IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

Just a quick update, my system beats any system I've heard in any venue except our old listening room (nearly perfect with world-class gear) and a couple of all-analog systems. But the dynamics I'm getting are better than I've ever heard. And I haven't returned to any upsampling yet... I feel sorry for folks with Wilson speakers. Well, I mean their listening experience. :)

To quote the evangelical, Thank you Jesus.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Just a quick update, my system beats any system I've heard in any venue except our old listening room (nearly perfect with world-class gear) and a couple of all-analog systems. But the dynamics I'm getting are better than I've ever heard. And I haven't returned to any upsampling yet... I feel sorry for folks with Wilson speakers. Well, I mean their listening experience. :)

Happy for the outcome and also suprised that the oppo 105D as a dac is working so well!

I will be following your experiences with dsd upsampling with hqplayer, let me know if there is real merit in getting standard redbook upsampled vs native pcm..

Have fun!

PS - not quite got the "wilson" comment...It's not my favourite brand but I loved the Sophias, and they are among one of the best "all-rounders"...

Thanks Mike! Oh, David Wilson stole the design for his first speaker, what became the WATT, from a very early Essence design. He literally ripped it apart and copied it! I saw the agreement he made with Essence to avoid any claim of original design. The insides used shaped concrete with lots of quartz mixed in to make an utterly stiff, nonresonant, uniquely-shaped ported trapezoidal design with negligible port noise. It had clever handling of turbulence with a very nonlinear internal shape and internal wool. Since then Wilson made solid speakers and a honest business (same pattern as Vandersteen, but that's another story) but he charged a lot for the bling and finish without breaking sonic ground. I've been to more lousy Wilson demos than good ones. But he learned over time. I think a lot of builders have far more talent and make better designs at lower cost like von Schweikert.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Hey Sam,

Can you provide some background to your setup? I'm running the sms100 on battery but the sound is still not comparable to Audirvana+ running on my optimized Mac Mini. I would like to be able to switch fully to the sms100 as it is just more convenient to use.

Thanks.

Thanks Mike! Oh, David Wilson stole the design for his first speaker, what became the WATT, from a very early Essence design. He literally ripped it apart and copied it! I saw the agreement he made with Essence to avoid any claim of original design. The insides used shaped concrete with lots of quartz mixed in to make an utterly stiff, nonresonant, uniquely-shaped ported trapezoidal design with negligible port noise. It had clever handling of turbulence with a very nonlinear internal shape and internal wool. Since then Wilson made solid speakers and a honest business (same pattern as Vandersteen, but that's another story) but he charged a lot for the bling and finish without breaking sonic ground. I've been to more lousy Wilson demos than good ones. But he learned over time. I think a lot of builders have far more talent and make better designs at lower cost like von Schweikert.

The Wilson comment does seem gratuitous for this thread. [i have several of their speakers as fair disclosure]. Using the word stole, even if you believe it to be true, seems unwise. There are laws about this, and also, as I said, it seems a bit OT.

Mark

Can anyone say how complete of a replacement for the SBTouch is this? I am trying to find a drop-in repalcement for the SBTouch for someone who is computer literate but doesn't want to get too deep into the weeds. I am thinking largely about the online services such as Rhapsody which depend on the mysqueezebox.com website. Can anyone report if these services work with the SOtM?

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

The Wilson comment does seem gratuitous for this thread. [i have several of their speakers as fair disclosure]. Using the word stole, even if you believe it to be true, seems unwise. There are laws about this, and also, as I said, it seems a bit OT.

Mark

Mark and other members, I apologize. You're right, I shouldn't have used this thread to make an off-topic attack. The Wilson story is quite old and is only a small episode in the history of that company. I have done things of which I am ashamed, so I can't claim any higher moral behavior than Mr. Wilson or other people. The likelihood is that Wilson would have found equal success by a multitude of other possible routes. A passion for quality of design, manufacture, customer service, business skill, and good treatment of employees have all played a greater role in his success.

Can anyone say how complete of a replacement for the SBTouch is this? I am trying to find a drop-in repalcement for the SBTouch for someone who is computer literate but doesn't want to get too deep into the weeds. I am thinking largely about the online services such as Rhapsody which depend on the mysqueezebox.com website. Can anyone report if these services work with the SOtM?

Yes it's a drop in replacement for the SBT if you run LMS software on your server. Full SB functionality available.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'm interested in the previous comments about using this great little Mini Server as an alternative to an SBT...

