IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

@bummer I use Daphile only in client/server setup (Daphile server and three Squeezelite clients (three different rooms) : SOtM sms200/Squeezelite and two rpi4/RoPieeeXL .

The most important thing for me is that I can put the server (Intel Nuc10i3/16GB ram) in a separate room to avoid acoustical noise (fans) as I run the C-3PO plugin to upsample to DSD512 .

To me Daphile server seems better than LMS as Daphile has some tweaks (in the Power section, like cpu governor and few other) that are not available in LMS and more Daphile is a complete OS/Player so easy to install and manage.

In your setup, with the new Aqua/Squeezelite module coming soon I think that you’ll have one of the best (if not the best over all) setup one could desire.

So I don’t think you can have a benefit moving to Windows/LMS setup ( … I must say I hate Windows, I left it more than 10 years ago for macos and Linux/Ubuntu and I cannot be happier)

Stefano

My audio system

On 7/26/2023 at 3:43 PM, stefano_mbp said:

@bummer I use Daphile only in client/server setup (Daphile server and three Squeezelite clients (three different rooms) : SOtM sms200/Squeezelite and two rpi4/RoPieeeXL .

The most important thing for me is that I can put the server (Intel Nuc10i3/16GB ram) in a separate room to avoid acoustical noise (fans) as I run the C-3PO plugin to upsample to DSD512 .

To me Daphile server seems better than LMS as Daphile has some tweaks (in the Power section, like cpu governor and few other) that are not available in LMS and more Daphile is a complete OS/Player so easy to install and manage.

In your setup, with the new Aqua/Squeezelite module coming soon I think that you’ll have one of the best (if not the best over all) setup one could desire.

So I don’t think you can have a benefit moving to Windows/LMS setup ( … I must say I hate Windows, I left it more than 10 years ago for macos and Linux/Ubuntu and I cannot be happier)

I came here via the Euphony Thread. I was wondering if it would be possible to use Daphile as a Roon Endpoint through Squeezelite? Thanks in advance.

best,

Martijn

• 3 weeks later...

@ stefano_mbp

After a long period of waiting I finally got the Squeezelite module. LinQ Squeezelite really sounds incredible! I no longer need the UPnP/DLNA bridge! The new module allows to stream to the Aqua LinQ network interface directly from any squeeze server. : here are some additional information.

Regards

Martin

@stefano_mbp

please stefano, would you give me some support? Daphile refuses to play from ram- drive! Whenever I load a playlist and click on "play from ram drive" Daphile starts loading (small turning wheel) but when I start playing - nothing happens. Daphile refuses to play!

My ram has 32 GB which should be really enough.

Do you have any idea how to get it to work?

Regards

Martin

@bummer hi Martin,

I suppose you’re using Daphile as the sever and Aqua LinQ as the Squeezelite client.

In that scenario it doesn’t make sense to play from ram as the function is intended for a single pc setup, in your one the actual player is Aqua LinQ/Squeezelite.

That said I think the issue could be the the file type:

using “play from ram” any file type is transcoded to wav type and it can be possible that the configuration of Squeezelite in the Aqua LinQ doesn’t “recognize” that format. 
Squeezelite should have the -W argument in the command string and you could ask Aqua if there is the possibility to add that argument.

Stefano

My audio system

@bummer it should be interesting to verify if in Aqua LinQ Squeezelite configuration could be possible to define the dimension of the stream and output buffers too ( it is the -b argument and it is expressed as

-b xxxxx:yyyyy

where xxxxx is the stream buffer and yyyyy is the output buffer, the measure unit for those buffers is KBites).

Defining great enough buffers allow Squeezelite to play from ram most if not all the track/s

On my SOtM sms200/Squeezelite I defined 500000 for both stream and output buffer as the sms200 has 2GB of ram, thus 1GB (500000x2) is used for buffers, on the rpi4/RoPieee/Squeezelite 4GB of ram are available and I could define 3GB for the buffers (1500000x2).

In both configurations so big buffers allow not only Squeezelite to play the most from ram but to access the network the less possible, this has a quite sensible impact on the performance.

Stefano

My audio system

Hi @stefano_mbp

Can you please share what settings do you use when playing DSD from Daphile to HQP using UPnP/DLNA Bridge in Daphile? 

To me it seems  broken somewhere between HQP and Bridge itself, since I happen only to play max one track in native format... 

In File types it shows only Transcode DSF to mp3 or Disable though I select No Transcode in Bridge... Looks really frustrating... 

