IGNORED

HQ Player

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

At DSD512 vs 1.5M PCM the difference becomes smaller, but is still there.

That's from digital processing (HQPlayer) point of view.
Difference between PCM and DSD conversion stages in Cyan 2 may also affect resulting audio quality.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Finally decided to purchase HQ Player after trying the Desktop4 version for awhile. So I uninstalled it from my Mac mini M2 and downloaded the new Desktop 5 version. But every time I attempt to launch it I get an error saying HQ Player quit unexpectedly! I have not been able to get it to open since downloading it so that I can activate the license.

1 hour ago, Leduc said:

Finally decided to purchase HQ Player after trying the Desktop4 version for awhile. So I uninstalled it from my Mac mini M2 and downloaded the new Desktop 5 version. But every time I attempt to launch it I get an error saying HQ Player quit unexpectedly! I have not been able to get it to open since downloading it so that I can activate the license.

Halo.

That bug was happening on Macs a while back. May I suggest uninstall and reinstall and reboot if you have not. 

Headgear: Audeze LCD-5 w/Accurate Sound Convolution Filter, Norne Drausk v2 Lite/Silver Gladiator Cable and interconnects

Source: Intel 14900K/3090, HQ Player DSD1024 separated from Puritan 156, Audioquest Carbon USB, Holo Audio Red, Holo Audio May KTE

Amp: Holo Audio Bliss KTE

Sold: Drop HD 6XX, Hypex NC400 Dual Monoblocks, Schiit Freya S, Gustard R26, Audeze LCD-i4, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, DCA Expanse, Gustard U18, B&O Beoplay EX, Gustard X26 Pro, Headamp GS-X Mini, ifi Pro iCan Signature, Fiio M15, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen.)

33 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

how do you switch modulators et all on the fly?

You may use HQPlayer client.

Headgear: Audeze LCD-5 w/Accurate Sound Convolution Filter, Norne Drausk v2 Lite/Silver Gladiator Cable and interconnects

Source: Intel 14900K/3090, HQ Player DSD1024 separated from Puritan 156, Audioquest Carbon USB, Holo Audio Red, Holo Audio May KTE

Amp: Holo Audio Bliss KTE

Sold: Drop HD 6XX, Hypex NC400 Dual Monoblocks, Schiit Freya S, Gustard R26, Audeze LCD-i4, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, DCA Expanse, Gustard U18, B&O Beoplay EX, Gustard X26 Pro, Headamp GS-X Mini, ifi Pro iCan Signature, Fiio M15, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen.)

40 minutes ago, EMINENT said:

I deleted the original install and downloaded it again. Same result, now the icon for HQ Player appears for a second on the menu bar at the bottom and then vanishes without even the "quit unexpectedly message!

Halo.

That bug was happening on Macs a while back. May I suggest uninstall and reinstall and reboot if you have not. 

5 hours ago, Leduc said:

Perhaps the developer can chime in as to what my options are to get this software to load?

First, before doing anything else, please check that you have downloaded and installed native arm64 version of HQPlayer. If you have accidentally installed x64 build which is for Intel silicon Mac's, it won't work and will crash with illegal instruction exception.

If you have correct arm64 build installed but it still doesn't start, in Finder use "Go to Folder..." menu option and put "~/.hqplayer" there as a path. Then move out all files from there to some other location and try to start HQPlayer again. This will reset back to default settings and empty library.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks for that Miska. The arm version download launched and works fine. I originally downloaded what I thought was the "regular Mac OS version" as I didn't know what the arm version was for. I knew there was going to be a bit of a learning curve with this software...but I didn't think it would start with the download! Lol.  Now if I can just figure out how to get Apple Music to play through it? I searched this Forum and saw something about a work-around called Black Hole? Just by the sound of the name I'm a little wary of diving into that! Sorry for all the questions from this Newb poking around in the dark. 

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

LosslessSwitcher, at the moment it is still a pre-release build you can find here

I like that software based solution is being developed. It would be nice if the polling loop approach could be substituted by some event handler. But then ... what could/should send an event on rate changes?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
2 minutes ago, bogi said:

I like that software based solution is being developed. It would be nice if the polling loop approach could be substituted by some event handler. But then ... what could/should send an event on rate changes?

