IGNORED

Lampizator questions

For PCM...but DSD is not "chipless" like in the others.

So if one were looking in the $2k-3k'ish space that did pcm and DSD really well, is the Amber a top contender to say - Vega, qb9, direct stream, W4S dac-2 DSD etc..? (Subjective of course)

My rig

Absolutely. The Vega, at quite a bit more would be an interesting comparison. I'd be curious if anyone has heard Vega vs Amber?

And of course there is Amber with and without upgraded PS and Caps. If you can get the Vega to work in 'exact' mode which is hit and miss per person and your upstream components, I'm not sure which is better. Keep in mind the Vega is 3500, no?

The Vega is my other go-to "not sure which to get". But I think once you get to the DSD-only and above then Lampi takes off, on DSD at least. One of the interesting things about the Vega is I haven't seen people rave about the DSD section. They say it sounds a lot like the PCM and isn't anything to jump up and down over. Perhaps like the Chord, both of which are really PCM centric. The Mytek and Lampizator, on the other hand, have clearly better DSD across many reviews. I'm happy to be corrected about Vega DSD, but that is what I've read let's say three times.

From the reviews I've read the Amber swings wayyyyyyy out of its price class. I mean really far out there, forget home run, we are talking beyond the parking lot. You get the benefit of all of the research Lukasz has done in 10k DACs for decades implemented with parts and a production system that aren't as expensive as what he usually does. If you are in that price range I think it is a no-brainer. I'm so confused because I can get into the 3 and 4k stuff, though I do come back to the 'maybe just get a basic Amber and see what the world looks like in 2 years again.' The Amber as a holder piece while we see how things evolve is a no brainer. Oppo 105d is also a good way to get feet wet and experiment with DSD while you figure out the rest. Doesn't compare to Amber at all, but if you do play BluRay on occasion then it does so many things so it isn't money wasted. In fact, it has two external HDMI inputs, and is currently serving as my AVR Pre.

I went to the CAPS get together in Berkeley last weekend and had a lot of fun. No one that I could find either had heard or owned a Lampi. Overall many in that group were pretty down on DSD.

To the comments on DSD above, I will stick with my comment that while I'm all for it, I think it could disappear quite quickly and DSD-only is a risk. Imagine if HQPlayer guy decides he likes another format in a month, or worse, decides to change hobbies/jobs or becomes I'll and doesn't continue to work on the product. Anyway, I do a lot of business work, and while, again, I'm all for it, I think it is a huge risk. Sony has been great recently but that could change overnight, especially if they find revenue low.

Anyway, still figuring it all out! I might be able to swing a full L4, but full L5 w/dual mono DSD 256 is 7600 Euros - just too much. I actually can do that, but doesn't sit right with me.

I disagree with your line of thinking that the software manufacturers might ever remove support for DSD upsampling. These software companies are selling to audiophiles, not to the mass market. They know that a number of audiophiles believe very strongly in DSD and that enthusiasm is not based on the paltry availability of commercially available DSD downloads.

Even if something shinier and newer comes along, I cannot a imagine reason why they would ever remove it from their software products. They've already engineered it, so there's no cost to them. That would alienate the growing number of audiophiles who have DACs that can play PCM & DSD but prefer to upconvert to the latter. I don't see how that would benefit them.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I am liking very much the sound of JRiver up sampling my files to DSD. However, are there any special settings people have found sound better than others?

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

I disagree with your line of thinking that the software manufacturers might ever remove support for DSD upsampling. These software companies are selling to audiophiles, not to the mass market. They know that a number of audiophiles believe very strongly in DSD and that enthusiasm is not based on the paltry availability of commercially available DSD downloads.

Even if something shinier and newer comes along, I cannot a imagine reason why they would ever remove it from their software products. They've already engineered it, so there's no cost to them. That would alienate the growing number of audiophiles who have DACs that can play PCM & DSD but prefer to upconvert to the latter. I don't see how that would benefit them.

We can check back here in 5 years. :) Note I'm not saying it will happen, just that the risk is large.

We can check back here in 5 years. :) Note I'm not saying it will happen, just that the risk is large.

Yea, I remember back when CD first came, people were skeptical due to the lack of software. Then 10 years later they were skeptical of keeping vinyl. Same skepticism about SACD, yet it's still around. I would bet that DSD maintains the long haul, it's niche technologies like Pure DSD or MQA that are today's gamble.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Yea, I remember back when CD first came, people were skeptical due to the lack of software. Then 10 years later they were skeptical of keeping vinyl. Same skepticism about SACD, yet it's still around. I would bet that DSD maintains the long haul, it's niche technologies like Pure DSD or MQA that are today's gamble.

When you hear MQA, you will realize how true your comment is! 24/96 PCM and DSD offer far better sound than MQA - even when decoded with a new MQA equipped DAC.

