IGNORED

Router and Ethernet Switch suggestions

pulled this morning my trusty, good, old 10/100 PaulPang switch from the chain

was good 'till I only had a NAS and Mac mini plugged into it but since I started using Roon and an Aries as endpoint... it wasn't holding up anymore :(

replaced, for the moment, with a plain vanilla Netgear GS105E gigabit but, even though I'm powering it from a good LPS (as everything else)... must confess I'm feeling "a bit nervous" LOL!

so while leaving everything the way it is... I'm looking around ;)

Paul Pang now makes a gigabit switch and I've also seen this one by Jcat which looks the same as the AQVox

re the Jcat vs AQVox it's not about price, just... so far my "don't buy from companies which go a long length about describing how their stuff does sound but say almost nothing about how it is made and why" has always proven right [emoji14] and both AQVox and Jcat's "technical description" look exactly the same

Paul Pang too now says quite a little about his mods plus... the switch he is using looks an old and discontinued model :rolleyes:

oh, and... all of the above are 8 ports but 5 is more than enough for my needs (and available space)

more ideas/suggestions?

Funny! I thought I was crazy when I ordered a second D-Link DSG-105 switch to experiment with a battery powered daisy-chain...until I saw this on the link you shared to Paul Pang's website.

mmexport1484948774973.jpg

My wacky experiment suddenly turned into plain vanilla! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Funny! I thought I was crazy when I ordered a second D-Link DSG-105 switch to experiment with a battery powered daisy-chain...until I saw this on the link you shared to Paul Pang's website.

[ATTACH]33752[/ATTACH]

My wacky experiment suddenly turned into plain vanilla! 

I'm doing something similar here (but with just one PPA switch: the one connecting "audio devices") plus optical isolation between the two switches ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I'm doing something similar here (but with just one PPA switch: the one connecting "audio devices") plus optical isolation between the two switches ;)

Since I have a pair of FMCs with 10m fiber-optical cable collecting dust it have actually crossed my mind to do something similar. That would however mean 4 battery packs in the chain in my case (2 for the switches + 2 for the FMCs), so I have decided to leave that idea in the freezer! ?

BTW. I strongly recommend you'll try to ground the switch. I connected mine to my Entreq Minimus and was amazed by the SQ jump.

🎛️  Audio System  

pulled this morning my trusty, good, old 10/100 PaulPang switch from the chain

was good 'till I only had a NAS and Mac mini plugged into it but since I started using Roon and an Aries as endpoint... it wasn't holding up anymore :(

replaced, for the moment, with a plain vanilla Netgear GS105E gigabit but, even though I'm powering it from a good LPS (as everything else)... must confess I'm feeling "a bit nervous" LOL!

so while leaving everything the way it is... I'm looking around ;)

Paul Pang now makes a gigabit switch and I've also seen this one by Jcat which looks the same as the AQVox

re the Jcat vs AQVox it's not about price, just... so far my "don't buy from companies which go a long length about describing how their stuff does sound but say almost nothing about how it is made and why" has always proven right :P and both AQVox and Jcat's "technical description" look exactly the same

Paul Pang too now says quite a little about his mods plus... the switch he is using looks an old and discontinued model :rolleyes:

oh, and... all of the above are 8 ports but 5 is more than enough for my needs (and available space)

more ideas/suggestions?

A great post. It does beg the question, does anyone know how the AQVox & Jcat switch compare? They do look similar, although the Jcat is half the price. Maybe the Paul Pang is still the switch of choice. Has anyone got any hard facts or insight here?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I have experimented with these things continuously since I went from CD playback to a Slim Devices Transporter 10 years ago.

At no time since then have I ever found wireless anywhere near acceptable in terms of stability or SQ.

A few months ago, I invested in TP-Link fiberoptics, based on high praise here and elsewhere. It didn't take long to discover that the SQ was markedly inferior to wire.

I have had positive experiences with the Aqvox 5V wall wart and USB cables, so after the Hifi Statement review, I decided to take a chance. The switch appears to build on Paul Pang's work and I have had great results with several of his products.

Al Jones

Have you got the Aqvox yet ?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

For reasons unknown, the Danish postal service managed to overshoot Århus, Denmark, by over 800 km and send the parcel to a transit station in Stockholm, Sweden.

The Aqvox switch arrived today. I will set it up tomorrow, play with it a few days and report back.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

ok, two days after pulling that PaulPang 10/100 switch and... I can't really say I'm missing something

(even though I'm still nervous about using a "non audiophile" switch LOL!)

