IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

Hi everybody,

New here, this is my first post. Please first excuse my english, I'm french and it's difficult for me to write.

I would like to buy one sms-100 and use it in DLNA mode with Foobar. I'm controling the player with FoobarCon android application; it's a great application.

Is it a good solution to use foo_out_upnp plugin ( foobar2000: Components Repository - UPnP MediaRenderer Output ) to send my music to the sms 100?

Is it a better solution to use foo_upnp plugin ( foobar2000: Components Repository - UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point )? I hope NO because with this plugin I can't use FoobarCon?

With the first plugin (foo_out_upnp), where my FLACs will be decoded? In Foobar or in the sms-100?

What the differences between these two plugin?

Thanks, regards.

StefT, you want to use the foo_upnp.fb2k-component plug-in. The files are rendered by the SOtM mini server.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus,

The problem with this plug-in is I can't use FoobaCon. It's for me the best application to control Foobar. I don't like upnp applications (bubble, kinsky...).

StefT, the Foobar2000 UPNP plug-in foo_upnp.fb2k-component works well with the SOtM sMS-100 mini server and gives you local server and control capabilities. On Android I'm recommending BubbleUPNP because it's the best UPNP controller for that OS and has ongoing support.

Jesus R

Greetings,

let me say first, that I'm not a native speaker so please forgive me, if something doesn't make sense.

I have to ask for help here, as I'm experiencing some problems with my sms-100 since yesterday.

I have the unit now for about a week and everything worked as intended until yesterday.

I mainly use the unit for dlna, with jriver as dms and jremote as dmc.

As playing my new download, led zepplin III in 96/24, i was wondering why my dac showed an incoming signal in 44.1 , so i checked what was going wrong, soon I figured out that i had to change the dlna server settings in jriver.

I stopped playback first

then i changed in jriver from typical dlna to audiophile setting, leaving settings for that option as set by jriver, then

restarted jriver

killed the app jremote on my ipad and restarted it.

played led zepp again and it worked, my dac showed the correct sample rate 96, but after the first song player stopped.

I can't figure out why it does, so i tryed to start playback again, nothing .

i restarted everything a few times, tried an update on the sms-100 but there was nothing to update, opened all settings an saved them again, but still now playback. I tried plugplayer with nas as dms insted of jremote / jriver but some problem here.

airplay on sms-100 is doing fine, so it is working generally .

i seems to me that dlna on sms-100 is hanging on some cache or config file, as the volume is always on 85%, which was set some short time before the crash.

As I have no login for the sms-100 I can't ssh into the machine to check the logs.

Looking forward to a helping hand, thanks a lot.

Greetings,

let me say first, that I'm not a native speaker so please forgive me, if something doesn't make sense.

I have to ask for help here, as I'm experiencing some problems with my sms-100 since yesterday.

I have the unit now for about a week and everything worked as intended until yesterday.

I mainly use the unit for dlna, with jriver as dms and jremote as dmc.

As playing my new download, led zepplin III in 96/24, i was wondering why my dac showed an incoming signal in 44.1 , so i checked what was going wrong, soon I figured out that i had to change the dlna server settings in jriver.

I stopped playback first

then i changed in jriver from typical dlna to audiophile setting, leaving settings for that option as set by jriver, then

restarted jriver

killed the app jremote on my ipad and restarted it.

played led zepp again and it worked, my dac showed the correct sample rate 96, but after the first song player stopped.

I can't figure out why it does, so i tryed to start playback again, nothing .

i restarted everything a few times, tried an update on the sms-100 but there was nothing to update, opened all settings an saved them again, but still now playback. I tried plugplayer with nas as dms insted of jremote / jriver but some problem here.

airplay on sms-100 is doing fine, so it is working generally .

i seems to me that dlna on sms-100 is hanging on some cache or config file, as the volume is always on 85%, which was set some short time before the crash.

As I have no login for the sms-100 I can't ssh into the machine to check the logs.

Looking forward to a helping hand, thanks a lot.

Email me so we can set up a support session. [email protected]

Jesus R

Deleted

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

JRiver appears to have issues resampling to very high rates from 16/44.1 in real time for DLNA playback.

That should only be a problem if the CPU isn't fast enough. Bandwidth dropouts might also occur under some circumstances.

If you'd like help, please post on the JRiver forum.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

That should only be a problem if the CPU isn't fast enough. Bandwidth dropouts might also occur under some circumstances.

If you'd like help, please post on the JRiver forum.

Agreed....I over simplified things by not explaining it completely. There are usually these underlining causes to the issue and thus my recommendation to try a different rate. JRiver works great for me during resampling tests, but the customer's eco system is what counts....

BTW my customer's are always asking me for PCM to DSD conversion via DLNA. Are you considering this feature?

Jesus R

hi

sms100 works with the Hex.

on the French audiophile forum in the thread related to the Hex vfrpoye has a system combining both, linked with the TotalDac usb cable.

rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

Thanks for your reply tgb. Would you mind linking the thread, even by PM if you prefer?

Thanks

A quick google search and I've found the thread: the sms-100 seems one of the best way to use the Hex USB input...I'm curious to see how it stack up against the Ayre QB-9 DSD

Massimiliano

I've been using an sMS-100 for a few weeks now and had to chime in. The Mini Server replaced a Topanga in my second system. I am using it with an RL Concero HD and the combination is great. I couldn't be happier with the sound quality coming from this system. I have also been feeding a DacMagic running into my Sonos system which has been a nice addition. I just received an iFi nano to replace the DacMagic so I could play all formats through this system also. The combination of the sound quality that can be obtained with the Mini Server and the ability to feed three separate DACs makes this a no-brainer, especially for the price. Then you add in Jesus' customer service which is like no other I've encountered in my 30+ years in A/V. This is a product everyone should try. I am powering mine with a Paul Hynes power supply and using JRiver/JRemote to manage the music.

