IGNORED

Audirvana 1.5 Beta

Juanitox would you mind telling me what settings you are using in iTunes and A+ to use Airplay. I can't seem to get it to play at all. I didn't understand Damien's last post in response to my question. Thanks.

Damien and Juanitox. No need for help. I figured out how to run A+, iTunes and Airplay. As you said Damien you have to select Computer not Airplay device ( Airport Express in my case ) from the Airplay icon drop down in iTunes. Then select Airplay from the Sound section of System Preferences. I also had to select a different setting ( software only ) in the Audirvana Preferences Audio Volume section. I will listen for a longer period of time and post more if problems arise.

Hi Damian

I'm having a problem with the volume control function in that it will only allow volume adjustment with PCM files. It does not work with DSD. I'm running 1.5.1 with playback through iTunes.

Thanks, Vin

Hi Vin,

Volume control works only on PCM signal, and this is because DSD signal is not "editing" friendly. FYI, most of DSD mastering softwares used by the recording studios convert the DSD signal in PCM (e.g. DXD) for the processing, before converting back to DSD.

So when playing to a native DSD capable DAC, there is no volume control in the digital domain.

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Good to know. Thanks Damien.

Hi Vin,

Volume control works only on PCM signal, and this is because DSD signal is not "editing" friendly. FYI, most of DSD mastering softwares used by the recording studios convert the DSD signal in PCM (e.g. DXD) for the processing, before converting back to DSD.

So when playing to a native DSD capable DAC, there is no volume control in the digital domain.

Damien

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Beta Vs 1.5.1

Do you get this feeling with all tracks, whatever their type (FLAC, ALAC) ?

Damien

Hmm.. After comparing the last beta with 1.5.1 on more tracks, I'm torn.

The resolution of 1.5.1 seems better - greater clarity and openness. (Eg the complex marching track on 2L's Nordic Sound sampler).

However, 1.4.9.11 delivers a warmer and richer tone (on this rig).

I prefer the older beta version listening to Antoine Herve's piano (FLAC), Sonny Rollins' sax (FLAC) and pinched female vocals like Joanna Newsom (AIFF). Notes are fuller/

rounder/sweeter/richer/bassier/less bright.

i don't think the differences are unique to a particular format - but may need to test more. I don't have many APE tracks to test, but one classical recording suggests the same differences.

So ideally I want the resolution of 1.5.1 with the tone/bass balance of 1.4.9.11.

Of course this might be just my peculiar experience - my ears, my rig... So no clue as to how it sounds in another rig.

I very much hope Damien can find a way to have the best from both versions.

I am being greedy, of course. Your work is much appreciated Damien!

_______

Mac mini (2010) (Mountain lion, A+ - playlist mode, direct mode 1, no oversampling) -> Neo S USB -> Burson Conductor DAC (with Tenor USB receiver chip)

(+ Burson amp and Gallo Strada with sub)

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Damien, I'm experiencing an issue that may be new or one I simply hadn't noticed before. Listening to the 2012 Wispelwey recording of the six Bach cello suites and as Audirvana begins playing each new track, I hear a fraction of a second of. . .something else. It is *not* the first fraction of a second of the new track being repeated (as I can tell it's a different note), but not sure if it's from the track just before or another track entirely.

As I said, the player may have been doing this all along, but most of my recordings don't have any content at the very beginning of a track so it's not normally noticeable, or it could be something about this particular recording that causes Audirvana to very temporarily lose its place moving between tracks - not sure.

UPDATE: Just discovered it may be related to a difference in Audirvana's playback between native bit rate (the recording I'm listening to is an ALAC rip of a 16/44 Redbook CD) vs. upsampling (e.g., 4x to 24/176) - the issue does *not* occur when Audirvana is upsampling, only when playing back at native bit rate. Since I listen almost exclusively at 2x/4x upsampling, I would not have encountered this particular issue before.

No huge issue, but something you may wish to take a look at.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Hi Damien

Thanks for the explanation. This limitation should be noted on the Audirvana website under Dithered Volume Control. Currently, all it says is "

High quality volume control offered using MBIT+ dithering".

I may not have purchased a license if I had known that volume adjustment is only possible with PCM files.

Vin

Hi Vin,

Damien

Damien,

Just a quick question / feature request... ;)

Is there any straightforward way to query the DAC for it's ID or Type and display under Audrirvana Preferences -> Audio System GUI panel?