It's a long time since I started powering the switch itself (plus all the stuff it is connecting) from some (good to truly great) LPSs

back then, when I did, I "thought" there was indeed an improvement and a greater one than going, afterwards, from a "non audiophile" switch to the Paul Pang so... :-|

think I'll keep (... for a while :P ) everything as it now is and try, instead, powering also the FMC and switch north of the "audio zone" ones from better PS. Don't think it is worth going LPS there too: maybe... just try iFi iPower?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

ok, two days after pulling that PaulPang 10/100 switch and... I can't really say I'm missing something

It's a long time since I started powering the switch itself (plus all the stuff it is connecting) from some (good to truly great) LPSs

back then, when I did, I "thought" there was indeed an improvement and a greater one than going, afterwards, from a "non audiophile" switch to the Paul Pang so... :-|

think I'll keep (... for a while :P ) everything as it now is and try, instead, powering also the FMC and switch north of the "audio zone" ones from better PS. Don't think it is worth going LPS there too: maybe... just try iFi iPower?

IME you should strive to connect the switch to something that is galvanicly isolated from the ac mains. No need for it to be an expensive solution with ultra low noise like a fancy LPSU or various Ultracap supplies. A galvanicly isolated lab psu, a battery pack disconnected from ac mains or the original SMPS plugged into a isolation transformer with floating secondary (ex. B&K 1604A) will do the trick. Also, if the switch have a GND screw in the back of the unit add a simple copper or silver plated wire between it and a free ac ground receptacle. If you own a grounding box it will be even better. Give it a try! I think you will be quite surpriced by the sq results with a plain vanilla switch! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

hhhhmmmm... I'm keeping all the grounding (and properly phasing) voodoo :P for when, some years from now, I'll hopefully move to the countryside and set up a "controlled" music room taking care, from the ground up, also of all the wiring/grounding stuff ;)

In this building where I have no idea what others might be doing with their grounds... =:-|

(already using isolation transformers for pre and power amplifier. plus the LPSs for everything else)

If was to spend $1000 on a grounding box... I'm sure a microRendu + LPS-1 for my secondary (headphones) system would bring a much greater SQ improvement ;)

And I'm already pretty happy with the main (speakers) one :-)

headphones system:

hhhhmmmm... I'm keeping all the grounding (and properly phasing) voodoo :P for when, some years from now, I'll hopefully move to the countryside and set up a "controlled" music room taking care, from the ground up, also of all the wiring/grounding stuff ;)

In this building where I have no idea what others might be doing with their grounds... =:-|

(already using isolation transformers for pre and power amplifier. plus the LPSs for everything else)

If was to spend $1000 on a grounding box... I'm sure a microRendu + LPS-1 for my secondary (headphones) system would bring a much greater SQ improvement ;)

And I'm already pretty happy with the main (speakers) one :-)

No need to buy a grounding box for the switch experiment. Just run a wire from the switch GND screw to a unused ground recepctacle in the wall ac outlet and connect the switch SMPS to the isolation transformer you already own. Easy to to and undo.

If you like the result and wish to see what a grounding box might do you can buy this one for under USD100.- Aucharm Audio Grounding Box with Crocodile lip Ground Wire | eBay when available again! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

Hearing things

Here are my first impressions of the Aqvox AQ-Switch-8 (modded D-Link DGS-108) with 100 hours on it. I strongly suspect that the switch hasn't yet reached its peak, but only time will tell.

I installed the Aqvox switch as close as possible to my modem/router in the basement with only the following connections:

1m Argento silver interconnect from grounding screw to Entreq Minimus grounding box

25cm Meicord LAN from input 1 to Sonic Transporter

25cm Meicord LAN from input 7 to modem/router for Tidal access

5m Meicord LAN from input 8 to LAN wall panel

From wall panel (upstairs) 3m Meicord LAN to Etalon Ethernet Isolator - 0.5m Meicord LAN to Microrendu (LPSU-1) - Sbooster Vbus2 - 15cm Elijah USB cable with 5V DC injector (LPSU-1) - Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 DAC/ room correction/pre/power/active crossover.

Haven't tried plugging in non-audio components, since I have other switches for that.

Experimented with/without grounding box. Definitely staying in. Tried various PS, including LPSU-1, Keces, Sbooster. Nothing improved on the Aqvox modified D-Link PS.

The effect of the switch is far from subtle, if not quite earth-shattering. Whether it is worth the money is strictly a personal choice, but I know I'm not parting with mine.

Sonically, things are tighter, more solid, with more space between voices and instruments and a clearer rendering of low-level detail. Fadeouts last longer. The slight intake of breath just before a singer bears down is more clearly discernible. Audience noise on live recordings is more distinct and separate.

High female voices (most of the ladies on Blue Coast DSD) bloom with greater ease and naturalness.

I can crank things up louder with no stress or strain.

In general, CD tracks are now closer to the purity and sweeter tonality of Hirez.

I won't pretend to have any kind of plausible explanation as to why this should be. I'm just going to kick back and spend the foreseeable future rediscovering my music, beginning with every live recording in my collection.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Hearing things

Here are my first impressions of the Aqvox AQ-Switch-8 (modded D-Link DGS-108) with 100 hours on it. I strongly suspect that the switch hasn't yet reached its peak, but only time will tell.

I installed the Aqvox switch as close as possible to my modem/router in the basement with only the following connections:

1m Argento silver interconnect from grounding screw to Entreq Minimus grounding box

From wall panel (upstairs) 3m Meicord LAN to Etalon Ethernet Isolator - 0.5m Meicord LAN to Microrendu (LPSU-1) - Sbooster Vbus2 - 15cm Elijah USB cable with 5V DC injector (LPSU-1) - Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 DAC/ room correction/pre/power/active crossover.

Haven't tried plugging in non-audio components, since I have other switches for that.

Experimented with/without grounding box. Definitely staying in. Tried various PS, including LPSU-1, Keces, Sbooster. Nothing improved on the Aqvox modified D-Link PS.

The effect of the switch is far from subtle, if not quite earth-shattering. Whether it is worth the money is strictly a personal choice, but I know I'm not parting with mine.

Sonically, things are tighter, more solid, with more space between voices and instruments and a clearer rendering of low-level detail. Fadeouts last longer. The slight intake of breath just before a singer bears down is more clearly discernible. Audience noise on live recordings is more distinct and separate.

High female voices (most of the ladies on Blue Coast DSD) bloom with greater ease and naturalness.

In general, CD tracks are now closer to the purity and sweeter tonality of Hirez.

I won't pretend to have any kind of plausible explanation as to why this should be. I'm just going to kick back and spend the foreseeable future rediscovering my music, beginning with every live recording in my collection.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I am very excited now and can't wait to receive mine. It should be here in another week or 10 days

Hearing things

Thanks for your impressions. Mine is also on the way.

Steve Plaskin

• 1 month later...

had the very same impressions as you when i switched (pun intended) from a plain Netgear gigabit switch to PaulPang's 10/100 one (now discontinued). only difference is... that one was "just" €150 shipped ;)

headphones system:

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

The question becomes: If you can play back without any Ethernet connection what does the switch have to do with the SQ?

Logically, nothing whatsoever.  I'm wondering if the switch might afford some benefit with respect to reducing noise / EMI, but the 'reclclocking' aspects leave me somewhat baffled.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

8 minutes ago, Confused said:

Logically, nothing whatsoever.  I'm wondering if the switch might afford some benefit with respect to reducing noise / EMI, but the 'reclclocking' aspects leave me somewhat baffled.

Noise floor can be easily measured. It's trivial actually. The switch isn't re-clocking it's simply using something like a 25.000000 Mhz clock vs a 25.0000 clock. It's clock is just MORE 25Mhz :-)

The other consideration is that the NIC in the computer is still 25.0000 and since the endpoints need to synch they can't do any better than the clock with the fewest zeros. 

On 3/9/2017 at 8:51 AM, pl_svn said:

Nervous? As in audiophilia nervosa? Or is this a metaphor for a sound signature?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

15 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Nervous? As in audiophilia nervosa? Or is this a metaphor for a sound signature?

totally forgot about that xD

still on a plain non audiophile switch since and... (attached image ;) )

definitely was just audiophilia nervosa

Buddha.jpg

headphones system:

20 hours ago, plissken said:

Noise floor can be easily measured. It's trivial actually.

To be honest, I'd love to measure the noise floor for the Aqvox.  The trouble is it is not trivial for me, I do not have any test kit.

1 hour ago, Confused said:

To be honest, I'd love to measure the noise floor for the Aqvox.  The trouble is it is not trivial for me, I do not have any test kit.

You only need your ear. With one switch, and no music playing, start to turn up the volume. You may or may not get tweeter hiss. Now if you have the volume turned up and you change out the switch and nothing has changed. Then nothing has changed. 

2 hours ago, Confused said:

Do not forget to try to ground the AQVOX switch. Atleast two whom I know about have said it improved the sq on their AQVOX switches. I am expecting my AQVOX to arrive in a couple of days time and will surely ground it right away. My current plain vanilla D-Link DGS-105 switch improved vastly by external grounding. A floating ac ground connection is another thing that almost any network devices improves upon IME. Just a couple of friendly tips! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

Do not forget to try to ground the AQVOX switch. Atleast two whom I know about have said it improved the sq on their AQVOX switches. I am expecting my AQVOX to arrive in a couple of days time and will surely ground it right away. My current plain vanilla D-Link DGS-105 switch improved vastly by external grounding. A floating ac ground connection is another thing that almost any network devices improves upon IME. Just a couple of friendly tips! ;)

An interesting point.  For the record, my earlier observations re the Aqvox were made with it NOT connected to ground.  When I get a bit of time I'll make up a ground cable, give this a try, and report back.