As for DSD, remember that we have already had a DAC maker wonder how much longer people will ask for PCM in their DACs vs. going with DSD only. :)

The PS Audio DirectStream sells for $5,999 according to their web site.

DirectStream DAC | PS Audio

PS Audio Direct Streams can be bought for $3400-3500. PS Audio will give you a free PWT transport if you pay the $6K for the DS! PM me if you want to know where to buy at that price. I've had 2 offers from PS Audio dealers. You just don't get a money back 30 day trial. :-) You bought it and don't like it? Sell it on e-bay.

So if one were looking in the $2k-3k'ish space that did pcm and DSD really well, is the Amber a top contender to say - Vega, qb9, direct stream, W4S dac-2 DSD etc..? (Subjective of course)

I did hear the eXasound series of DACs at AXPONA a couple weeks ago. They sounded very nice. The e22 is ~$3500 and does up to 256 DSD. (and they have their own ASIO driver for Macs to do that, too)

I did hear the eXasound series of DACs at AXPONA a couple weeks ago. They sounded very nice. The e22 is ~$3500 and does up to 256 DSD. (and they have their own ASIO driver for Macs to do that, too)

Yes, and exaSound is rolling out their "Mark II" editions of the e22 (Stereo DAC with DSD 256) and the e28 (8 Channel DAC with DSD 256). They will continue to get attention in the DAC market.

Yeah, I have not read anyone not liking the eXa's. Although they don't seem to get as much visibility as some others.

Might as well get out the dart board to make the next purchase :)

My rig

Quick Lampizator question. My Lampi L7 has amanero USB board. Anyone using HQ Player with Lampi? Should I use ASIO or WASAPI? So far with HQ Player WASAPI works fine but ASIO is not working properly. Is ASIO recommended over WASAPI? I'm upsampling PCM to DSD 128.

Quick Lampizator question. My Lampi L7 has amanero USB board. Anyone using HQ Player with Lampi? Should I use ASIO or WASAPI? So far with HQ Player WASAPI works fine but ASIO is not working properly. Is ASIO recommended over WASAPI? I'm upsampling PCM to DSD 128.

I'm not in front of HQP right now so my details won't be exact. Yes, use the ASIO driver that you can download from the Lampizator website. Once installed mine showed up as "Combo384" (something like that), and you need to use the DoP option in the Settings options.

Let me know if this isn't clear enough and I'll give you specifics this evening once I get home and in front of HQP.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Thank you Jabs! Yes, I've downloaded ASIO driver for Amanero USB. Lamipzator Level 7 uses this Amanero USB input. However, when I select 'ASIO' and then 'combo384' end point on HQ Player the sound doesn't come out from my speaker. Nothing happens. When I select 'WASAP' and then 'combo384' end point on HQ Player everything plays fine. And now if I switch back to 'ASIO' from 'WASAPI' then ASIO seems to work somewhat but there's lot of noise and stuttering in ASIO.

So far WASAPI has been flawless for me. Not sure what is going on with ASIO.

I'm not in front of HQP right now so my details won't be exact. Yes, use the ASIO driver that you can download from the Lampizator website. Once installed mine showed up as "Combo384" (something like that), and you need to use the DoP option in the Settings options.

It shouldn't be necessary to use DoP when using Amanero's ASIO driver as it supports ASIO raw DSD. Set "SDM Pack" to "none" to enable ASIO DSD and rates up to DSD512 (if the DAC supports it)...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I use Lampi's Level 4 DSD only with my STAX amp. I am going to buy a pair of XLR cables. Any suggestions?

I.wouldn't spend on interconnects before upgrading to B7. Save money in the meantime. I.used 75 quid xlrs bought from a London dealer on my level 5 that worked wonderfully well, and then I upgraded to b7, and got an audience. I demoed a number of high end xlrs on level 5, including virtual dynamics master, expensive MIT, albedo, but never found the upgrade to do much. That said my AR ref amps were not so sensitive to XLR. I find the difference in RCA interconnects is pretty high

I.wouldn't spend on interconnects before upgrading to B7. Save money in the meantime. I.used 75 quid xlrs bought from a London dealer on my level 5 that worked wonderfully well, and then I upgraded to b7, and got an audience. I demoed a number of high end xlrs on level 5, including virtual dynamics master, expensive MIT, albedo, but never found the upgrade to do much. That said my AR ref amps were not so sensitive to XLR. I find the difference in RCA interconnects is pretty high

Is your Big 7 unbalanced or balanced? With or without the volume control option?

It shouldn't be necessary to use DoP when using Amanero's ASIO driver as it supports ASIO raw DSD. Set "SDM Pack" to "none" to enable ASIO DSD and rates up to DSD512 (if the DAC supports it)...

DoP not necessary!?

Been using it ACCORDING TO INSTRUCTIONS since I got the G5 L4 about 6 weeks ago.

Seeking confirmation on this from Lampizator crew.

Thanks Miska