I also added a Rendu into my main system and I'm very pleased with the results. The sound quality here is great as well.

Can confirm the Hex works fine with the sms-100, and sounds very good indeed. And it works with my data only usb cable.

One thing I've noticed is the dac doesn't appear in the system status page (no dac connected or something similar) :-O

This is normal with M2Tech hiFace based USB devices...

Jesus R

Hi, please can you explain what's new with the sonicorbiter 1.3 update?

First, the update is live, but please do not update your units just yet. We are still testing the process and making some last minutes tweaks. I'll keep you posted on when to update.

These are the new features for Sonicorbiter Version 1.3:

1. Logitech Media Server (LMS) is now included and runs locally on the unit. This allows playback of local radio stations and supported streaming services in combination with the SqueezeLite output mode. This allows you to use the unit as a UPNP server in combination with other gear. This allows local playback in combination with #4 below. This allows DSD/DoP streaming in combination with #4 below.

2. There is a new Software Manager that allows you install and uninstall apps as needed.

3. There is a selection box in Settings / MPD/DLNA that makes the unit compatible with the OhMedia - OpenHome protocol. Specifically, the Linn Kinsky and Linn Kazoo apps with playlist support can now be used as controllers.

4. There will be a Drive Mounter app that mounts USB drives and other drives. Final implementation of this feature is pending.

5. Various apps have also been updated.

Jesus R

3. There is a selection box in Settings / MPD/DLNA that makes the unit compatible with the OhMedia - OpenHome protocol. Specifically, the Linn Kinsky and Linn Kazoo apps with playlist support can now be used as controllers.

4. There will be a Drive Mounter app that mounts USB drives and other drives. Final implementation of this feature is pending.

Jesus R

Wow, with (3) my interest rises a lot! Thanks!

Hello, i inbstalled 1.3 and tried to install LMS but as few people (on french boards), LMS does not install. All the rest is updated (Squeezelite to 1.6.3, MPD to 0.18...). Below the informations during LMS installation. Any feedback to make it run ?

[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]Package install in progress...[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package dsdplay.armv5tel 0:0.1-6.20131229gitb4a052d.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: sox for package: dsdplay-0.1-6.20131229gitb4a052d.fc18.armv5tel[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package logitechmediaserver-CPAN.armv5tel 1:7.8.0-0.17.20130904git1378237026.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package logitechmediaserver-vendor.armv5tel 1:7.8.0-0.6.20130303git1349179762.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: mac for package: 1:logitechmediaserver-vendor-7.8.0-0.6.20130303git1349179762.fc18.armv5tel[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: lame for package: 1:logitechmediaserver-vendor-7.8.0-0.6.20130303git1349179762.fc18.armv5tel[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package ntpdate.armv5tel 0:4.2.6p5-8.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package perl-CGI.noarch 0:3.59-235.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: perl(FCGI) >= 0.67 for package: perl-CGI-3.59-235.fc18.noarch[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package perl-Class-XSAccessor.armv5tel 0:1.13-4.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: perl(AutoXS::Header) for package: perl-Class-XSAccessor-1.13-4.fc18.armv5tel[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package perl-Digest-MD5.armv5tel 0:2.51-245.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: perl = 4:5.16.3-245.fc18 for package: perl-Digest-MD5-2.51-245.fc18.armv5tel[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: perl(Digest::base) >= 1.00 for package: perl-Digest-MD5-2.51-245.fc18.armv5tel[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package perl-YAML.noarch 0:0.84-3.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: perl(Data::Dumper) for package: perl-YAML-0.84-3.fc18.noarch[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package perl-YAML-LibYAML.armv5tel 0:0.38-4.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Running transaction check[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package lame.armv5tel 0:3.99.5-1.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package mac.armv5tel 0:3.99-9.u4b5.fc17 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: mac-libs = 3.99-9.u4b5.fc17 for package: mac-3.99-9.u4b5.fc17.armv5tel[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: libmac.so.2 for package: mac-3.99-9.u4b5.fc17.armv5tel[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package perl-AutoXS-Header.noarch 0:1.02-10.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package perl-Data-Dumper.armv5tel 0:2.135.06-245.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: perl = 4:5.16.3-245.fc18 for package: perl-Data-Dumper-2.135.06-245.fc18.armv5tel[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package perl-Digest.noarch 0:1.17-244.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package perl-Digest-MD5.armv5tel 0:2.51-245.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: perl = 4:5.16.3-245.fc18 for package: perl-Digest-MD5-2.51-245.fc18.armv5tel[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package perl-FCGI.armv5tel 1:0.74-5.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package sox.armv5tel 0:14.4.0-3.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Running transaction check[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package mac-libs.armv5tel 0:3.99-9.u4b5.fc17 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]---> Package perl-Data-Dumper.armv5tel 0:2.135.06-245.fc18 will be installed[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Processing Dependency: perl = 4:5.16.3-245.fc18 for package: perl-Data-Dumper-2.135.06-245.fc18.armv5tel[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]--> Finished Dependency Resolution[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem[/font][/color]
[color=#2E8B57][font=Monaco]You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

[/font][/color]