Preferably CoreAudio, but it doesn't. So it needs such complex hacks to work around the issue. On Windows, WASAPI has exactly same design issues.

Both architectures assume that the application doing audio input is the one who defines the sampling rate to be used. Not some unknown external entity (hardware or another application).

I (topping e50) and a friend (singxer su6 to Holo may)  are having an issue with windows hqp 5,1.3 and roon.  when trying to set sdm (dsd) output hqp keeps reverting to pcm playback. I finally resolved the issue by setting the input to 'none' although when I looked at it after a save it had returned to 'dop'.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

29 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

I (topping e50) and a friend (singxer su6 to Holo may)  are having an issue with windows hqp 5,1.3 and roon.  when trying to set sdm (dsd) output hqp keeps reverting to pcm playback. I finally resolved the issue by setting the input to 'none' although when I looked at it after a save it had returned to 'dop'.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Did you remember to disable the DAC in Roon Settings -> Audio as documented here in the last bullet point?

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/hqplayer

(having the DAC enabled in Roon is common reason for this kind of problem)

If you are not using the input feature, set the input backend to "[none]".

On 12/16/2023 at 12:17 PM, Triplefun said:

Although I don't use Roon, I have had this occur too and the solution was to uninstall then  reinstall the DAC of DDI  USB Audio (ASIO) driver. The issue may arise after a Windows update following which the ASIO driver is not recognized, but uninstall / reinstall corrects it.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

9 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Although I don't use Roon, I have had this occur too and the solution was to uninstall then  reinstall the DAC of DDI  USB Audio (ASIO) driver. The issue may arise after a Windows update following which the ASIO driver is not recognized, but uninstall / reinstall corrects it.

Also any Thesycon sourced DAC driver (about 90% of all drivers) will behave such way if two applications are accessing the ASIO driver simultaneously. Roon will try to access it if the DAC is enabled in Roon Settings -> Audio.

ASIO is supposed to be exclusive access only, but the Thesycon's ASIO driver is not completely so. In normal cases, once one application loads the driver, it should disappear from other applications.

On 3/10/2021 at 12:44 PM, Miska said:

Those Load/Save/Delete buttons are used to manage matrix profiles on the entry/drop-list on the left of the buttons (and are selectable through player control applications like HQPlayer Client).

Hi @Miska, as I am playing around with EQ, I don't know when HQPlayer reads an updated version of the text file. Do I need to keep "browsing" and adding the file or does it re-read the contents automatically with each new song? Or do I have to "Load" through the client? Could you please let me know when exactly the file gets re-read? 

52 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

Hi @Miska, as I am playing around with EQ, I don't know when HQPlayer reads an updated version of the text file. Do I need to keep "browsing" and adding the file or does it re-read the contents automatically with each new song? Or do I have to "Load" through the client? Could you please let me know when exactly the file gets re-read? 

Generally, it is read at least when starting playback from stopped state (not idling).

...so no need to touch the matrix configuration if you modify those .txt files or convolution .wav's. (note that this applies to HQPlayer Desktop)

Just some itching powder ? (I change settings a lot ; don't we all?) I have been much focused on tonal balance as of lately 

(

) and nowadays I tend to listen to PCM sources at 352.8/384 (768 for 192 sources)/NS5 with my Holo May though I know it might be considered a misuse of HQP and that focusing on details, snap, content of "silence", even snapshots/cues of the real thing I dig the SDM recommendation ; but as a whole I feel more comfortable with the PCM route, crank volume a bit more, prefer the imaging.

At least to my ears, SDM vs PCM and different upsampling rates yield different tonal balances. So, could there be a rational in that mastering is (usually/often) rather done at PCM 384 than at DSD 512 ?

23 hours ago, Miska said:

Generally, it is read at least when starting playback from stopped state (not idling).

...so no need to touch the matrix configuration if you modify those .txt files or convolution .wav's. (note that this applies to HQPlayer Desktop)

great! That worked. It also reloads when I reselect it in the client. The switching is so fast that I will never the Roon EQ again because it is wayyyy to slow in comparison. I have also now created a txt file for all of my headphones and added new profiles for each that are just Preamp of 0db for when I get around to it so I never have to touch the pipeline setup again. This is great!