IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

How about the results?

I have been switching among the MiniServer USB input, USB input from a PC, and input from a SBT with EDO over spdif and toslink. Inputs going into an Oppo 105 sometimes and a McIntosh C50 other times. I have a reasonably nice system (see my profile), and all three input methods appear to be equivalent. I hear some differences that I attribute to lack of careful volume matching/time delay memory issues, but nothing that pushes me towards one or the other. I am getting a Rendu soon, and will plug that in and test some more. As a general note on async USB, powering down the DACs can cause restart issues, but this isn't limited to the MiniServer.

thx Mark

but strange that you found no difference between the sotm vs a pc or a SBtouch...

your dac input might be not as good as other inputs of your dac, toslink or coax ?...

This is not what people say on other forums.

I'll receive my sotm this week. I'll do some testing and let you know. I'm waiting for my new dac too. So i expect my source quality to surge ;-)

if not, grrrrr !

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

thx Mark

but strange that you found no difference between the sotm vs a pc or a SBtouch...

your dac input might be not as good as other inputs of your dac, toslink or coax ?...

This is not what people say on other forums.

I'll receive my sotm this week. I'll do some testing and let you know. I'm waiting for my new dac too. So i expect my source quality to surge ;-)

if not, grrrrr !

Hi tgb, my swapping inputs was fairly hurried and not very careful, so I wouldn't draw any significant conclusions from it. I will do more testing later, and look forward to hearing your results. I hope there is a 'surge' (or at least some uptick!).

Best

Mark

Hello

Does anybody the reason of three USB Port ?

The explanation of the maker website does not explain anything ...

"

The board for sMS-100 is ready made product including the 3 outputs.

The output for sMS-100 is only for USB Audio device, and doesn’t support the storage device as like HDD, you should connect 1 x USB audio device to operate sMS-100 properly.

"

Thanks

PS Audio P3 - Devialet 240 - Wilson Benesch Vertex - Viard Silver HD 20 (Speaker,Power,USB) - Micromega CD-30 - Audirvana/Jriver - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA

Hello

Does anybody the reason of three USB Port ?

I think that the explanation means that the circuit board/connector panel that is used by SOtM just happens to have 3 USB outputs. They are using that standard board in the MiniServer, so it has 3 outputs. I presume it is easier for them to use a premade output board rather than sourcing one with only one output. SOtM intends that you use only one of them at a time. The one you use doesn't matter (I have used all three, just not at the same time).

Mark

hi, if somebody can help me. I set up the sotm, in dlna, very happy with it, perfect little box, far above I expected.

Now my problem is I can't enter the web interface anymore...

I use the link : myVAMP to get the ip address

then I click on it and... I get a blank page on my browser (not due to Firefox, same thin with Explorer & Opera).

How could I get in touch again with the sotm interface ?

There is no reset button on the box, so I tried to unplug the ethernet wire, unplug/plug the power supply, but nothing changed. I'm a bit lost.

Thanks if you have an idea ;-)

Rgds

tgb, when I have a problem connecting to the SOtM Miniserver, it usually is because I turned my DAC on/off while the MiniServer was connected and powered up. Why don't you try unplugging the power from the Miniserver and the DAC, and then reapply power first to the DAC and then to the Miniserver. It should show up again and operate ok (at least it does for me).

I hope this helps,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Can this work without LMS? Can this work with, Foobar2000 or Jriver? Also since I will never buy a iPad but might buy a non-Apple Macintosh tablet. Is there any chance this device will work without for me?

Newer firmware supports DNLA, AirPlay and works as MPd player if I remember rightly. In DNLA mode it should work with Foobar 2000 with UPnP plugin or JRiver.

If you use it in Squeezeplay mode then there are a few compatible controllers for Android. No idea about Windows tablets (though you can control LMS with any web browser).

Equally there are UPnP controllers for Android.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Newer firmware supports DNLA, AirPlay and works as MPd player if I remember rightly. In DNLA mode it should work with Foobar 2000 with UPnP plugin or JRiver.

