IGNORED

Lampizator questions

I like using a separate preamp with non digital volume. But I wish my Big 7 had volume control for those times I think thats better.

If I'm not mistaken the Big7 is supposed to have a pretty good analogue preamp in it. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has actually tested and compared it to very good standalone preamps.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

If I'm not mistaken the Big7 is supposed to have a pretty good analogue preamp in it. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has actually tested and compared it to very good standalone preamps.

yeah thats what people say. I'm not sure all the inner workings and what would make it analog but its the digital volume that throws me off. Like i said I wish mine had it because I'd use it but probably use it. But still hold on to my separate unit. If i was ordering new or upgrading something i'll probably have it added on.

yeah thats what people say. I'm not sure all the inner workings and what would make it analog but its the digital volume that throws me off. Like i said I wish mine had it because I'd use it but probably use it. But still hold on to my separate unit. If i was ordering new or upgrading something i'll probably have it added on.

I was not aware that the volume control was digital. I thought that it was an analogue pre that, therefore, the volume control would also be analogue.

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

I have had a Jadis JPL in my system and have also compared it to a Shindo pre (second from the top of the line), and Krell EVO 202. Observations were that we didn't need the Krell. in the systems with the Jadis and the Shindo, it was faster and cleaner without those preamps in the system, but adding the preamps added a weight to the sound a coloration that we preferred.

I like using a separate preamp with non digital volume. But I wish my Big 7 had volume control for those times I think thats better.

The tube "preamp" function in the B7 is analog step ladder resistor with only 2 resistors ever in the pathway. Its choke regulated and has lots of quality parts, so will take a very special external preamp to beat it, given its tight integration in the Dac.

I'm one of those persons who moved from Lampi L4 to Lampi L7 (two box). Here's couple of observation I've to add

1) DO NOT get rid of the Lampi PCM. It is very very good. I'm using the best PCM to DSD filters (HQPlayer) on my tricked out i7 dedicated music server. Even though PCM converted to DSD sounds sublime playing through Lampi, there are some music that sounds better upsampled within PCM domain. Sometimes, upsampling to DSD makes the sound smooth and mellow at the cost of reduced dynamics and shrinking of sound stage and openness. Of course, this highly depends on what you are trying to upsample. Most of the time it DSD upsampling sounds great if you are using HQP. However, given how awesome Lampi PCM is you don't want to miss that out for just $800.

2) I use the analog active volume control of my L7. I do not have a preamp anymore. I used to have a ModWright LS100 but I didn't do direct comparison as I sold it before getting my Lamp L7. However, I'm certain that my L7 volume control is better than LS100. And LS100 is one of the best preamp in its price class. I've heard extensive feedback from people who have ditched their preamp in favor of Lampi VC. Examples include: TRL Dude. Coincident statement, Melody pure black, Herron etc

So glad to hear that. Did you add the 128 or the 256?

The 128

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Shahed, this guy with a GG Dac agrees with you about PCM:

Jan 2013

London, UK

With great sadness I had to return the Golden Gate Dac to Mark Coles of Sablon Audio and wanted to thank him for the extended loan of the unit.

Why sadness? Because I had no idea how large a leap forward in musical communication the GG could bring, with a little attention to the details.

My initial reservations about its PCM qualities compared to the Audio Aero LaFontaine have been blown out of the water with the addition of the best power cord I have ever heard. The new Sablon Audio Reserva. Without a doubt this cord improved my LaFontaine but did much more for the Golden Gate bringing out all the detail and ambience but more importantly the LIFE of the performance. The gap between AA and GG was now substantial. How can I now go back to the AA and be happy?

Surprisingly, the DSD performance, already at an incredible level prior to the power cord introduction, gained further presence, and ambient detail but the PCM was now much closer to it than ever before. Why PCM is improved to a greater degree than DSD I don't know. I'm sure Mr. 'Sablon' knows.

This Golden Gate had EML solid plate 45s and EML 5u4G as standard. I tried a GZ34 but this reduced the soundstage, dynamics and detail making for a boring sound. The solid plates I know are dynamic champions with plenty of detail but would have liked to hear the mesh plates with a 274b driver. I believe this would have been the ultimate combination in the context of my system. I'm guessing a 101d would be too detailed in my system. The Duo Omega are revealing speakers.

So, the combination of GG, Sablon Reserva power cord and Sablon Panatela USB are as we say in the UK, the dogs b....ks. One heavenly combination.

I now need to fundamentally re-evaluate my system after hearing what the GG can do with both PCM and DSD after paying attention to power cord and tube rolling.

