IGNORED

HQ Player

16 hours ago, Miska said:

No need for high sample rate inputs, just 64-bit source at 44.1k input is enough:

modulators.thumb.png.e1286036300f6da3df8388f40b424268.png

You can also compare the 512+fs and the regular one this way.

Thanks for this. The file I was using WAS 64 bit, but I think the issue is that the FFT was factoring in some of the silence from HQP at the start/end of the file.

Usually I use RASA's 'remove digital silence' option but I hadn't considered that this wouldn't function if the source is DSD and therefore digital silence isn't really a thing.

I need to trim the files to cut out the silence and re-check.

Additionally you mentioned I was not using the best filters, which filters would you recommend and how come Sinc-M/Sinc-L would be a limiting factor?

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

On 12/4/2023 at 1:28 PM, Miska said:

modulators.thumb.png.e1286036300f6da3df8388f40b424268.png

From just looking at these measurements, benefit of 512+fs in the audible band appears to be *far* more significant than the minor differences in the ultrasonics. Confused as to why one would ever use regular modulator ... what am I missing?

55 minutes ago, camott said:

From just looking at these measurements, benefit of 512+fs in the audible band appears to be *far* more significant than the minor differences in the ultrasonics. Confused as to why one would ever use regular modulator ... what am I missing?

From Miska a couple of days ago:

Mostly class-D is sensitive to ultrasonic noise, because it works like "ADC". When the input exceeds the switching frequency which is like sampling rate, aliasing down to lower frequencies happens.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 hours ago, camott said:

Maybe I formulated it too strictly but the principle (filter bandwith at given output rate vs source content bandwidth) is explained on the previous page:

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
On 6/15/2023 at 8:36 PM, Strikertango55 said:

NAA output clNetEngine::Execute(): clNetEngine::Disco(): clSocket::SendTo(): sendto(): Unknown error

This is the error msg I'm getting

I get this same error, and then HQPlayer crashes when any audio is played. I do see the NAA device in Output Device Settings-> Device and it is selected. But when I close the Settings window I get this error.

The NAA is a RoPieeeXL device that's in the same WiFi network as my laptop running HQPlayer.

On the same setup, Roon Bridge works fine.

23 minutes ago, Atriya said:

I get this same error, and then HQPlayer crashes when any audio is played. I do see the NAA device in Output Device Settings-> Device and it is selected. But when I close the Settings window I get this error.

The NAA is a RoPieeeXL device that's in the same WiFi network as my laptop running HQPlayer.

On the same setup, Roon Bridge works fine.

Maybe already checked and answered, but have you made the right selection in HQPlayer Configuration:

image.png.1f5e8a93bd4bdd88942dbbbd04aaefd6.png

If your DAC is connected and powered on (and it huld!) , then you get 2 options to choose from.

The one that needs to be selected, is the one with 'DAC' in it.

I while back I asked about possible under 500 Euro upgrades to my Topping D30 DAC. A recommendation for a Cayin RU7 was given, and I acted on that. I received it about a week ago and started playing around with it on DSD256. The sound was very good, much better and less glaring and harsh than the Topping, a natural, organic sound that was very appealing. As I burned it in, it opened up more and more. As it's a mobile DAC, it does need some adapters for home use, but it's definitely excellent value for money.

I would have kept it, but it unexpectedly gave up the ghost one day, no longer powering up when plugging it in. Cayin offered to replace it, but I didn't want to wait that long and, as I now had a taste of what's possible with a better DAC, bought myself a SMSL D300, delivered next day. That  one is even better, not surprising as it costs almost twice as much. It has a smooth, almost analog sound, no harsh highs, great mids and the cleanest bass I've experienced so far. I might still get another RU7 for mobile use though, as it made a very good impression. 

So, after that bit of sharing of my experiences, I do have a question and it's about 48k-based DSD. I don't have a top level PC and I like the sinc-short/medium/long filters the best. They sound the most natural and have the greatest micro-details. But because my Topping couldn't run 48k DSD, I couldn't run any of these filters with 96k and 192k material. I took a chance with the RU7 and it did support it. I read ( I think it was Bogi?) that the D300 supports 48k DSD, so I was looking forward to using those better filters with my hi-res files.