I had one of the original Squeezbox's once years ago, but dumped it for Sonos.. because at the time I liked the Sonos GUI and control better...

The more and more I delve into UPnP the more it appears to be the nightmare it really is.. So my Q is with LMS and the SOTM Mini Server set up in Squeezlite mode, what are the missing bits that would stop this being a full HiRez alternative to Sonos?

DSD? Multicasting? Can't run LMS on a NAS?..Access of Pandora/Rhapsody/Spotify within the LMS software, what?

And why doesn't Jesus just get a simple app written that lets one swap between the 4 "input modes" of the SMS-100 Sonic Orbiter software to save users having to do this via a web browser..? Seems a little SOTM "app" would be a great idea. That way if there are any deficiencies in the LMS use with this device, one could swap out real easy to another form of playback.. Maybe we could get something outsourced and written to do this via Freelancer.com?.. Or maybe the clever Sonic Orbiter software could "autosense" the connection stream coming in?? Thoughts? Cheers..

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Local radio stations, Pandora, Tune-in and Spotify are working via LMS into the SOtM mini server. There are two many apps to check, but Rhapsody does not work. For Rhapsody, you can also use the Airplay output mode to stream to the SOtM mini server.

Jesus R

For Rhapsody, you can also use the Airplay output mode to stream to the SOtM mini server.

If you're feeling techie... You can also try Shairport for directing from an iOS device to any Logitech Squeezebox compatible device. With the SotM it should (have you tested it Jesus) allow Airplay without the need to switch to Airplay mode.

If you use the latest (v2.3) version of VortexBox this is pre-built. For other LMS installs you will have to investigate for yourself.

Eloise.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Rhapsody is not a game changer for me. I'd easily swap Rhapsody to Spotify. So that's fine. But I'd need to stick with Pandora, cause I luv that service..... So all good.

How about my idea of a simple Sonic Orbiter app J.?

I'd love to be able to switch "inputs" on the go so to speak....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Rhapsody is not a game changer for me. I'd easily swap Rhapsody to Spotify. So that's fine. But I'd need to stick with Pandora, cause I luv that service..... So all good.

How about my idea of a simple Sonic Orbiter app J.?

I'd love to be able to switch "inputs" on the go so to speak....

The intent is that you use the APP Switcher built right into the unit's web GUI page and accessible from any browser on the network.

Jesus R

Jesus... Am I correct that SqueezeLite as used on the SotM SMS-100 will work with Triode's unofficial Spotify app but not with the official Logitech / Spotify app?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have an icon on my iPad bookmarked to the gui page and it works great this way, equivalent to an app

Great! Now there's an idea!

Hi everybody,

New here, this is my first post. Please first excuse my english, I'm french and it's difficult for me to write.

I would like to buy one sms-100 and use it in DLNA mode with Foobar. I'm controling the player with FoobarCon android application; it's a great application.

Is it a good solution to use foo_out_upnp plugin ( foobar2000: Components Repository - UPnP MediaRenderer Output ) to send my music to the sms 100?

Is it a better solution to use foo_upnp plugin ( foobar2000: Components Repository - UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point )? I hope NO because with this plugin I can't use FoobarCon?

With the first plugin (foo_out_upnp), where my FLACs will be decoded? In Foobar or in the sms-100?

What the differences between these two plugin?

Thanks, regards.

Hi everybody,

New here, this is my first post. Please first excuse my english, I'm french and it's difficult for me to write.

I would like to buy one sms-100 and use it in DLNA mode with Foobar. I'm controling the player with FoobarCon android application; it's a great application.

Is it a good solution to use foo_out_upnp plugin ( foobar2000: Components Repository - UPnP MediaRenderer Output ) to send my music to the sms 100?

Is it a better solution to use foo_upnp plugin ( foobar2000: Components Repository - UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point )? I hope NO because with this plugin I can't use FoobarCon?

With the first plugin (foo_out_upnp), where my FLACs will be decoded? In Foobar or in the sms-100?

Thanks, regards.

Your English is fine! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your questions, but I am sure someone will.

Best regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark, regards.

Hi everybody,

Thanks, regards.

Nobody?

This is more of a foobar question than an sMS 100 one, and you might have better luck in a foobar thread. I do not use foobar btw.

Thanks Mark, regards.

Nobody?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I don't think it's a Foobar question!

I have tested these two plugins and they are working great but I would like to know if they are working with the SMS 100.

The question is not the plugins, the questions is the plugins with the SMS 100.

Excuse me, I only meant it as a suggestion because you did not get an answer.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz