IGNORED

SOTM USB card vs PPAstudio USB Card v2

Inbest

Again, the PPA card has a recommended 200 hour break in. You clearly have not done this. This might explain the collapsed sound stage, but the bass thing still makes no sense to me.

I believe full breaker in will make difference. However, there are two things make me stop trying.

1) Once you have enough experience, you can distinguish that something are the main nature characteristics which can not be changed with times of burn in. I don't think the difference of the bass I noticed will be changed much of longer burn in time.

2)I can not stand longer with the sound that annoyed me much.

I think if one finds his system is lack of clarity but good deep profound bass, maybe PPA card would help.

In general, PPA card is a good card for its price. But to my stand with my current setup, I feel SOTM has more hi end standard to me.

Inbest, I'll take the PPA Card off you (it is v2 right)??

I had more towards the opposite of what you experienced.

I felt both cards were almost identical with the PPA having slightly better base and I like it's soundstage a little bit better (slightly deeper than the SoTM). That along with the price was enough for me to get rid of the SoTM card in favor of the PPA.

Regardless of the card, both I felt gave a cleaner, yet more "analog" styled sound. Bass got better, tighter and with more power behind it (like a boost in equalization, but without the added bloating that EQs seem to have).

I think if one is using the USB off their MB... both are a step up. For me, it's easier to recommend PPA's due to the price difference.

Inbest, I'll take the PPA Card off you (it is v2 right)??

I had more towards the opposite of what you experienced.

I felt both cards were almost identical with the PPA having slightly better base and I like it's soundstage a little bit better (slightly deeper than the SoTM). That along with the price was enough for me to get rid of the SoTM card in favor of the PPA.

Regardless of the card, both I felt gave a cleaner, yet more "analog" styled sound. Bass got better, tighter and with more power behind it (like a boost in equalization, but without the added bloating that EQs seem to have).

I think if one is using the USB off their MB... both are a step up. For me, it's easier to recommend PPA's due to the price difference.

Did you compared both card?

If you did, it is great to hear you are satisfied with PPA card.

like I said. I think it really depends on how your system and space reacts to the cards.

I had my friend tested both cards again with me last night, and he had the same experience as I have.

First, two cards sound very different. Maybe my system has been adjusted to a very good balanced stand that is very sensitive to any change. Or I am very sensitive to my system.

Second, PPA does produce enough bass. Don't get me wrong that PPA card does not produce better bass than the USB off the MB. What I am really referring to is a good hiend bass has to be deep and profound, and not just powerful. It has to be very profound and deep to a stand that it is so well absorbed and melted into the music itself. Sometimes it maybe even "disappeared" because it is very well balanced with mid and high range. Forgive me that I find no words to describe it besides "disappeared". A powerful bass yet very superficial or shallow will only cause sound to be unrealistic or artificial. In turns of this, I find SOTM does a much better job than PPA.

Guys, this may sound stupid, but will those card influence sound in a "normal" computer? My HTPC computer is only with a SSD 60go, a ati 4850, I7 3770, for playing video though mpc HC (mad vdr etc); I kinda would like to avoid for now building a second computer dedicated to music.

SO, any of you have tested the PPA or the SoTM in a non dedicated audio pc (without external PSU for example)?

deanorthk... yes it will work. My audiopc is also a dual booted XBMC and the card works perfectly fine in that as well.

Inbest, I think it's interesting that you find the cards sound that much different. I guess to me they sound more similar then they sound different. Different to me is using the USB off the systemboard. That is different.

It could be your system is more revealing than mine and that would explain it. I am just using a cheap pieced together computer that I use as much AudioPC (Pico 102w psu with Win2012 r2 in core mode with Foobar2000 using KS with AO). So that might explain it.

I just couldn't justify what little differences there were between the two cards yet a lot of extra money being spent to say SoTM on the card.

Your description of the bass is what I get with the PPA card...without any problem.... the SoTM card produced it too, but I felt it was a little more weighted in the bass side. IE, if your system is a little light on the bass, then the SoTM card will work better, but if you have no problem in your system creating extremely tight and accurate bass, then the PPA card works just fine.

For me I enjoyed the soundstage more with the PPA card, which is where my system excels.

I can't wait to try out the new JPlay card and see where it falls. Might even just get another SoTM to have all three and do a good comparison then sell off the two cards I don't want or I'll just build another AudioPC and slap the 2nd best in there and sell off the third. ha ha.

• 2 months later...

