IGNORED

SOTM USB card vs PPAstudio USB Card v2

Inbest

So here's what might sound like a silly question. If I turn off all of my USB ports, considering that I use a USB keyboard, if I want to, how would I turn them back on again?

Would I pull the battery out of the motherboard to reset BIOS (would that actually work?) or would there be another option?

Joel

So here's what might sound like a silly question. If I turn off all of my USB ports, considering that I use a USB keyboard, if I want to, how would I turn them back on again?

Would I pull the battery out of the motherboard to reset BIOS (would that actually work?) or would there be another option?

Joel

Depends on the MB. What board is it?

Some boards will still see the KB at post and you can go into the BIOS others have a jumper.

It's an Intel DH77EB.

Thanks Bob.

Joel

Do you have the manual? There is a bios config jumper block (X). With that board you should be able to shut everything off and if you need you get to the bios move the jumper over, your keyboard will work. This will allow to make changes in the bios and save them. Move the jumper back and the system will boot normally. Of course power down and pull the power cord before any changes. :)

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20951/eng/dh77eb_TechProdSpec05.pdf

regards

Bob

Do you have the manual? There is a bios config jumper block (X). With that board you should be able to shut everything off and if you need you get to the bios move the jumper over, your keyboard will work. This will allow to make changes in the bios and save them. Move the jumper back and the system will boot normally. Of course power down and pull the power cord before any changes. :)

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20951/eng/dh77eb_TechProdSpec05.pdf

regards

Bob

Thanks for the information, Bob.

As it happens, I turned off all of the USB ports but I had no luck. Neither the JCAT or the PPA cards worked for me.

Strangely, the USB/SPDIF converter does show up in Daphile and Ipeng and the track progress indicator does indicate the track is playing, but I can't stop the track and my DAC shows it's playing a 24/192 file no matter what file I'm actually playing.

Any thoughts? The SoTM card is the only custom card I can get to play correctly.

Thanks again.

Joel

Thanks for the information, Bob.

As it happens, I turned off all of the USB ports but I had no luck. Neither the JCAT or the PPA cards worked for me.

Strangely, the USB/SPDIF converter does show up in Daphile and Ipeng and the track progress indicator does indicate the track is playing, but I can't stop the track and my DAC shows it's playing a 24/192 file no matter what file I'm actually playing.

Any thoughts? The SoTM card is the only custom card I can get to play correctly.

Thanks again.

Joel

Not really sure. I am surprised though. I am not a Linux expert but I think it should not be difficult to make it work. Have you asked the author?

regards

Bob

Joelha:

This is the statement I was referring to:

"The PPA card is hands down the better card."

The above statement leaves no room for interpretation, perhaps it is not really what you meant though? The only way to support such a statement would be to provide objective data.

I have no argument with you if you feel the PP USB sounds better IN YOUR SYSTEM, I only disagree with the above statement.

Noise is all there is which is affecting things here, this could be noise on the USB cable, or broadcast RF noise from the card, or the computer/server itself, or even AC line noise produced by the computer/server and contaminating other components. Subjective analysis is seriously lacking when it comes to determining which card is "better", as subjective analysis can only determine which card sounds better in a given system context, and as I explained previously, a "worse" performing card may make some systems sound better subjectively.

Not so, it's the usb eye pattern which includes rise time, asymmetry and noise spectra.

HiFiNews publishes eye patterns from usb cable tests and explains the results.

To say that one card is better than another in a system, and not include the cable and

it's power source (or lack of one) is not a statement of universality.

fmak

Hi,

I have PPA usb card with Daphile and it´s working just fine.

I had read on another forum that the PPA card won't work with Daphile. I haven't been able to get it to work on Daphile either.

The SoTM card works well on Daphile.

Joel

Thanks for the questions, Alexandre.

I am able to sync with my DAC, but I've found that the DAC will sync even when there's a digital problem upstream. So sometimes syncing does not tell me whether everything is o.k. or not.

My DAC is a DCS Debussy. I have checked the audio settings and both mixer controls are checked and work fine with the SoTM card.

The fact that you're able to get the PPA card to work when I can't makes me wonder whether my JCAT card is compatible with Daphile or not or whether my DAC also plays into the compatibility issue.

And finally, I realize as I'm writing this message that I should probably check the PPA card in another PC to make sure it actually functions, although I suspect it does. Still, I should check.

Joel

Joel,

Did you have a other USB->SPDIF like i HiFace or wavelength for example on hands ? My suspicion still on Debussy USB, I'm going to this path because I heard about the USB Debussy issue somewhere.

Alexandre.

Funny you should mention this, Alexandre, as I didn't fully explain what I'm doing . . . and I should have.

I had been using a Berkeley USB/SPDIF converter and am temporarily using a DCS Puccini clock (which is also acting as a USB/SPDIF converter. Both devices have been used in front of the Debussy. And in both cases, I've had the same issue with the PPA and JCAT cards. I can't get either to work.

The deeper I get into this issue the more confused I become about the cause. But I appreciate you trying to help me reason through to a conclusion.

Joel

Joel,

First congratulations for the wonderful toys that you are playing there, so my other question is about the how you are feeding the PPA, maybe it's more power hungry than others cards, did you tried change the power supply ? To be honest I don't know if is a valid question because Daphile already recognize your USB interface but who knows.

Alexandre.

"To say that one card is better than another in a system, and not include the cable and

it's power source (or lack of one) is not a statement of universality."

If it is better with one system, cable combination etc... More than likely it will be better with most or all. The PPA card has other features which will be of benefit. I still prefer to listen and not follow test information. YMMV

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, first post!

I know this is an old thread but can anyone tell me how to power the PPA PCIe card? I see a molex connector but may I use a available connector from the computers PSU or do I have to have an external PSU or battery? If so what options do I have ?

Thanks! :-)

You can use the internal power from the PSU. But this is noisey and a good reg linear PSU or PPA ,,s regulated power supply should be used. He sells it on his website and then you need some batterers lipo type stated there . In this way you will be getting the most out of the card.

Regarding jcat cat does anybody know wha the pinout is on the power input . If intro bone I want to use my own power and not the internal PSU. Also does the Jcat USB support win server 2012 in core mode ??

al