The reason I ask is there are some devices, such as some new McIntosh gear and no one knows if it has the ESS 9016, ESS 9018, or a Burr Brown without tearing into one of them to check. :/

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Hi Vin,

Damien

Hi Damien,

Thanks for this clear message. I have a closely related question: on my Benchmark DAC2, Audirvana's rotating button comes in red, which suggests volume control by the DAC. Indeed when I change the volume in Audirvana, the volume changes in the DAC, but the physical button in front of the Benchmark DAC2 does not move. What does that mean? Does that mean that the DAC2 has two successive volume controls inside it: one that moves its physical wheel and one that does not? Or does that mean that it is actually Audirvana that changes the volume before sending the data to the Benchmark?

One sign that makes me think that, in spite of the red cursor, Audirvana adjusts the volume before sending the data to the DAC is that, in DSD, if I change the volume in Audirvana (and I can), then the Benchmark DAC2 outputs no sound. In contrast, still in DSD, if I change the volume using the physical knob on the DAC, there is still sound, and the sound level changes.

Boris.

ok, so... just to report that friday I had two Kernel Panic reboots: one whilst using A+ 1.5.1 in playlist mode and another one whilst in iTunes integrated mode

I've been away for the we and, this morning, I found my headless MacMini was stuck on "grey boot screen with KP log". subsequent reboot attempts always lead to this very same situation

struggling now to bring it back to life somehow :-/

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Beta Vs 1.5.1

Just to continue this conversation with myself... I have returned to 1.5.1.

Turning up the sub has helped bring back much of the warmth I've been missing going from the beta to 1.5.1. However, there remains a delicacy and bloom to the beta that I miss in the new release.

It is more than just being fuller, with more weight in the lower frequencies. Perhaps it's a fuzzy softness that comes across as well rounded notes that I like so much? .. like the distortion of tubes that is so alluring.

I am curious to know if others have the same experience.. and whether Damien might be able to bring some if the delicacy and richness back. I'd be much obliged :-)

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

I'm listening to HDSD, with the Mytek, for the first time:

HDSD.png

The only problem I have is: if I check "use as stereo only" A+ plays 2CH to Stereo, if i uncheck the box A+ plays 5+1CH to Stereo (I think I have a downmix...) and sometimes plays the same track twice without going to the next track

Hi everyone,

I am currently using audirvana 1.5.1 with itunes integrated mode. There is a problem with the playback, this mode doesn't play tracks back to back with different resolutions. Ex. if I try to play 24/88 after 24/44 the player stops. To cure this problem I need to push stop button on the Audirvana and release itunes. After that 24/88 plays normally, but the next time when the resolution changes it happens again. Any suggestions?

ok, so... just to report that friday I had two Kernel Panic reboots: one whilst using A+ 1.5.1 in playlist mode and another one whilst in iTunes integrated mode

I've been away for the we and, this morning, I found my headless MacMini was stuck on "grey boot screen with KP log". subsequent reboot attempts always lead to this very same situation

great news (for Audirvana, I mean): RAM modules gone bad :-/

(Corsair MacMemory, so they don't get bad advertisement :-p )

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Thank you for adding major enhancements to an already superior music player. I confess that I don't have the technical background to understand the finer points of the AU Effect filters, or how some of them differ from each other.

My speakers (B&W CDM7SE) have pretty hot tweeters. Perhaps you can suggest a starting point to roll-off some of the hashness and sibilance I hear from cymbals, and from vocals, where a female singer might be too close to the microphone.

I assume that I should use either the high shelf filter, the lowpass filter, the band pass filter, or the graphic equalizer, but which, and what would be an appropriate starting point, without losing the amazing transparency that I otherwise enjoy in my music with Audirvana Plus.

TIA

It might be more than the tweeter. I also had a problem with higher frequencies being over-emphasized, and was under the impression there was something possibly wrong with my set up (it actually sometimes created some buzzing in my ear).

I found the audio unit named AUGraphicEQ very useful, it can not only improve the tonal emphasis to be more pleasant, but actually significantly increase the subjective sound quality, and result in a much more natural sounding system (for the same price).

I came up with a setting which has visual similarities with the one shown in the user manual, but I think the two settings will result in a very different sound. At least in my case, it appears the important part is that the frequencies up to 2 kHz are de-emphasized, while those in the range 3 kHz to 6 Khz should be de-emphasized very little, for a natural sound. This seem to be the same for different headphones and equipment that I have, even for the computer's internal speakers, though in each case one would fine-tune for the specific equipment being used.

I'm not sure if others will achieve the same result with the same settings, or if there are dependencies, but so far I wouldn't know what those might be, and expect this kind of setting to solve a common problem for anyone desiring a more natural sound.

Well, actually there is a cost: to avoid distortions at high volumes, all the individual settings in the graphic equalizer need to be 0 db or lower, and so the resulting overall volume is reduced. This means one might need a headphone amp with sufficient extra power.

