IGNORED

Lampizator questions

Wisnon,

I was considering the LaFontaine, since I like what the Prima DAC (the DAC of the Capitole) brings to the table, but the fact that Audio Aero is gone and with their normal hardware troubles I'm not inclined to risk that much. It was looking for alternatives that I found out about the Lampizator, since I'm trying to get some tubes in the chain without losing detail or neutrality. A recent encounter with an all-tube setup (from Raven Audio) is still messing with me (and it's been a while), so I thought that a possible upgrade in DAC with a tube and good preamp (just to see if my Diablo's preamp can be bettered) could be in order. OTOH, I have a very good DAC already and definitely don't have the know-how for tube-rolling and won't buy blind. Lampis are hard to come by here in Texas to get an idea of the house sound and pros/cons.

Marslo rolled tubes on his broken in B7 and is now loving the PCM, even perhaps over his beloved AA La Fontaine! It was the combo of WE replica 101ds and the NOS RCA-JAN 5R4GY rectifier.

From WBF

Today, 10:30 AM#30

marslo

Originally Posted by bonzo75

Hi Mariusz different tubes will give you different punch

You were right , here is the game changer, recommended by the fellow audiophile .

Now pcm from lampi is on the level of La Fontaine if not better

A possible explanation is here:

http://www.tubemaze.info/sound-of-rectifier/

Marslo rolled tubes on his broken in B7 and is now loving the PCM, even perhaps over his beloved AA La Fontaine! It was the combo of WE replica 101ds and the NOS RCA-JAN 5R4GY rectifier.

From WBF

Today, 10:30 AM#30

marslo

Originally Posted by bonzo75

Hi Mariusz different tubes will give you different punch

You were right , here is the game changer, recommended by the fellow audiophile .

Now pcm from lampi is on the level of La Fontaine if not better

A possible explanation is here:

http://www.tubemaze.info/sound-of-rectifier/

Hi wisnon,

The whole tube rolling thing makes my mind spin. [emoji1]

I'll give the good people of lampizator USA a call to see if anyone close by has one in order to get acquainted with the sound. Depending on the results I'll consider entering the wonderful and scary world of tube rolling [emoji16].

Thanks for the info. [emoji106]

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Hi wisnon,

I'll give the good people of lampizator USA a call to see if anyone close by has one in order to get acquainted with the sound. Depending on the results I'll consider entering the wonderful and scary world of tube rolling [emoji16].

Rev, you dont HAVE to roll!

The Dacs sound great with the stock tubes.

Rolling is fun and helps to refine the Dac to best synergy with the rest of your gear or just to change presentation for different kinds of music!

And THAT is how we roll! LoL

Hi wisnon,

Hi Reverendo, Like Wisnon said, don't roll if you don't want to. Lampi sounds great out of the box, plus it's a tweakophile's wet dream. Use 101D replicas, and that's it. Unlike with preamps you don't have to unscrew a case or anything. For rolling, just pick out the tube from the top like you would a lid, and stick another in.

Anyone been able to get a hold of Lukasz via email? I've sent him a couple emails but haven't gotten any replies.

Yeah often, but sometimes it takes being persistent. i imagine he's the kind of guy that get TONS of emails and have to settle for doing his best to reply.

• 2 weeks later...

My Lampi is pretty close to the speakers so vibration control is going to be a plus (good for the tubes too).

Just wondering what people are using?

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

My Lampi is pretty close to the speakers so vibration control is going to be a plus (good for the tubes too).

I use Herbies Isocups w/sonic hardballs but have also used Herbies Tenderfeet to great effect. I just tried some Nordost Sort Kones and found they actually smeared the sound in comparison to the Herbies.

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

Three classic Stillpoints.

Cool, Stillpoints was one of the routes I was thinking of. Can you comment on how things compare with and without them?

Thanks

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

Cool, Stillpoints was one of the routes I was thinking of. Can you comment on how things compare with and without them?

Thanks

Well, I did no A-B type listening tests because I've been using these things so long I am confident in what they will do. Clean up, tighten up the sound/presentation and provide more focus.

Sound is very good. No need to take them off. ;)

HRS Nimbus

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

• 2 months later...
Hi Reverendo, Like Wisnon said, don't roll if you don't want to. Lampi sounds great out of the box, plus it's a tweakophile's wet dream. Use 101D replicas, and that's it. Unlike with preamps you don't have to unscrew a case or anything. For rolling, just pick out the tube from the top like you would a lid, and stick another in.

Has anyone tried the the KR PX4 on a Big 7 or GG? Any thoughts or impressions would be appreciated. Getting my B7 soon and the factory is offering KR's PX4 instead of WE 101D replica's (which I had ordered). Apparently they ran into a faulty batch of 101D’s so keeping that option would delay delivery.

Mac Mini (2012) SSD / Lampizator Big 7 / ARC Preamp + Amp / Martin Logan Speakers and Subs.

Has anyone tried the the KR PX4 on a Big 7 or GG? Any thoughts or impressions would be appreciated. Getting my B7 soon and the factory is offering KR's PX4 instead of WE 101D replica's (which I had ordered). Apparently they ran into a faulty batch of 101D’s so keeping that option would delay delivery.

I have never tried PX4, but KR Audio makes great tubes (Of late) and I love their 300B's,etc. If you can afford the B7, you will tube roll and I prefer the NOS WE 101D over the replica. YMMV. So I would go for the KR. My 2c.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Thanks wisnon and zerung for your replies. Already ordered the PX4's - can't wait to get my B7! I will start looking at other tubes to start rolling when I get the unit.

Mac Mini (2012) SSD / Lampizator Big 7 / ARC Preamp + Amp / Martin Logan Speakers and Subs.

In my Big7 so far, after using EML 45's and NOS Sylvania 6A3's, I prefer 101D Western Electric Replicas. And after using the Shuguang 274B and NOS Western Electric 422A, I prefer a Brimar 5Z4GY(CV1863). Given the significant cost difference between the Brimar 5Z4GY vs the WE422A NOS tubes, I'm still kinda' amazed, but pleasently surprised by the outcome. Presently, at least in my room/system, the WE 101D replicas and the 5Z4GY combination is a winner!

However, downstream components and the ever important system synergy resulting from same, significantly affects ones final tube preferences (i.e. my mileage and yours will more than likely vary).

As mentioned previously, one needn't roll tubes in the Big 7 for really great results, but it sure is quite beneficial and fun to have the ability of fine-turning to suit your room, system, and ultimate sonic tastes!

-Mike

Thanks Mike. I have heard great things about 101D Western Electric Replicas - this was my original choice for the order. For rectifier I ordered the Shugang 274b. I will have to try the Brimar 5Z4GY(CV1863)!