However, my experience is that of these 3 DACs only the RU7 genuinely plays 48k DSD on my system. Both the Topping and the SMSL play it, but at a slightly lower speed, presumably at 11290 in stead of at 12288 MHz. With some music you hardly notice it, but with most music, my ears can't bear it for long. It just sounds off. (HQP shows the right rate BTW (12288) but of course all 3 DACs do not, as one would expect) I've not seen any mention of this phenomenon online. What could be the cause of it? Could it be the Rpi NAA? Anyone else have this experience? I've seen it mentioned that the Topping should be switched to 48k based PCM first, and then to DSD. I've tried that with both DACs but it doesn't make a difference. Any thoughts? 

4 hours ago, Apollo said:

Maybe already checked and answered, but have you made the right selection in HQPlayer Configuration:

image.png.1f5e8a93bd4bdd88942dbbbd04aaefd6.png

If your DAC is connected and powered on (and it huld!) , then you get 2 options to choose from.

The one that needs to be selected, is the one with 'DAC' in it.

No, I see only one option for Device, but it shows the correct information (correct name of NAA machine, and the device connected to it via USB).

6 hours ago, satshanti said:

I've seen it mentioned that the Topping should be switched to 48k based PCM first, and then to DSD. I've tried that with both DACs but it doesn't make a difference. Any thoughts?

That trick worked for me with the oldest Topping E30, but I don't own it already 2 years. That time I wrote and used a script for that switching, one click on taskbar icon made the switch .

On Topping E50 switching to/from 48k based DSD rates works without issues (and not only my unit, confirmed on Slovak hifi forum).

But experiences may vary from model to model and firmware versions may influence it too.
On SMSL D300 like I mentioned above and just described in D300 thread I experienced no issues with 48k based DSD in my setup.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Hi guys, 

Kinda unusual question here, but I guess can gain more attention in this topic than in Immersive Audio, anyway Chris can move it if it's OT here... 

Can anyone share their Matrix settings for HQP 2 channel downmix of the new wonderful Peter Gabriel Dolby Atmos TrueHD BD release ie Inside-Mix? 

Thanks in advance and sorry again if wrong thread here for this) 

1 hour ago, bogi said:

This is for 5.1 to stereo suggested by Miska:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/?do=findComment&comment=585860

downmix-matrix.png

For 7.1 I don't remember to see HQPlayer matrix pipeline setup, but you could create it using dB values from this table:

obrzok.png.105cb9a0a916b26931eda6a5bb9a3d3b.png

Thanks so much, but doing from second table seems to be the hard tusk for me, since I can't get right config for 7.1 from 12.1 channel layout...

Maybe someone can advise me further, thanks in anvance) 

12 hours ago, skipspence said:

Thanks so much, but doing from second table seems to be the hard tusk for me, since I can't get right config for 7.1 from 12.1 channel layout...

That table posted by @bogi looks like 12.1 to stereo settings. Although it looks a bit strange and not normalized gain. But you can try that one as well, maybe as a different profile.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

25 minutes ago, timeslip said:

Did something change in the last 2w with HQP 4 or 5?  I am running it on my mac mini m1 to a holo red via NAA and I suddenly get stutters.

Not really. Especially for v4. Have you tried with local playback to figure out whether it is CPU load issue or a network issue?

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

Not really. Especially for v4. Have you tried with local playback to figure out whether it is CPU load issue or a network issue?

I will have to reconfigure another machine to test.  I haven't made any changes other than macos updates on the m1 mac.  I was playing around with the settings and now I get the error message "requested filter not possible with this rate combination 44100 / 1536000, stop"

16 minutes ago, timeslip said:

I will have to reconfigure another machine to test.  I haven't made any changes other than macos updates on the m1 mac.  I was playing around with the settings and now I get the error message "requested filter not possible with this rate combination 44100 / 1536000, stop"

You are asking for fixed 1.536M output rate (48k family), but the filter you have selected cannot convert between rate families.

2 minutes ago, timeslip said:

What setting did I mess up for this in trying to fix the stutter issue?

That error message is due to change in filter. But I suspect the issue may be that you get higher load because of the fixed output rate request? Does the situation change if you enable "Adaptive output rate" and use the filter you've used before?