IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

There is a subtle difference to me, for the better.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 7/21/2020 at 1:01 AM, sedest said:

New stable version.

===================================================================
2020-07-20 version 20.07 (x86_64, x86_64-rt & i486) changes:
- LMS update to 8.0 branch (Jul 11th 2020, git commit: af8ebd6).
- Support for Ogg FLAC radio stations
- WDS support to enable Samba file server discovery on Windows 10
- SquashFS system image compression switched from XZ to Zstd
- Kernel update to 4.19.132 and 4.19.132-rt59
- Daphile built with GCC 9.3
- Major component updates:
  - Perl from 5.28 to 5.30 series
  - Python from 3.6 to 3.7 series
  - Samba from 4.10 to 4.11 series
  - Glibc from 2.29 to 2.30
- Bug fixes, minor modifications and component updates
===================================================================

Hi, I was trying to freshly install the latest rt version to my 2015 MacBook pro (running daphile 19-12 rt version without problem), after hitting F1 and choosing language, key mapping got completely messed up. For example "'" key is now mapped to "t" and other keys are mapped to random "^@" unicode gibberish, making it impossible to proceed with configuration. Tried selecting different language and connect usb keyboard, same result.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 11:11 PM, AudioBob said:

Hi Renato,

Your video is a beautiful presentation of Daphile and the Material Skin (and Hardware!).

Can you please tell me 2 things about how you use the Material Skin?

1. In the Album Artist view, you show the Artists as thumbnails. How do you do this? (I can only get a list in Album Artists ☹️)0

2. You press what looks like an "Information" button on the top right hand corner of the screen, which then shows various artist information. My system does not show this button. Do I have to enable it somehow?

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards, Rob.

Both need the "information about music and artists" plugin activate from Michael Herger. Best plugin with material skin
But big database will take more time to be scanned if you keep the picture research

Hi guys! Is there someone using the Hotspot in Daphile to help me out please?

I cannot connect to Daphile Hotspot trying to fill in the default password in smartphone which sees the Hotspot but refuse to connect saying that maybe there's wrong password... Tried it many times with always the same result.   

Is there something wrong that I do?

Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, skipspence said:

Hi guys! Is there someone using the Hotspot in Daphile to help me out please?

I cannot connect to Daphile Hotspot trying to fill in the default password in smartphone which sees the Hotspot but refuse to connect saying that maybe there's wrong password... Tried it many times with always the same result.   

Is there something wrong that I do?

Thanks in advance!

Asking a stupid question here. Did you make sure Daphile actually has an IP address?

If you connect a monitor to the PC with Daphile, it will show an IP address on the screen.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

4 hours ago, botrytis said:

Asking a stupid question here. Did you make sure Daphile actually has an IP address?

If you connect a monitor to the PC with Daphile, it will show an IP address on the screen.

You mean static IP, of course it has. Enabling hotspot means daphile maintains it's own wi-fi sid (daphile) which I can connect to to control player, i.e. no need to connect to local network, or in case when there's not a local net. My phone actually can see daphile hotspot but cannot connect to using the the right password (secret1234 by default or any other one). So I can't get why?🤔

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Pls. help

I use one laptop with Daphile RT and one DIY fanless PC with JRiver (as server I suppose?). Two can connect via Dnla settings (by ethernet). Daphile recognizes JRiver PC as player, but Jriver can't play (Youtube, online radio ...) from Daphile. 

Before, both work well with Amanero pure DSD  DAC separately.

Thank for reading.

• 3 months later...

Hi, Happy Holidays!!

and please take note that unfortunately the latest version of Daphile, 2020-12-29 version 20.12 (x86_64, x86_64-rt & i486) changes:
- LMS update to Dec 22nd, 2020 Git version (8.0 branch, commit:8b4b6da)
- Kernel update to 5.4.85 and 5.4.85-rt47
- Bug fixes and component updates

seems not to be working properly, at least in my environment i.e. no Tidal, no end devices, no library browsing, resulting crashes etc, so please be aware before you decide to upgrade from previous beta, which was fine, Tidal etc...

Hope that developer will fix it soon and we all hopefully enjoy this great piece of software into New Year 2021!

Cheers and may you stay tuned to Daphile for good!

it's already fixed with an update to version 21.01b031643-x86-64_RT

kernel 5.4.86-daphiler-t47

No more crashes galore since the update

Tidal plugin works again :-)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Hello,

I wonder if the speed of USB stick for USB booting could make Daphile sounds better. The Current USB 2.0 speed roughly 30Mbs/10Mbs (read/record). USB 3.0 is about 150/25 and USB 3.1 is much higher 200/150.

Any ideas? Has anyone tried yet?

Thank you

Correct me if I'm wrong but daphile "core" is send to the RAM, so whatever the speed of the usb port it change nothing, just the loading time maybe.

I'd also a question, since the 20.08 I can't use Trackstat anymore (unactive and disappear from the plugin list). The last version don't correct it, other return for Trackstat?

7 hours ago, saroumanjs said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but daphile "core" is send to the RAM, so whatever the speed of the usb port it change nothing, just the loading time maybe.

I'd also a question, since the 20.08 I can't use Trackstat anymore (unactive and disappear from the plugin list). The last version don't correct it, other return for Trackstat?

Yes, you're right, Daphile works from RAM, but loading time can matter, though normally USB 2.0 is more than enough.

Never used Trackstat plugin, but checked now the last beta and, no - there's no such in the plugin list anymore.

USB sticks are not 'cleaner' than RAM, I used an INtel Optane stick to boot the OS from and load some FLAC files, it sounds better yet the stick recently died...Am looking into buying a larger Optane stick of the second or third generation

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Am I right? In digital music, especially online streaming, faster is better sound! Pls look at somethings: SSD, USB A-B cable, ethernet cable ....

While Daphile working, the light in booting USB stick always flashing!

That's why I think USB stick's speed matters, besides when loading.

Thank you all guys. 

your USB stick does nothing much other than adding noise once the OS is loaded, swapping your RAM for cleaner sounding probably does more for sound quality. 

there is a space used for stockage on the USB key (but who use it? ), this certainly why the loght still flashing. But just for update facility, you have to install on a definitive disk, an old small ssd is perfect ;).

For my trasckstat trouble, still not present on the plugin list on the 21.01 version :(. No response on the Facebook chat :/

I somehow think that plugins are kept by the writers of the source code, did you contact them?

I have it working with the last version , the update of the update of the update...  21.01-b091525-x86-RT

Hello Guys, I'm new to Daphile and also to this forum and would like to start with big thank you to developers for their great work, it's stunning piece of software.

I'm fiddling around with the settings and found out the message in section Audio device - Advanced settings about clipping asking me to increase attenuation to prevent it. By mistake I take the slider to the left side and set it to 0 :)

After rebooting I was surprised by increase in sound quality, the sound become more clear, articulated and bass more controlled and full. And of course, new warning msg with huge nr. of samples processed with clipping.

I have googled the clipping issues and somehow I understand the theory behind, but opinions are different on this topic - few people claime that clipping can damage speakers, others that its pushing speakers to their limit and its actually not bad at all. 

I  set now the attenuation value to -2dB to be on the safe side, but SQ slightly decreased..

Thank you for your kind opinion on this topic.

Pavol

there is a difference between clipping in the digital domain and clipping in your amp, clipping in your amp can result in damaging  speaker simply because you are sending DC like signals through the voicecoil of your speakers that heat them up but do not produce sound. Digital clipping MAY do the same but there is a less direct link, because it is not guaranteed that your amp is following the input signal.

You want to avoid anything else than very occasional clipping as it is a distortion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)