? At the moment I have set -20dB in the HQPlayer and 60dB in the SDV 3100 HV. This allows me to increase the volume by about 15dB, which is enough for me.

Just now, bogi said:

That's work for analog filter of DAC. If delta sigma modulator (noise shaping) wouldn't be used (like with R2R DACs) then you would get audio band mirror images (spectral replicas) at output. One or the other. Analog filter is always needed as part of audio DAC. This requirement comes from sampling theory. In digital domain you cannot remove mirror images above fs and similarly you cannot remove modulator high frequency noise.

Noise shaping as result of delta sigma modulation does not lower amount of digital noise. It just changes its distribution. The goal is to lower noise in audio band and to shift it to high frequencies, where it can be easily removed even with gentle analog filter.

I'm aware

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

55 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

seem to show that the 512+fs modulator is limited by the 24 bit file itself any any dithering therein.

Yeah, for fun during development I tested that I can get 192/24 file bit-perfect through back and forth conversion. And also for example 48/32 file.

(below 10 kHz, those plots are limited by the test method for super 512+fs)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Now don't mix ASDM and AMSDM... Yes, AMSDM has slightly lower SNR, but it has some other advantages when running certain types of D/A conversion stage electronics, due to the way it operates. AHM has even lower SNR, while it can counter some adverse effects of the conversion stage electronics running at higher speeds.

Now, putting AMSDM modulators aside and talking just about the regular EC modulators, 512+fs modulators have better SNR in audio band than the regular ones, but less bandwidth. This is on purpose, since at DSD512 with regular modulators you have 200 kHz of extremely low noise audio bandwidth. The 512+fs ones meanwhile focus on providing even more dynamic range in <100 kHz region while trading some bandwidth from >100 kHz with gentler noise slope.

So if you are doing DSD512 or more, you can choose between SNR (512+fs modulators) or frequency bandwidth (regular modulators). The difference is some 10 - 20 dB. (in practice, the "passband" noise floor is anyway way below what is possible in analog domain 😀)

What particular DACs would you recommend using AMSDM instead of ASDM?

For example those using Holo Audio or a T+A DAC200, should they go to AMSDM or ASDM?

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

58 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

Originally my DSC1 was target, and some other discrete DAC implementations. This was discussed also at the DIY site back then. The benefits appear primarily on bit-perfect / discrete DACs.

58 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

For example those using Holo Audio or a T+A DAC200, should they go to AMSDM or ASDM?

One can test which one is preferred. AMSDM is one kind of approach to utilise extra bandwidth/rate available at DSD512 and higher.

This is one of the weighting things, which aspects are preferred in particular case and system.

For example on my living room system I'm running DAC200 at DSD512 from ASDM7EC-super 512+fs. And on the same rack Marantz SA-12SE at DSD256 from ASDM7EC-light. My Spring 2 and 3 are running with different modulators from different servers. HA200 is my main development DAC so it runs at varying rates from varying modulators depending on what I'm working on.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, GoldenOne said:

@Miska First, Please continue to keep your well being and health at the forefront!! Hope that you are comfortable in your ongoing recovery.

Would you also please include Denafrips DACS in your recommendations using AMSDM instead of ASDM?

Thanks.