TJHUB,

I was able to have the PCIe SOMT card (with a 9v Mojo audio LPS), in my Zuma, work well with windows Server 2012, optimized, in minimum mode (not Core, now windowed). The improvement is very clear. I did not try core mode because I use a standalone computer (not two) and want wifi access to use Jremote.

Cheers,

VPN

Cable Modem w/Mojo 5 power-> Innuos Zenith SE running Roon+Tidal-> Totaldac server-> Totaldac Twelve SE-> CH Precision L1+X1-> 2x Krell FPB 750mcx-> Modded Dunlavy SC-VI w/ Duelund crossovers  Cables: Kubala Realization (speaker), Echole Omnia 2x XLR and 3x AES, Totaldac Gigafilter USB,  Other: Echole Omnia power cables, SRA Scuttle mk.3 Rack, SRA VR 3.0 platforms, four dedicated 20A lines

TJHUB,

I was able to have the PCIe SOMT card (with a 9v Mojo audio LPS), in my Zuma, work well with windows Server 2012, optimized, in minimum mode (not Core, now windowed). The improvement is very clear. I did not try core mode because I use a standalone computer (not two) and want wifi access to use Jremote.

Cheers,

VPN

Hi Vicente

You can use JRemote and WiFi in minimal-server mode as well (almost as good as core). Please email me if you need further assistance.

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi,

Good information here. So good in fact that I am now pondering an add-on USB for my recently built music server. In looking at the alternatives and their cost/benefit relationship I am drawn to the PPA card but have some questions and observations.

In reading Paul's blog I am impressed by his well thought out designs and continual push for progress. He seems to put the money where the best results can be had. I am a bit turned off by the homegrown perfboard construction however. Have others found his equipment to be reliable? Since I have run into issues with buying from small businesses overseas I am always concerned about what happens if I have a problem.

The other question is has anyone tried buying an off the shelf add-on USB card and running it from a non-bus power supply? Was this an improvement over the on-board USB ports? As this is a hobby and part of me like the exploration side I am thinking of starting with an OEM board just to see what that sounds like. I realize that I can just do this and report back (and probably will) but I am curious if others have had any luck there.

So far I am stunned by how much better my Windows Server 2012 fan-less "CAPS-like" server is as compared to my store bought PC running Windows 8.

Best,

Paul

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Hi,

Good information here. So good in fact that I am now pondering an add-on USB for my recently built music server. In looking at the alternatives and their cost/benefit relationship I am drawn to the PPA card but have some questions and observations.

In reading Paul's blog I am impressed by his well thought out designs and continual push for progress. He seems to put the money where the best results can be had. I am a bit turned off by the homegrown perfboard construction however. Have others found his equipment to be reliable? Since I have run into issues with buying from small businesses overseas I am always concerned about what happens if I have a problem.

The other question is has anyone tried buying an off the shelf add-on USB card and running it from a non-bus power supply? Was this an improvement over the on-board USB ports? As this is a hobby and part of me like the exploration side I am thinking of starting with an OEM board just to see what that sounds like. I realize that I can just do this and report back (and probably will) but I am curious if others have had any luck there.

So far I am stunned by how much better my Windows Server 2012 fan-less "CAPS-like" server is as compared to my store bought PC running Windows 8.

Best,

Paul

Paul Pang is very reliable. His products are excellent and his customer support excellent. I have not had a problem.

I now am in possession of the SOTM tx-USB, Pang V1 and the new JCAT cards. Each has their pluses and minuses and I plan on doing a shootout among the three next week. Clean power is very important to each and all three exceed MOBO USB. I as well as others have experienced some issues with the JCAT and certain MOBO, BUT, Marcin from JPlay has been excellent with customer support as well as returning $ to those who find their MOBO don't work. As I am in the early stages of evaluating the JCAT card I am refraining from a knee jerk response in claiming which I like the best until I have my power issues equal for all.

To be continued, but Pang's card is an EXCELLENT choice for the $$, especially relative to the differences in cost between his card and the SOTM and JCAT.

Paul Pang is very reliable. His products are excellent and his customer support excellent. I have not had a problem.

I now am in possession of the SOTM tx-USB, Pang V1 and the new JCAT cards. Each has their pluses and minuses and I plan on doing a shootout among the three next week. Clean power is very important to each and all three exceed MOBO USB. I as well as others have experienced some issues with the JCAT and certain MOBO, BUT, Marcin from JPlay has been excellent with customer support as well as returning $ to those who find their MOBO don't work. As I am in the early stages of evaluating the JCAT card I am refraining from a knee jerk response in claiming which I like the best until I have my power issues equal for all.

