IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

I have just tried to install NAA on my new USBridge Sig, I grabbed the naa-360-raspberrypi3.7z, flashed the card no problem and wrote the *.img file to the card via etcher. The card is now in the USBridge but I can’t see it via HQ Player. 

Am I missing something? 

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2019 at 4:49 AM, Miska said:

I have some Allo overlays now included on the image, but I'm not sure what the USBridge stuff needs...

• allo-boss-dac-pcm512x-audio
  • allo-digione
  • allo-katana-dac-audio
  • allo-piano-dac-pcm512x-audio
  • allo-piano-dac-plus-pcm512x-audio

If you are referring to the USBridge Signature (latest and greatest version), allo has a read me file for setting up raspbian.

Step 2 is only required if you are using an external wifi, Sig doesn't have wifi built it.  The sig has a Pi Compute Module, CM3+ for its processor.

The original USBridge is based on the Allo Sparky board.

download latest rasbian OS from official website

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

1) update ASIX driver :  works  4.19.50-v7+ kernel onwards

ssh or terminal login using OS credentials

cd /usr/src

sudo wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/USBridgeSig/install.sh

sh install.sh

2) RTL8812AU wifi driver : insert USB WiFI module on startup.

thanks to https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194859

ssh or terminal login using OS credentials

(before download , check the install-wifi already present or not  ls /usr/bin/install-wifi 
to avoid duplication remove it  rm /usr/bin/install-wifi )

sudo wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/USBridgeSig/install-wifi -O /usr/bin/install-wifi

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/install-wifi

for help

sudo install-wifi -h

sudo install-wifi

3) UsbridgSig ethernet driver version check using modinfo : run below command , correct version is v0.1.4

modinfo ax88179_178a | grep version

version: v0.1.4

on dietpi or volumio versions after kernel update Ethernet driver need to check the version
if it is not v0.1.4  follow the "update ASIX driver" steps in this page.

One last thing, some people (including me) have to use sw based on an older pi kernal

http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/DietPi/rpi4.14.92/

If I use the latest, I get pop/clicks similar to listening to vinyl.  Allo says that pi will fix, hopefully in their next release.

5 hours ago, randytsuch said:

If you are referring to the USBridge Signature (latest and greatest version), allo has a read me file for setting up raspbian.

Yes, but my NAA images are my complete custom OS build. I'm not interested in Raspbian which is pretty antiquated.

I'm curious what is needed vs the most recent kernel releases.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Yes, but my NAA images are my complete custom OS build. I'm not interested in Raspbian which is pretty antiquated.

I'm curious what is needed vs the most recent kernel releases.

Was hoping that the first item in the attached would be helpful.

Allo Sig has a different Ethernet chip, so they install the Asix driver.  

That's the extent of my knowledge.  You may have better luck asking in the Allo forum to catch their attention.

On 12/20/2019 at 11:04 PM, randytsuch said:

Was hoping that the first item in the attached would be helpful.

Allo Sig has a different Ethernet chip, so they install the Asix driver.  

It talks about some USB WiFi stuff, but NAA image doesn't practically support any WiFi at all...

On 12/20/2019 at 11:04 PM, randytsuch said:

That's the extent of my knowledge.  You may have better luck asking in the Allo forum to catch their attention.

That is beyond what I'm capable of maintaining. If they want support, they can email me with exact details and I can take a look at it if it is feasible. But otherwise I'll support only things that are generally shipped with RasPi, especially given that I cannot test anything else because all I have is standard RasPi hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jussi,

I am running 2 MacMini’s.. the first is a core2 duo with Roon Server, the 2nd is a 2012 i7 with HQP4 Desktop. I have the NAA running on the i7 which ultimately plays to a Sonore Optical Module and Optical Rendu. It is working but I am wondering is if it is even needed? I have Roon configured with the IP Address of the i7 and that is reflected in Terminal on the i7 mini. The oRendu is configured for HQP as well.  I’m guessing this is all good.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

After using the search function with no success I am asking:

I have both Audirvana 3.5 and HQP 4 installed on a MacMini, which is connected through LAN. 

I have a Naim NDX Streamer, also connected through LAN.

Audirvana finds my NDX2 as a UNPNP - network streamer / player and I can play music through LAN.

HQPlayer4 doesn't find anything.

Is this correct or intended, because streamers would require to have

HQPlayer NAA installed? 

