IGNORED

Lampizator questions

DoP not necessary!?

Been using it ACCORDING TO INSTRUCTIONS since I got the G5 L4 about 6 weeks ago.

Seeking confirmation on this from Lampizator crew.

Thanks Miska

Try it without the DoP box checked and see if it works.

I just received my 5th Generation DSD DAC back from Lampizator after they upgraded it with the new DSD 256 board. To get DSD 256 playback, I have to use ASIO with DoP turned off. DSD 64 and DSD 128 work with DoP on as I recall.

Try it without the DoP box checked and see if it works.

I just received my 5th Generation DSD DAC back from Lampizator after they upgraded it with the new DSD 256 board. To get DSD 256 playback, I have to use ASIO with DoP turned off. DSD 64 and DSD 128 work with DoP on as I recall.

I have the dual mono 128 DSD.

Unchecked DoP and seems to work fine. Maybe this will clear up some other niggles I've been having.

Thanks.

Here are my settings...HQPlayer - Desktop.jpg

This is to my Lampi DSD only DAC, running at DSD128.

Oops, you probably won't have the "Backend" option unless you are running an NAA device (which I am), therefore it will probably be disabled - so don't worry about it. Also, the "PCM Defaults" on the left side of the Settings menu make no difference and have no effect on a DSD only DAC.

HQPlayer - DSDIDD-DSF Settings.jpg

HQPlayer - Settings.jpg

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

The level 4 part set is used, but Lucasz and others report that when the DSD-only circuit path is implemented without the digital hash of lots of chips and whatever the circuit is so simplified and pure that it sounds way better."

Hello, all, first post here. This has been a very informative thread for me, as I've so much to learn re: audio & especially computer-driven audio.

I recently bought a second hand Gen 4, lev 4 Lampi (of early 2014 vintage) w/o the DSD module, and it has done wonders for playback on my considerable RBCD collection. Reading the descriptions of the analogue/vinyl-esque sounding capabilities of the lampi-DSD DAC/module now has me seriously considering sending the L4 in for the DSD upgrade. However, the quoted text above has given me pause.

My (very limited) understanding/assumption was that in any non-Amber Lampi, the DSD (or DoP, etc) signal would be transmitted via USB directly into the discrete DSD processing stage, bypassing the PCM DAC chip and all other PCM processing, and then out through whatever level output stage (4, 5, or 7) the Lampi possesses, resulting in no inherent difference in the processing/sound between a DSD-only Lampi, and a L4 PCM with DSD module Lampi that shared the same output stage.

Can someone enlighten me on which is closer to the truth, the quoted text above, or my original assumptions? Also, does anyone have a ballpark idea of what adding the barebones DSD module to an existing Lampi costs? Lukasz' site says to contact them for info, but I would prefer knowing as much as possible before riddling them with too many novice questions.

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful responses.

Does anyone have a ballpark idea of what adding the barebones DSD module to an existing Lampi costs? Lukasz' site says to contact them for info, but I would prefer knowing as much as possible before riddling them with too many novice questions.

The Lampizator web site shows several DSD upgrade options to the Level 4 Lampizator. Looks like it's a function of what you want (DSD, DSD dual mono, DSD 256):

• DSD engine built in (64x - 128x) (500Eu)
  • DSD dual mono engine built in (64x - 128x) (750Eu)
  • 256x DSD engine built in (1000Eu)
  • 256x Dual Mono DSD engine built in (1500Eu)

DAC LEVEL 4

Oh that didn't show on my phone until I went to the purchasing page--thanks. As my L4 is a 4th generation rather than 5th, it has only the spdif, so I assume installing the USB input would tack on addition fees. These are good ballpark frameworks to work with, though. Thanks again.

Your best bet is to contact Fred or Bert at Lampizator North America in New York. They can discuss upgrade options for your Level 4 Lampizator.

DSD on the Lampizator is not to be missed. It will be an upgrade well worth doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried tube rolling my Amber with a pair of Genalex ecc82 but for some reason I'm only getting sound on the right side. Swapping back the stock tube got sound back on both sides. And putting the Genalex ecc82 back into my Line Magnetic tube dac I got both sides again.

For some reason the Amber doesn't want to play nice with another pair of tubes. Anyone have experience?

I did get in touch with Rob at lampizator NA to discuss options, thanks. Now I'm torn between DSD upgrading my L4 or selling and buying a show model Lite 7 w/DSD installed. Has anyone compared the PCM and/or DSD SQ of the 4 vs 7 (lite or big)?

I added a dsd module to my level 4 and so glad I did. I use JRiver to upsample my files and the sound is wonderful.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

I upgraded from a L4G4 to a big 7 with DSD. Never thinking the DSD would be used that much. I recently bought into upsampling everything, with HQplayer and only use DSD now. The jump from L4 to big7 was huge. Native DSD recordings are really special.

I upgraded from a L4G4 to a big 7 with DSD. Never thinking the DSD would be used that much. I recently bought into upsampling everything, with HQplayer and only use DSD now. The jump from L4 to big7 was huge. Native DSD recordings are really special.

Maybe I bought yours on eBay! Ha. Anyway, is the huge jump primarily going from PCM on L4 to up sampled DSD on on B7, or is there also on big jump for PCM only from L4 to B7?

is there anyone in the DFW area that has a Big6 or Big7? am starting to look at DACs and a tube dac with very good preamp might just be what I'm looking for. stumbled upon this brand.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

DSD with the Lampizator is very special indeed. And pairing it with Native DSD recordings and Analog Tape to DSD transfers is really something else. Highly recommended! :)

Maybe I bought yours on eBay! Ha. Anyway, is the huge jump primarily going from PCM on L4 to up sampled DSD on on B7, or is there also on big jump for PCM only from L4 to B7?

PCM to PCM was a huge improvement. I loved my L4. And was going to get a vinyl rig and was looking at spending ALOT to get great sound. I ended up scraping that idea and getting a big 7. That was a year ago. The big 7 has been amazing. The DSD is a recent endeavor.

PCM to PCM was a huge improvement. I loved my L4. And was going to get a vinyl rig and was looking at spending ALOT to get great sound. I ended up scraping that idea and getting a big 7. That was a year ago. The big 7 has been amazing. The DSD is a recent endeavor.

I have a L4 DAC DSD only. I also interest to know the difference between the L4 DSD and B7 DSD sound quality. If any, is it due to the difference in output tubes? Mine is a balanced output L4. I don't know how this compares with B7 SE. I am just thinking whether it is worth to upgrade to B7 without using the PCM.

I have a L4 DAC DSD only. I also interest to know the difference between the L4 DSD and B7 DSD sound quality. If any, is it due to the difference in output tubes? Mine is a balanced output L4. I don't know how this compares with B7 SE. I am just thinking whether it is worth to upgrade to B7 without using the PCM.

The PCM on the Big 7 is very good. You may want to consider keeping it vs. saving the $800 by dropping the PCM circuitry.

are there any comparisons of the optional preamps in the DACs with other preamps?

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)