To be continued, but Pang's card is an EXCELLENT choice for the $$, especially relative to the differences in cost between his card and the SOTM and JCAT.

Looking forward to it. I hope one of these days we will be able to enjoy the benefits on a Mac OS as well.

Cheers.

Have both the SOtM and Pang cards...

Each is extremely good and a bit difficult to distinguish between IF the rest of your system is appropriately optimized... Phil's script and JPlay set up correctly and, of far more significance to sonic excellence, powering the SSD card independently from the motherboard.

With an appropriately optimized system even the motherboard USB outputs sound very good.

Hi,

I like what you said. I have AO script, Windows Server 2012R2, and Jplay setup in core mode, and feel lacking nothing in terms of sound quality. I know it's a subjective statement, as the above is on a gaming laptop only. But it's only to show how satisfied I am even with a reasonably powerful but non particularly tuned audiophile CAP. Hoping someday I'll have my hands and ears on a real hard-core CAP. Thank you.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

Hi,

This will be my first post so please bear with me in case i don't get things right :). I have both the PPA V2 and SOtM cards and i agree with the general observation that the SOtM has a more analogue sound while the PPA card has wider sounstage and dynamics, both are very good while what card to use will depend on the type of music you listen to.

USB3.0 has a better protocol, that also helps to reduce electromagnetic interference (EMI).

After I installed a decent USB 3.0 Card the sound became more clean and clear, and I will filter the power from the motherboard to it.

Hi Folks

You can order your Paul Pang Parts via my store and get some reduced prices as well: https://www.highend-audiopc.com/store.html. For non-listed parts please email me.

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

I guess that I should also ask is the PPA PCIe x1?

I have already posted it here, nevertheless:

This Browse for Products | CPC (i.e. a PCI-e 1.1 x1 card) + this HIFI with a crystal of different frequency + a transformer ruining waveform (i.e. quality) of the output clock signal = SHOPPING AREA: AUDIO GRADE USB 3.0 PCIE CARD

Look at the USB card specifications for your card details. I could not find any user manual online for the model PSG90847, probably some OEM for the Pro Signal brand.

This Browse for Products | CPC (i.e. a PCI-e 1.1 x1 card) + this HIFI with a crystal of different frequency + a transformer ruining waveform (i.e. quality) of the output clock signal = SHOPPING AREA: AUDIO GRADE USB 3.0 PCIE CARD

Look at the USB card specifications for your card details. I could not find any user manual online for the model PSG90847, probably some OEM for the Pro Signal brand.

Thanks for posting again. Missed it earlier.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Two weeks ago I met a friend and borrowed the SotM USB card. Today I just compared it with my AdnacoS3B.

Due to the difficulty in swapping PCIe card inside the Steracom chassis, I chose another fanless ITX board for comparing two cards. The board is powered by a Pico-DC with 12V LPS. I have another 5V LPS for powering the AdnacoS3B external case (the end point) and the same 5V power supply provides USB power to SotM card as well.

I also compared with the on-board USB output (USB3.0)

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

Some highlight of the comparison:

1. on-board USB vs SotM - SotM runs out obviously without any doubt, the sound quality improves immediately in every aspect.

2. SotM vs AdnacoS3B - Difference is subtle, I took several rounds of AB testing to get more differences. One major difference is that the SotM card seems lack of a layer of very low frequency that makes my sofa vibrate. Don't misunderstand that such vibration is not in large magnitude like AV systems but it just no that vibration for the same track when using SotM card.

3. The other difference is, SotM presents music in a more "leisure" way that sound is a little bit smoother than AdnacoS3B.

4. The level of quietness are very close for both cards (in this setup) that I don't want to further justify.

Conclusion:

1. In terms of price and performance that the SotM gives, I think it already done its work.

2. AdnacoS3B on the other hand is a bit over priced, but it gives something (better frequency range response) and it seems more tend to "precise/neutral" way of presentation of music, while SotM is little bit more musical way of presentation of music.

Player for PCM44.1: Squeezebox receiver (modified)

Player for Hi-Res/DSD: VpyageMPD + i7 4765T, Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE, G.Skill 4G-DDR3-CL7, AdnacoS3B

DAC: Lampizator Lv7

Tube Amp: YS-Audio Pre+Power

My DIY: http://obeediy.blogspot.com

Two weeks ago I met a friend and borrowed the SotM USB card. Today I just compared it with my AdnacoS3B.

