IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

Fixed by going to Tidal via Ickstream.  I was using the Tidal plugin.

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

This might help:

http://wiki.ickstream.com/index.php/Open_Beta_Squeezebox_Installation

It seemed that the Tidal app had a limitation to how many albums it can load into Daphile, at least in mine.

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

Stream buffer is the size of the input buffer used to process an audio stream

Output buffer is the size of the audio output buffer

Increasing these settings will add latency to the playback.

I googled the ASLA buffer and found the following explanation

https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/FramesPeriods

Daphile provides optimised defaults for these settings

I have tried making changes with no noticeable impact on my system.

Kimmo, the Daphile developer, advises that changing these settings will have minimal impact on your system provide they are within the bounds required by the system and that athey are best set to the defaults.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that Quboz is available in the U.S. I am using Ickstream for Quboz also.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Maciej said:

Hello,

I have new DAC Matrix mini-i pro 2s

Can You help me with best Daphile settings for best sound of Tidal ?

I mean Audio processing, Output rate , DSD support

What computer are you using to run daphile? I have an i7 7700 which supports dsd512 up sampling but with tidal I can only do dsd256 before it starts to stutter. I also use the ickstream plugin  to support tidal as it provides access to more tidal playback options.

On 11/2/2018 at 6:39 PM, Triplefun said:

What computer are you using to run daphile? I have an i7 7700 which supports dsd512 up sampling but with tidal I can only do dsd256 before it starts to stutter. I also use the ickstream plugin  to support tidal as it provides access to more tidal playback options.

I have terminal HP T520  :)

I know it's a weak computer but I have read many times that it does not have much impact on the sound ...

Now I have settings " convert PCM to DSD " , DSD64 ,  native

I can play only  DSD 64 , 128 and 256 I have stutter...

but I wonder if such a setting makes any sense this setting?

better is native or DoP ? Now I have native.

Do you hear the differences between DSD 64/128/256 if You play from Tidal ?

DSD native or DoP (DSD over PCM) is basically the same. DoP is an alternative DSD transport layer with the DAC required to extract the DSD stream from the PCM stream. This could cause a minor overhead which is trivial in the scheme of things. The maximum DSD stream within DoP is DSD256.

DSD64 is the format used for SACD. The higher sampling of DSD128, 256 and 512 realise incremental improvements in sound with reduced noise in the upper frequencies.  I find a noticeable improvement upsampling Tidal to DSD256 compared to the native PCM. The downside is the additional processing overhead which can lead to stuttering which is what  you are experiencing.

The T520 uses a AMD G Series CPU which is basically dual core 2GHz. Try setting the attenuation setting in Daphile Settings -> Audio Devices -> Advanced to -12db to minimise instability.

1 hour ago, Triplefun said:

DSD native or DoP (DSD over PCM) is basically the same. DoP is an alternative DSD transport layer with the DAC required to extract the DSD stream from the PCM stream. This could cause a minor overhead which is trivial in the scheme of things. The maximum DSD stream within DoP is DSD256.

DSD64 is the format used for SACD. The higher sampling of DSD128, 256 and 512 realise incremental improvements in sound with reduced noise in the upper frequencies.  I find a noticeable improvement upsampling Tidal to DSD256 compared to the native PCM. The downside is the additional processing overhead which can lead to stuttering which is what  you are experiencing.

The T520 uses a AMD G Series CPU which is basically dual core 2GHz. Try setting the attenuation setting in Daphile Settings -> Audio Devices -> Advanced to -12db to minimise instability.

Thank You very much for the comprehensive answer and tips!

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, 2marco said:

No one tried Daphile  ( even RT kernel ) on Intel Nuc  ?

thanks 

Marco

Of course daphile will work on a NUC. Depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend? I don't think the i7 will support dsd512 upsampling but it should do dsd256; as would the i5. Be wary of fan noise. Also look at other nucs such as those on aliexpress and gigabyte.

16 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

Of course daphile will work on a NUC. Depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend? I don't think the i7 will support dsd512 upsampling but it should do dsd256; as would the i5. Be wary of fan noise. Also look at other nucs such as those on aliexpress and gigabyte.

yes,

my question is relative to the clamor aroused  by the combination  Audiolunx/Intel Nuc and relative high jump in sound quality. 

As Audiolinux is a real time kernel operation,  i wonder if Daphile ( even in its variant real time kernel)/Intel Nuc  combination can make the same improvements.

Marco

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, pls let me know how to stay connected to mysqueezbox.com account after restart Daphile 18.07-x86_64.iso. (I use old laptop Lenovo G430 3000 intel centrino 2.2Mhz)

Also, I use Amanero384 (China), I only set output rate of DSD64 and DSD support: Native, how can I set higher? 

Thanks so much.

On 12/18/2018 at 7:48 PM, Viet said:

Hi All, pls let me know how to stay connected to mysqueezbox.com account after restart Daphile 18.07-x86_64.iso. (I use old laptop Lenovo G430 3000 intel centrino 2.2Mhz)

My understanding is that Daphile can no longer connect with mysqueezebox.com. See the conversation here:  https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108220-MySB-com-Player-won-t-show-up-Daphile

6 hours ago, Viet said:

My Daphile still connects to Mysqueezbox, but I have to signin each time when restart Daphile.

Rgds  

Leave unchecked 'disable mysqueezebox.com' on settings/general page and restart. Go to 'advanced mediaserver' at bottom of settings page, click on mysqueezebox tab and makes sure you have the correct user name and password. I also select 'keep settings in sync'.  Click apply at the bottom of the page and wait 10 seconds (?) for the mediaserver to restart.