Thanks in advance if you can help) 

9 hours ago, skipspence said:

Hi @stefano_mbp

Can you please share what settings do you use when playing DSD from Daphile to HQP using UPnP/DLNA Bridge in Daphile? 

To me it seems  broken somewhere between HQP and Bridge itself, since I happen only to play max one track in native format... 

In File types it shows only Transcode DSF to mp3 or Disable though I select No Transcode in Bridge... Looks really frustrating... 

Thanks in advance if you can help) 

You need to setup the UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin as follows

IMG_2662.thumb.jpeg.142cc72b097735d48cc2716a9f154ba0.jpegIMG_2663.thumb.jpeg.588e9fbbbcfbc243a52065088b7a9655.jpeg

You must first select the binary and generate the Configuration file 

set then Streaming options Http mode to no length 

and add in UPnP Player audio capabilities/Codecs the value dsf

Remember to restart the Bridge every time you change any parameter.

Now go to Player section and select the HQPlayer device, in Audio settings disable the settings as in the screenshot

IMG_2661.thumb.jpeg.71fed1b3fbebcaa744247bd973d448f4.jpeg

You should now be able to play to HQPlayer embedded dsf files

IMG_2658.thumb.jpeg.835e44a2cea51935185a5a3ea9a45708.jpeg
IMG_2664.thumb.jpeg.e9f33db2d4091822f8a6f66a47f3ab07.jpeg

If you have changed something in File types it’s better to reset all settings to default as there is no need to touch them

Stefano

My audio system

Screenshot_2023-08-23-14-37-11-092-edit_com.opera.browser.thumb.jpg.303fcfeba163657aa999238ea892dc0f.jpg

5 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

You need to setup the UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin as follows

IMG_2662.thumb.jpeg.142cc72b097735d48cc2716a9f154ba0.jpegIMG_2663.thumb.jpeg.588e9fbbbcfbc243a52065088b7a9655.jpeg

You must first select the binary and generate the Configuration file 

set then Streaming options Http mode to no length 

and add in UPnP Player audio capabilities/Codecs the value dsf

Remember to restart the Bridge every time you change any parameter.

Now go to Player section and select the HQPlayer device, in Audio settings disable the settings as in the screenshot

IMG_2661.thumb.jpeg.71fed1b3fbebcaa744247bd973d448f4.jpeg

You should now be able to play to HQPlayer embedded dsf files

IMG_2658.thumb.jpeg.835e44a2cea51935185a5a3ea9a45708.jpeg
IMG_2664.thumb.jpeg.e9f33db2d4091822f8a6f66a47f3ab07.jpeg

If you have changed something in File types it’s better to reset all settings to default as there is no need to touch them

Thanks @stefano_mbp

But no go for me - exactly the same settings as you advise.. 

Can't understand why File Types shows me only Transcode mp3 with no other options, I reseted to defaults many times... Screenshot_2023-08-23-14-37-11-092-edit_com.opera.browser.thumb.jpg.303fcfeba163657aa999238ea892dc0f.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-23-14-35-59-844-edit_com.opera.browser.jpg

8 minutes ago, skipspence said:

Thanks @stefano_mbp

But no go for me - exactly the same settings as you advise.. 

Can't understand why File Types shows me only Transcode mp3 with no other options, I reseted to defaults many times... Screenshot_2023-08-23-14-37-11-092-edit_com.opera.browser.thumb.jpg.303fcfeba163657aa999238ea892dc0f.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-23-14-35-59-844-edit_com.opera.browser.jpg

Very strange …. this is my file type section (for dsf/dff types)

IMG_2665.thumb.png.5ca5a8d50e64f91d67e1620ce1391976.png

what if you try to reboot Daphile? … and … which Daphile version are you running?

I’m running the last beta 64 bit not RT that you can find here , eventually try it

Stefano

My audio system

@skipspence maybe this can help … I primarily use HQPlayer embedded (OS version) as a UPnP renderer with Minimserver and a control point app (Lumïn or JPlay for iOS)

In order to have a perfect gapless playback in this scenario I defined in HQPe some environment variables that Jussi pointed me to.

Start a ssh session then type

su root

to acquire root rights

then type

nano /etc/default/hqplayerd

and paste these three variables (the first time the file hqplayerd is new and empty)

HQPLAYER_RESET_SDM=0

HQPLAYER_STREAM_FREEWHEEL=1

HQPLAYER_BUFFER_TIME=20000

then save and exit with ctrl-x/y/enter

reboot HQPlayer embedded

Stefano

My audio system