IGNORED

SOTM USB card vs PPAstudio USB Card v2

Inbest

I must retract my prior comparison. I removed the filters from the JCAT USB card and using my Core Audio Kaia LPS was transformative without the filters. The JCAT without the filter with high quality LPS such as a Kaia rules for me!!

Wonderful news! My experience exactly. Congratulations!

Best,

John

Is removing the filters straight forward?

My apologies, I was referring to using the LPS…I have the 1st Gen PPA card. Linear Power Supplies made a huge difference for me.

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Talking about filters and internal boards, SOtM lists both SATA and fan filters. In principle, would those be a good thing or introduce the kinds of problems you're unhooking with the Jcat card? Anyone have experience with those SOtM cards? SOtM - Ultimate High Performance Audio

I use the SotM SATA filter to good effect in my server. But, I cut off the part of the filter which applies to the SATA data connection, therefore only filtering the power connection. I do not think the extra connections on the data line are a good thing.

Edit: I have just discovered that the new version of the SOtM SATA filter will eliminate the data section of the filter, so, no tricky mods necessary!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Thanks for that. What do you mean by "will eliminate?" I ordered both last week from Sonore/Simple Designs before seeing this thread and mine look like the ones in the SOtM site link above. I've been planning to use the SATA filter on the HDD with my A-V files. Any thoughts about the power fan one? Thought I better ask before installing.

Thanks for that. What do you mean by "will eliminate?" I ordered both last week from Sonore/Simple Designs before seeing this thread and mine look like the ones in the SOtM site link above. I've been planning to use the SATA filter on the HDD with my A-V files. Any thoughts about the power fan one? Thought I better ask before installing.

I have no experience with the fan filter, as I prefer not to have any fans in my server. As t details of what is available and shipping now for the SOtM products I would suggest contacting Jesus directly, I am sure he can answer all of your questions.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I followed barrows suggestion as well and I also power the HD externally.

If you look at the SATA filter you can see that the data lines are not filtered and just pass-through. So you would only be adding additional useless connections.

Fans have no business in a music server.

Looks like the fan filter is moot, since I'd have to disassemble a lot to get to the main sys fan port, which is off in a tight corner. Can't tell much difference with the SATA filter straight out of the box, except a little lower volume.

(is there no way to edit posts?)

I followed barrows suggestion as well and I also power the HD externally.

If you look at the SATA filter you can see that the data lines are not filtered and just pass-through. So you would only be adding additional useless connections.

Fans have no business in a music server.

The new version of SATA filters are half width and only the power connecter is utilized. The SATA cable from the MB now connects directly to the drive. The drive can also be positioned right side up on a flat surface with the SATA filter connected. They should be coming out shortly, but I don't have a firm date yet, but I'll keep you posted. This is a picture of the new drive.

photo.JPG

Jesus R

The new version of SATA filters are half width and only the power connecter is utilized. The SATA cable from the MB now connects directly to the drive. The drive can also be positioned right side up on a flat surface with the SATA filter connected. They should be coming out shortly, but I don't have a firm date yet, but I'll keep you posted. This is a picture of the new drive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12590[/ATTACH]

Jesus R

Definitely a step in the right direction.

IF a fan REALLY needs to be used, and the speed is controlled using PWM from the motherboard, a SOtM Fan filter PCB could be used. The larger fans these days can be very quiet as they run at a considerably lower speed , although the maglev etc. low noise types are more expensive.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

The new version is not available yet and there is nothing wrong with the current filter you have.

Jesus R

Well, having a straight connection off the mobo is preferable to going through the card. I hesitate to modify it.

I use Nexus silent fans, front and back case and attached to the Megahalems cooler. All three run under 1000 rpm. In ordering the fan filter, I wasn't thinking, as install difficulty aside, one filter wouldn't cut it.

Well, having a straight connection off the mobo is preferable to going through the card. I hesitate to modify it.

I use Nexus silent fans, front and back case and attached to the Megahalems cooler. All three run under 1000 rpm. In ordering the fan filter, I wasn't thinking, as install difficulty aside, one filter wouldn't cut it.

I would not modify the SATA filter. On the one fan filter can you get an extension cable to help things?

Jesus R

• 1 month later...
I had read on another forum that the PPA card won't work with Daphile. I haven't been able to get it to work on Daphile either.

The SoTM card works well on Daphile.

Joel

Hello, I can confirm the PPA USB3 card V2 works well with Daphile, maybe the issue you heard about is more related to DAC specific.

I had read on another forum that the PPA card won't work with Daphile. I haven't been able to get it to work on Daphile either.

The SoTM card works well on Daphile.

Joel

Hi,

Do you have the PPA Version 1 or 2? I have both and I booted Daphile from USB on my Topanga and it worked fine with the version 1 card. I have not tried it in my other system, but I do not see why either PPA would not work. They both use the NEC chipset. I do not have a SoTM for comparison.

regards

Bob

It's great to know that the PPA v. 2 works on Daphile.

It couldn't be the DAC (at least I don't think so) because the DAC works fine on Daphile with the SoTM card.

Anyone had success with the JCAT card on Daphile?

Joel

What happened when you tried it? The Linux should have recognized the card.

regards

Bob

The issue I find with both the PPA and JCAT cards is that they're recognized, but I can't get any sound to play through them, strange as that might sound.

I've communicated with Kimmo of Daphile and Marcin at JPLAY about this but, as nice as they both have been, neither has been able to figure out the issue.

I'll appreciate any ideas.

Joel

The issue I find with both the PPA and JCAT cards is that they're recognized, but I can't get any sound to play through them, strange as that might sound.

I've communicated with Kimmo of Daphile and Marcin at JPLAY about this but, as nice as they both have been, neither has been able to figure out the issue.

I'll appreciate any ideas.

Joel

You get sound from the motherboard USB ports?

regads

Bob