AUGraphicEQsettings.png

Damien: Although the audio unit's quality is in general (subjectively) very, very good, occasionally there seem to be slight distortions. I had the impression these could be avoided by having a smooth curve of settings in the graphic EQ. However, when coincidentally took a look at my new Audiophilio USB-SPDIF converter, I saw it display 176/16, playing a 44/16 file with 4x up sampling. I would have assumed that both up sampling and the audio unit calculations are done in 24 bit, so I was surprised about that. When playing files which are 24 bit natively, it does display 176/24, so it seems to detect a difference somehow.

Are the calculations really done in 16 bit, or how does Audiophilio know about the file's native bit width? It seems to make sense for the calculations to be 24 bit, especially for graphic equalizers which reduce the volume in some frequency range.

P.S. regarding the graphic equalizer settings: They do depend a bit on the music/recording, but in my case so far those are nuances which are not obvious visually, for example a bit more or less bass or treble or mids, but basically the same curve. So I am not sure if I could take the curve shown in the user manual (which I found only later on) as a confirmation that there is a common problem, as that curve differs more substantially (in the frequency ranges being emphasized, or not) from the ones I have found so far when optimizing for specific albums.

Hi Damien

Thanks for the explanation. This limitation should be noted on the Audirvana website under Dithered Volume Control. Currently, all it says is "

High quality volume control offered using MBIT+ dithering".

I may not have purchased a license if I had known that volume adjustment is only possible with PCM files.

Vin

Digital volume control from 1 bit DSD track? To get a superior digital volume control you need at least 69 bits...

Some DACs doesn't have even a volume control, and if they have it, is analog.

You also had a 15 days trial period!

Roch

It might be more than the tweeter. I also had a problem with higher frequencies being over-emphasized, and was under the impression there was something possibly wrong with my set up (it actually sometimes created some buzzing in my ear).

I found the audio unit named AUGraphicEQ very useful, it can not only improve the tonal emphasis to be more pleasant, but actually significantly increase the subjective sound quality, and result in a much more natural sounding system (for the same price).

I came up with a setting which has visual similarities with the one shown in the user manual, but I think the two settings will result in a very different sound. At least in my case, it appears the important part is that the frequencies up to 2 kHz are de-emphasized, while those in the range 3 kHz to 6 Khz should be de-emphasized very little, for a natural sound. This seem to be the same for different headphones and equipment that I have, even for the computer's internal speakers, though in each case one would fine-tune for the specific equipment being used.

I'm not sure if others will achieve the same result with the same settings, or if there are dependencies, but so far I wouldn't know what those might be, and expect this kind of setting to solve a common problem for anyone desiring a more natural sound.

Well, actually there is a cost: to avoid distortions at high volumes, all the individual settings in the graphic equalizer need to be 0 db or lower, and so the resulting overall volume is reduced. This means one might need a headphone amp with sufficient extra power.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5979[/ATTACH]

Equalizers are not designed for remove harsh or buzzing, but to mach your listening room with the speakers. Please try in some other place the origin, like some switching power supplies on your system.

There are also a lot of bad recordings in the street.

Roch

Damien: Although the audio unit's quality is in general (subjectively) very, very good, occasionally there seem to be slight distortions. I had the impression these could be avoided by having a smooth curve of settings in the graphic EQ. However, when coincidentally took a look at my new Audiophilio USB-SPDIF converter, I saw it display 176/16, playing a 44/16 file with 4x up sampling. I would have assumed that both up sampling and the audio unit calculations are done in 24 bit, so I was surprised about that. When playing files which are 24 bit natively, it does display 176/24, so it seems to detect a difference somehow.

Are the calculations really done in 16 bit, or how does Audiophilio know about the file's native bit width? It seems to make sense for the calculations to be 24 bit, especially for graphic equalizers which reduce the volume in some frequency range.

Perhaps that was really some coincidence: I currently usually see 176/24 for 44/16 files. My settings might have changed (but not the Audirvana version I'm using). Will keep an eye on it. Unfortunately, I did not write down the track I saw 176/16 with.

Equalizers are not designed for remove harsh or buzzing, but to mach your listening room with the speakers. Please try in some other place the origin, like some switching power supplies on your system.

Or like my ears...

There are also a lot of bad recordings in the street.

Roch

Perhaps some of those bad recordings are not as bad as we think. Do you have one that you would care about? Try it with my settings!

Using Audiophilio 1 with test files, I checked my digital set up for bit perfectness. With Audio Units turned off, my set up is indeed bit perfect. Since I also get similar results with the internal speakers, as well as with a FireWire-connected Apogee Duet and AKG 702 headphones, instead of the V800/V181/LCD2 combination, I don't think it is caused by the analog part of the set up either. Could my ears be the origin of the "problem"? Or my expectations? Well, the sound of voices, for example, with those graphic equalizer settings, appears to be more like what I hear in the "real" world.