This is the biggest leap forward in sonic performance I've ever witnessed in my 40 yrs of listening. Congratulations to Lukasz and to Mark for phenomenal products.

Ps. Musical selections ranged across, singer songwriter, jazz, classical, rock and electronic/dance. Everything was handled superbly from my Auralic Aries with HD.

Ppss. Bonzo, you have to hear your B7 with the Reserva.

I have had a Jadis JPL in my system and have also compared it to a Shindo pre (second from the top of the line), and Krell EVO 202. Observations were that we didn't need the Krell. in the systems with the Jadis and the Shindo, it was faster and cleaner without those preamps in the system, but adding the preamps added a weight to the sound a coloration that we preferred.

Thank you, bonzo.

I'm one of those persons who moved from Lampi L4 to Lampi L7 (two box). Here's couple of observation I've to add

2) I use the analog active volume control of my L7. I do not have a preamp anymore. I used to have a ModWright LS100 but I didn't do direct comparison as I sold it before getting my Lamp L7. However, I'm certain that my L7 volume control is better than LS100. And LS100 is one of the best preamp in its price class. I've heard extensive feedback from people who have ditched their preamp in favor of Lampi VC. Examples include: TRL Dude. Coincident statement, Melody pure black, Herron etc

Thank you, shahed99

Shahed, this guy with a GG Dac agrees with you about PCM:

Wisnon,

I was considering the LaFontaine, since I like what the Prima DAC (the DAC of the Capitole) brings to the table, but the fact that Audio Aero is gone and with their normal hardware troubles I'm not inclined to risk that much. It was looking for alternatives that I found out about the Lampizator, since I'm trying to get some tubes in the chain without losing detail or neutrality. A recent encounter with an all-tube setup (from Raven Audio) is still messing with me (and it's been a while), so I thought that a possible upgrade in DAC with a tube and good preamp (just to see if my Diablo's preamp can be bettered) could be in order. OTOH, I have a very good DAC already and definitely don't have the know-how for tube-rolling and won't buy blind. Lampis are hard to come by here in Texas to get an idea of the house sound and pros/cons.

I started to use my Big 7 today an I am having an issue. No DSD sound. Tried with Aurender N100 and MacBook pro with Audirvana Plus.

The front button (DSD) is pressed.

Any idea what might be going on?

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

Wisnon,

I was considering the LaFontaine, since I like what the Prima DAC (the DAC of the Capitole) brings to the table, but the fact that Audio Aero is gone and with their normal hardware troubles I'm not inclined to risk that much. It was looking for alternatives that I found out about the Lampizator, since I'm trying to get some tubes in the chain without losing detail or neutrality. A recent encounter with an all-tube setup (from Raven Audio) is still messing with me (and it's been a while), so I thought that a possible upgrade in DAC with a tube and good preamp (just to see if my Diablo's preamp can be bettered) could be in order. OTOH, I have a very good DAC already and definitely don't have the know-how for tube-rolling and won't buy blind. Lampis are hard to come by here in Texas to get an idea of the house sound and pros/cons.

Talk to Fred and Rob at Lampi Nth America. I am sure you can trial one for 1 to 2 weeks, risk free.

Golden Gate has a substantial waiting list now though. They will also know who if anybody has a Lampi in Texas.

I started to use my Big 7 today an I am having an issue. No DSD sound. Tried with Aurender N100 and MacBook pro with Audirvana Plus.

Try with the remote control up arrow until the display shows DSD.

Roch

I'm just saying this basic thing because I didn't know it with my Big 7 but there was a toggle switch on back that switched to DSD because I dont have remote volume. Maybe thats it?

I'm just saying this basic thing because I didn't know it with my Big 7 but there was a toggle switch on back that switched to DSD because I dont have remote volume. Maybe thats it?

Yes, mine doesn't have volume control. There is a front button written DSD. When it is released pcm plays well. If I push it it was suppose to select dsd, but then no sound.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

Joao,

Can you post pictures of the front and back?

Also what playback software do you use and is it set up correctly? Did you play back DSD on another Dac before with the same settings?

I use Aurender N100, and also tested with Mac and Audinirvana.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I use Aurender N100, and also tested with Mac and Audinirvana.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19010[/ATTACH]

mine looks like yours (besides the labels) and I have to switch the two toggle switches below your select label to get the DSD to go. Again mine is last years model so my advice might not be much help.

There was a disconnected wire on the DSD board.

Lukasz supported pretty much by phone and email and I got someone just to make the solder. DSD is working now.