If you use it in Squeezeplay mode then there are a few compatible controllers for Android. No idea about Windows tablets (though you can control LMS with any web browser).

Equally there are UPnP controllers for Android.

Eloise

Could anyone confirm what Eloise has said? Thinking of getting the mini server and run it from my control PC via JRiver. Not really good at all these NAS n streaming stuff

Oyaide MT-UB DIY -> Jay Audio LPS25VA -> SOTM SMS-200 -> Wireworld Starlight 7 USB > Singxer SU-1 w/ Custom Plixir Elementa BDC PSU -> Wireworld Starlight 7 HDMI -> Audio GD NOS 11 -> Hifiman Edition X V2 w/ Q-Audio French Siilk

hi Noikw91,

I can confirm what Eloise says, at least what I experience.

I use the sotm-100 in DLNA, I find it more convenient.

I just installed Minimserver on my NAS & on my PC.

I use Upnplayer as a controler on android, the best player according to me because simple/stable/quick.

By doing so, I can stream music from my NAS or my PC.

I installed Minimserver on my PC to stream as I could do via itunes in Airplay, like that, I do not need to go to the sotm interface to switch from dlna to airplay mode. You just have to config minimserver to look at the itunes folders. On the Upnplayer I just have to select the server or the nas or the pc.

Works perfectly because I'm used to jump from a music to another like crasy time to time, and the sotm follows me, without bugs. Great little box.

Just add a good DAC to the sotm, and it sounds fluid & good. As simple as that.

Rgds

Why should I buy JRiver when Minimserver is free ?... Minimserver is doing transcoding to wav24bits on the nas (a basic Syno 212J, with low CPU & low RAM), data flows without trouble. Sounds seems to be more analogic & fluid. Fine for me... for free ;-)

Could anyone confirm what Eloise has said? Thinking of getting the mini server and run it from my control PC via JRiver. Not really good at all these NAS n streaming stuff

All the units ship with the capability to stream to it via DLNA. You just have to go into the web gui and enable the DLNA output. With the DLNA output enabled you can use most DLNA controllers and servers in combination with the unit. Foobar2000 with the plug-in and J River should work great. The DLNA output is still in bata form, but it's working pretty good. You can also install Logitech Media Server (LMS) on your PC and use it as the controller and server with the default SqueezeLite output. Email me at [email protected] and we can work out the best way for you to use the unit.

Jesus R

Thanks guys for the prompt replies :) Will go ahead and check out the mini server!

Oyaide MT-UB DIY -> Jay Audio LPS25VA -> SOTM SMS-200 -> Wireworld Starlight 7 USB > Singxer SU-1 w/ Custom Plixir Elementa BDC PSU -> Wireworld Starlight 7 HDMI -> Audio GD NOS 11 -> Hifiman Edition X V2 w/ Q-Audio French Siilk

• 2 months later...

I hope this is the right place to post this. I just purchased a SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 on Wednesday of his past week and received it today (Saturday). Not only did Jesus and Adrian answer all of my questions quickly and ship it to me without incident, Jesus even remotely connected to me for a support issue I was having playing DSD files on my system. That's what I call great service and after hours support. I'm not related to SOtM or Sonore or Simple Design.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello. I'm a long time Vortexbox user and am currently using their DIY VAMP player in my music systems and am thinking about an upgrade. How does the SOtM Mini Server compare? It seems very similar.

It shares some of the same hardware. However, the Sonic Orbiter software has additional selectable output modes, updates and much more sophisticated code included compared to the VAMP...

Jesus R

It shares some of the same hardware. However, the Sonic Orbiter software has additional selectable output modes, updates and much more sophisticated code included compared to the VAMP...

Jesus R

Thank you for the reply. I'm really only interested in using Squeezelite from the LMS, just exploring options and wondering if the SOtM has a better or faster processor or more memory which might lead to better SQ.