IGNORED

Lampizator questions

I have downloaded the Amanero USB driver recommended in the Lampi manual. But I am having great trouble unpacking it. I have tried 3 different programs (7Zip, Zipper, WinRar) and get error messages with each one - "unrecognised compression", "corrupt file" etc. Has anybody else had this trouble? I assume not many because I think there are lots of folk successfully using Lampis with this driver. I am just right clicking and follow the "extract to......" option. I am using a Windows XP laptop to unzip, does this make any difference? Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

That should work...I use Mac, but I just did what you said at work and it worked fine...

PM me with email and I can send the extracted file I have.

I have downloaded the Amanero USB driver recommended in the Lampi manual. But I am having great trouble unpacking it. I have tried 3 different programs (7Zip, Zipper, WinRar) and get error messages with each one - "unrecognised compression", "corrupt file" etc. Has anybody else had this trouble? I assume not many because I think there are lots of folk successfully using Lampis with this driver. I am just right clicking and follow the "extract to......" option. I am using a Windows XP laptop to unzip, does this make any difference? Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Hmm, the Amanero USB driver for the Lampizator DAC downloaded and installed fine here.

Secondly, what makes you think a file upsampled to DSD256 is the same thing as a native DSD256 file?

My understanding is that point of upsampling isn't to improve the encode of the source file. Instead, upsampling presents the source file to a high resolution DAC in a format that it can decode more successfully, with less invasive filtering.

I believe the vast majority of DAC's have long operated internally on this principle, which is why "NOS" DAC's are specially designated. But a computer server can be better suited for the upsampling task as it is likely far more powerful and far easier to update than the hardware inside of a DAC.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

• 2 weeks later...
New Lampi Big 7 DAC review at Audioshark:

Lampizator Big 7 Review

Native PCM Score: 8/10

PCM Upsampled to DSD Score: 9/10

Native DSD Score: 11/10

Convenience/Ease of Use: 8/10

Overall Score: 9/10

This needs to be mentioned the entire context of the thread, really - the PCM circuit was not burned in, for example. Also, both Mike and his friend Jerry who had loaned it to him were still not experienced enough with the Lampi - they used the 45s. They should have tried 6A3s and 101ds as well, my favorites are the 101Ds, especially on complex orchestral. Th ease of use I both agree and disagree with. It is easy to use if you plug an Auralic Aries or Aurender straight in. If you use a modded PC, it is as complex or easy as any other dac. Those who want to upsample using HQP add more complexity.

Anyway, I personally found the PCM to blow away the Esoteric K01. Since everything can be upsampled to DSD, the PCM point is, however, moot.

Since everything can be upsampled to DSD, the PCM point is, however, moot.

+1

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I, for one, do not believe that upsampling PCM is "the answer." My ears/brain prefer playing/listening to files w/o modding format or sampling rate. That said, the PCM I hear from my Lampi G5 L4 is indeed VERY good and no doubt the B7 is just that much better.

I upgraded from L5 to big 7, and that was when I listened to the 7 with the stock 2a3s. I didn't want to, but once complex music started (orchestral) it was a KO

I upgraded from L5 to big 7, and that was when I listened to the 7 with the stock 2a3s. I didn't want to, but once complex music started (orchestral) it was a KO

Which is why I won't be listening to any of the 7's, I still have kids in college :(

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Guys,

I am gearing up to getting the DSD-only DAC. I think this is the way to go. HQPlayer and I assume JRiver will improve their DSD upsampling filters so that will also be an option. And of course, using HQPlayer offline to convert files and then using JRiver - not sure if that gets around the JRiver limitations, but I hope so. JRiver file management/interfaces are the best in the business by a long shot.

The issue as I mentioned earlier is that you are getting something like 95-98% of the quality of the L7 for 1/3rd the price. People mentioned a lot of that 5-2% is in the DHT. Well, not sure if this matters or not, but I have a Supratek Pre and he is doing DHT now. I can/will upgrade that in a bit and anyhow my system is so pre-amp oriented with various sources I don't want to use the Lampi embedded pre, so that would defeat a lot of the purpose of the L7 as I understand.

So I think it all makes sense. Now what I'm slightly worried about, worried isn't the right word probably, but there is only 1 input, USB. The other thing people are doing now is ethernet. So two options, if I understand right is:

Computer Audiophile - SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server Review

Computer Audiophile - Geek Speak: How To Build A UPnP / DLNA / OpenHome Renderer For Less Than $100

Has anyone ran either of these or something similar into the USB option of any Lampi? I have a computer with the SOTM card, but it is a computer I use for a lot of things and is super noisy (i.e., high end video card, lots of things going on in here). The good part is that it has a very high end processor for HQPlayer to use. I've never seen JRiver, no matter what I do, use more than 2-5%.

Is there a 'state of the art' recommendation on getting info into the L7? Would it really just be the CompAud W2012 build? I *really* don't want another computer here, but if I really need to do it I will. I'm already buried under the sysadmin responsibilities at my house :).

I would think the real answer is for Lukaz to build an ethernet input with a large RAM buffer feeding the rest of his system. The same concept could apply to USB.

Is that the real answer? There might be a 2 second lag, which isn't so good for JRiver AV stuff, but for dedicated 2-channel listening I don't mind a 1 or 2 second lag at all.

If the buffer were large enough and uses galvanic isolation then doesn't this make all of the upstream cabling and computer whatever irrelevant, as long as the signal gets there?

I think that is where all of this needs to end up.

The DIY guys are going this route with reclocking/buffering for Amanero.

I haven't taken the time to figure it out 100%, but if it can present a signal that is equivalent to what the Amanero puts out, or if it is upstream of the Amanero, then this might work. I also don't know how much buffering it does. I hope it is enough. I'm only about to read the reviews, but thought I'd share.

https://sites.google.com/site/ackodac/home

Look for

AKL-S03 Digital Isolator & Re-clocker

towards the bottom right, here is what it says:

-High Speed Galvanic Isolation with -Synchronous or Asynchronous re-clocking.capability

-Physically matches and interacts with the Amanero USB-I2S but can also be used with other transports or similar application where isolation and re-clocking are required e.g:

-> RPi ...

-> BeagleBone Black ...

-No signal processing. Takes any digital signal irrespective of formats I2S, DSD etc.

-Ultra-low jitter Dual Synchronous Audio Clock (98.304MHz/90.3168MHz or 49.152MHz/45.1584MHz options) - Master Clock

-Divided Slave Clocks @ 22.5792MHz/24.576MHz, compatible with most digital transports

-External clock option => More ...

-All buffered outputs with high drive capability

-GHz rated switching components

-Clean, bit-perfect outputs w.r.t. reference Clocks

-Direct connection to most DACs

-Drives ESS DACs in 'Turbo' Sync mode for the highest performance.

Review #1...

Review #2...

Review #3...

Assembled and Tested.

- Built-to-order ~1-2 wks

S03 with 98.304MHz/90.3168MHz Dual Master Clocks (100M). Up to 768KHz PCM, DSD1024

-Unit Price: USD 250 (1 unit left. long lead times!)

S03 with 49.152MHz/45.1584MHz Dual Master Clocks (50M). Up to 384KHz PCM, DSD512

-Unit Price: USD 235

S03 with 24.576MHz/22.5792MHz* Dual Master Clocks (25M). Up to 192KHz PCM, DSD256

*Has the lowest phase noise compared with 100M and 50M models

-Unit Price: USD 235

I would think the real answer is for Lukaz to build an ethernet input with a large RAM buffer feeding the rest of his system. The same concept could apply to USB.

Is that the real answer? There might be a 2 second lag, which isn't so good for JRiver AV stuff, but for dedicated 2-channel listening I don't mind a 1 or 2 second lag at all.

If the buffer were large enough and uses galvanic isolation then doesn't this make all of the upstream cabling and computer whatever irrelevant, as long as the signal gets there?

I think that is where all of this needs to end up.

Once Merging releases their NADAC DAC later in the year with Ethernet input - and no USB input - and starts promoting their Ravenna protocol - other DAC makers will take a hard look at adding Ethernet as well. But the NADAC starts at $7,500 for the 2 Channel and 8 Channel models, so it will be quite a bit more expensive than the Lampizator DSD DAC.

Guys,

I am gearing up to getting the DSD-only DAC. I think this is the way to go. HQPlayer and I assume JRiver will improve their DSD upsampling filters so that will also be an option. And of course, using HQPlayer offline to convert files and then using JRiver - not sure if that gets around the JRiver limitations, but I hope so. JRiver file management/interfaces are the best in the business by a long shot.

The issue as I mentioned earlier is that you are getting something like 95-98% of the quality of the L7 for 1/3rd the price. People mentioned a lot of that 5-2% is in the DHT. Well, not sure if this matters or not, but I have a Supratek Pre and he is doing DHT now. I can/will upgrade that in a bit and anyhow my system is so pre-amp oriented with various sources I don't want to use the Lampi embedded pre, so that would defeat a lot of the purpose of the L7 as I understand.

So I think it all makes sense. Now what I'm slightly worried about, worried isn't the right word probably, but there is only 1 input, USB. The other thing people are doing now is ethernet. So two options, if I understand right is:

Computer Audiophile - SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server Review

Computer Audiophile - Geek Speak: How To Build A UPnP / DLNA / OpenHome Renderer For Less Than $100

Has anyone ran either of these or something similar into the USB option of any Lampi? I have a computer with the SOTM card, but it is a computer I use for a lot of things and is super noisy (i.e., high end video card, lots of things going on in here). The good part is that it has a very high end processor for HQPlayer to use. I've never seen JRiver, no matter what I do, use more than 2-5%.

Is there a 'state of the art' recommendation on getting info into the L7? Would it really just be the CompAud W2012 build? I *really* don't want another computer here, but if I really need to do it I will. I'm already buried under the sysadmin responsibilities at my house :).

Lightminer, check my signature below. I am doing exactly what you propose.

The unique advantage to using the SMS-100 with HQP is that I essentially have two different players playing through two different DACs without ever messing with any cables. I have JRiver configured to run through my Lynx Hilo DAC through the SoTM USB card, this is used when I just want to browse around or if I have company (I literally pass them the remote and let them choose their own music). I have HQPlayer configured to play through the SMS-100 using Ethernet, the SMS-100 then cleanly pushes this out of its USB port to my Lampi DSD only DAC. Each DAC then feeds a different input on my preamp, all I have to do is select input, open the corresponding player, and select music. Highly recommended.

Wow, Merging is no niche company pushing a niche protocol. Yeah, that sounds great. That plus buffering/isolation could be exactly the ticket.

I'm also a bit scared of putting 3800 into DSD which might go away in a puff. I'm a fan of it, but I've been a fan of many advanced things that went away in a few puffs. My plan for DSD really hitting home is Telarc releasing their whole catalogue for DSD downloads. I'm unclear on their status these days. Concord music bought them or maybe has owned them? Their site is totally different than a year ago. The biggest encouraging thing that happened for DSD is the Sony/Acoustic Sounds partnership. More of that!

I think the final decision for or against DSD will be around what performs better, DSD 512/1024 (can't remember which is equivalent) or DXD. And even many DSD fans aren't sure that it is better compared to DXD, while I think there is a consensus that DSD 128 seriously kicks butt.

Even if we/you/whomever has a lot of money, 3800 is still a lot. Got to be careful. But I'm strongly leaning towards it.

Jabs - very cool! Kind of funny. I see that you have caps there, do you agree that with the SMS-100 in theory you don't need caps, any old computer will work?

Yes, the CAPS really shouldn't be needed if I wasn't using JRiver direct to my Lynx Hilo, and recording vinyl.

You definitely need to figure out if/how you want to jump into DSD but HQP was the real deal maker for me. It is amazing how I can take harsh RBCD (you know, where you turn it up and then decide to turn it back down) and run it through HQP into the Lampi DSD DAC, I find myself wanting to turn it up a little louder.

Well, I got an Oppo 105d a while ago as an intermediate solution and wanted the BluRay part anyway, and am DSD'ing all over the place but I don't think that is the same as Lampizator :). Opus stuff is really good. Paid too much for the Jazz at the JazzClub or whatever, but it is really nice. Done some conversions as well. One JRiver conversion, (recognizing that it isn't as good as HQPlayer), was playing and a musician friend who hates all of my 'hi fi' hobby quite a bit, was startled on hearing the DSD *conversion* (let alone native). She said - and doesn't know what DSD is at all or any of this in any way - 'that sounds like a record player'. The fact that she made that comment blew me away and helped sell me on DSD. The Oppo with proper power cords and vibration isolation actually sounds pretty darn good, better than it gets credit for, but is not even in the same class as the Lampi. I'm also about the take the HQPlayer plunge.

I'm totally sold on DSD128 personally, but what matters is what the masses do. Can DSD persist as a viable product only for the high end community? The 2-channel high end stores are 80% out of business compared to 15 years ago. I don't know that we can support anything. Will Tidal embrace DSD? That is quite a stretch. The low end devices can't DAC the info. Low end generally drives everything and then things that are similar but improved can exist at the high end. There is very little that is high end only. Porsche essentially went out of business and then they added a car at 1/2 to 1/3rd their price and survived. Mercedes created the C class for same reason.

Anyway, I really do hope it makes it, but don't trust the overall market. Everyone I know outside friends in the hobby are still on MP3-128-ish.........

Guys, allow me to make sure before I buy. Is the DSD significantly better than the Amber? Otherwise I'm more of an Amber person in terms of spend. Is it slightly wider soundstage, slightly on some tracks more space between instruments, etc. or is it totally different? If it is slightly better here and there I am probably better off with an Amber for now and maybe add the DSD-only in a few years.

The difference should be quite strong on almost all tracks in order to justify 2X price. I generally keep component spending to around 2k and feel free to go crazy on speakers where I think most of the $ should be spent. But it seems like there might be something here that is worth pursuing even at the much higher price.

Guys,

I am gearing up to getting the DSD-only DAC.

The issue as I mentioned earlier is that you are getting something like 95-98% of the quality of the L7 for 1/3rd the price. People mentioned a lot of that 5-2% is in the DHT.

This is not correct. DSD is the equivalent f L4, and I had the L5. The difference between L5 and B7 was huge, even with stock B7 tubes. Especially if you listen to complex orchestral. If you are just listening to vocals and simple music, yes, the difference is not worth the higher price.

Try this - download a free trial of HQP, it installs easily. Then take any RBCD music you have ripped on your computer and play it using HQP as DSD to your Oppo. It will open a whole new perspective, imagine a RBCD "sounding like vinyl". It isn't always perfect or completely automatic but it certainly restored faith in over half the the CDs I currently have.

I have the Lampizator DSD DAC with the Jupiter caps upgrade here for Stereo DSD. Just excellent. And a fine buy at a price under many DACs. A good place to start.

In terms of DSD Downloads, 25 sites offer them now - check the list of DSD Download sites on the DSD Database. Over 1,300 Stereo DSD titles, over 700 Multichannel DSD titles and growing weekly.

DSD Download Sites.png

www.dsd.sonore.us