Thanks, Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

18 hours ago, BCRich said:

Hi Jussi,

I am running 2 MacMini’s.. the first is a core2 duo with Roon Server, the 2nd is a 2012 i7 with HQP4 Desktop. I have the NAA running on the i7 which ultimately plays to a Sonore Optical Module and Optical Rendu. It is working but I am wondering is if it is even needed? I have Roon configured with the IP Address of the i7 and that is reflected in Terminal on the i7 mini. The oRendu is configured for HQP as well.  I’m guessing this is all good.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

I wouldn’t think so.  The whole point of the NAA software is to make HQPlayer available to a device that isn’t close to the DAC physically.  If the DAC is directly connected to the HQPlayer machine, then NAA is superfluous.

Thanks for the input. But that’s just it the i7 mini that is hosting HQP is attached to the network not my DAC. So my guess is I do need it. I haven’t had time to dig in, plus it’s a pita getting everything working after it stops for whatever reason. There are 3 variables, Roon Core configured for HQP, the HQP mini itself and then the Optical Rendu which has an HQP NAA Protocol as well.

7 hours ago, Sevenfeet said:

I wouldn’t think so.  The whole point of the NAA software is to make HQPlayer available to a device that isn’t close to the DAC physically.  If the DAC is directly connected to the HQPlayer machine, then NAA is superfluous.

Again, Audirvana finds the Naim player on the network, HQPlayer does not. IS this because HQPlayer can't or because of another reason? There is no USB-connection between PC/Mac and the player of course.

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

So, I have tried to put M2Tech Hiface USB to SPDIF Converter in between the PC and the Naim. This is working -> HQP through WASAPI but it doesn't sound good and I am doubling up the DACs as the NDX2 has got a DAC built in. 

LAN with only Roon sounds better. LAN with only Audirvana sounds better.

Is there another trick I can use to make HQP detect the Naim NDX2 over LAN?

4 hours ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Is there another trick I can use to make HQP detect the Naim NDX2 over LAN?

It would need Naim to add support for HQPlayer NAA protocol...

Again, Audirvana finds the Naim player on the network, HQPlayer does not. IS this because HQPlayer can't or because of another reason?

Audirvana finds the UPnP Renderer functionality in Naim. However, that is unsuitable protocol for HQPlayer's use, instead HQPlayer uses it's own proprietary protocol. Just like Roon also does.

1. Thanks for taking time to clarify this

2. Soundwise u have one of the - if not the best upsampling player in the world

3. Naim is Hifi highest end and superior to most of the brands mentioned on this entire forum

4. This alone would require u to support their protocol like Damien does and certainly not them - how dare u? Bryston, McIntosh, Accuphase, all of them and potentially others have to make nice for HQPlayer?

Is it so damn difficult to implement UPnP support side by side with your own protocol?

Chris

29 minutes ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

4. This alone would require u to support their protocol like Damien does and certainly not them - how dare u? Bryston, McIntosh, Accuphase, all of them and potentially others have to make nice for HQPlayer?

Is it so damn difficult to implement UPnP support side by side with your own protocol?

It is not about how hard it is, but the UPnP is simply not fit for purposes of HQPlayer. (and by the way, Roon doesn't support UPnP either, for slightly similar reasons)

How do those companies dare not to support my NAA protocol? ;) Is it so damn difficult for them to include the offered software module? Some other companies don't seem to have as much trouble doing it.

15 hours ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

1. Thanks for taking time to clarify this

2. Soundwise u have one of the - if not the best upsampling player in the world

3. Naim is Hifi highest end and superior to most of the brands mentioned on this entire forum

Chris

Naim is Hifi highest end and superior to most of the brands mentioned on this entire forum??? 

This is a very bold statement. I would say Naim is very good equipment, but would never go as far to say that. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jacky820 said:

I am working good with Windows 2019 and Pi4 NNA, hence I want to connect the HQPlayer and NNA with a single network cable rather with network switch with DHCP>

This kind of setup usually doesn't work due to multicast routing challenges, it is not recommended. NAA is intended for use in regular switched home network and there is no advantage in using direct connection, but instead some negative sides.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

This kind of setup usually doesn't work due to multicast routing challenges, it is not recommended. NAA is intended for use in regular switched home network and there is no advantage in using direct connection, but instead some negative sides.

Thank you Miska. Could you please let me know how can login to the console for pi4 NNA?

1 hour ago, Jacky820 said:

Thank you Miska, I tried with ssh and web port 80 but fail, could you please share with me which port I should use for the connection?

1473394121_Screenshot2020-01-16at6_58_39AM.thumb.png.e7e0e6e16e799cee46c27bdddf7e4657.png1090996167_Screenshot2020-01-16at7_01_05AM.thumb.png.81fb1bb7157842526f1a12c693005ece.png1611592112_Screenshot2020-01-16at7_01_37AM.thumb.png.311b67538eb87646201152f4d50f07bc.png

There is no ssh for security reasons (default passwords are bad), only console login. So you need to connect HDMI monitor and USB keyboard to login on console.