Due to the difficulty in swapping PCIe card inside the Steracom chassis, I chose another fanless ITX board for comparing two cards. The board is powered by a Pico-DC with 12V LPS. I have another 5V LPS for powering the AdnacoS3B external case (the end point) and the same 5V power supply provides USB power to SotM card as well.

I also compared with the on-board USB output (USB3.0)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12036[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12037[/ATTACH]

Some highlight of the comparison:

1. on-board USB vs SotM - SotM runs out obviously without any doubt, the sound quality improves immediately in every aspect.

2. SotM vs AdnacoS3B - Difference is subtle, I took several rounds of AB testing to get more differences. One major difference is that the SotM card seems lack of a layer of very low frequency that makes my sofa vibrate. Don't misunderstand that such vibration is not in large magnitude like AV systems but it just no that vibration for the same track when using SotM card.

3. The other difference is, SotM presents music in a more "leisure" way that sound is a little bit smoother than AdnacoS3B.

4. The level of quietness are very close for both cards (in this setup) that I don't want to further justify.

Conclusion:

1. In terms of price and performance that the SotM gives, I think it already done its work.

2. AdnacoS3B on the other hand is a bit over priced, but it gives something (better frequency range response) and it seems more tend to "precise/neutral" way of presentation of music, while SotM is little bit more musical way of presentation of music.

What are you running in your AdnacoS3B setup? What fiber cable? Is it a PCI card? I might be interested in buying a setup. I don’t have any PCI express slots as my motherboard is older and all the newer USB cards seem to be PCI express cards.

If you run test tones, how low will your system go?

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

What are you running in your AdnacoS3B setup? What fiber cable? Is it a PCI card? I might be interested in buying a setup. I don’t have any PCI express slots as my motherboard is older and all the newer USB cards seem to be PCI express cards.

I am running with kind of latest version of Intel i7 and Asus MATX motherboard. Yes, it is pcie (x1) so unfortunately you may need to upgrade the PC if you wanna setup one.

This fiber converter allows end user to mix and match (kind of). As you see, there are three parts here:

1. Host card (pcie), which is put inside the PC chassis

2. Receiver, the small aluminium box

2. Transmitter on both host and receiver

For the receiver, you can buy one that comes with several slots of PCIe/PCI. That allows end user to put whatever card they want, not just connecting to USB devices. That's more expensive than my USB receiver of course.

For transmitter, you can choose either single mode or multimode, both are dual cable version as I know. Single mode suppose support longer distance and multimode is cheaper and supports shorter distance only. This kind of transmitter is based on an industry standard called "STP". I am not technical enough to further describe the meaning, but that means you can buy your own transmitter as long as it is STP compliance I believe. They do have two model that recommended me when I buy, so I bought one of the two models in local computer network equipment stores. It's more expensive buying this from them that's why I bought locally.

In other words, the host card and the receiver, you need to buy from them (via email to Adnaco, the email address can be found in their web site). You can also buy whole set from Amazon if Amazon ships to your place (Amazon not ships this item to my place). For transmitter and fiber cable, you can order from them as well, or you can check the price elsewhere as it is industrial standard.

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean, because English is not my mother tongue. Would you please rephrase in a more layman way? Thanks

Player for Hi-Res/DSD: VpyageMPD + i7 4765T, Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE, G.Skill 4G-DDR3-CL7, AdnacoS3B

I have STP fiber cables upstairs already so I know fiber. Single mode is a laser and multimode is a diode. Yes single mode is longer distance and is what the phone company uses as it will transmit 125 miles. Are you using single mode or multimode?

I was just wondering if you had run some test tones from a CD to see how low of a frequency you get out of the AdnacoS3B. I seem to have trouble below 25 HZ with my digital. I was going to try a different USB output. I think I am going to stay with my motherboard and use a PCI card.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

I have STP fiber cables upstairs already so I know fiber. Single mode is a laser and multimode is a diode. Yes single mode is longer distance and is what the phone company uses as it will transmit 125 miles. Are you using single mode or multimode?

I was just wondering if you had run some test tones from a CD to see how low of a frequency you get out of the AdnacoS3B. I seem to have trouble below 25 HZ with my digital. I was going to try a different USB output. I think I am going to stay with my motherboard and use a PCI card.

I see, I have not tried that. I only tried by playing some classical music. Let me see how to do such test.

My version is single mode.

I take it you do not approve of this route.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz